2010-2011 University of Arkansas Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mrs. Dupuy just sent an email concerning the need for alternates to update their contact information. Thats somewhat promising...

:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

So how would you go about updating information? Would you just send in an email, or is there an address where we can do it?

So how would you go about updating information? Would you just send in an email, or is there an address where we can do it?

American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, yeah... no joke. I'm starting to believe it will be closer to the 15th, like someone had proposed earlier.

Patience is not my virtue! :oops:

I had convinced myself that maybe someone would hear something around the first week or so of May, but I think you guys are right about it being closer to the 15th...

+1 Hopefully some good news comes soon to at least a few of us!

The year I was waitlisted, it started as a trickle a couple of days before the 15th, then fast and furious the few days after. Then mot much at all after the end of May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know approximately how many people get onto the waitlist and about how many people get accepted off the waitlist. I am an OOS applicant with a 29 on the MCAT.

Does anyone know approximately how many people get onto the waitlist and about how many people get accepted off the waitlist. I am an OOS applicant with a 29 on the MCAT.

That's information that UAMS does not release, and would certainly change from year to year. My advice from someone who has been on the waitlist before is to plan for both acceptance, and to have to reapply.

Yeah, that's probably the best advice:
Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

If you haven't already, look into DO schools. Most are very well rounded and provide you the opportunities to take the MD Step exams. For those with "average" MCAT and GPA scores for MD schools, you will be well and above the mark for DO schools. Even if you don't 100% plan on attending the DO school, it still makes great insurance and can be a solid and reliable backup plan.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's probably the best advice:
Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

If you haven't already, look into DO schools. Most are very well rounded and provide you the opportunities to take the MD Step exams. For those with "average" MCAT and GPA scores for MD schools, you will be well and above the mark for DO schools. Even if you don't 100% plan on attending the DO school, it still makes great insurance and can be a solid and reliable backup plan.

Yeah, I agree. I secured an acceptance at WCU-COM; but the depost was 3k and I never sent it ~

Almostcountry - Every time I see that you have posted, I get excited because I'm sure that when I read your post, you will be telling us that you have received an alternate list acceptance. You can imagine my disappointment when this is not the case. Will you please hurry up and deliver some good news?? :):oops:

Just released my UAMS spot (out-of-state, if it matters). Hope one of you folks waiting gets some good news shortly. Best of luck to whoever lands it.

I dont quite understand why students wait until the 15th to make the golden decision.

I mean, shouldn't students have a pretty solid idea of where they want to attend medical school without being forced to decide on one particular day?

I feel as though, with May 15th approaching, more seats should open up before D-day then afterwards, as us pre-meds aren't renowned procrastinators.

Or is it that some med schools just wait until May 15th to being movement?

Whats going on in this world?

Thats just the last day to submit an intention to attend; so if the school has not heard from you - your seat is automatically given up.

I believe so atleast

I mean, shouldn't students have a pretty solid idea of where they want to attend medical school without being forced to decide on one particular day?
It's usually a financial aid thing. Schools tend to drag their feet giving out scholarships and whatnot, so there is a strong disincentive to give up your other acceptances if you think there's a chance you can get some free cash from a school or, better yet, get two schools in a bidding war of sorts. That said, there are surely at least a few other schools that don't move their waitlists until late in the game. You can also blame the med school admissions process for being piss-poor in general and far more strung-out than necessary. It's a multifactorial problem.

I understand hoping (and thus subsequently waiting to withdraw) in the hopes of some "free cash", however that situation is so rare it shouldn't be the norm. It seems like too many students hold out til the bitter end hoping for money that isn't coming...

I can't knock others too much though. The process is the process, and as long as it works out at some point for me I'll be happy :) :xf:

Oh yeah, I think there are a ton of factors to consider. If an instate student has an acceptance at UAMS and is an alternate at John Hopkins... They may hold out until they hear something from JH med.

I'll be withdrawing my spot in the coming days.

I'm one of the above, as I have been waiting for my financial aid package from my number 1 school. I wish you all the best of luck.

Last edited:
I dont quite understand why students wait until the 15th to make the golden decision.

I feel as though, with May 15th approaching, more seats should open up before D-day then afterwards, as us pre-meds aren't renowned procrastinators.

Or is it that some med schools just wait until May 15th to being movement?

Whats going on in this world?
I agree with what Milkman said about money (from what I've seen, the lucky ones with multiple acceptances are often just finding out about any scholarships that may sway their decision in April or early May), and at UAMS the deadline for using the option to defer a year for accepted IS students is also May 15th, so you've got a lot of potential movement right there with people deciding to take a year off to get married, travel, have fun, take care of family issues that arise, etc. with med school acceptance "locked in" so to speak. (I know several in my class who deferred a year.)

Congrats AlmostCountry :) Hopefully I'll be joining you in celebration soon! :xf:

Congrats Almostcountry!

any advice for us waitlisted students?

have you heard anymore info on the stats of waitlist movement?

wish you the best, well done.:thumbup:

Congratulations AlmostCountry! So excited for you! Hopefully several of us will be joining you in the fall! Good luck to everyone! At least we know the movement has begun!

My stats were decent at best; 25 MCAT (10,6,9). 3.5 overall, 3.9sci.

ec: army medic, year overseas in Iraq-hospital ER; filmed a documentary over an orphanage in cambodia

My stats were decent at best; 25 MCAT (10,6,9). 3.5 overall, 3.9sci.

ec: army medic, year overseas in Iraq-hospital ER; filmed a documentary over an orphanage in cambodia

Good work almostcountry and congrats! I hope to join you in the fall.

Now that movement has begun I can barely focus on anything else until after the mail comes (at 2 pm for me!!). Ahhhh lol

Good luck guys; I imagine there will be a flood of letters being sent out very shortly ~

I'm officially a preceptor for the ICM (read: doctoring fluff) course next year. Sucks for you guys. :smuggrin:

Congrats MilkmanAl! Hopefully I'll get the chance to test my meddle with you next year in ICM haha

Let's just say this: even if you don't know me by name, I probably won't be tough to pick out. :laugh: Also, you're dangerously close to volunteering yourself for a sexual history demonstration, assuming neither of my friends coming in next year are in your group.

haha if I end up getting in I'll take the punishment.

Do you know if the waitlist is seperate for OOS vs IS? I had heard they like to replace OOS with OOS, and vice versa. However, someone else just told me it's a mixed list. I guess in the long run it doesn't matter too much, just curious.

If thats the case; I've already seen several OOS post that they've denied their seats.

Just anecdotal though - Good Luck

haha if I end up getting in I'll take the punishment.

Do you know if the waitlist is seperate for OOS vs IS? I had heard they like to replace OOS with OOS, and vice versa. However, someone else just told me it's a mixed list. I guess in the long run it doesn't matter too much, just curious.

I don't know for sure, but I think everyone is ranked on the waitlist regardless of state affiliation. I can't back this up with evidence, but some conversations I've had leads me to believe it's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.