2010-2011 University of Arkansas Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I think I'm going to have to bail on the 1:30 tour offer for this Saturday. This night shift thing is a serious pain, and I can't see myself wanting to sit around on campus for an extra couple hours to wait for everyone to finish up. If you were really looking forward to touring the hospital, send me a PM, and maybe we can work something out.

For the record, I still plan to take people around on later interview dates when I haven't worked a 12-hour night immediately beforehand.

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck, everyone. Hope you guys enjoyed your tour. ;)

By the way, you're welcome to contact me any time if you're curious about something. I'll even show you around if you're in town. Whatever works.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, I interviewed last weekend. I was pumped to go the the interview and get it out of the way and have the application process over with. I never realized that once the interview was over it would be an excruciatingly long wait to hear anything. Does anyone know what applicants get letters at the early (DEC. and Jan.) times? are they the most extremely qualified, or are they affiliated with certain congressional district?

During my application cycle, the decision mailing dates were Dec., Jan, and Feb. 15, with the big one being Feb. 15. As I understand it, the earlier dates were for the people they were most certain about admitting, for whatever reason. UAMS admissions works in mysterious ways, so that could mean just about anything. However, I can basically guarantee that you OOS kids won't be hearing anything until whenever the last mailing date is.

During my application cycle, the decision mailing dates were Dec., Jan, and Feb. 15, with the big one being Feb. 15. As I understand it, the earlier dates were for the people they were most certain about admitting, for whatever reason. UAMS admissions works in mysterious ways, so that could mean just about anything. However, I can basically guarantee that you OOS kids won't be hearing anything until whenever the last mailing date is.

It was about the same dates for us too. I haven't actually talked to anyone that was notified in December, and only a few that were notified in January. The vast majority of us found out in February, so you guys should be prepared to wait a while. However, if you get a UAMS envelope in December or January, it might be time to break out the champagne.

I just got an email today from the admissions office with some good info.

"The Admissions Committee will conduct two business meetings, one in December and one in January. During those two meetings, a small number of Arkansas applicants with high MCATs, high GPAs, and otherwise excellent applications, and whose admissions files are 100% complete, may be reviewed and subsequently receive an early offer of acceptance. However, please know that the greater number of applications will be reviewed in February.

During the February Admissions Committee meeting, we will also create an Alternate List. All applicants will be notified by mail of their admissions status in about the third week of February. Those who are placed on the Alternate List should also be encouraged as each year a significant number of applicants make it off the Alternate List to matriculate into the Freshman class."- UAMS admissions office
We were told this year at a meeting that last year 40 spots were filled from the wait list, so that is promising

Last edited:
Judging by how many people in my class got in off the waitlist, I'd say 40 is actually a pretty small number, relatively speaking. There's a ton of waitlist movement here.

Judging by how many people in my class got in off the waitlist, I'd say 40 is actually a pretty small number, relatively speaking. There's a ton of waitlist movement here.

:shrug: When I was going through the process and talked to the Admissions office we were told that UAMS typically waitlists about 60 people a year and of that about half of the list will normally end up being matriculated due to spots opening up from deferrals, people attending elsewhere, etc. There are some in our class I know that got in off the waitlist, but most of them are out-of-state students. I know there's a "lot" of waitlist movement (I consider half a lot), but I don't think 40 is lower than average by any means, unless the admissions office was just pulling our leg. Either that or the waitlist activity has been decreasing in the last few years.

Thanks for the Replies, I'm sure i'll come up with more questions in the coming months.

Does anyone know how many positions are available for the rural practice program, i assume there is a limited number of "spots" they can fund each year.

:shrug: When I was going through the process and talked to the Admissions office we were told that UAMS typically waitlists about 60 people a year and of that about half of the list will normally end up being matriculated due to spots opening up from deferrals, people attending elsewhere, etc. There are some in our class I know that got in off the waitlist, but most of them are out-of-state students. I know there's a "lot" of waitlist movement (I consider half a lot), but I don't think 40 is lower than average by any means, unless the admissions office was just pulling our leg. Either that or the waitlist activity has been decreasing in the last few years.
Sorry, this is just a case of me not being clear at all. I'm saying that a huge chunk of our class was waitlisted - whether it was over 40 people or not, I'm not sure, but I can think of a good 20 off the top of my head - and that newer classes can expect to have more people than that due to the class size increase. It would really help if I wrote what I thought instead of just thinking it.

Also, it seems like just about everyone from OOS gets waitlisted. That's not a rule, by any means, but the VAST majority are.

Thanks for the Replies, I'm sure i'll come up with more questions in the coming months.

Does anyone know how many positions are available for the rural practice program, i assume there is a limited number of "spots" they can fund each year.
I'm not sure how many spots they offer. I'm not even sure who in our class is doing the program, but I'm sure there are a few. Morgan Hogue runs the rural programs office- I was considering the program for a while and she was great about answering my questions to help me make a decision on whether to apply or not- I'd recommend just contacting her directly and asking about it. It's never too early to start talking to them about that if it's something you're interested in.

Milkman- you're right, it does seem that almost all the OOS kids in our class were waitlisted initially. I don't know if that's because the OOS applicants first admitted may have multiple acceptance offers and go elsewhere causing spots open up, or if UAMS uses the waitlist to allow more OOS students to attend because they know some in-state ones will defer/go elsewhere. I do think that the option for an in-state to defer must contribute to waitlist movement- I know several people in our class that deferred a year and are now attending, so someone got their spots last year.

Realistically, I can't picture them turning down anyone who applies for that program. To the school/state, guaranteeing that they'll send a physician to a rural area for 4 years is well worth the $17000/year tuition hit they take.

For those of you who had me during the interview tour, any questions or comments? Anything you wanted to know about that we didn't cover? Anything we covered too much? Keeping in mind that the tour locations have to stay pretty much the same, anything we can change that'd be helpful or useful? Let me know, one way or another. Don't be shy. If I sucked miserably, please say so and why so I can fix it. I know there was at least one of you in my group, so I'd better see a post here or PM before the next interview day (Oct. 30), or else.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who had me during the interview tour, any questions or comments? Anything you wanted to know about that we didn't cover? Anything we covered too much? Keeping in mind that the tour locations have to stay pretty much the same, anything we can change that'd be helpful or useful? Let me know, one way or another. Don't be shy. If I sucked miserably, please say so and why so I can fix it. I know there was at least one of you in my group, so I'd better see a post here or PM before the next interview day (Oct. 30), or else.

Tour was okay overall. It seems like we spent forever in the library, which (at least to me) got a little old. And I, like everyone else, was also hoping to see the gross labs, so it was a little disappointing we missed those.

The rest of the tour was pretty cool, and I thought all the med students were especially helpful in answering questions and just letting us know what the first year is really like.

Oh, and I'd probably skip the Ed II elevators in the future.

P.S. I do have a question actually- I've talked to some M1's recently about their experience so far, and they all seemed to be regretting their decision. According to them, they go to class from approximately 9-3, take an hour break to workout/sleep/veg on the coach until resuming studying until they go to bed. I know the first year is tough, but does the typical student really study for 7+ hours a day in addition to attending class (if they attend, that is)? If so, does it get better as you adjust to the curriculum and become a more efficient studier?

I guess what I'm trying to find out is... what was your M1 (and overall) experience, Al? Did you have time for life/a relationship/friends at all, or did you just have to completely do away with everything for 4 years?

Last edited:
It seems like we spent forever in the library, which (at least to me) got a little old. And I, like everyone else, was also hoping to see the gross labs, so it was a little disappointing we missed those.
Those are easily my two biggest complaints about the tour. The library is just not that important. Yeah, there's a good chance that you'll be spending a lot of time there, but it's a library. Describe the sections, and get on with it. The LRC, as I mentioned, is almost totally useless. At least they didn't try to convince you it's a great place to go over the materials that are supposed to be (but aren't) unique to it like the Tank questions and histo slides. Not going to the gross lab is just freaking criminal. It's not like anyone's identity is going to be violated, not that they'd care even if it was (they are dead, after all). It's just a bunch of metal cases, but I guess someone in a power position flips **** over non-students being in there, for whatever reason. Perhaps one of your M1 friends would be willing to take you in.

I did my best to skip those damn elevators, but it's kind of a long way up to anything else. I'll remember that it's worth the hike next time, though. I've never gone to the gross lab first, so I haven't had that issue before. Oops!

I guess what I'm trying to find out is... what was your M1 (and overall) experience, Al? Did you have time for life/a relationship/friends at all, or did you just have to completely do away with everything for 4 years?
If you study for 7+ hours a day in addition to class, you will be way out on the extreme high end of your class in that regard. I'd say I put in around 4 hours per day plus class at the very beginning until I figured out what I needed to be doing. You'll also get marvelously more efficient at studying in a hurry, so your time investment will drop by a ton. By the end of the year, I was skipping class entirely and could get through a lecture fairly thoroughly in 15-20 minutes or so, meaning my daily time investment to keep up was about 2 hours per day at the absolute most. If you know which resources to use ahead of time (and you will), your life will be way easier than most. Second year rolled around, and after the first day of each subject, I literally never went to class unless it was required. I got to the point where I could review entire subjects for a test in 2-3 hours without much problem at all. Keep in mind that I'm a B student and have no desire whatsoever to be at the top of my class. I did the whole "get A's" thing for awhile last year, and the additional time investment necessary for that 10 point jump is nowhere near worth it to me.

The great thing about the first two years is that you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want. One of the many, many reasons anatomy sucks beyond belief is that it interferes with that freedom, but other than that, skipping class (which I highly recommend) gives you plenty of time to enjoy your hobbies, SO, and whatever else you like to do. I went to just about every party my class had the entire year and made a big effort to get out as much as possible, another practice I strongly suggest. Staying human is most certainly possible, but finding a balance can be very difficult, especially at first. That said, you're going to disappear come test time, no matter what you do. That's just kind of how it is. There's too much material to deal with.

Overall, I was pretty neutral or maybe slightly negative towards the first two years. There are lots of good aspects to it and also lots of bad. For instance, I despised anatomy passionately but actually rather enjoyed phys and most of the second year curriculum. On the other hand, there isn't really much time to enjoy anything you find cool. It's a perpetual race to shove info into your brain, so everything just kind of floods in with the neat stuff getting drowned out by the sheer volume of crap you need to know. One of my favorite parts is that upon starting med school, you instantly enter a very selective fraternity and will make some extremely close friends in a hurry. Yeah, you'll get picked on for being a freshman all over again, but when push comes to shove, the older students and physicians will back you until the bitter end.

Relationships...well, they're a struggle. If you're going to be in a long-distance thing, you can basically count on it ending at some point unless the two of you do something dramatic to fix the situation (quit med school, she moves here, etc.). Finding people outside of your class to date can be a real challenge since they're probably the only ones you'll have any sort of meaningful contact with for quite some time. In-class relationships can be tricky since, again, you'll be seeing each other constantly, and any ugly break-ups will suck big-time. As I mentioned, making and keeping friends will be no problem at all, though staying in touch with them may be a bit more of a challenge depending on your and their time constraints. It all sounds very complicated, but once everyone gets settled into the anatomy/phys/histo block, schedules will start to crystallize, and you can reliably make plans with people.

Third year is a whole different animal. That wondrous freedom you got from skipping class during the first two years vanishes and gets replaced with stupidly long work weeks. On the other hand, the studying is minimal, and the only true tests come at the end of each rotation. You're also dealing with patients instead of scouring books for hours on end. It's something I actually enjoy, very much unlike studying my ass off for 2 years. Your free time is largely free, and I've been taking full advantage of that fact. I see my friends several times a week for meals, football, bars, or whatever works. (Hint: If you're in town and want several very in-depth answers to any questions you may have, show up to Buffalo Wild Wings on Tuesday nights around 7 or to the Mexican grocery store on the corner of 65th and University around 1 on Saturdays. We'll be there.) The relative lack of structure and drastic decrease in textual learning combine with the fact that you're actually doing clinical stuff to make this year quite a lot more enjoyable than the first two, despite the relatively poor hours.

So...I think I answered your question. Keep 'em coming if I missed something.

Fantastic reply, thank you! That makes me feel a lot better about this whole med school thing (should I even get in).

I was a little freaked out by the fact that every single M1 I talked to pretty much had no life whatsoever outside of class (and I didn't see any of them as the gunner type), but now I think it's just an adjustment period until they get the hang of the things.

Fantastic reply, thank you! That makes me feel a lot better about this whole med school thing (should I even get in).

I was a little freaked out by the fact that every single M1 I talked to pretty much had no life whatsoever outside of class (and I didn't see any of them as the gunner type), but now I think it's just an adjustment period until they get the hang of the things.
Yeah... it hasn't been great so far, but most days I'm still glad to be here. We keep being told things will get better, so I believe that (or choose to believe that at least, haha), and I keep the long term goal in mind when I wonder why I'm here and have little to no social life. I don't think you can expect to have the same kind of social life you may have had in undergrad by any means starting out(this will vary by major, undergrad college, and how involved you were of course),but you can manage to have friends and still occasionally see people not in med school, even in the first couple months :D.

I second your opinions on the library... we spent forever in there when we toured during the interview, and all over again on family weekend. Although I spend most of my waking non-class hours in that place, other than pointing out where the library was and after hours access, none of that talk was necessary. And beyond reviewing exam results, I don't see a lot of benefit so far from the LRC either.

The hours of study time is going to be different for everyone though... I averaged far more than 4 hours a day in the first course block (not 7 hours every single day, but it is possible it averaged out to that) and I don't think I was even one of most extreme people as far as hours studying went. The course went well enough (although I could have done far less and still gotten the same letter grade apparently), but everyone has their own study methods and they all take different amounts of time. My writing intensive biochem/cell-bio study method was certainly not the most time efficient method... but it worked okay for me.

I'm doing the 10:30 interview tour again, just FYI. Get in touch if you need anything.

I'll be at BWW's tonight, as mentioned above, if you want to talk to a few 3rd years for some good insider info. Send me a PM with your number, and I'll give you the scoop.

Nobody has said anything about going through the hospital, so if you want to do that, I'll need to know pretty soon. Otherwise, I'm just going to extend the offer to the people I talk to.

The milkman, I have got a question. As long as one is able to apply by November 1st, even if there is a problem down the road, as long u are able to send in and get everything done by Nov 14th. Your application would still be considered on time, right? I am a bit worried because I seem to have waited too late. :scared:

If you get everything in before the appropriate deadlines, I don't see why you'd have a problem. That's the beauty of a non-rolling system.

The milkman, I have got a question. As long as one is able to apply by November 1st, even if there is a problem down the road, as long u are able to send in and get everything done by Nov 14th. Your application would still be considered on time, right? I am a bit worried because I seem to have waited too late. :scared:

As milkman said, you'll still be considered on time, but don't forget that Nov. 1st is also the last day for Arkansas residents to call and schedule interviews (according to the website), as well, so don't put that off since there's only one November interview date anyway. Good luck!

Last chance for questions, guys. Just FYI, the UAMS-wide Halloween party is tonight, so some of the less responsible med students might be a bit haggard tomorrow. I apologize in advance for...uh...them.

Good luck to all of you who interviewed today. If you were in my tour, I'd like to hear your feedback, so hit me up. Good, bad, whatever.

I just received some questions via PM, and I thought you all might like to see them and my responses.

PM said:
1. Is the curriculum P/F?
2. Is it a systems-based curriculum for the basic science years?
3. Are there opportunities to serve the Little Rock community, via free clinics and such?
4. For 3rd year, do students rotate at different hospitals (UAMS Med Center, Arkansas Children's Hospital, and the McClellan VA Hospital)?
5. Do you gain early patient contact?
6. What are your general impressions of the school?

1. Nope, it's A/B/C/D/F for the first 3 years, but I don't think you'll find that it's terribly competitive or cutthroat, if that's what you're worried about. The students here are decidedly less insane than those at the several other schools I have experience with.

2. Yes, and it works very well, in my opinion. I wouldn't have it any other way.

3. Tons. In fact, there is a clinic that is almost entirely run by students. There are also bunches of health fairs and all that jazz, if that's what you're into.

4. Yes, you're all over the place. Sometimes you get to choose, sometimes you're just put somewhere, and sometimes you'll be covering multiple hospitals during one rotation. The latter is rare, but it does happen (and gets CRAZY, believe me).

5. Early patient contact is built into the curriculum, yes. You really don't get to do that much, but it's still more than most schools. However, if you want to go take histories or whatever, most of the volunteering opportunities will give you what you're looking for. There are also lots of summer preceptorships that let you get some exposure. I don't really recommend doing those, but whatever floats your boat.

6. It fits me very, very well. I have next to zero interest in research, and while there is certainly plenty of world-class research going on here, particularly in breast cancer, multiple myeloma, and bone stuff, it is most certainly not the focus. They want to make you into a clinician and steer you towards primary care if at all possible. I'm not very interested in being a rural FP doctor, but early in your medical education, that's the kind of stuff you need to be learning: the basics. It's nice to have clinical care be the focus of your education, not the latest paper on some obscure condition. In general, everyone teaching is very interested in making sure you learn as much as possible. It really is a good place to be.

Milkman
My interview is scheduled for January 8, two months away :laugh:.
Any suggestions??

I mean, there isn't a whole lot you can do in the mean time. Try to keep in touch with the admissions office with little questions about random stuff you think of. If you can't come up with anything, just look through this thread for stuff that's already been answered, and fire away. Get your name "out there."

After you interview, you can send them the "OMG, I just loved your school!!!!!" emails/letters and start playing the game a little more. Until then, just keep saying "hey."

Al, are lectures and supplements available online?

And for OOS applicants, is December the month where we hear of interview invites/rejections?

Yep, everything is online: PowerPoints, video lectures, study guides, you name it. Going to class is for the birds.

My OOS invite came during the first week of December, so you'll probably be waiting until around then.

Al, gotta another question. I dont know why I ask; I am not even in yet:laugh:

The combine mph/md degree, do know anyone doing it and how doable is it? I'd like to get my schooling over once and for all. :laugh:

I know absolutely nothing about the combined MD/MPH program. I'm not even sure how long it is or what they require to do for it. Sorry. :(

Al, gotta another question. I dont know why I ask; I am not even in yet:laugh:

The combine mph/md degree, do know anyone doing it and how doable is it? I'd like to get my schooling over once and for all. :laugh:

I know two guys going the MD/Ph.D route. From what I understand, you start out taking the first 2 years of classes with the medical students, then you spend 3-5 years conducting your research. After that you go back and finish up your with your rotations.

It seems like a hassle to me, as one guy I know is just starting his 3rd year rotations and some of the people he started with are well into their residencies. But I guess it's worthwhile if you are really into research.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, there isn't a whole lot you can do in the mean time. Try to keep in touch with the admissions office with little questions about random stuff you think of. If you can't come up with anything, just look through this thread for stuff that's already been answered, and fire away. Get your name "out there."

After you interview, you can send them the "OMG, I just loved your school!!!!!" emails/letters and start playing the game a little more. Until then, just keep saying "hey."

I second this. I sent thank you cards to both my interviewers as well as a thank you letter to the Admissions office for how the interview day was set up, etc. I don't know that it made any difference whatsoever, but at least it made me feel like I was doing something.

I'll be helping with one of the tours this Saturday, so good luck in advance to those of you coming this weekend, and I'll see you then.

I am interviewing on the 20th !! I must admit that I am starting to get a little nervous/apprehensive, but I am also VERY excited ! If you guys have any helpful advice, my ears are open. Looking back, is there anything you wish you had known before going through the interview process ? Thanks in advance !.. I look forward to hopefully meeting you guys on the 20th !

-Ar2

I am interviewing on the 20th !! I must admit that I am starting to get a little nervous/apprehensive, but I am also VERY excited ! If you guys have any helpful advice, my ears are open. Looking back, is there anything you wish you had known before going through the interview process ? Thanks in advance !.. I look forward to hopefully meeting you guys on the 20th !

-Ar2

Just wondering, what have u done so far (preparation) for the interview. I am scheduled for Jan 8th, but I plan on calling today to see if there is an opening for the 20th.

Things I wish I had known/been told before I came here (that you can talk about in the interview):

1. Little Rock isn't exactly the biggest city in the world, but UAMS has a pretty huge patient base. You'll see lots of bread-and-butter stuff, but there's also quite a lot of zebra stuff going on. In other words, you'll get a pretty well-rounded exposure to all sorts of cases.

2. The systems-based curriculum is awesome. It doesn't truly shine until the second year, but it's always nice to have all the redundancy between subjects when you're learning a system.

3. You'll learn anatomy like nobody's business. I hated the class, but I can't deny that I knew my stuff when I got done with it. The anatomy staff as a whole is extremely helpful.

4. The M3 faculty are all about you learning clinical medicine. That's what you get when you go to a state school in a rural state, I suppose, but the vast majority of attendings (and residents) are very patient with students and will help you learn whatever you want to. If you're itching to get involved, the sky is the limit.

5. As you might expect, they love them some rural medicine, so brush up on why you'd like to practice in an underserved community. ;)

6. While it's not all it's cracked up to be, the "early clinical exposure" is actually kind of useful. It's nice to learn the physicals during your first year and to at least sort of have some idea of what's going on before your third year starts. The preceptorship program during 2nd year is largely pointless (6 physicals in a year...?), but it's something you can chat up like crazy.

7. The students are incredible. UAMS does a really good job of picking students who are on the low end of the craziness scale. I slipped through the cracks, but most people are pretty chill. The chances of you finding a lot of classmates (and older students) you'd like to hang with regularly are very high.

8. Everyone here is extremely helpful. I haven't run into anyone who wasn't willing to lend a hand if you needed something. As you guys probably know, Ms. DuPuy is nothing short of phenomenal, and the staff don't lag far behind her. Whether you need administrative assistance, are trying to sew someone up without leaving a nasty scar, or just need to find a building, someone will walk you through it if you just ask.

9. Multiple choice tests are awesome. Doing everything online is awesome. While these things aren't unique to UAMS by any means, it's still nice to note.

Things I wish I had known/been told before I came here (that you can talk about in the interview):

1. Little Rock isn't exactly the biggest city in the world, but UAMS has a pretty huge patient base. You'll see lots of bread-and-butter stuff, but there's also quite a lot of zebra stuff going on. In other words, you'll get a pretty well-rounded exposure to all sorts of cases.

2. The systems-based curriculum is awesome. It doesn't truly shine until the second year, but it's always nice to have all the redundancy between subjects when you're learning a system.

3. You'll learn anatomy like nobody's business. I hated the class, but I can't deny that I knew my stuff when I got done with it. The anatomy staff as a whole is extremely helpful.

4. The M3 faculty are all about you learning clinical medicine. That's what you get when you go to a state school in a rural state, I suppose, but the vast majority of attendings (and residents) are very patient with students and will help you learn whatever you want to. If you're itching to get involved, the sky is the limit.

5. As you might expect, they love them some rural medicine, so brush up on why you'd like to practice in an underserved community. ;)

6. While it's not all it's cracked up to be, the "early clinical exposure" is actually kind of useful. It's nice to learn the physicals during your first year and to at least sort of have some idea of what's going on before your third year starts. The preceptorship program during 2nd year is largely pointless (6 physicals in a year...?), but it's something you can chat up like crazy.

7. The students are incredible. UAMS does a really good job of picking students who are on the low end of the craziness scale. I slipped through the cracks, but most people are pretty chill. The chances of you finding a lot of classmates (and older students) you'd like to hang with regularly are very high.

8. Everyone here is extremely helpful. I haven't run into anyone who wasn't willing to lend a hand if you needed something. As you guys probably know, Ms. DuPuy is nothing short of phenomenal, and the staff don't lag far behind her. Whether you need administrative assistance, are trying to sew someone up without leaving a nasty scar, or just need to find a building, someone will walk you through it if you just ask.

9. Multiple choice tests are awesome. Doing everything online is awesome. While these things aren't unique to UAMS by any means, it's still nice to note.

That was my exact experience on the day I turned in my secondary apps. The lady at the chancellor’s office, after we turned in our Arkansas residency document, walked us all the way to the admissions office. I was blown away; all she had to do was tell us how to get there – southern hospitality to a whole new level. :thumbup:

Al,
"Systems-based curriculum", what do u mean exactly and how does it differ from the others?

"Systems-based" means that instead of learning by subject (all of anatomy at once then all of phys, then histo, etc.), you learn all the subjects for one organ system (cardio, renal, etc.) per test. It's nice because a lot of the topics overlap, and you get the key concepts pounded in from several different approaches. It seems like lots of schools are moving to a similar program these days, so while it isn't terribly unique, it's something the school thinks is pretty awesome.

Yeah, the systems-based (often called "integrated") curriculum was pretty rare when UAMS adopted it but it's becoming much more popular.

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow, (you'll be fine) I'll see one of the groups tomorrow and look forward to meeting some of you.

Yeah, the systems-based (often called "integrated") curriculum was pretty rare when UAMS adopted it but it's becoming much more popular.

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow, (you'll be fine) I'll see one of the groups tomorrow and look forward to meeting some of you.

MJM09

Is there any thing u remember from your UAMS interview; anything that may be of help to me, please?

Rph,
I haven't been on here in a while, but I figured I would chime in to your question about the interviews. The main thing is to relax and be yourself (if your are a laid back outgoing person). I've talked to some of my classmates and when they interviewed at other schools they were grilled. I haven't talked to anyone at UAMS that had that experience. It will start off with small talk, they want to get to know you a little. They will be scribbling notes for everything you say, but don't be distracted by that. After a while they will ask about your motivations, support system, and why you want to be a physician. Be sure to understand the basics of healthcare reform. I didn't feel like they were looking for me to have the answers that would solve the world, but they did want to see that I had an opinion one way or the other.
They don't know your GPA or MCAT scores, and they aren't supposed to ask. Another thing to do is ask questions when it's appropriate. By that I mean don't answer their question with a question. But I did ask my interviewers about their specialties and what opportunities were available to students in those areas. I think most of them enjoy discussing what they do and let's them know you are interested in them too.
Also, make sure you get their names and send them a thank you note when you get home. A family friend of mine knew one of my interviewers and he and his wife told her that they were very pleased to get a note from me. I won't say I got in because of it, but it sure didn't hurt.

Good luck!

RG

Rph,
I haven't been on here in a while, but I figured I would chime in to your question about the interviews. The main thing is to relax and be yourself (if your are a laid back outgoing person). I've talked to some of my classmates and when they interviewed at other schools they were grilled. I haven't talked to anyone at UAMS that had that experience. It will start off with small talk, they want to get to know you a little. They will be scribbling notes for everything you say, but don't be distracted by that. After a while they will ask about your motivations, support system, and why you want to be a physician. Be sure to understand the basics of healthcare reform. I didn't feel like they were looking for me to have the answers that would solve the world, but they did want to see that I had an opinion one way or the other.
They don't know your GPA or MCAT scores, and they aren't supposed to ask. Another thing to do is ask questions when it's appropriate. By that I mean don't answer their question with a question. But I did ask my interviewers about their specialties and what opportunities were available to students in those areas. I think most of them enjoy discussing what they do and let's them know you are interested in them too.
Also, make sure you get their names and send them a thank you note when you get home. A family friend of mine knew one of my interviewers and he and his wife told her that they were very pleased to get a note from me. I won't say I got in because of it, but it sure didn't hurt.

Good luck!

RG

"The main thing is to relax and be yourself (if your are a laid back outgoing person)" So being myself is out the window if I am not laid back and outgoing :laugh:

Thanks man this is really helpful. I am thinking about bringing along a pen a paper, am I allowed to scribble as well? How were u dressed, a suit?

So being myself is out the window if I am not laid back and outgoing
I know you're joking, but yes.

I am thinking about bringing along a pen a paper, am I allowed to scribble as well?
I certainly wouldn't take notes during the interview, but writing stuff down afterward or during the tour would be fine. It'll still be a little weird, though. There's not a whole lot you need to take notes on, anyway.
How were u dressed, a suit?
If you don't care enough to wear a suit (i.e., look as professional as you possibly can), you don't care enough to get the spot/job/whatever.

Anyone know when the first rounds of decisions are coming out?

I know you're joking, but yes.

I certainly wouldn't take notes during the interview, but writing stuff down afterward or during the tour would be fine. It'll still be a little weird, though. There's not a whole lot you need to take notes on, anyway.
If you don't care enough to wear a suit (i.e., look as professional as you possibly can), you don't care enough to get the spot/job/whatever.

No, nothing like that, I was more worried about getting the names and titles of the interviewers; I guess the set up allows for other ways to do that. Thanks again.

MJM09

Is there any thing u remember from your UAMS interview; anything that may be of help to me, please?

It was pretty recent, so I remember most of it, but I'm not sure what to tell you that could help much... but I'll try.

First and foremost- be prepared for a conversation, not a strictly structured Q&A session like most other interviews. You need to be able to talk comfortably about your background, and have a real answer (and if applicable, a short story/explanation) for why you are interested in medicine, and when you became interested in it.

Be prepared to discuss any areas of medicine you think you might be interested in, and your previous medical exposure.

If there is research, community service, student organizations, or anything else that is important to you (regardless of whether it directly connects to medicine or not), be ready to talk about it and feel free to work it into a conversation if you think it applies. I spent a good portion of my interview talking about a student organization I was heavily involved with and what I did with it and my interviewers seemed very interested in it and asked several questions after I brought it up.

The most critical thing to keep in mind throughout the interview is that UAMS interviews its applicants this way for a reason. They have your hard numbers and brief biographic/resume information on paper for the committee to look at later. Nothing an applicant says changes those hard stats as far as the committee is concerned (although it may be an opportunity to explain something concerning if you so desire- just be careful). However, there is a lot that the AMCAS and the secondary applications don't let the committee know about you, and that is what this type of interview is designed to discover. They want to know what kind of person you are, what you're interested in, and why you're here interviewing with them. They want to get to know "you" and will provide information to the committee based off their impressions of you throughout the interview. It's a perfect time to provide them with information that you think is important that you know they don't have from the AMCAS or secondary, as well as to give them some insights into why you want to go into medicine (and attend UAMS, of course).

Try to be calm and relax as much as is possible and you'll be fine. The interviewers can be good advocates for you if they like you. The interview is meant to go "well" and pretty much everyone will leave it feeling good since it's just a nice conversation, not a grilling. That of course doesn't mean that everyone gets in :), just that it should be a positive experience overall. Don't worry about taking notes on anything- just ask one of the people at the registration table to the names of your interviewers before you leave for the day if you want to send them thank you cards (I highly recommend this) and you can write the info down on the materials they'll give you on interview day.

Hope that helps a little, let me know if there's anything else!

astrife- The first decisions will go out in mid December to a very small group of in-state applicants. There will be another small batch of notifications in mid January, and then everyone will hear something back in mid February.

Status
Not open for further replies.