2010-2011 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know, if you are not rural or inner city... what should you indicate as where you live? Should you write something like "suburban community" or something like that...??

I just wrote suburban

Members don't see this ad.

I would say yes, but I'm also assuming it was an activity prior to high school? Remember that the autobio only goes UP THROUGH the end of high school.

I also don't know why it would hurt to list it, no harm in talking about something formative....as long as it's not a direct repeat (word for word) of AMCAS or anything else.

Wait...just to clarify, I was planning on using essentially the same description for my 5 activities on the secondary as I did for the 15 activities on the AMCAS, just cutting it down from 1350 to 1200 characters. So you think this is a bad idea? It seems kinda silly to rewrite it.

For the "predominant language" used in your household, what if there were two?

I grew up in a house where English and Spanish were basically used interchangeably. Do you think I can put "English, Spanish" even though they're clearly asking for predominant language (singular)?

I mean maybe on average I spoke a bit more English, but I don't want to just write "English" and nothing else, because then it completely leaves out a huge part of my upbringing.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the "predominant language" used in your household, what if there were two?

I grew up in a house where English and Spanish were basically used interchangeably. Do you think I can put "English, Spanish" even though they're clearly asking for predominant language (singular)?

I mean maybe on average I spoke a bit more English, but I don't want to just write "English" and nothing else, because then it completely leaves out a huge part of my upbringing.

Just put Spanish and you can discuss it at the interview. I'm in the same situation, I just listed the non-English language.

Last year, everyone talked about how a very small percentage of secondaries are given to stellar applicants before november, and then the masses get them in a second wave after november. I don't know if this was ever verified though.

Any body else know if there is some truth to this? I am OOS and got screened in after only a couple of days so obviously I am looking for any reason to read way more into this than I should :)

Just so you guys know, the UC schools tend to do things later in the application cycle from my experience. I got my invite to interview for UCSD in December (I think...been a while), but my actual interview was in March! I had a similar experience with UCLA...good things come to those who wait ;)

...I am still rooting for you DeadByDawn!! (and runningdiva...did she get in to ucsd or is she reapplying too?) Anyway, I hope to see you guys around campus very soon- stay positive! :xf:

Thank you violincuty! I'm definitely keeping positive... but not holding my breathe for an acceptance (kinda hard to cause I need to finish these apps! haha)

But then again, I heard from my student interviewer that the last person accepted last year got accepted the same day as orientation... that'd be tough to manage, but I'll take what I can get ;)

I was so impressed by UCSD.. everyone was super-friendly.. I'm sure you're loving it there!

Any body else know if there is some truth to this? I am OOS and got screened in after only a couple of days so obviously I am looking for any reason to read way more into this than I should :)

I wouldn't read too much into this.. although it can be tough to resist overanalyzing when its such an amazing school :laugh: Just write your secondary, submit and kickback.

If you get an interview they like you and you are in great shape.

Is the only way to pay for this by cheque or money order? No way to do it via credit card?

For those who get accepted to the 2011 incoming class:

You will be the first class to spend both of your classroom years in the new Telemedicine Building!!

I'm kind of jealous...

Check it out guys

I spent so much time on this application. I would kill to get into UCSD, but I know it's a huge uphill battle as an OOS. Just submitted today, fingers crossed!

How long is everyone's essays? 4800 characters is really long and mine is only 2700. It sums up all I have to say but seems a little short given the space

Is it even worth sending my AMCAS to UCSD with an MCAT score of 28? I was looking at the MSAR and it said UCSD did not accept anyone with a score lower than like a 30 or something. I am just wondering if this is correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it even worth sending my AMCAS to UCSD with an MCAT score of 28? I was looking at the MSAR and it said UCSD did not accept anyone with a score lower than like a 30 or something. I am just wondering if this is correct?
The good news is that you're only wasting $32 bucks to find out since their pre-secondary screen is so tough. If you are truly interested in the school, why not. Unlike a lot of other schools who will take your secondary money and run, at least you will know before that point!!

I spent so much time on this application. I would kill to get into UCSD, but I know it's a huge uphill battle as an OOS. Just submitted today, fingers crossed!

I was an OOS applicant with very average numbers....it's not impossible. Good luck!!! :xf:

you never know....

UC ADCOMS do spend more time on every applicant's application than you might suspect. Just remember that numbers ARE NOT everything!

You might be surprised by how much success you have especially if the rest of your app is great.

Don't rule yourself out before the party has even started! Pay the cover charge and enjoy the scene. You might just get pulled up on stage to perform. (lol...at that analogy)

Best of luck!!!!

Everyone, just wanting to make sure... did you guys send the cheque to UC-regents or something like that? I found the payable to name kinda weird lol, but just wanted to make sure that's correct so everything is for sure in on time!!

I was an OOS applicant with very average numbers....it's not impossible. Good luck!!! :xf:

Thanks for the encouraging words! I gave it my best, so all I can do is hope... wait... and see!

Everyone, just wanting to make sure... did you guys send the cheque to UC-regents or something like that? I found the payable to name kinda weird lol, but just wanted to make sure that's correct so everything is for sure in on time!!

Thanks for the encouraging words! I gave it my best, so all I can do is hope... wait... and see!

I sent in my check to UC Regents....as UC student, it's not weird...just means the money is going straight to the "administrative" arm of the University of California...

I sent in my check to UC Regents....as UC student, it's not weird...just means the money is going straight to the "administrative" arm of the University of California...

Haha, okay! Thanks. :)

This is from UCSD's page on the admissions process:

"Possible Outcomes after the Admissions Committee reviews your AMCAS application
  1. Invited to submit a "secondary application" (proceed to Step 3).
  2. Placed "on hold" until late November. In late November, the admissions committee will re-evaluate all applications in our applicant pool and may invite many of the applicants that were "on hold" to submit a secondary application. Applicants not invited to submit a secondary application at this time will be notified by mail that they are no longer under consideration."
So it looks like a good thing for people who already have the secondary. Sure glad I got it :thumbup:

3.97 gpa is not very average....haha!

No...but a 28 MCAT is. Also, I come from a state school that is not well known in the sciences. I can't tell you how many times I heard that on interviews: "Your GPA is high, but your MCAT score doesn't back it up. We can't assess the quality of your education with those numbers..." That being said, I had some amazing interviews as well- every school evaluates students differently. I was extremely fortunate in that UCSD looked at my application as a whole. Sure, a higher MCAT would have made things much easier, but I did get into one of my dream schools with the application I had...so I don't think it's healthy for people to obsess over that part of your application. I personally think it is better to be confident in what you're presenting the school with and to focus on what made you the applicant that you are. But....that's just a little tidbit of advice from my personal experience; I acknowledge that it will be a different experience for everyone :luck:

I would leave it out if I were you. They already get the point from your PS, and it's not very constructive to squeeze in a repeat of the information in your autobiography when they're explicitly looking for something different from your PS, but that's just my opinion.

:luck: with the app!

so nothing happened during my primary, secondary, or high school years. i had a very boring/standard upbringing. what the heck am i supposed to talk about?

Would it be wise to talk about my struggle with my sexuality? Or is this too risky? I assumed CA would be liberal enough to do this...

Would it be wise to talk about my struggle with my sexuality? Or is this too risky? I assumed CA would be liberal enough to do this...

I am not sure about UCSD. After all, La Jolla is conservative compared to the rest of California, since it is the home of mostly affluent, retired professionals. However, one of my friends mentioned his homosexuality in his overcoming-challenge essay for UCLA last cycle, and was admitted during the first round of acceptances.

Hope it helps, best of luck

It's something I've given consideration to in the course of writing my essays, especially ones where it is mentioned "talk about diversity such as _____".

I would say no, only because you don't know who may end up reading your application. If you're unlucky, the ONE person on the AdCom that doesn't like homosexuals may end up reading your app and be like "blargh, no way! bull****! he/she can change...darn Judge Walker!" It's hard to know in whose hands your application may end up, so it's best to stay "neutral" and not give them a reason to "dislike you".

Also, another piece of advice would be...."has this struggle" been a HUGE impact on your decision to be a medical professional/ability to care of patients..

I would look up what UCSD has/offers in terms of LGBT Doctors. I remember that NYU had something on theirs about the encouragement of LGBT doctors and stuff, so I would recommend doing some browsing about that and see what they say about its diversity and need in medicine.

on a side note, i remember a couple months back that my dad (a californian pediatrician) attended a conference where they wanted more primary care doctors to be comfortable addressing sexuality within the first few minutes of seeing a patient and how assumptions or failing to recognize the subject is a cause of poor decisions/diagnosis. I would say that if you could bring up how it ties to societal perceptions/cultural respect of all people in medicine without going too political, it might make you stand out in a good way

When they say that "The deadline for submitting secondary application materials is one month from the date of your e-mail invitation." do they just mean the online secondary? Or does that include payment? Mine is due on Sunday (8/15) and I just submitted the online portion, but I am worried because my payment won't get there by Sunday... :(

Last edited:
When they say that "The deadline for submitting secondary application materials is one month from the date of your e-mail invitation." do they just mean the online secondary? Or does that include payment? Mine is due on Sunday (8/15) and I just submitted the online portion, but I am worried because my payment won't get there by Sunday... :(

I would assume it means "everything"--as in secondary application and cheque, because those are the materials that need to be submitted as part of your secondary applications. However, I think you'll be "okay" if the check comes on Monday or whatever--call them to make sure, since the mail at UCSD will go through a central sorting facility before it arrives at the office..so you'll have to add a few days to that.

Anyone have any idea when San Diego is going to start emailing interview invites?? I keep obsessively checking my status multiple times a day to see if anything changes... (I know I'm not the only one doing this! ;)) UCSD is one of my top hopes for sure!

I swear, this application season has turned me into a neurotic mess! :shifty:

Invite!!! Just now!

Complete 8/1 in state

Top choice school, so happy

This lack of an interview invite has me "down"... since I was complete before you guys. *sigh*

haha oh well..chin up. It's the first day of invitations lol.

OMG! UCSD Invite today! I'm blown away, its one of my top choices. People with low stats, keep your heads up! They send it by email, by the way!

Am I the only one here still waiting to hear if I am even invited for a secondary? :(

when were you all marked complete? I am still not complete : / I submitted 7/24

That's strange. I submitted August 6 and was complete on August 10. You probably want to call them and see what's going on...

Am I the only one here still waiting to hear if I am even invited for a secondary? :(

bpost I haven't received one either. I have a 29, 8 in VR. You have a 28 I believe? UCSD likes higher end students I believe.

From what I read, UCSD "holds for interviews" til November or something, then reevaluates all applicants.Therefore, I think "no news is good news", but "no news" isn't really great but it's not the "end of the world" (rejection).....either llol.

*sigh*

Dont think I ever got a complete email but I got an interview. Was complete on 7/29. And my interview is in September, so I don't think what you're saying about Nov. is correct...

bpost I haven't received one either. I have a 29, 8 in VR. You have a 28 I believe? UCSD likes higher end students I believe.

Yeah, I have a 28 (9-9-10). But I was hoping all my research experience (TONS of hours, a few pubs) and high GPA (3.99cGPA/4.0sGPA) would count for something :(. I know UCSD is still a longshot obviously, just wondering when I'll know if I'm even invited for a secondary or not.

Has anyone received a pre-secondary rejection notification? Or does UCSD just never respond after the initial email?

Dont think I ever got a complete email but I got an interview. Was complete on 7/29. And my interview is in September, so I don't think what you're saying about Nov. is correct...

Sorry I wasn't clear..I meant for students that are not selected for interview right away--when they "reevaluate", i'm not sure, but last year's thread I think people said it was in November.

OMG! UCSD Invite today! I'm blown away, its one of my top choices. People with low stats, keep your heads up! They send it by email, by the way!

Wow, congratulations!! Man I wish I was in your shoes! Mind sharing your stats?

Geez, I posted that "does anyone know when they start inviting" question not expecting that the very next day people would start getting them...

I'm still holding out for mine! Its coming, I can feel it! :xf: Lol

It took them approximately 10 days to mark me complete during mid July. I wouldn't sweat it just yet--check processing, application verification, it all takes time.

Wow, congratulations!! Man I wish I was in your shoes! Mind sharing your stats?

Geez, I posted that "does anyone know when they start inviting" question not expecting that the very next day people would start getting them...

I'm still holding out for mine! Its coming, I can feel it! :xf: Lol

Well, I did pretty well on the MCAT (36O) but my overall gpa is a 3.33. I'm a post-bacc, and from what I hear UCSD tends to like those. My science GPA was a 3.88.

Status
Not open for further replies.