2010-2011 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...oos. 3.4 gpa. 3.2 science. no medical research. submitted last tuesday, secondary on wednesday. stay strong longshots :D

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys! just got my secondary last thursday. I was amcas verified earlier this month (beginning of August). Really surprised, because I also got rejected from UC Davis at the primary stage :(

3.6 cGPA (3.5 science), 31O MCAT, went to UCSD for undergrad

For the autobio essay, do they want kind of like a creative narrative type writing like the personal statement or do they prefer a straight forward response like: this is how my life was like -- these are some of the biggest influences -- and how they helped me

hey guys! just got my secondary last thursday. I was amcas verified earlier this month (beginning of August). Really surprised, because I also got rejected from UC Davis at the primary stage :(

3.6 cGPA (3.5 science), 31O MCAT, went to UCSD for undergrad

For the autobio essay, do they want kind of like a creative narrative type writing like the personal statement or do they prefer a straight forward response like: this is how my life was like -- these are some of the biggest influences -- and how they helped me
I'm not sure, but I wrote mine pretty straight and you and I have very similar stats. Good luck!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
how come for most schools there is a prompt link where you can see the prompt before you receive your secondaries but for the UCs there isnt?
can anyone tell me the prompts for UCSD?
also which ones are mandatory and which ones are optional?
I sent my transcripts Aug 6, but they have not received it. I need to start my secondaries.

how come for most schools there is a prompt link where you can see the prompt before you receive your secondaries but for the UCs there isnt?
can anyone tell me the prompts for UCSD?
also which ones are mandatory and which ones are optional?
I sent my transcripts Aug 6, but they have not received it. I need to start my secondaries.

"

.AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH.

.This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years. You should focus on major life experiences and influences up to your entry into college. We will ask about major experiences in your undergraduate years and beyond in subsequent sections. Please note: if you are applying to the MD/PhD program, please include why you are seeking the MD/PhD training at UCSD..

.You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable..

.Note that the autobiographical sketch is limited to 4800 characters. .Type your essay below:..

"

Good luck!

Does anyone know how long it takes for your status to go to Secondary Complete. It says my secondary was submitted on 8/13 but hasn't been updated to complete yet.

Does anyone know how long it takes for your status to go to Secondary Complete. It says my secondary was submitted on 8/13 but hasn't been updated to complete yet.

i submitted 8/15, havent updated either

good to know, I was starting to get worried that my check got lost in the mail or something.

Hi, for those of you that have received interview invites or have been accepted to UCSD med school in the past, can I have a look at your autobio? (PM me please)

I just want to get formatting ideas. Mine is a bunch of fragments right now.

I'm not sure if I should have like a "common thread" type thing running through the entire piece, or if I should just be straightforward and talk about different aspects of my life in each paragraph (right now: birthplace, family, religion, schooling, interest in medicine)

-Any suggestions are also welcome.
-If you are willing to read my autobio and give me personal feedback, that would be amazing!!! (PM me please)

Do they send out a "We have your AMCAS application" email after you submit your primary to them? I know the other UCs do that.

My app was verified early last week.

Do they send out a "We have your AMCAS application" email after you submit your primary to them? I know the other UCs do that.

My app was verified early last week.

Yeah they do. You should get it sometime soon.

So does anyone know if I can post mark my check before it's due? Or am I paying $20 for an overnight. Sigh.

So does anyone know if I can post mark my check before it's due? Or am I paying $20 for an overnight. Sigh.
I sent my check in the day I got the secondary and it got there way before I submitted. You can send it anytime. Just make sure you put your AMCAS ID on it

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent my check in the day I got the secondary and it got there way before I submitted. You can send it anytime. Just make sure you put your AMCAS ID on it
Well, app is due on the 29th. I just submitted the secondary online, but my check won't be there until Monday. Am I boned? I'll call em to make sure.

Well, app is due on the 29th. I just submitted the secondary online, but my check won't be there until Monday. Am I boned? I'll call em to make sure.
Called them. They said it was OK to submit check late. They only want the secondary in on time.

They just changed their "allow 5 days for processing" to "allow 10 days for processing"

: [

Has anyone submitted the secondary after the month deadline? I didn't read that part til today, and I'm at 6 weeks already ... are my chances shot? I plan on calling them tomorrow to explain that I was traveling abroad with spotty internet/computer usage, but has anyone succeeded in getting an extension before?

Interview invite! OOS

Application Received: 7/31
Approved for Secondary Application: 8/03
Online Secondary Application submitted: 8/04
Secondary Application Complete: 8/10
Interview Invite: 8/30

Still no secondary... or any communication since the initial email.. :(

Sorry to ask again: Has anyone received a pre-secondary rejection notification? Or does UCSD just never respond after the initial email?

Interview invite! OOS

congrats!

stats?

Submitted 8/8
Interview Invite 8/30

Good luck everyone!

Still no secondary... or any communication since the initial email.. :(

Sorry to ask again: Has anyone received a pre-secondary rejection notification? Or does UCSD just never respond after the initial email?

I haven't received a secondary. Just the notice that they have my app, check the status website for a secondary. They may give us a secondary later other than that I wouldn't count on getting one.

Interview invite! OOS

Congrats on the invite!! Can I ask you when you were verified? I was verified last week and haven't received the acknowledgement email...

"

.AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH.

.This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years. You should focus on major life experiences and influences up to your entry into college. We will ask about major experiences in your undergraduate years and beyond in subsequent sections. Please note: if you are applying to the MD/PhD program, please include why you are seeking the MD/PhD training at UCSD..

.You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable..

.Note that the autobiographical sketch is limited to 4800 characters. .Type your essay below:..

"

Good luck!

Wow, is that really the only prompt? That seems so much less invasive than many other schools...

How about the MD/PhD prompts--can someone please post those, too? Thanks!

Wow, is that really the only prompt? That seems so much less invasive than many other schools...

How about the MD/PhD prompts--can someone please post those, too? Thanks!

Im pretty sure that is the only prompt, even for MD/PhD.

Application Received: 7/29
Approved for Secondary Application: 7/30
Interview Invite: 8/30!!!!!:love:

Hi guys,

In older threads, I saw that the previous years' applicants were limited to 5 letters of rec, but I don't see any upper limit this time around for us...Is that right, or am I just missing it somewhere on our current application?

ETA: Never mind, found the answer. :)

Last edited:
I was told that I am now on hold for an interview when I called them this morning :( Any idea what the chances of me getting an interview is?

I was told that I am now on hold for an interview when I called them this morning :( Any idea what the chances of me getting an interview is?

You called them? How long had you been complete?

I am also super neurotic and want further clarification...Sorry that you were put on hold though

is it updated online too?

I called them because it took forever for the site to be updated. I was completed 7/23 and it seemed like they're giving out interviews to people completed in august already. the site site isn't update yet, but the lady said she'll send me an e-mail in a week that i got put on hold. i have a 34 mcat, 3.7 gpa.

Guys, is anyone else having trouble logging onto the secondary application site? I keep getting a page load error. I have everything ready to go but only a day to submit so I am kind of freaking out.

Thanks

Guys, is anyone else having trouble logging onto the secondary application site? I keep getting a page load error. I have everything ready to go but only a day to submit so I am kind of freaking out.

Thanks

yes. it's down right now. aggravating.

Probably massive holds are gonna be posted for the rest of us, looking forward to it!!!

what's a hold? sounds bad

i have yet to turn in my app too and its due tomorrow. was meaning to turn it in a couple hours ago.

Friend of mine just received an interview here

^ You know when he was complete?

^ You know when he was complete?

No, sorry. I'll ask next time I see him though. Seems like not too many people have heard back yet.

interview invite today!!! :love::love:
i was complete ~8/11

:luck: good luck everyone!

Hey, got the secondary this last wed! Kinda shocked. I go to a really good oos school so maybe that made me interesting? I was amcas verified 2 weeks ago. Don't lose hope for the sec if you have less than a 3.5! Still waiting on LA, Irvine and SF though......

Last edited:
Really struggling with this autobiography. How interesting do we have to make it. What if you didn't know you wanted to be a doctor until college. Any suggestions?

I just submitted my secondary, except i forgot to copy down the address to send the application fee, do any of you guys know what it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.