2010-2011 University of California - Irvine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're initially sent an email where you can see your status. You can then track your status using that page until you're given a secondary or denied one...

Oh :(. Then I would agree that you are unfortunately reading it correctly...but it's not the only school out there!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I emailed admissions and asked them what they want for references. I did not get an answer so I thought I would as here. Did everyone just put work/volunteer contacts, or freinds as well? Ive seen applications where either ones are requested, so I want to make sure. Thanks.

One more question. For the confidentiality forms...If you sent a letter packet, can you just send them one form, and put "Letter packet", or do you have to send info from all authors. I read the instructions, and they say to send in this form, even if they have been provided to AMCAS. But on the actual form, it says to send it if you have not signed one with your school advisor. Anyone know whats up? Thanks again!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I emailed admissions and asked them what they want for references. I did not get an answer so I thought I would as here. Did everyone just put work/volunteer contacts, or freinds as well? Ive seen applications where either ones are requested, so I want to make sure. Thanks.

Admissions office is swamped this week - the new MS1s just started - so I'm sure they will get back to you sometime next week.

UCI asks for references? I don't recall that. What is the context? The secondary flat out asks for "references" or is it part of the LORs. I remember listing out who my letters of recommendation were from, is that what they are asking you for?

In the contact information section, it asks for alternate contact info and their relationship etc.. Im assuming its supposed to be used as a reference? Or is it an emergency contact type of thing? Just wanted to know what kind of people everyone listed.

In the contact information section, it asks for alternate contact info and their relationship etc.. Im assuming its supposed to be used as a reference? Or is it an emergency contact type of thing? Just wanted to know what kind of people everyone listed.

oh that - no thats not a reference. Thats exactly what it says "Alternate Contact" to get a hold of YOU.

They call for acceptances but you only have like a week to take it in the last couple of months of cycle (April-August). I presume they use the alternate contact if they are not getting ahold of you at your primary contact and will soon have to pass you up if they don't get in contact with you.

I think I put my parents because I figured if I went on a random trip or were hospitalized or somethign they would know where I was and would be able to either: get a hold of me or answer on my behalf.

Ya thats what I was trying to figure out. I will probably put my parents down as well. Thanks a lot for the help!

I have still not received a secondary. Anyone else?

my friend and I (both in-state) received an interview invite today! :)

I have submitted on 8/1 still havent been marked complete, anyone else on the same boat?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have submitted on 8/1 still havent been marked complete, anyone else on the same boat?

The new class started this week, the admissions office has probably done very little on the applications this week - they have other things they needed to do.

In fact, I sort of have a hard time believing any interview invites went out today considering they did the White Coat Ceremony today but maybe.

Just relax, I'm sure they will catch up on all the emails and completed applications and secondary offers next week.

both my friend and I are kind of neurotic so we submitted primaries 6/1. interview dates open so far are 9/21 and 10/4.

Last edited:
both my friend and I are kind of narcotic so we submitted primaries 6/1. interview dates open so far are 9/21 and 10/4.

Same here but no news. When was your app marked complete and what are both your stats like?

both my friend and I are kind of narcotic so we submitted primaries 6/1. interview dates open so far are 9/21 and 10/4.

It doesn't matter when you submitted your PRIMARY..a lot of us want to know when your SECONDARY applications were submitted and marked received by UCI SOM as shown on your applicant status webpage. It'd be nice to know when your LORs were received, if possible.

Also, so are you guys morphine or heroin? :p (in reference to being NARCOTIC instead of neurotic. hehe)

Last edited:
WOW, I am SUPER embarrassed by that hahaha. supp completed 7/27 and app completed 1-2 days after.

SO EXCITED, first interview invite!

Just went to casually check my status and saw it said "awarded"!! Scheduled for September.

my status page says interview awarded too :laugh:
but the "schedule your interview" link isn't working. i'm hella scared, what if its a mistake??

my status page says interview awarded too :laugh:
but the "schedule your interview" link isn't working. i'm hella scared, what if its a mistake??

Congratulations guys!!

*sob sob* no love for asyouwereatrio..haha..

Guess I have to wait who knows how long to find out when I'm no longer "pending review" and some decision has been made.

Congratulations guys!!

*sob sob* no love for asyouwereatrio..haha..

Guess I have to wait who knows how long to find out when I'm no longer "pending review" and some decision has been made.

Did you also submit July 27?

does anyone mind posting the secondary prompts?

does anyone mind posting the secondary prompts?

.In evaluating applicants with a variety of backgrounds and strengths the Admissions Committee assesses each applicant as to what they can contribute to their class. Please describe to the Admissions Committee what you have to offer in this regard. (1,800 characters, with spaces)..

Is the main one. I already submitted so I can't access the other portions. There may have been a part for non-trad's and/or discrepancies in academic record.

Good luck!

.In evaluating applicants with a variety of backgrounds and strengths the Admissions Committee assesses each applicant as to what they can contribute to their class. Please describe to the Admissions Committee what you have to offer in this regard. (1,800 characters, with spaces)..

Is the main one. I already submitted so I can't access the other portions. There may have been a part for non-trad's and/or discrepancies in academic record.

Good luck!

Here's the other brutal PROMPT:

Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

Verified 7/21, Submitted secondary 8/6, Secondary completed (LORS received) 8/12, Status: "Pending Review"

I'm keep my fingers crossed :xf:... UCI is definitely one of my top choices!!! (I went to undergrad here and now I work in a UCI lab full-time :love:)

Sooo nervous!! :scared:

my interview status used to be pending now its blank :( anyone else get the same thing?

my interview status used to be pending now its blank :( anyone else get the same thing?

It did it to me and another person a few days after we submitted. It went back to pending shortly thereafter. So, I wouldn't be too concerned until something shows there.

Anyone know when the first dates are for interviews? When I scheduled they had 9/21 and 10/5 (I think), but I wanted to get a frame of reference.

Anyone know when the first dates are for interviews? When I scheduled they had 9/21 and 10/5 (I think), but I wanted to get a frame of reference.

Second years always do student interviews and they don't even start until after Labor Day. So that means 9/7 is the absolute earliest date the admissions office could start. They usually do 2 per month so I'm guessing 9/21 is either the first or second interview date.

Just realized I made a really dumb typo on one the essays... and I already submitted it... :smack: d'oh!! :(

Second years always do student interviews and they don't even start until after Labor Day. So that means 9/7 is the absolute earliest date the admissions office could start. They usually do 2 per month so I'm guessing 9/21 is either the first or second interview date.

Awesome, thanks for the info (You're always a great help when I ask questions). When does that adcom start making decisions on interviews? I remember when I interviewed last year in november I got it back with 3-4 weeks.

Awesome, thanks for the info (You're always a great help when I ask questions). When does that adcom start making decisions on interviews? I remember when I interviewed last year in november I got it back with 3-4 weeks.

They are pretty consistent. Usually they have the interview and meet to discuss applications about 1 week later and notify applicants about 2 weeks later (even if its just "waitlisted" status on the website).

How long have you guys noticed it took to finish the review before getting a secondary? I've been "review pending" since I was verified, meanwhile I'm getting secondaries from every other screening school.

How long have you guys noticed it took to finish the review before getting a secondary? I've been "review pending" since I was verified, meanwhile I'm getting secondaries from every other screening school.

Me too. I got screened in by UCLA like 2 days after the "we acknowledge your presence" email, but Irvine's taking over a week. It's bumming me out.

IF you're referring to the UC's, they're all different. Some people get screened into UCSF, LA, SD and then rejected from UCI pre-secondary. I'd expect to hear back within a few weeks tops though.

Me too. I got screened in by UCLA like 2 days after the "we acknowledge your presence" email, but Irvine's taking over a week. It's bumming me out.

I have the opposite problem. I got the UCI secondary at the same as the initial email. But I received the initial email from UCLA 7/27 and still haven't heard back. The UCs are all over the place:

UC Davis: Initial 7/22, Invite 7/22
UCSF: Initial 7/22, Invite 7/22
UCI: Initial 7/26, Invite 7/26
UCLA: Initial 7/27, Have not heard from since
UCSD: Initial 8/1, Have not heard from since

PS: I'm an IS applicant and went to UCI for undergrad, don't know if that matters.

Denied by UCI for an interview,

I guess I am not good enough for my instate school. Good luck to the rest of you.

Denied by UCI for an interview,

I guess I am not good enough for my instate school. Good luck to the rest of you.

If it gives you any encouragement, I was rejected post-interview from Davis and then invited to uci two days later. Best luck to you

If it gives you any encouragement, I was rejected post-interview from Davis and then invited to uci two days later. Best luck to you

Thanks for the support. Having to go through this dreadful application process twice, you deserved the interview. Hope you nail it and receive an immediate acceptance.

Best of luck, keep your MDapp profile updated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.