2010-2011 University of California - Irvine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the support. Having to go through this dreadful application process twice, you deserved the interview. Hope you nail it and receive an immediate acceptance.

Best of luck, keep your MDapp profile updated :)

THANKS! I really appreciate the positive vibes. An early acceptance would take soooooo much stress off me. I'm sure pretty much every reapplicant knows what I mean.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still waiting for my Amcas Application to be verified :(..but while waiting can someone help me out by telling me UCI process? will UCI only send out secondary after my AMCAS application is verified? and is there as website where I can check my status? Thank you! :oops:

p.s- This is my first time applying so I'm a bit confused with everything :confused:

I'm still waiting for my Amcas Application to be verified :(..but while waiting can someone help me out by telling me UCI process? will UCI only send out secondary after my AMCAS application is verified? and is there as website where I can check my status? Thank you! :oops:

p.s- This is my first time applying so I'm a bit confused with everything :confused:

After your AMCAS primary is verified, UCI will begin to screen your application and send you an initial email. They will review it and then if they select you, they will send you a second email with a link to the secondary. You will be able to check your status once you get the first email.

Members don't see this ad :)
After your AMCAS primary is verified, UCI will begin to screen your application and send you an initial email. They will review it and then if they select you, they will send you a second email with a link to the secondary. You will be able to check your status once you get the first email.

Thank you so much! :)

Apparently most of the secondary invites have been automatic. The manual invites should be coming out soon.

I doubt mine was an automatic secondary invite especially with my MCAT score of 29 and 7 in verbal

A full 2 weeks have passed since I got the "we acknowledge your AMCAS, we're thinking about you now" email, and still no secondary. Weird, since I got "auto-screened-in" for UCD and UCSD, and got UCLA's secondary like 2 days after the first email. I pre-wrote my essays for UCI, now I'm just (very impatiently) waiting.

Congrats to those who are getting interviews though! :luck:

Got the "thinking about you" email today, and the secondary about 2 seconds later. I was verified last week.

Interview invite today. IS Complete 7/30. Good luck all. Oh yeah invite came in email.

Interview invite today. IS Complete 7/30. Good luck all. Oh yeah invite came in email.

Congratulations! What are your stats, if you don't mind sharing? Also, is your interview date in October still, or has it reached November?

34+ balanced mcat 3.7 gpa re-app, no interview last year. There were two available dates 1 in sep and one in October but
neither work so I need to reschedule. Oh and the email came at 6 pm sharp. Maybe they send with an auto site update at the end of the work day?

34+ balanced mcat 3.7 gpa re-app, no interview last year. There were two available dates 1 in sep and one in October but
neither work so I need to reschedule. Oh and the email came at 6 pm sharp. Maybe they send with an auto site update at the end of the work day?

Ya, there's a glitch with my records, but I'm still "pending review" according to the office...we'll see what happens.

Congrats though, those are good stats! :)

Hey guys, for rec letters how did you enter Letter Packets? Did you follow their guideline by writing Packet from Name of Your School instead of writing the person who takes care of packets?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, for rec letters how did you enter Letter Packets? Did you follow their guideline by writing Packet from Name of Your School instead of writing the person who takes care of packets?

I wrote, "Letter Packet (John Smith)" just to be sure (John Smith would be the person who takes care of the packets). And wrote my university's name under "Affiliation." They successfully received my letters so it worked out. I really hate that I did a letter packet since it complicates everything. Most schools don't give you instructions as to how to enter a letter packet :mad:

Last edited:
On the contrary, I entered each writer from my packet .. and that was also successfully received

A full 2 weeks have passed since I got the "we acknowledge your AMCAS, we're thinking about you now" email, and still no secondary. Weird, since I got "auto-screened-in" for UCD and UCSD, and got UCLA's secondary like 2 days after the first email. I pre-wrote my essays for UCI, now I'm just (very impatiently) waiting.

Congrats to those who are getting interviews though! :luck:

haha, no school is gauranteed, but i hope you get the seconday eventually :luck:

I'll be around most of the app cycle this year (Im an MS2), as I was last year, answering questions and what not. Its still really early so you are all are probably all very excited and anxiously checking emails 24/7, haha. Its a long year, so just relaxx and have fun! UCI is an awesome school, if anybody has any specific quesitons you can ask on the forum or PM me anytime.

Good luck to everyone!!

p.s. you guys know the incoming first years all got new ipads right? Crazzyyy. We are all very jealous.

hey guys I'm filling out the secondary for UCI, those of you who have verified AP credit on your amcas transcript, do you have anything filled out for Sem hours aka semester hours? I need to enter my AP units/sem hours on my secondary, but my Sem hours are not filled. the OT hours for my AP credit are filled. AMCAS also verified it, they just never placed anything in for Sem hours.

Should I convert those OT hours to sem hours myself? Thanks.

Woo! Interview invite just now (late sunday?). instate 3.98/39R

my interview status went from "pending review" to blank. anyone else with the same problem?

my interview status went from "pending review" to blank. anyone else with the same problem?

Glad I'm not the only one. I've been complete since the end of July and mine went blank about 2-3 weeks ago. I called the office and they said that I'm still pending review....maybe you could call the office to double check, just to make sure?

Hi everyone,

I live in Santa Ana and work as a lab tech at UCI. I just wanted to let those of you who have interviews know that you are welcome to stay at my place, which is a 10 min drive from the UCI campus. I have a comfortable futon you can sleep on and drive to UCI every day for work so can give you a ride.

The only thing I will ask in return is that you pay it forward (and give me a place to stay if I come to your town for an interview)

Feel free to PM me!

all the best!

Hey Barcoderider, where did you find those secondary figures?

UC Davis: ~40% of applicants receive secondaries
UCSF: 25% receive secondaries
UCLA: 50%
UCI: ?
UCSD: 30%

I don't know what the screening process is. I would personally retake a 29. Unless you're taking practice tests before the real thing and scoring lower than 30 every time, in which case you might want to leave it as is. If it's a really unbalanced 29, I definitely would retake it.

Most of the school websites list how many secondaries they send out, so I compared that to the #of applications received according to the MSAR. I think UCLA is closer to 40% actually. Those are just rough estimates.

Irvine says on their website that they send out 1700, and the MSAR says they get 4500 applicants, so ~37% get secondaries.

so I know that a lot of people had a problem with sections of the status page going blank randomly ... I received a fee waiver and now that section is blank. Has anybody else had this happen to them? Should I call and ask or wait it out?

so I know that a lot of people had a problem with sections of the status page going blank randomly ... I received a fee waiver and now that section is blank. Has anybody else had this happen to them? Should I call and ask or wait it out?

You can call them, but I think it's just being weird for a moment. They're pretty friendly, so call them if you can..wouldn't hurt.

my Payment Received date is also blank now.

I was verified on August 11th. Got the "no longer thinking bout you" email from Davis ~ 15th. I got a secondary from UCSD on the 19th.

But absolutely NOTHING so far from the rest of the UCs, including Irvine.

My stats:
31O (8/12/11 = PS/BS/VR) in April 2010 and
29Q (12/11/6 = PS/BS/VR) in September 2009

--> notice the seesaw effect in my section scores ..ugh I hate the MCAT

3.5 sci/3.6 cum at UCSD

Good extracurriculars.

What do you guys think is going on?

I was verified on August 11th. Got the "no longer thinking bout you" email from Davis ~ 15th. I got a secondary from UCSD on the 19th.

But absolutely NOTHING so far from the rest of the UCs, including Irvine.

My stats:
31O (8/12/11 = PS/BS/VR) in April 2010 and
29Q (12/11/6 = PS/BS/VR) in September 2009

--> notice the seesaw effect in my section scores ..ugh I hate the MCAT

3.5 sci/3.6 cum at UCSD

Good extracurriculars.

What do you guys think is going on?

I called a few days ago because I also am missing a secondary from UCI. The lady said that due to the way some undergrad schools do the prereq classes or how they look on the AMCAS transcript, the automated system can't figure out if you meet the requirements for a secondary. So our applications will have to be reviewed by hand, which can take awhile. So it's just more of the waiting game until we hear something.

hey sdners,

I hadn't heard anything from UCI via e-mail since I submitted the secondary on August 2nd... I checked the status site today and saw "Interview Awarded" so just beware that UCI doesn't always send e-mails (or at least timely e-mails) and check the site when you have time!

good luck!

It seems like UCI is the only school asking for a Statement of Confidetiality Form to go along with each letter of rec. My school uses Interfolio and it says that each letter is confidential already. Do I still need to submit these forms?

hey sdners,

I hadn't heard anything from UCI via e-mail since I submitted the secondary on August 2nd... I checked the status site today and saw "Interview Awarded" so just beware that UCI doesn't always send e-mails (or at least timely e-mails) and check the site when you have time!

good luck!

hey, same thing happened to me and got me spooked on checking application statuses from schools haha. i submitted my secondary like 8/5 and got an invite 8/11 without any notification.

I submitted my secondary back on Aug 1st and am still pending review... anyone else on the same boat? I retook my MCAT on Aug 13th for which I am waiting on my scores.. do you guys know if UCI puts application on hold for new MCAT?? Thanks.

Hi guys,

I got an email way back when from UCI (07/27) that they'd received my primary and were considering the whole secondary thing. I have since heard nothing back, and am just wondering if, at this point, I should not expect one? I'm 32/3.6cGPA/3.3sGPA (though strong upward trend) and got secondaries from SD, LA and Davis. Anyone in a similar boat? Or have any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Hi guys,

I got an email way back when from UCI (07/27) that they'd received my primary and were considering the whole secondary thing. I have since heard nothing back, and am just wondering if, at this point, I should not expect one? I'm 32/3.6cGPA/3.3sGPA (though strong upward trend) and got secondaries from SD, LA and Davis. Anyone in a similar boat? Or have any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

It means that you're in the pool of applicants that have to be manually screened, but don't worry because a bunch of us are. I called last week, they said we just have to wait until we hear something because the automatic screening system couldn't come up to a conclusion on our files.

It means that you're in the pool of applicants that have to be manually screened, but don't worry because a bunch of us are. I called last week, they said we just have to wait until we hear something because the automatic screening system couldn't come up to a conclusion on our files.

Awesome, thanks! Good to know there are others in the same boat :)

Do you have a higher chance of acceptance if you have a very early interview?

has there been any recent invites? i'm checking the site 3 times a day :scared:

I'm filling out my secondary application right now, and I just realized that UC Irvine requires one semester of statistics. I studied biomedical engineering as an undergraduate, and did technically take a statistics course. However, the course is listed as an engineering course on my transcript, not as a math course, and AMCAS verified it as an engineering course.

Do you think it would be a good idea for me to simply list the engineering class under "math"? The title of the class, after all, is "Statistical Methods in Biomedical Engineering".

I'm filling out my secondary application right now, and I just realized that UC Irvine requires one semester of statistics. I studied biomedical engineering as an undergraduate, and did technically take a statistics course. However, the course is listed as an engineering course on my transcript, not as a math course, and AMCAS verified it as an engineering course.

Do you think it would be a good idea for me to simply list the engineering class under "math"? The title of the class, after all, is "Statistical Methods in Biomedical Engineering".

What is the title of the course? Does it at least say something along the lines of "statistics?" But I would definitely call/email the school to double-check.

Do you have a higher chance of acceptance if you have a very early interview?

I would assume so, considering medical schools do rolling admissions.

Thanks, bpost137. The name of the class does say "statistical methods", but I will definitely contact the office to make sure.

The secondary instructions mention that there is a one month deadline to submit. Unfortunately, i have passed this deadline, but I can still fill in answers on the online form. Anyone know how strict the one month deadline is? I'm really disappointed in myself for getting to this secondary so late. Thanks

The secondary instructions mention that there is a one month deadline to submit. Unfortunately, i have passed this deadline, but I can still fill in answers on the online form. Anyone know how strict the one month deadline is? I'm really disappointed in myself for getting to this secondary so late. Thanks

I believe you can Shjuna. Are you quite passed the deadline? They let you still submit even after the deadline but I believe it can't be far past the deadline. Give them a call in the morning Shjuna.

got the " I got your Amcas application" email...
but no secondary email :(
But I know my stats are not good enough for UCs , but thought I try anyway!
:xf::D

Anyone else interviewing get the 9/20 dinner invite and planning on going?

Anyone else interviewing get the 9/20 dinner invite and planning on going?

I'm thinking about going, my deal is that I have to be at ucla for the activities fair for my student org that same day in the afternoon. It depends if i can make it home.

Status
Not open for further replies.