2023-2024 Tennessee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Tennessee Secondary Essay Prompts: (Heads up - return the secondary within 7 days of your email date! )

1. (optional) List all courses you are currently taking or plan to take within the current academic year (e.g., Fall 2023 and/or Spring 2024).
List course(s), title, and credit hours. (1000 characters) ( I think it's only "optional" if you're not currently a student!)

2. (optional) Any additional information not previously provided in the personal comments of your AMCAS primary application? (500 characters)

3. (optional) Given the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, we would like to provide our applicants with an optional essay prompt for the year's UTHSC College of Medicine secondary application. Please use the text field below to share with us how you may have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, including academic, financial, medical disruptions, etc. It would also be helpful for us to know if any of your planned experiences in shadowing, volunteering, research, employment, or other activities have been suspended due to the pandemic. (2500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
university-of-tennessee-health-science-center-college-of-medicine-memphis

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone received a secondary yet? They're supposed to start sending them out late July

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope! My primary was acknowledged, though. Thats it.

I also got primary confirmation on 7/4 and haven't heard anything since. Glad we're all on the same page though.

Is anyone prewriting? Does anyone know if they have reused their secondary prompts?

I'm surprised they haven't sent out anything and it is Aug 1st tomorrow

Reactions: 2 users
Me too @ineedanswers I thought they'd for sure send it before 8/1. Also, does everyone get a secondary, or just those who are qualified?

Reactions: 1 user
Their admissions website says that they charge $100 for their secondary too, which is bizarre because all the previous years everyone says it was free

I'm guessing no-one has heard a thing?
Nope. Received an email in early July stating they will send secondaries in late July, but nothing so far. Not necessarily complaining, though.

still no secondary as of 8/13 :-/

I guess we are all so eager! haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
They apparently took quite a while last year as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
No secondary as of 8/18. Hoping to hear if we won't be receiving one so my hopes won't be kept up.

IS and nothing further as of 8/22 (besides the primary acknowledgment email). Do we know if they've sent any secondaries as of yet? Information seems pretty vague about their planned process this year as a whole.

IS and nothing further as of 8/22 (besides the primary acknowledgment email). Do we know if they've sent any secondaries as of yet? Information seems pretty vague about their planned process this year as a whole.
Confused Harry Potter GIF

... +1 IS received 😂

OOS received! What do you think the Optional “additional information” essay should include?

For IS residents who grew up in TN but completed undergrad in another state, how are you answering the bona fide resident and length of residency questions?

@wysdoc Looks like the same prompts as last year:
1. List all courses you are currently taking or plan to take within the current academic year (e.g., Fall 2021 and/or Spring 2022 (sic)).
List course(s), title, and credit hours. (1000 characters, optional)
2. Any additional information not previously provided in the personal comments of your AMCAS primary application. (500 characters, optional)
3. Given the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, we would like to provide our applicants with an optional essay prompt for the year's UTHSC College of Medicine secondary application. Please use the text field below to share with us how you may have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, including academic, financial, medical disruptions, etc. It would also be helpful for us to know if any of your planned experiences in shadowing, volunteering, research, employment, or other activities have been suspended due to the pandemic. (2500 characters, optional)

Also of note, the application must be submitted within 7 days of receipt, so don't miss that pretty quick turnaround.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
For IS residents who grew up in TN but completed undergrad in another state, how are you answering the bona fide resident and length of residency questions?
This link has further information about residency requirements. Generally, schools don't consider going to college in another state as forfeiting your Tennessee residency, if that's where you graduated high school and/or that's where your parents live.

2. (optional) Any additional information not previously provided in the personal comments of your AMCAS primary application? (500 characters)
What is this space best used to answer? Gap year/application updates?

IS Secondary Received & Submitted 8/22/23. UTHSC Alumnus.

Update: Secondary confirmation received 8/23/23

Last edited by a moderator:
On their website it says that they won't start sending IIs until October

Reactions: 2 users
too late to apply here? no ties btw… (ik ab the residency bias)

That email just jump-scared me

Reactions: 6 users