You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 University of Colorado Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on the newly accepted students! Unfortunately for me I did not receive that pleasant email, but still patiently waiting.
Question for the accepted WL folks. Are you OOSers or CO Residents?
Question for the accepted WL folks. Are you OOSers or CO Residents?
Hmm... maybe I should have sent my fin aid info.. could have sworn we were told not to, but obviously I'm wrong. Congrats to those who got in off the WL!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations on the newly accepted students! Unfortunately for me I did not receive that pleasant email, but still patiently waiting.
Question for the accepted WL folks. Are you OOSers or CO Residents?
I am a CO resident.
3
378979
I was accepted today, too! I may have called yesterday because I'm going to be out of the country for two weeks ... and the admissions committee may have extremely coincidentally been discussing me at that very moment ... and I may have therefore found out on the spot that I was accepted ...
And I may have been extremely ecstatic for the past day because this was my first choice school!!!!!
I'm looking forward to meeting everyone next year, and wait-listers - there is still hope. Good luck!
(I'm a California resident.)
And I may have been extremely ecstatic for the past day because this was my first choice school!!!!!
I'm looking forward to meeting everyone next year, and wait-listers - there is still hope. Good luck!
(I'm a California resident.)
Congrats everyone! Sadly, I get the feeling this year is not my year. 🙁
Yeah, I've pretty much lost hope too. I called Ashley today and she said that about 40 people off the wait list were accepted yesterday (and congratulations to you guys!!!) The email that I got back in March about being wait-listed said that about 50-60 people are accepted off the wait list every year. So a few more will get in, but not as many as did yesterday. Good luck to all!
Accepted yesterday at 1:21pm. IS. I'm so excited! I was dreading the thought of another year of applying, fees, and waiting. To all of of those accepted off the waitlist, congratulations!
Thoughts of good luck and patience to those still waiting for good news.
Thoughts of good luck and patience to those still waiting for good news.
Well, here's to hoping for another round of wait list acceptances! Congrats to those of you who got one yesterday!
Congratulations on the newly accepted students! Unfortunately for me I did not receive that pleasant email, but still patiently waiting.
Question for the accepted WL folks. Are you OOSers or CO Residents?
I'm OOS (CA)
I made a terribly difficult decision today and withdrew from CU. My hope is that the seat will go to one for you. Good luck waitlisters! CU is such an awesome school. Dang, I am really going to miss CO. I was IS.
IS Accepted off WL yesterday. Probably going to attend a different school. Definitely would have attended CU had they accepted me earlier.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ha me too! Still on the WL. Hoping there's a spot for me!I received my acceptance off the waitlist today! There is still hope waitlisters! I'm is. Good luck everyone still waiting.
(this is my first post, but the number of times I have checked this site is second only to my email account haha)

I'm still on the WL too. Starting to get really nervous that I'm not going to gain acceptance. Wonder how many people are still on the WL and how many spots are still open?
Hi all, I haven't posted anything in a while, but I got accepted off the WL today. In state, traditional student from CSU, 36, 4.0. I wish they hadn't waited so long to accept me because I've already signed a lease and committed to the University of Iowa. I am very disappointed with the lackluster response of my own state, and considering that Iowa accepted me back in November, it is clearly something about CU...not me...that made them take so flipping long. Oh well, sorry guys, just needed to vent. It really seems like CU is anti-traditional students sometimes.
Anywho, I'll send in my "thanks but no thanks" response soon and hopefully one of you will get my spot. I hope that whoever does is able to take it and loves going to CU. I'll miss Colorado, but hopefully I can come back for residency.
Anywho, I'll send in my "thanks but no thanks" response soon and hopefully one of you will get my spot. I hope that whoever does is able to take it and loves going to CU. I'll miss Colorado, but hopefully I can come back for residency.
I just received an email about a financial aid package, but with no accompanying acceptance letter or other info. I am hoping to get off the WL, but my excitement is reserved because I think this might be a fluke? It seems like this happened to someone else earlier. Any thoughts?
I just talked to Ashley and she said that if I submitted the FAFSA that I would automatically receive the email. Is that true, have all of you received an email about financial aid? She says that I have not been accepted at this time. Also, they must send an accompanying password in order to access the financial info.
I'm sorry, I am confused here... You are 'venting' out of frustration from being accepted off of the waitlist?!?! Sometimes I am amazed at the audacity of these medical institutions for not outright accepting people with above average MCAT and GPA. And making you attend a mandatory interview with those 'commoners'...Hi all, I haven't posted anything in a while, but I got accepted off the WL today. In state, traditional student from CSU, 36, 4.0. I wish they hadn't waited so long to accept me because I've already signed a lease and committed to the University of Iowa. I am very disappointed with the lackluster response of my own state, and considering that Iowa accepted me back in November, it is clearly something about CU...not me...that made them take so flipping long. Oh well, sorry guys, just needed to vent. It really seems like CU is anti-traditional students sometimes.
Anywho, I'll send in my "thanks but no thanks" response soon and hopefully one of you will get my spot. I hope that whoever does is able to take it and loves going to CU. I'll miss Colorado, but hopefully I can come back for residency.
Other than blatant narcissism, if you had no intention of accepting an offer of admission from CU off of the waitlist, why not withdraw your application and avoid wasting everyone's time?
I just talked to Ashley and she said that if I submitted the FAFSA that I would automatically receive the email. Is that true, have all of you received an email about financial aid? She says that I have not been accepted at this time. Also, they must send an accompanying password in order to access the financial info.
Hey there smoothblue-- I haven't received any email from CU and I did include them in my FAFSA application. Actually, I didn't receive any FAFSA-related emails from the other school that I actually had been accepted into, so it's maybe just a timing thing? Not sure. I have received no correspondence from CU since the March email saying that I was waitlisted. No email about financial aid, nothing asking me if I'm still interested, and my 'status' on the application website has had no updates since my interview. I think they must have forgotten about me! Which is a huge bummer, because I would very much like to be at CU. Still, I'm in somewhere, so I shouldn't complain. Good luck to you and congrats to those with the recent acceptances!
I'm still on the WL as well, and haven't received anything about financial aid. For financial reasons (bad timing for my transmission to break and eat all my app fee savings), I only applied to CU this past cycle. This time I already have my AMCAS verified and being sent to 17 schools, but boy would I love to squeeze in off the waitlist this year!
I'm sorry esrever, I really wasn't trying to brag, I was just stating my stats so that others who are still waiting can maybe predict if they'll get in as well. I was frustrated because I had my heart set on CU for so long, and had basically given up hope and went forward with my other school. I am grateful to be accepted, but I had wished that it had occurred sooner--before I had signed a lease in another state, etc.
I didn't mean to offend anyone. Sorry everybody.
I didn't mean to offend anyone. Sorry everybody.
I just talked to Ashley and she said that if I submitted the FAFSA that I would automatically receive the email. Is that true, have all of you received an email about financial aid? She says that I have not been accepted at this time. Also, they must send an accompanying password in order to access the financial info.
I don't recall receiving this email, and can't find anything like it in my inbox. I completed the FAFSA, but haven't heard anything back from anyone about it yet. Did your email come from CU SOM, or from FAFSA?
In other news, I'm about to drop another $600 on my primary ap for 2012. I sure wish I had a better idea of where I stood on the wait list, since it would be a total waste to submit one day and get accepted the next. Not that I'd really complain. 😀 Good to hear about the acceptances still coming out. Congrats to all of you who receive one!
I'm sorry esrever, I really wasn't trying to brag, I was just stating my stats so that others who are still waiting can maybe predict if they'll get in as well. I was frustrated because I had my heart set on CU for so long, and had basically given up hope and went forward with my other school. I am grateful to be accepted, but I had wished that it had occurred sooner--before I had signed a lease in another state, etc.
I didn't mean to offend anyone. Sorry everybody.
Stats alone can't predict chances of acceptance, as most people know.
I'm sorry you didn't get in sooner, when you still had your heart set on CU. You can, however, always get out of a lease if you want it bad enough. I guess now you don't (no judgment implied).
I, for one, hope you enjoy Iowa and whoever benefits from your declined acceptance will be ecstatic and psyched to start. In fact, I hope all my classmates are excited to be there.
Last edited:
I was originally going to assign schools to my primary in groups based on when they usually sent out their secondaries, but I ended up just going for most of them off the bat. My outlook has changed to (if I end up getting in off the waitlist) look how much $$ I'll save on secondary fees and interview costs!!
I was originally going to assign schools to my primary in groups based on when they usually sent out their secondaries, but I ended up just going for most of them off the bat. My outlook has changed to (if I end up getting in off the waitlist) look how much $$ I'll save on secondary fees and interview costs!!
That's a good way to look at it, and unfortunately there is a chance that we won't get bumped of the WL and being proactive on the apps this year will be a good thing! Best of luck!
Hi ThreadStalker,
My email was from the UC Denver Financial Aid office. It specifically said medicine, in fill in the blank style. I think it may be a fluke related to the fact that I was a student at UC Denver last fall. They used my former student id number. I don't know. I hope it isn't a fluke, but it isn't nice to get my hopes up and have them crushed either. I wish you luck.
My email was from the UC Denver Financial Aid office. It specifically said medicine, in fill in the blank style. I think it may be a fluke related to the fact that I was a student at UC Denver last fall. They used my former student id number. I don't know. I hope it isn't a fluke, but it isn't nice to get my hopes up and have them crushed either. I wish you luck.
I don't recall receiving this email, and can't find anything like it in my inbox. I completed the FAFSA, but haven't heard anything back from anyone about it yet. Did your email come from CU SOM, or from FAFSA?
In other news, I'm about to drop another $600 on my primary ap for 2012. I sure wish I had a better idea of where I stood on the wait list, since it would be a total waste to submit one day and get accepted the next. Not that I'd really complain. 😀 Good to hear about the acceptances still coming out. Congrats to all of you who receive one!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Huh, well, nothing like that for me yet. If you search back a couple of pages (probably page 10 or 11) in this thread, someone else posted the same thing. You could PM them and find out if they got an offer or not. G'luck!Hi ThreadStalker,
My email was from the UC Denver Financial Aid office. It specifically said medicine, in fill in the blank style. I think it may be a fluke related to the fact that I was a student at UC Denver last fall. They used my former student id number. I don't know. I hope it isn't a fluke, but it isn't nice to get my hopes up and have them crushed either. I wish you luck.
Hi ThreadStalker,
My email was from the UC Denver Financial Aid office. It specifically said medicine, in fill in the blank style. I think it may be a fluke related to the fact that I was a student at UC Denver last fall. They used my former student id number. I don't know. I hope it isn't a fluke, but it isn't nice to get my hopes up and have them crushed either. I wish you luck.
Hey, Smoothblue,
I received the e-mail you are talking about at about the same time, and I am still on waitlist. In all likelihood, it is indeed automatic and the financial aid applications are processed randomly, which is why others seem to have not received it.
Anyway, I figured I'd post this to let you know you aren't the only one, and unfortunately, our chances of getting in this med school are slim to none this year.
Take care.
@ smoothblue
Did you try logging in your ucdaccess account? I see that under "View financial aid" there are loans listed, but under "Accept/Decline awards" it says "Award information is not yet available". Does the same thing happen when you do it? I don't know if there's anything to it.
Did you try logging in your ucdaccess account? I see that under "View financial aid" there are loans listed, but under "Accept/Decline awards" it says "Award information is not yet available". Does the same thing happen when you do it? I don't know if there's anything to it.
I am not even able to log in. Ashley said that they would send a user name and password to accepted students. I think it was nothing but false hopes. 🙄
Accepted today! Out of state, interviewed in December, very much nontraditional (i.e. ancient), 3.7 overall / 3.9 BCPM, 40R. My first acceptance! I still can't quite believe it, as it's been a long and bumpy road. Keep your head up, as it's still possible! Definitely send in an update letter, if you are waitlisted and still interested but haven't already done so.
I'm working on my essay for this prompt right now...
I have a couple of options of things to write about, but I feel like there may be a stigma attached to the first in the list and would like to know other's opinions on which of these to use...
1) my father is manic-depressive schizophrenic (I don't want schools to look at this and think, well if he is then there is a genetic probability that she may also be)
2) my sister is/was (they say once an addict always an addict- but she's been clean 3 years) a meth addict
3) my uncle and one of my best friends share the same C-2 vertebral injury that left them both quadriplegic- my uncle is no longer alive, but my friend lives close by
I also have the option to address the fact that I'm not natively English speaking- but I already stated that I grew up in another country on my PS and put down my first language in my primaries- so this would be a bit of a repeat I think...
Could someone tell me which they think would be best to use, or if there would be a stigma attached to the first?
Thanks a lot!
I have a couple of options of things to write about, but I feel like there may be a stigma attached to the first in the list and would like to know other's opinions on which of these to use...
1) my father is manic-depressive schizophrenic (I don't want schools to look at this and think, well if he is then there is a genetic probability that she may also be)
2) my sister is/was (they say once an addict always an addict- but she's been clean 3 years) a meth addict
3) my uncle and one of my best friends share the same C-2 vertebral injury that left them both quadriplegic- my uncle is no longer alive, but my friend lives close by
I also have the option to address the fact that I'm not natively English speaking- but I already stated that I grew up in another country on my PS and put down my first language in my primaries- so this would be a bit of a repeat I think...
Could someone tell me which they think would be best to use, or if there would be a stigma attached to the first?
Thanks a lot!
Talk to your advisor. You'll get a variety of opinions on this thread, and none will be worth as much as your advisor's.
I'm working on my essay for this prompt right now...
I have a couple of options of things to write about, but I feel like there may be a stigma attached to the first in the list and would like to know other's opinions on which of these to use...
1) my father is manic-depressive schizophrenic (I don't want schools to look at this and think, well if he is then there is a genetic probability that she may also be)
2) my sister is/was (they say once an addict always an addict- but she's been clean 3 years) a meth addict
3) my uncle and one of my best friends share the same C-2 vertebral injury that left them both quadriplegic- my uncle is no longer alive, but my friend lives close by
I also have the option to address the fact that I'm not natively English speaking- but I already stated that I grew up in another country on my PS and put down my first language in my primaries- so this would be a bit of a repeat I think...
Could someone tell me which they think would be best to use, or if there would be a stigma attached to the first?
Thanks a lot!
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K