2010-2011 University of California - Irvine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused about the confidentiality form. I signed one with the head of the committee at my school already and she was the one who uploaded the letter. Do I have to send in another one?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have enough slots in the prerequisite sections to fulfill the requirements. I attended a school on the quarter system and therefore I need 6 slots to list an entire year long course with accompanying lab classes (3 lectures, 3 labs), and the application doesn't provide enough room.

Any tips? I sent an email to admissions about this. Looks like I may have to tack on a "with lab" addendum to the lecture classes and combine the units together to make everything fit.

I didn't even put lab. I'm assuming that they know we will fill the prereqs if we get in. Maybe add a " + lab" to the end of the name...

Anyways, just asking if anyone has their letter of recommendation status page updated to complete or something.

I didn't even put lab. I'm assuming that they know we will fill the prereqs if we get in. Maybe add a " + lab" to the end of the name...

Anyways, just asking if anyone has their letter of recommendation status page updated to complete or something.

I wrote down the course "name" and added the words "w/separate lab (course title, X sem hrs)" and left the semester hours on the side the same...for the course without lab.

Ironically, UCI SOM should know most of its students are ffrom UCs, with quarter systems. They just made our lives that much harder.

I wrote down the course "name" and added the words "w/separate lab (course title, X sem hrs)" and left the semester hours on the side the same...for the course without lab.

Ironically, UCI SOM should know most of its students are ffrom UCs, with quarter systems. They just made our lives that much harder.

Haha unless you're from Cal..I guess they just wanted to make it easier on us ;)

Received this back from admissions regarding lack of space in prerequisites:

"The secondary application prerequisite sections serves as a snapshot of the courses completed. We will always refer back to the primary application for a complete list of courses. Just fill in as much as you can."

Thanks a lot for that information, Pathologik!

I just tried to pay for the app..but I got some error. :( Need to try back in 30 mins

Would you include paid employment (not research) for any of the activities sections? I was thinking no, but was wondering if anyone was putting it under school activities perhaps.

This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

So if we just graduated, June 2010, do we still write **** here?

This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

if you just graduated, do you have your degree yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Technically no, I'm going to recieve it on july 30 or something.

I don't think the schools mean it literally. Try telling an adcom who is trying to decide your fate at his school "technically....".

I say tis better to err on the side of caution and write something. At least it shows you're wiling to put in time and effort. Ex: i'm graduating in December 2010, and I wrote down something for any school that asked to explain what I will be doing if I'm not a full time student for 2010-2011 academic year...

I don't think the schools mean it literally. Try telling an adcom who is trying to decide your fate at his school "technically....".

I say tis better to err on the side of caution and write something. At least it shows you're wiling to put in time and effort. Ex: i'm graduating in December 2010, and I wrote down something for any school that asked to explain what I will be doing if I'm not a full time student for 2010-2011 academic year...
Thanks, I was just slightly confused because the other schools that ask this same question word it differently, usually along the lines of "If you're going to have a gap year, what will you do?"

I wasnt sure if UCI was asking the same question, and I didn't want to write a bunch of stuff that i was "going" to do when the adcoms arent interested. But yeah you make a good point on the literally part.

anyone's letter of recommendation status say "complete"? Just wondering if they haven't gotten to that or if there's an actual problem with mine.

Mine haven't been "received" by UCI yet, then again..I only submitted a few hours ago.

Edit: Today, 28 Jul, as of 3PM, I'm "pending review" under interview status.

Last edited:
Think I can put nonclinical work activities under the 'Community Activities' section, or is that just for volunteer work?

Think I can put nonclinical work activities under the 'Community Activities' section, or is that just for volunteer work?

I had that conundrum...wtih respect to my employment (retail leadership)..so I didn't list it at all. They have a primary app to refer to. Clearly, UCI wants to focus on clinical, research, and community activities only...(at least that's what I think those categories were)

On the prerequisite grid, are we supposed to have the appropriate courses line up with the appropriate subjects on the left?

For example, I have a lot of Chemistry courses, which go down into Physics section, so my Physics courses don't start until where "Mathematics" is listed. Do you think they will care that my list doesn't evenly line up with the subjects on the left, or are the subjects listed on the left just sort of a general guide?

Does anyone else's status for a Secondary Application say 'Pending Review'? =/ I got the email regarding AMCAS application receipt, but that was all so far...
3.9 GPA, 29 MCAT, CA res., and I am taking the MCAT again in late August. I'm not sure if retaking the test would be a reason to delay a secondary invitation?

Does anyone else's status for a Secondary Application say 'Pending Review'? =/ I got the email regarding AMCAS application receipt, but that was all so far...
3.9 GPA, 29 MCAT, CA res., and I am taking the MCAT again in late August. I'm not sure if retaking the test would be a reason to delay a secondary invitation?

At an institution that screens applications, they will likely want to see another MCAT score since you are indicating you have another one on the way, before they send you an invitation to fill out a secondary. Just to make sure though, your Secondary Application Awarded status says "pending review" right...?

Bottom line is, no one is going to really look at any part of your application until they have all scores, paperwork, etc. on file...From an adcom's standpoint, what good is it to look at an application when another score is still pending?

Good luck on your MCAT in late August, and good luck witih the rest of the process! It'll be a bit tough since your application will be "verified"/"complete" at the end of September...

On the prerequisite grid, are we supposed to have the appropriate courses line up with the appropriate subjects on the left?

For example, I have a lot of Chemistry courses, which go down into Physics section, so my Physics courses don't start until where "Mathematics" is listed. Do you think they will care that my list doesn't evenly line up with the subjects on the left, or are the subjects listed on the left just sort of a general guide?

I'd like to know the answer to this question too.

Also, for the "Research Activities," can we list publications? Or are they just literally asking for activities only? Should I include jobs (non medical) in the "School Activities" list?

The instructions for this application are so vague!!

I'd like to know the answer to this question too.

Also, for the "Research Activities," can we list publications? Or are they just literally asking for activities only? Should I include jobs (non medical) in the "School Activities" list?

The instructions for this application are so vague!!

I would list only what can fit into the grids under the specified categories. In an earlier post in tihs thread, the poster said the admin office said to just put what you can, because they do have AMCAS to look at.

Also, I'd list whatever you feel you can list...but non-medical jobs probably don't have a space on that list--it's not research, community, or clinical. Leave it off..because again, they have AMCAS to look at.

For those that submitted, what is your status on the status page? I was complete as of yesterday with "pending review" listed under "interview status"..and now my "application complete" field is now blank...

Did I just get "rejected"? haha.

For those that submitted, what is your status on the status page? I was complete as of yesterday with "pending review" listed under "interview status"..and now my "application complete" field is now blank...

Did I just get "rejected"? haha.

Hope not and I doubt it. Same thing for me. It should at least still say completed even if we were rejected I would think ;).

Hope not and I doubt it. Same thing for me. It should at least still say completed even if we were rejected I would think ;).

Oh, do you mean you had a "status reversal" as well? If so, that puts me at ease haha.

Oh, do you mean you had a "status reversal" as well? If so, that puts me at ease haha.

Yup. I was complete as of 7/28 and pending review on interview status as of 7/28 and then I checked because of your post and it's gone. I wouldn't worry.

Yup. I was complete as of 7/28 and pending review on interview status as of 7/28 and then I checked because of your post and it's gone. I wouldn't worry.

thank goodness! lets hope for the best!

Mine's already back to complete and pending review, so if you check your's I'd hope it's the same.

Aww, you're so thoughtful!..it's back to the same. Sorry for the temporary scare everyone! haha.

I am having trouble writing about the first prompt where it asks about how each applicant has a variety of background and interests and how each person can contribute to the class. What has everyone been writing?

I am having trouble writing about the first prompt where it asks about how each applicant has a variety of background and interests and how each person can contribute to the class. What has everyone been writing?

I approached it as the ye olde diversity essay if that helps any.

was the font for the personal comments section really small for you guys?

was the font for the personal comments section really small for you guys?

It's another part of the screening process--do you have the necessary visual acuity to properly edit your essays?!

did anyone feel that you could kind of use a combination of davis and la's answers to answer UCI prompts like i did?

did anyone feel that you could kind of use a combination of davis and la's answers to answer UCI prompts like i did?

I would say so...especially the "how would you contribute to the diversity of UCD community"

As a side note, did anyone have a "Student ID" listed on their application checklist (below AMCAS ID) prior to today? I want to make sure I have some sort of bare minimum of observation skills because I don't remember seeing that before...haha

I would say so...especially the "how would you contribute to the diversity of UCD community"

As a side note, did anyone have a "Student ID" listed on their application checklist (below AMCAS ID) prior to today? I want to make sure I have some sort of bare minimum of observation skills because I don't remember seeing that before...haha

I'm pretty sure they just got updated with the student id. They give you one even if you don't get accepted/interview.

Are anyone's LORs missing? I submitted them through AMCAs over a month ago. Figured they would have gotten to UCI by now...

Are anyone's LORs missing? I submitted them through AMCAs over a month ago. Figured they would have gotten to UCI by now...
Mine showed up the day after I submitted it. Maybe send them an email/call? Did you already do the secondary?

When do invites start going out? Top choice for me!

Last year they started around 8/11 I think.

Yes, they're asking about the gap year.

They will wait until after the white coat for the incoming first years - too much going on for the admissions office until then. Its this Sunday I believe.

You guys have so much going for you coming in next year- they've changed the curriculum so much complete with podcasts, ipads and ultrasound education throughout all 4 years. Us old med students are feeling very left out compared to the incoming students.

Is anyone marked complete yet?

i checked my status, and for the secondary, it just says "DENIED" not "PENDING REVIEW"

does that mean i am out for good at UCI? it was my first choice, im bummed out now

i checked my status, and for the secondary, it just says "DENIED" not "PENDING REVIEW"

does that mean i am out for good at UCI? it was my first choice, im bummed out now

That likely means you were "denied" a secondary...I'm really sorry to say, but my guess would be that it means you were denied a secondary and are no longer eligible for consideration at UC Irvine! :(

That likely means you were "denied" a secondary...I'm really sorry to say, but my guess would be that it means you were denied a secondary and are no longer eligible for consideration at UC Irvine! :(

I thought they had to send you the email to complete the secondary for you to be able to see that status page?

I thought they had to send you the email to complete the secondary for you to be able to see that status page?

You're initially sent an email where you can see your status. You can then track your status using that page until you're given a secondary or denied one...

Status
Not open for further replies.