2010-2011 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if we didn't really face any significant disadvantages/obstacles?

Do they really expect most people to write something about this in their autobiographical statement?

Members don't see this ad.

i was wondering the same thing. i submitted over a week ago, and my status hasnt changed/i havent been marked complete. sent the payment in 7/16, havent heard a peep from them.

I just hope our payments don't get lost in the mail! That'd really suck, if our checks were the only missing thing and we just didn't know about it.

Did you guys attach anything to yoru checks?I just sent my check in an envelope without anything more than my name, amcas id, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the autobio, we shouldn't talk about college or anything after college, correct? It looks like the previous year's prompt wanted information about college as well as future career goals. Looks like the changed (and shortened) the prompt?

I just hope our payments don't get lost in the mail! That'd really suck, if our checks were the only missing thing and we just didn't know about it.

Did you guys attach anything to yoru checks?I just sent my check in an envelope without anything more than my name, amcas id, etc.

wow. I need to call them. I was pretty delirious (I ended up with the flu) the day I sent the check so I all I did was send a check. haha im such an idiot

i turned in my check in person on the 19th and submitted on the 17th and i'm still not complete, so i wouldn't worry about the check being the problem

wow. I need to call them. I was pretty delirious (I ended up with the flu) the day I sent the check so I all I did was send a check. haha im such an idiot

Do you mean you only sent in a BLANK check? because I only sent in a "check"...

I just sent a check but I also put my AMCAS ID# and name on it. Did you forget to include that info?

no like I sent in a check with the amount written in, but I never included my AMCAS ID or anything. The only way they could know its from me is that my name and my parents' names appear on the top left corner. I called them to ask if they got it and they said they did just this morning so its all good!

Only just got the confirmation a few hours ago... took a few weeks after AMCAS verfication on 7/6! But it still won't let me log on to the status website. Oh well.

when it says to explain the factors that influenced your decision for a career in medicine, can that be influenced by college? or do they still want that to be part of high school....i don't know how much of that decision was made before college, and even if that's what i wanted, i wasn't sure until i had done volunteering and shadowing etc..

thoughts?

when it says to explain the factors that influenced your decision for a career in medicine, can that be influenced by college? or do they still want that to be part of high school....i don't know how much of that decision was made before college, and even if that's what i wanted, i wasn't sure until i had done volunteering and shadowing etc..

thoughts?

i think they're talking about pre-college only. at least, thats what the prompt said when i did my secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any information on the Masters in Bioengineering dual degree program?

Just seems odd that they throw it in at the end of the secondary and don't want any explanation. And there is no information on their website...Is it a new program?

Ya, on my check I wrote my AMCAS ID in the memo section..so hopefully it arrived...it'd be funny if it went missing in the mail lol.

Good luck to everyone here! I wonder why they couldn't have some kind of online payment system..makes life so much easier, especially since we send our app in electronically.

What if we didn't really face any significant disadvantages/obstacles?

Do they really expect most people to write something about this in their autobiographical statement?

I realized that I actually did have one significant obstacle, but it wasn't anything that necessarily "puts my accomplishments into context." That is to say, it wasn't anything really attractive to adcoms like "My parents got laid off so I had to work full time during school, and so my grades dropped a little bit."

Rather, It was a difficult non-academic obstacle I had to overcome, but I strongly believe I grew from it and that it will help me be a better doctor, and I can explain that it writing. Do you think I should write about that?

Any comments appreciated!

lol OOS just got secondary invite today! I was verified like 3 weeks ago though. App Received 7/26, Approved 7/29.

LA and SD down. SF please give me that secondary!!

lol OOS just got secondary invite today! I was verified like 3 weeks ago though. App Received 7/26, Approved 7/29.

LA and SD down. SF please give me that secondary!!

Ditto! Except I'm IS. And also still waiting on UCSF.

Does UCSD not accept the fee waiver through AMCAS?

"Also, we do honor request for fee waivers. You must provide us with a copy of the AMCAS Fee Assistance Program (FAP) approval (this can be sent by email attachment)."

This was from the email from Sofia Rendon that said you received a secondary. I assume you send it to her?

Interesting enough I never received an email I was approved for a secondary. I just logged on and it said I was approved on the website. This has happened to me for UCSD and UCLA, really odd. Anyways, may you please post a copy of the email and her email address. Thank you

Interesting enough I never received an email I was approved for a secondary. I just logged on and it said I was approved on the website. This has happened to me for UCSD and UCLA, really odd. Anyways, may you please post a copy of the email and her email address. Thank you

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there is some kind of instruction on the payment section of the UCSd secondary...

I couldn't find it. And I have submitted my application so I cannot view it.

it is so annoying that i cant view my application after its been submitted. I wanted to use some of the stuff into another secondary :/

there's no way to see/print it, right?

4800 characters is so small, I wish it was 10 000!

For the 5 most important activities, what if we discuss one of them in detail in our autiobiography... should we still list it here??

For the 5 most important activities, what if we discuss one of them in detail in our autiobiography... should we still list it here??

I would say yes, but I'm also assuming it was an activity prior to high school? Remember that the autobio only goes UP THROUGH the end of high school.

I also don't know why it would hurt to list it, no harm in talking about something formative....as long as it's not a direct repeat (word for word) of AMCAS or anything else.

I would say yes, but I'm also assuming it was an activity prior to high school? Remember that the autobio only goes UP THROUGH the end of high school.

I also don't know why it would hurt to list it, no harm in talking about something formative....as long as it's not a direct repeat (word for word) of AMCAS or anything else.

Thanks for your help. :) It actually was pre-high school and post-uni! It's a really important activity for me. I think it makes more sense to list it too (and discuss it in the autobio).

Nothing I"ve submitted has repeated AMCAS... it's all from different perspectives, so I think it should be fine. I'm just worried if they think it's redundant!

Thanks for your help. :) It actually was pre-high school and post-uni! It's a really important activity for me. I think it makes more sense to list it too (and discuss it in the autobio).

Nothing I"ve submitted has repeated AMCAS... it's all from different perspectives, so I think it should be fine. I'm just worried if they think it's redundant!

Even though they don't want "a repeat of your AMCAS statement", I doubt it's a big deal, and they probably expect to see some of it. It's inevitable if something formative occured during your pre-university years and it was ALREADY in your AMCAS statement haha.

anybody even come close to using up all 4800?

I was just under; something like 4790. It's your whole life--how could you not have a lot to say?

I was just under; something like 4790. It's your whole life--how could you not have a lot to say?

It's your whole life before college, no? Boring suburbs = less than 4800 characters.

Hi all!

I am an incoming MS1 at UCSD. I do not have too much personal experience with the school or the curriculum quite yet, but I can tell you that I LOVE living in San Diego! The administration is also amazingly supportive! The classmates I have met are incredible people, and I cannot wait for school to start! I moved here in May to do research...great research culture as well. If you have any questions that I might be able to answer about filling out the secondary (long autobiography, but worth your time- they really do read it all!), interviewing here, living in SD, housing, getting into a lab, etc., feel free to ask :)

Good luck guys! Maybe I will host you when you come to interview in a few months! :luck:

Last edited:
Just got approved for a secondary. I had the initial email and AMCAS received 7/6 so this may be the start of review for those of us without crazy good numbers (Yes, I'm jealous of all you 3.99/42T's out there)

Just got approved for a secondary. I had the initial email and AMCAS received 7/6 so this may be the start of review for those of us without crazy good numbers (Yes, I'm jealous of all you 3.99/42T's out there)

That's weird that you had that happen to you so late.

With my 3.8/32, my AMCAS was received on the 15th and I received the invitation to do a secondary a few hours afterwards.

That's weird that you had that happen to you so late.

With my 3.8/32, my AMCAS was received on the 15th and I received the invitation to do a secondary a few hours afterwards.

They like you more than me.

They like you more than me.

Hmm, I mean no offence by it...it's just odd that would happen to you. It makes me, along with others I'm sure, wonder how the system really works with this supposed "screening" of applications.

Hmm, I mean no offence by it...it's just odd that would happen to you. It makes me, along with others I'm sure, wonder how the system really works with this supposed "screening" of applications.

Maybe there's the "auto-secondary" screen, and though we have similar stats, I am a re-applicant so I go into a separate pile? who knows. Last year, everyone talked about how a very small percentage of secondaries are given to stellar applicants before november, and then the masses get them in a second wave after november. I don't know if this was ever verified though.

Same with me... Just got 2ndary after receipt of 7/6.

I'm a reapp, still on WL for UCSD for 2010 (for a month more anyway).. UCSD is still my top choice! :)

I just got my secondary today, with a 3.8/32. I got the initial email about a week ago, verified 7/14. Still waiting on UCLA though, I haven't heard from them in nearly two weeks since I received the initial email...getting worried.

Just so you guys know, the UC schools tend to do things later in the application cycle from my experience. I got my invite to interview for UCSD in December (I think...been a while), but my actual interview was in March! I had a similar experience with UCLA...good things come to those who wait ;)

...I am still rooting for you DeadByDawn!! (and runningdiva...did she get in to ucsd or is she reapplying too?) Anyway, I hope to see you guys around campus very soon- stay positive! :xf:

For the "significant activities" section, should we talk about an actual activity or an important experience we had? like family, personal, friend, etc. thnx!

Does anyone have an idea when interview invitations start to go out for UCSD?

Does anyone know, if you are not rural or inner city... what should you indicate as where you live? Should you write something like "suburban community" or something like that...??

Status
Not open for further replies.