2010-2011 University of Tennessee Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alriiight, after creeping in the wings for 3 years I'm ready to make my SDN debut.

Here's the breakdown:
Primary finished 8/19
Secondary 10/1-ish
Interviewed 10/20
31/3.4sGPA/23yo/female

Had Dr. Jameson and Dr. Presbury and loved them both - I think my interview with Dr. P went well-ish and my interview with Dr. Jameson was great (I loved her! Not certain that it was mutual). One of my LOR writers was dragging his feet on getting that letter in so my application was not actually 100% complete until this week, and I'm HOPING that's the cause of the delay in meeting to discuss my application. Got the e-mail saying my fate will be decided this Friday the 19th. Anyone else have this delay between interview / notification? What're the numbers looking like as far as accepted / waitlisted / rejected so far?

Also, for those who are waiting to be interviewed, I know last year's thread made it seem like 8-10 were being interviewed MWF every week. On my interview day there were only 5, and when I returned for the tour (Memphis local but had a flight to catch and couldn't stay for the tour the first day) there were only 3 interviewees that day. Basically I am trying to explain, in as convoluted a way as possible, that they're not really cranking 'em through the mill so there's no need to worry if you haven't interviewed yet! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Jessica!

I didn't have any delays with my app, besides the fact that it took about a month longer from secondary to interview invite than it did with ETSU. Thankfully my letter-wrters were timely; I hope that's not at the cost of the quality of their letters since I did have to "harass" one of them to hurry up.

But I also interviewed with Dr.'s Jameson and Presbury, on 10/26! Loved Jameson so much. Presbury was a bit harder. Some people warned me, but some other people said "he's just a big teddy bear." For our particular conversation, that didn't help much. Anyway, I'm also being brought up in their 11/19 meeting! So I guess, good luck to both of us!

I think I'm going to have to not look on this thread anymore. Especially after seeing that OOS people are interviewing without having everything in. That just makes me feel hopeless now. haha My poor litte ego :boom:

Good luck Akr and Jessica!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm going to have to not look on this thread anymore. Especially after seeing that OOS people are interviewing without having everything in. That just makes me feel hopeless now. haha My poor litte ego :boom:

Keep your head up TropicalKitty. If you consider the fact that they started interviewing in October and interview roughly 15 students a week (5 each on M,T,W), then at the end of this week they will have interviewed only around 100 students total. Their profile of admissions said they interviewed around 519 applicants last year, so you are still very likely to be in that 400 that are left. I know it's a grueling process, but have some faith in yourself and go have some fun =).

I'm so masochistic! I really am laughing as I post my fears. It is nice to hear from people going through the process to see what's going on. I'll hear from them one day.

And have fun? I have to clean the house for Thanksgiving. Gotta love hosting! I can't wait to cook up a storm, though. :thumbup:

Ooh, maybe that should have been my angle "Will cook for med school acceptance"

Keep your head up TropicalKitty. If you consider the fact that they started interviewing in October and interview roughly 15 students a week (5 each on M,T,W), then at the end of this week they will have interviewed only around 100 students total. Their profile of admissions said they interviewed around 519 applicants last year, so you are still very likely to be in that 400 that are left. I know it's a grueling process, but have some faith in yourself and go have some fun =).
Actually, since my wife is a student they are given the list of students interviewing for the week. She told me that this week was really light because there were only 16 students interviewing. She says there usually is about 2 pages of students interviewing. I will have to sneak into her e-mail and find out how many 2 pages is. Anyway Tropical, like we said before, if you got a secondary you will probably get an interview. While having an early interview is ideal it can backfire. You do not want to interview early on a day where every student there is a science god and has letters from ghandi and mother theresa. It may be better if you interview late and look good against the dude who shows up in his star trek uniform or the the daddy's girl who shows up late in flip-flops a tang top and board shorts (yes this really happened).(well not the star trek uniform...not that I know of anyway). No worries:thumbup:

No worries Tropical!! The OOS students are considered separately from the in state. They even have their own separate waitlist and there is only around 10 to 15 in a class. They are certainly compared to the rest of the class but they are simply not the same. You have a much better chance of getting in than one of them.

I'm actually not OOS (if you were even referring to me) - grew up in Memphis and live there now, just went to undergrad OOS! And I agree / worry that VitalArmor is right about the cons of being a borderline candidate (me!) and interviewing so early in the process. I'm not sure at all why I got such an earlyish interview, I suspect that it may have been that someone canceled and since I'm local I was asked to fill the spot on short notice (like a week). I feel like the day went really well, but I'm still pretty confident that I'll be a direct-to-waitlist since everyone they have to compare me to thus far has all-star numbers. Not at all a woe-is-me post - I think I'd still have a decent shot off the waitlist, but I'm okay with the facts.

I'm actually not OOS (if you were even referring to me) - grew up in Memphis and live there now, just went to undergrad OOS! And I agree / worry that VitalArmor is right about the cons of being a borderline candidate (me!) and interviewing so early in the process. I'm not sure at all why I got such an earlyish interview, I suspect that it may have been that someone canceled and since I'm local I was asked to fill the spot on short notice (like a week). I feel like the day went really well, but I'm still pretty confident that I'll be a direct-to-waitlist since everyone they have to compare me to thus far has all-star numbers. Not at all a woe-is-me post - I think I'd still have a decent shot off the waitlist, but I'm okay with the facts.
Historically the top 1/3 of the wait list gets in. However the last couple years have been very slow and last year the top 1/4 did not get in:( Also, UT likes to "round out" their class (whatever that means). I assume they like to balance fantastic numbers with things like age and experience. Every year they publish their average class numbers and they might as well be displaying my numbers. So I am not sure how it will turn out. I too am a borderline candidate. Good luck anyway:thumbup:

soooo i saw some earlier posts that say the adcom met today..... does everyone whose file will be reviewed at a specific meeting get an email to that effect? as an OOSer i was also wondering if they make decisions on OOS acceptances this early in the season (if anyone knows)? :confused:

soooo i saw some earlier posts that say the adcom met today..... does everyone whose file will be reviewed at a specific meeting get an email to that effect? as an OOSer i was also wondering if they make decisions on OOS acceptances this early in the season (if anyone knows)? :confused:
Well, if you were interviewed you will be notified once they have made any decision on you. Acceptance, rejection, waitlist, or decision at a later date are the options once you are interviewed. I do not know much about how they handle OOSers. I assume they handle them like everyone else. They fill a few slots right away and get more conservative as they go on. Nelson says they accept more people than they have slots expecting some to drop.

Interviewees, on interview day in Memphis, get to know what day their files will be reviewed for final decision/waitlist. They also emailed me a different date later, because I think they did not get around to my file the first time. They said that decisions would be mailed out 5 days after that (in my case, Nov. 24, following a Nov. 19 meeting). Pre-interview, I was kept in the dark about when and how I was being discussed... but I guess one possibility is that they discuss all applicants at all stages of the process in the same meetings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewees, on interview day in Memphis, get to know what day their files will be reviewed for final decision/waitlist. They also emailed me a different date later, because I think they did not get around to my file the first time. They said that decisions would be mailed out 5 days after that (in my case, Nov. 24, following a Nov. 19 meeting). Pre-interview, I was kept in the dark about when and how I was being discussed... but I guess one possibility is that they discuss all applicants at all stages of the process in the same meetings.
Not exactly, they do have meetings every thursday or friday, they do usually have meetings about that weeks interviews in the same week and mail out an answer to the applicant one week later. There are some circumstances in which they cannot do this. From time to time the interviewer has class or some other prior engagement. In this case they will put off that meeting (or at least put off discussing that student). During this time of year which is not only very busy but folks are taking vacation it is not only likely but expected that an interviewee's evaluation is put off until later. So no worries:thumbup:

Ok! I figured you might have a better-informed answer, thanks. Either way, my good news... It better come soon! I am having difficulties staying away from these forums and thinking of other things. Harry Potter helped a little bit though :)

Interview invite came tonight, OOS. :) But I'm afraid I'm going to have to withdraw my application, I have run out of money for interviews!! :) So hopefully this will open up a spot for someone else to interview.

ArmyWife, congrats, but sorry about the lack of funding! At least you have an acceptance already!

So emails are coming on weekends...great. I thought I could take the weekend off from the email checking. :laugh: At least there is still some sort of activity going on currently on the UT front despite the coming holiday!

So emails are coming on weekends...great. I thought I could take the weekend off from the email checking. :laugh: At least there is still some sort of activity going on currently on the UT front despite the coming holiday!

I got my interview invite on a weekend as well.. I interviewed on 11/15 and the suspense waiting for the letter is killing me!

Interview invite came tonight, OOS. :) But I'm afraid I'm going to have to withdraw my application, I have run out of money for interviews!! :) So hopefully this will open up a spot for someone else to interview.

How long did it take from being complete to receive your notification? I'm OOS too and it seems that they handle us a little differently.

How long did it take from being complete to receive your notification? I'm OOS too and it seems that they handle us a little differently.
OOS here- completed beginning of september, interview invite end of october....so about two months.

Doesn't UT normally send out that email, "your letter is on the way," on the day that they send decision letters in the mail? I've actually been waiting for that email all day, since they said in a previous email that they would be mailing a letter to me on November 24. No email today, any thoughts as to why? Could they have possibly not gotten around to sending the letters today... or not even gotten around to discussing my app last week?

Each day I think I can't wait any longer (especially around a date like today, when I was actually expecting something), but each day comes and goes and I haven't done anything really crazy yet! I'll just need to be even more patient, and thankful that I have not been rejected by them (yet). :xf:

Happy Thanksgiving... and Black Friday... and happy waiting to my comrades-in-waiting! :luck:

EXACTLY the same boat, Akr. I've actually been refreshing sdn every five minutes waiting to see if you've posted something since I know we were both supposed to be discussed last week. I haven't heard ANYTHING, and tomorrow is a national holiday so no mail service :(. Kind of dying over here.

Doesn't UT normally send out that email, "your letter is on the way," on the day that they send decision letters in the mail? I've actually been waiting for that email all day, since they said in a previous email that they would be mailing a letter to me on November 24. No email today, any thoughts as to why? Could they have possibly not gotten around to sending the letters today... or not even gotten around to discussing my app last week?

Yeah Diane said she was going to send an email. I was thinking they hadn't reviewed my app yet, but I really think they just didn't get around to sending out the letters. Hopefully we'll hear something on Monday.

Good luck and try to relax! (advice to myself as well :D )

Seems like they did get around to sending those letters on the 24th, at least some of them, they just didn't email about it....... I got the skinny envelope, with letter saying there is no final decision on me yet, and that they would revisit my app periodically. Final decision to be mailed to me no later than Friday April 22, 2011!

Currently speculating about weaknesses in my file, accepting that it's my destiny to wait a little (or a lot) longer, and hoping some of you got better news!

EDIT: Does somebody know the nature of the applicant's status when there is no final decision on them? i.e. is it a waitlist with rankings, or just a rankingless limbo? And if it's the former, do they typically divulge somebody's ranking to them, if asked?

Last edited:
Seems like they did get around to sending those letters on the 24th, at least some of them, they just didn't email about it....... I got the skinny envelope, with letter saying there is no final decision on me yet, and that they would revisit my app periodically. Final decision to be mailed to me no later than Friday April 22, 2011!

Currently speculating about weaknesses in my file, accepting that it's my destiny to wait a little (or a lot) longer, and hoping some of you got better news!

EDIT: Does somebody know the nature of the applicant's status when there is no final decision on them? i.e. is it a waitlist with rankings, or just a rankingless limbo? And if it's the former, do they typically divulge somebody's ranking to them, if asked?
AKR, when there is no final decision it means exactly that. Since there is a point system it means you have not been given your final point value....also as I have said before UT likes to "round out" their class. What this means I am not entirely sure. What I do know is that compared to some who have gotten in I am a far better candidate both in experience and numbers. On the the otherside of that coin I am far inferior to other candidates. My theory is some candidates are let in due to their "rounding" process. When you are given your final point value you are accepted or waitlisted or rejected. So yes, if they are still deciding your status then you are in limbo. Also, they typically do not tell you your exact ranking. I am not sure exactly why, Nelson might be willing to divulge the "why" if you ask him. I have noticed that if you are really close to the top of the wait list they will be more specific with your rank. The further down you are they will be more vague. I know people who were at the very top who were told their ranking or at least told "top 10 or 20 or 50, etc." Others are just told "top 1/4, or 1/3, or 1/2." We are told how many people are on the waitlist so we can do the math and figure those numbers in general using the fractions. Last year the wait list was 245 people so you knew what top 1/3 or 1/2 was. Also, as I have said before, last year less than the top 1/4 or less than 60 got in from the wait list. I do know they made it to 50 something (according to Nelson) on the waitlist. So, hope you are in the 50 or less category:xf:

Well, it's somehow nice to know that I'm not on a waitlist yet. Thanks for your answers VitalArmor! I just wish this non-decision didn't feel so much like a rejection :(

Well, it's somehow nice to know that I'm not on a waitlist yet. Thanks for your answers VitalArmor! I just wish this non-decision didn't feel so much like a rejection :(
Well I got the non-decision letter last year and then got wait listed (top 1/3 or top 80ish). The wait list is not always the worst place to be and non-decision is not always the worst place to be. I think these guys have been doing this a good long while and know when they get a batch of candidates that don't mesh well. So they wait and see other candidates so you might have a better chance of getting in. Typically they expect that about 90 students they accept are going to go somewhere else. As it is they have 165 slots and they accept around 195 (knowing that this many are not actually going to go to UT). It is likely they have a "magic" number they accept off the bat and then have other benchmark numbers where they start getting conservative. As far as I can tell, if they have not decided on you yet it usually means you will either be waitlisted or accepted and not rejected. I think they know who to reject, it's the students they don't know wether to let in immediately or not that they "struggle" with. The real down side is that the wait list was so long last year and they did not get through the top quarter. I think it was so long because they increased class size but did not account for the poor economy and the greatly increased competition. This led to less students dropping than expected. I think they figured with the larger class size they would have more students drop than average. They say the average number of students offered acceptances off the waitlist is between 60-65. The last 2 years this has not been true. The number has been in the mid 50's. Anyway, a non-decision letter can mean you have a 50/50 chance of getting in straight away:)

Akr, sorry about the limbo status.

Guess we're all waiting. This is definitely a trying process. I'm trying to remain hopeful, eventhough on here it may come across as more worried. Although, I do wonder why they never got back to me after I tried contacting them.

:xf: Everyone!

Got back from Thanksgiving travels last night to find an acceptance letter in the mail! They put CONGRATULATIONS! on the outside of the envelope!

got my acceptance in the mail on saturday....almost cried when my mother-in-law called me at work to tell me.

OOS, interviewed Nov. 9th (or thereabout)

still in shock. i love this school and i'm so excited!! :love:

Congratulations to those with acceptances! Great work! Ive been complete at UT since 9/24. Havent heard anything about interview. Would it be OK to call and see where I am at in the process or should I just wait it out?

I was supposed to hear back around this time too, but I still haven't gotten any kind of letter in the mail. Does this mean they didn't get to discuss my file and I have to keep waiting? I can't take this suspense... I'm hearing silence from all schools right now and I just want to hear something from somebody!

I was supposed to hear back around this time too, but I still haven't gotten any kind of letter in the mail. Does this mean they didn't get to discuss my file and I have to keep waiting? I can't take this suspense... I'm hearing silence from all schools right now and I just want to hear something from somebody!

It's possible.. Since it seems like everyone else has received their letter, I would assume that they haven't. The good news is that they are having another committee meeting this Friday.

The suspense of waiting is indeed nerve-wracking. I just found out that I'm in the "hold" category, so I could be waiting for months. :(

Good luck!

Interview invite late last night... thought for sure that I was a a goner here. Good luck to everyone one else waiting!

Congrats on the interview invite Wiingy. When were you complete?

Interview invite late last night... thought for sure that I was a a goner here. Good luck to everyone one else waiting!

Are these like automated emails that get sent out? I'm getting really confused as to when I should be paying attention to my email for possible invites. It'd be nice to step back so I can relax the frequent email checks.

Congrats, btw! Glad to see some of us are still in the running! Put in a good word for me? ;)

I really want an interview here. I just wish I knew what was going on with my application, I've been complete for awhile now and haven't heard a peep.

Are these like automated emails that get sent out? I'm getting really confused as to when I should be paying attention to my email for possible invites. It'd be nice to step back so I can relax the frequent email checks.

Congrats, btw! Glad to see some of us are still in the running! Put in a good word for me? ;)

Thanks! I was complete sometime in mid-August (first round of secondaries). Since it had been so long I just assumed I was passed over. Their invitation email has ALL CAPS in the subject line so it's pretty hard to miss.

I'll see what I can do about putting in a word...;) There may actually be some truth to this whole "all of those with secondaries get an interview rumor."

Wiingy, I'm in the same boat as you. Complete since last August, just got the interview invite yesterday. What date is yours for? I'm for the 13th.

What are your stats looking like, for comparison?

Stats:
Top-20 UGrad
3.4gpa/35mcat
~2 working hands on with patients in a clinical setting
~3.5 years research experience
Reapplicant

Wiingy, I'm in the same boat as you. Complete since last August, just got the interview invite yesterday. What date is yours for? I'm for the 13th.

What are your stats looking like, for comparison?

Stats:
Top-20 UGrad
3.4gpa/35mcat
~2 working hands on with patients in a clinical setting
~3.5 years research experience
Reapplicant

I'll also be there on the 13th (feel free to PM me). My stats are almost exactly the same as yours (less clinical time, more research, same numbers and ugrad).

hey guys is today an adcom meeting day?! good luck to everyone. i feel so much for anyone still waiting on an interview invite, and more so for those waiting to hear back post-interview (i know how nerve wracking that is). i figured i'd help re-invigorate this thread since this is where i'll be come next fall and i'm so freaking pumped about it. if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask! i worked at a lab at UT during undergrad and my sister's a resident physician here, so i think i've got some good insight into things about the school, the med, memphis.

also, to anyone who's still waiting- don't lose faith! from what i understand, UT runs a little slower than most other med schools: interview invites, acceptances, etc. can all come a little slower than those of other schools. :)

:luck: to everyone!

Thanks, Nattyrat, and congrats!
I'm sure I'll come up with some good questions for you, in time. The only things I am wondering about now, though, are:

1) Do many students, or any at all, live within walking distance from campus? And actually walk/bike to their classes (aside from Phi Chi residents)? None of the students I was able to talk to on interview day did... but of course I only talked to a few. And didn't think to ask this particular question from any of them.

2) Is there a norm for how long post-interview hold lasts, before the student hears something back regarding a final decision? It seems like UT actually has relatively frequent adcom meetings (weekly, right? or at least biweekly?)... yet how many of those meetings before they get around to a particular applicant, or how much of the class must be filled before they reassess an applicant - stuff like this burns in my mind whenever I think about this topic!

I'm sure I'll come up with some good questions for you, in time. The only things I am wondering about now, though, are:

1) Do many students, or any at all, live within walking distance from campus? And actually walk/bike to their classes (aside from Phi Chi residents)? None of the students I was able to talk to on interview day did... but of course I only talked to a few. And didn't think to ask this particular question from any of them.

2) Is there a norm for how long post-interview hold lasts, before the student hears something back regarding a final decision? It seems like UT actually has relatively frequent adcom meetings (weekly, right? or at least biweekly?)... yet how many of those meetings before they get around to a particular applicant, or how much of the class must be filled before they reassess an applicant - stuff like this burns in my mind whenever I think about this topic!

Other than the Phi Chi house there simply arent that many places to live near enough to campus to walk/bike from and it would not be safe to do so in that particular part of memphis anyway. As to your second question there are "traffic rules" for all medical colleges which UT must observe. This is UT's link which explains the process http://www.uthsc.edu/Medicine/Admissions/index.php?doc=COM_ADMS_STEP_BY_STEP.htm
Post interview hold can last until April, the "norm" totally depends on YOU. Are you the norm? Since a lot of the decisions the board makes are qualitative as well as quantitative there is no specific or "norm" time limit. I think UT likes to notify you of your status by April 15th. That is-acceptance, rejection, or waitlist. Once you fall into any of the categories you are NOT reevaluated. The meetings which take place most weeks are not particularly consistant. Not every interviewer can attend every meeting every week. Since this is the case and they prefer that whatever student they are discussing also has their interviewer attending, it can be weeks before they get to a particular student. So, the best answer anyone can give you is...it depends. All I can say is that you should be removed from hold status by April 15th and you should then know what group you fall into by then (acceptance, rejection, waitlist). So you can be waiting til April to know your status...however if you get waitlisted and depending on where you fall on the waitlist you may not know til the first week of August if you have been accepted or not. I hope this answers some of your questions:rolleyes:

Okeydokey... yes, that helps! And I totally should not have forgotten about that page you linked me to, I know I've been to it before. I guess I just never read all the way down! I had no idea about these "traffic rules" until now either.

Anyway, thanks again!

Any out-of-staters still waiting on an interview? I have yet to even receive an email about interviewing, though my secondary was submitted back in October.

ok so in answer to your first question, VitalArmor is right....other than the student housing which is available on campus (it's behind the dental building, X lot, and the big old freemason temple...not sure how much it costs per month though), i don't think many people live within walking/biking distance to campus.

with that being said, a lot of residents and med students live on mud island which is downtownish. the up-side is that it's a short walk or taxi drive to the bars on beale street (!!!), texas de brazil (yummyyyy), sekisui (a memphis sushi staple), and huey's (the best burger joint you will ever eat at- coming from a texan this means a lot). the down side is that i've heard it's super inconvenient to get groceries and stuff when you live there- not much shopping nearby. there's a nice park and running track on mud island, but as a female i would never feel safe running it alone (there have been a few assaults and that kind of thing on the trails at night). additionally, mud island is hardly what i would call an easy biking distance from campus. in the end you might still end up driving if you lived there.

HOWEVER, for two years i lived and commuted from germantown to downtown, and i will tell you it's not a bad commute at all. i was assigned to X lot and never had trouble parking as long as i arrived relatively early and nearby garages on campus weren't closed. the traffic in memphis, aside from the crazy drivers, is not bad either. the loop around the city pretty well allows you to avoid any traffic issues you might see on the news before you leave the house ("hmm...will i go east or west to get to work today?"). but i will warn you, memphis is the only city i've ever been to where non-signaled left-hand turns from the right lane happen on an almost daily basis....haha....bring your defensive driving with you ;)

long story short, if you end up coming to UTHSC, your best bet for housing is probably gonna be an apartment in mid-town. mid-town is in between east memphis/germantown and downtown memphis. it tends to be younger, hipper, and safer than most places downtown. i've been to numerous apartments in midtown that i thought were very nice. additionally, it's a pretty central location to everything the city has to offer.

lastly, you might be able to get an apartment in germantown (a beautiful, wealthy area with lots of shopping and VERY SAFE!!), but most people from memphis consider germantown wayyy too far away from downtown....obviously from what i've said, i disagree with this assessment :)

this is just an aside to loosely address a topic i saw touched on earlier- i have lived in a lot of different places and i can honestly say that memphis isn't the worst place i've ever lived. the city has it's very cool parts so don't let anyone scare you away because of that. the research going on here is amazing, and the experience you will get at the med (where i volunteered in undergrad for two years) is literally unmatched.

to your second question (finally...i know), i can't really offer much advise. i think VitalArmor covered it pretty well so i'm hoping that answers your question. good luck to you. i kinda feel like schools should put more weight on applications of those candidates that really WANT to go there. if they would read the SDN forums they'd see a lot of very dedicated people.

good luck to everyone!!

this thread has been kinda quiet today. This is my second SDN post but I have been searching and reading the SDN threads for a while and thought I would like to become a member (as of today). I had an interview at UT mid-November and still waiting for a response, a letter, something. Anyone here who interviewed in November got a response back yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.