2010-2011 University of Arkansas Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one applying from Out of State heard any news yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Not yet. Their information sheet that came with our secondary application said we should have a decision by the 15th of Dec. I looked at last years thread and it looks like OOS people heard between the 15th-18th.

Any one applying from Out of State heard any news yet?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing...I was also thinking of sending a "I'm still interested letter". Do you think this would be a good idea? Also do you know what the competitive statistics are for getting an interview if OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was wondering the same thing...I was also thinking of sending a "I'm still interested letter". Do you think this would be a good idea? Also do you know what the competitive statistics are for getting an interview if OOS?
I don't see any harm in a "when do you contact OOS students. I really want to go there" letter. Be smooth and professional about it, as usual. As for the OOS stat thing, all I have are interviewee (not matriculant or acceptee) stats from my class which were 3.5/33. Count on the acceptee stats being a bit lower and the matriculants' being lower still.

For the record, if anyone is in a big bind and needs a place to stay, the campus dorms offer one-night rentals for exactly that purpose. I also have a decent amount of room to spare, but that's obviously limited. Let me know if you get hung out to dry, and we'll work something out.

As for the OOS stat thing, all I have are interviewee (not matriculant or acceptee) stats from my class which were 3.5/33. Count on the acceptee stats being a bit lower and the matriculants' being lower still.

Thanks for the info! But doesn't the 33 avg for OOS interviews seem really high compared to other schools (and taking into consideration the school median in MSAR is a 29)? So does that mean they still interview people with lower MCATS...if you say that the acceptee stats are a little lower and matriculant stats being lower...which brings it to the 29?

Thanks!

The OOS stats are always going to be a little higher since they mostly want IS people. The average is also brought down substantially by the congressional district-based acceptance laws which result in some people getting accepted who'd otherwise have no prayer. It's safe to say, though, that they'll interview just about anyone who strikes them as a decent candidate. I know several OOS kids who got in with an MCAT less than 30, so don't despair. If you can sell yourself well, and they think there's a decent chance you'll stay in or around Arkansas, you have a shot.

On another note, props to the interviewee who sent me my first thank-you card as a tour guide. I remember you well, just for the record. Though I unfortunately don't have any say in whether you get in or not, that sort of stuff makes a difference in a community as small as medicine - particularly medicine in Arkansas.

I know most of you have probably seen this already on UAMS's College of Medicine website (which is needlessly difficult to find and navigate... patients get the nice website, it seems :D), but since there seem to be quite a few questions along these lines, here is the profile of the 2010 accepted class (my group) from their guide for applicants:

Average GPA of those accepted: 3.69
Average MCAT of those accepted: 29
Average age of those accepted: 22.5; age range 20-40
74% of Freshmen received their undergraduate degree from Arkansas colleges
48% of those accepted majored in Biology; followed by Chemistry (8%); then Biochemistry (8%)
74% of all acceptances majored in one of the traditional sciences
80% of the applicant pool were first-time applicants
A total of 2097 applicants from 45 states submitted an AMCAS application
Class size for 2010 is 174

In-state and out-of-state applications are both up this year but I don't have exact numbers for you, nor do I know how much they're up.

And I think Milkman mentioned it earlier (if not, I know he mentioned it last year when I applied), but if you guys that have already interviewed can fill out the "interview feedback" here on StudentDoc to help future applicants know what interviewing is like, it's very helpful: http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/school/uams

Oh- and OOSers, if you have any questions about where to (and where not to) stay in L.R., transportation, things to do while here to relax (instead of pacing in your hotel stressing), etc. feel free to ask and I'm sure we'll all be glad to chip in some words of wisdom.

Last edited:
Do you think the admissions office would release the number of in-state applicants that interviewed this year? The in-state applicants last year was 282 and I know UCA had a record of 56 people this year apply to medical school.

Do you think the admissions office would release the number of in-state applicants that interviewed this year? The in-state applicants last year was 282 and I know UCA had a record of 56 people this year apply to medical school.

I doubt they'll say anything until decisions are made, but I'll ask for you.

Per the ever helpful Ms. Dupuy, 324 final in-state applications remain in the pool (the total submitted may have very well been higher if others were withdrawn due to early decisions elsewhere), and all but a couple have interviewed, or made arrangements to interview later.

For OOSers, the number of interview invites to be sent will be determined this Friday, so that might help give you an idea of the timeline.

Really hoping for an interview! Looks like Friday is the day! Good luck to all OOS hopefuls!!

Thanks MJM! Do you have any idea about how many from each district tend to apply? I know 2 and 3 have the most, but I wish they would release more specific details about this.

They aren't providing that information (and they tend to not want to, for obvious reasons) right now, and I can't say that I ever remember them releasing anything more specific than "this district has the most" in the past. They may have, I just never saw it written anywhere.

As far as volume of applications, the volume is typically what you'd expect with a 2>3>1>4 district break-down, with 4 being the smallest by a good margin if what certain faculty have alluded to is correct. However, since they've increased the class size and in turn given themselves some more flexibility about who they accept, the districts don't matter quite as much (as a percentage of the total class anyway) as they used to, and it's helped balance out the "extra" competitive nature of Districts 2 and 3 compared to the others, as I understand it. Still, being in District 4 tends not to hurt anyone's feelings :D.

Honestly though, you really just can't beat your odds as an in-state applicant in Arkansas with a pretty low number of applicants and the crooked (decades old) state legislature rules that basically give you an interview no matter what and then give the districts a set number of guaranteed spots. Add in that it's an allopathic school, ranked in the top 30 in clinical education, and it's a pretty sweet overall deal. I flat out told in-state students they were idiots if they didn't at least apply to UAMS (even if they were from Little Rock originally and desperately looking to get away from home). There's no where else that gives you as much opportunity as they do to get in, and with med school admissions the way it is, you'd have to be crazy or excessively egotistical to turn that chance down.

OOS isn't quite as generous of course, but hey, UAMS takes a pretty holistic approach to admissions and seems to bring in some great students, so it's still a very wise application choice. Good luck to all the OOS applicants, I hope you get an interview invite as an early Christmas present. Let us all know when you find out the news and what pre-interview (or travel) questions you may have.

Members don't see this ad :)
February can't come soon enough!

Last edited:
I don't know about the rankings, but I can tell you that we definitely get a very solid clinical education. My basic duties are frequently far more involved - perhaps you could say "advanced," in some cases - than what many people in the Clinical Rotations forum discuss, and I've done decently above average on both shelf exams with minimal studying. Don't sweat the fact that we're in Arkansas. It's still definitely a strong school with world-class faculty and facilities.

I'm just ready for February to get here so I can't quit worrying. I'm from district 1 and graduated with a 3.8 from UCA but only made a 24 on my MCAT so I realize the odds aren't in my favor. I hope my extra-curricular activities and working in hospital the past year will help enough to get me in or on the wait list.
I know two people in my class (who are not URM's, in case anyone was wondering) who scored slightly worse and still got in from that district. I'm not saying you have a great chance, but hope is certainly alive.

you've gotta hand it to them. UAMS does an amazing job of making this process the most low-stress they can for applicants. Ms. DuPuy has been incredible in answering all my questions/emails (and in a SUPER timely manner too...I emailed once during the weekend and got a very polite and friendly reply just hours later).

Props to them for being so open about the process and thanks to MilkmanAl and MJM for trickling down the info to us...! It seems like some school actually try to make you miserable by withholding information...definitely not the case with UAMS.

Hoping for some OOS love to come my way.

I got an Interview Invite for January 8th as well! :D

I just wanted to thank MilkmanAl and MJM09 for the tons ofinfo they provided about UAMS - I'd be ecstatic if I could get in here :xf:

I got an Interview Invite for January 8th as well! :D

I just wanted to thank MilkmanAl and MJM09 for the tons ofinfo they provided about UAMS - I'd be ecstatic if I could get in here :xf:

For those who got OOS interview invites, what are your stats? I would kill to get invited!

So today was the only day that they sent out OOS invites or will we see more?

Got an invite for Jan 8th as well (OOS) :D
See my MDApps for stats.

For those who got OOS interview invites, what are your stats? I would kill to get invited!
You didn't remember to check that box on the secondary? :D Keep us posted on your status!

To those of you that have heard so far, congratulations on getting an interview invite, and I look forward to meeting some of you in January.

Good luck everyone! First round of acceptance letters go out this week!!!

getting nervous. OOS and no word yet. Are these trickling out...or are they out and they're waiting to see who will decline so they can invite more?

anyone know?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm OOS and I really want to interview here. I know they interview over 100 OOS, so I suspect it would have been difficult send out all 100 invites after just one day.

Well, if you're referring to IS declining, they only offer 10-20 slots in this first round(second round is mid-Jan, then mass is mid-Feb). I'm guessing the majority of those won't respond with an accept or decline for some time.

If you're referring to OS declining interviews, I have no idea. Someone else may have more information about that.

Well looks like I got rejected without interview. OOS with strong ties (parents live in Arkansas). Guess my stats just didn't cut it. 3.7sGPA, 29 MCAT. Oh wells..:(

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you just get an email?

Well looks like I got rejected without interview. OOS with strong ties (parents live in Arkansas). Guess my stats just didn't cut it. 3.7sGPA, 29 MCAT. Oh wells..:(

Yeah I am in the same position. I guess its more about high MCAT and GPA rather than strong ties....oh well!

Did you get an email? I don't have any ties, but I haven't heard a word yet.

getting nervous. OOS and no word yet. Are these trickling out...or are they out and they're waiting to see who will decline so they can invite more?

anyone know?
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm OOS and I really want to interview here. I know they interview over 100 OOS, so I suspect it would have been difficult send out all 100 invites after just one day.
Guys, don't be afraid to call and check-in with the Admissions office and see if they can give you any updates. I know it's really stressful to call when you're afraid of them telling you bad news, but sometimes that is better than being stuck in purgatory.

Yeah I am in the same position. I guess its more about high MCAT and GPA rather than strong ties....oh well!

:( Sorry to hear that Salad and Cali, I know how disappointing it can be for your strong ties app to get turned down without an interview. If you don't attend elsewhere this year and you want to reapply to UAMS, make sure you call and talk to them about your application soon. The Admissions staff is normally very willing to talk to you about reasons your application may not have been considered for an interview (or for others- reasons why they interviewed you but you weren't accepted) and provide suggestions for ways to improve your application for next year. I've had friends get turned down that got some very good, very personalized, advice from the Admissions office about their application.

Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear back, congrats to those of you that got invited, and sympathies to those of you that didn't. Keep us posted on your status and of course, let me or the others know if you have questions about anything we might be able to answer.

Sorry to those of you who didn't get in this year. Like MJM said, definitely get in touch with the admissions office if you plan on reapplying (here or to med school in general). Here's hoping the rest of the cycle goes fine for you and that you'll be on your way to doctordom next fall.

For those of you who got the interview, congrats! I'll be seeing you in a few weeks. If you have any questions, fire away.

Early acceptance!!!

Interviewed: Early Oct
Stats-3.91 BCPM, 33R MCAT

Al/MJM 09: do you guys have any suggestions as how to best prepare for the interview? I've been browsing through the interview feedback section; is there anything else I can do to prepare, like reading a book on medical ethics or healthcare reform?

As far as I'm aware, not too many people get ethics questions. It does happen, but as long as you're sort of up on current events and can sort of exlain your position on them, you're fine. Go browse a few news sites if you aren't/can't. Know how you'd answer "Tell me about yourself," "Why medicine?" and "Why Arkansas?" If you have done research, you should obviously be able to describe that in detail. Other than that, it's pretty much carte blanche. I guess you could do a few mock interviews if you're not a good interviewer, but that's not going to teach you how to talk to people.

Here's a PM I got and my response. I'm pretty sure it has been answered in this thread in one way or another, but more info never hurt anyone.
I got an interview invite to UAMS recently and I was wondering if you could clarify the curriculum and grading system (ie are the tests in blocks or is there a cumulative one at the end of every x weeks, and is grading on a letter scale or high pass,etc ? Also, what percentage of your classmates would you say do research? I tried using the search function and combing through the school site but it was all so confusing. I have to reply to the office about the interview tomorrow and having this info would really help.

The curriculum is systems-based throughout the first 2 years, with the excpetion of the first 8 weeks which are biochem and cell bio. After that inital block, you'll learn everything for cardio, for example, all at once. Tests come every 2-3 weeks, are multiple choice, and test all subjects you're doing at once. However, you get grades for each course, not one giant grade for each exam. (e.g., if you missed 5 of 5 anatomy questions but missed 0 of 5 histo, you'd have a 0 in anatomy and a 100 in histo, not a 50 overall, if that makes sense.) There is usually only one test per organ system. Grading is A/B/C/D/F with maybe 1/4 the class getting A's the first 2 years.

As for research, I'd say between 1/3 and 1/2 of students do it in one fashion or another. Not very many are dedicated to it, but you can certainly be an intense researcher here if you want to.

As far as I'm aware, not too many people get ethics questions. It does happen, but as long as you're sort of up on current events and can sort of exlain your position on them, you're fine. Go browse a few news sites if you aren't/can't. Know how you'd answer "Tell me about yourself," "Why medicine?" and "Why Arkansas?" If you have done research, you should obviously be able to describe that in detail. Other than that, it's pretty much carte blanche. I guess you could do a few mock interviews if you're not a good interviewer, but that's not going to teach you how to talk to people.

I've interviewed twice (this year and two years ago). This year's interview was pretty tough, consisted of almost entirely ethics based questions. I'm pretty sure that's a rarity though considering that all of the other applicants I talked to thought their interviews were pretty chill.

Nonetheless, my interviewers must've thought that I'd done fairly well considering I just received an acceptance letter.

Nonetheless, my interviewers must've thought that I'd done fairly well considering I just received an acceptance letter.
:eek::soexcited::highfive: I missed you on interview day, but I see you got by just fine without my mojo. Congrats! I'll be seeing you in ICM1 next year. You'll be doing the sexual history. :smuggrin:

:eek::soexcited::highfive: I missed you on interview day, but I see you got by just fine without my mojo. Congrats! I'll be seeing you in ICM1 next year. You'll be doing the sexual history. :smuggrin:

:laugh: But yeah man I kept my eye out for you but didn't see you. I didn't go on the tour though so I guess I wouldn't have had a very good chance of running into you anyway.

Getting that early acceptance felt pretty damn good, it'll definitely make for a much easier Christmas break. I've been really satisfied with how the process went this year and also thankful that things turned out the way they did 2 years ago. Getting this master's was the absolute best decision I've ever made academically.

:laugh: But yeah man I kept my eye out for you but didn't see you. I didn't go on the tour though so I guess I wouldn't have had a very good chance of running into you anyway.

Getting that early acceptance felt pretty damn good, it'll definitely make for a much easier Christmas break. I've been really satisfied with how the process went this year and also thankful that things turned out the way they did 2 years ago. Getting this master's was the absolute best decision I've ever made academically.

What was your masters in? I have a friend thinking about doing the same.

What was your masters in? I have a friend thinking about doing the same.

Physiology and Biophysics; it's roughly 95% physiology and 5% biophysics though.

I've heard that the admissions committee looks VERY favorably on students with a master's from UAMS. This is in reference to a masters in the basic sciences, I'm not sure how they look at applicants with a master's in public health or something like that.

Also accepted! I go to school OOS so I guess my letter took an extra day to arrive.

The acceptance form we're supposed to return isn't binding or anything, right? I assume it isn't, but there are all these other forms to fill out for white coats and stuff...

Nope, it's not binding. It's saying we accept the act of the offer, and we have until May 15,2011 to inform them of our decision. From what I guess, it's just freeing up slots as early as possible (since a lot of us with early acceptance have already received additional options). Think you'll go here or take one of your others (stellar app!)?

And I'm still laughing about the White Coat order form.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.