2010-2011 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you suppose to receive a 'email' from VCU? I haven't received an e-mail or anything. However when I check my File Status it says Complete. Is this different from kachan's message?

Same here, I got an status update email on the 18th that said my letters were received. Right now mine just says complete and that I'm waiting for review. Hope no news is good news :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Same here, I got an status update email on the 18th that said my letters were received. Right now mine just says complete and that I'm waiting for review. Hope no news is good news :oops:

haha Shame I kept looking at File Status. I just realized the front page is Application Status. Yeah it says I'm under review. Hopefully it will change to good news for us.

My status changed this past Saturday to:

"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

Looking at last year's thread, it looks like a decent number of people with this status did end up getting interview invites (and acceptances as well!). Hopefully, those of us with this status will get invites over the next two months or so. I'd love to go to this school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaushik,

Last Wednesday I had my status updated to the same as yours. Today I got my invite for an interview. I'm IS, 32Q, 3.67sGPA, 3.66cGPA. Updated statuses are promising.

My status changed this past Saturday to:

"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

Looking at last year's thread, it looks like a decent number of people with this status did end up getting interview invites (and acceptances as well!). Hopefully, those of us with this status will get invites over the next two months or so. I'd love to go to this school!

Are you OOS or IS? Looking at last year's thread it looks like they send interview invites to IS people en masse first...then OOS later...hence the IS invites and OOS rejections so far. That status change is def a good sign though

Are you OOS or IS? Looking at last year's thread it looks like they send interview invites to IS people en masse first...then OOS later...hence the IS invites and OOS rejections so far. That status change is def a good sign though
Not all OOS got rejections - I got the "MAY get an interview" option

Not all OOS got rejections - I got the "MAY get an interview" option

I wish I knew the difference between the "MAY" status and "further" status. I got the one where they said they'd like to further review my app, and I am OOS.

Per last years thread (pages 6, 7)which I had a quick flick thru - the options were:
1. very interested
2. may be able to grant interview
3. would like to further review your file
4. reservations about granting interview/ goes to sub-committee
5. rejected

They debated the diff between 2 and 3 for pages and pages. Not really wanting to re-hash it lol. but its better than #4 and #5. I don't think they ever found a true answer, or at least i didnt come across one but i must admit i dont feel like going thru the whole thread

I wish I knew the difference between the "MAY" status and "further" status. I got the one where they said they'd like to further review my app, and I am OOS.

this was debated a lot last year. what i got from reading the thread was that the 'may' was better .. but some poeple disagreed with that. either way, a decent number of people received interviews and acceptances from both. :luck:

edit: took too long posting, robflanker beat me to it! but i did read through the whole thread :oops: lol

Per last years thread (pages 6, 7)which I had a quick flick thru - the options were:
1. very interested
2. may be able to grant interview
3. would like to further review your file
4. reservations about granting interview/ goes to sub-committee
5. rejected

They debated the diff between 2 and 3 for pages and pages. Not really wanting to re-hash it lol. but its better than #4 and #5. I don't think they ever found a true answer, or at least i didnt come across one but i must admit i dont feel like going thru the whole thread

this was debated a lot last year. what i got from reading the thread was that the 'may' was better .. but some poeple disagreed with that. either way, a decent number of people received interviews and acceptances from both. :luck:

Ok thanks! As long as people from both are getting interviews, there's probably not a huge difference between the two.

Kaushik,

Last Wednesday I had my status updated to the same as yours. Today I got my invite for an interview. I'm IS, 32Q, 3.67sGPA, 3.66cGPA. Updated statuses are promising.

Congrats on the interview invite! If I do end up getting an invite :)xf:), I think it would be more likely around September or so since I'm OOS.

I'm OOS. Yea, I got the sense that the OOS'ers get the invite a bit later than the IS'ers based on last year's thread.

i was categorized as status 2, but just got an interview today!

im oos, so hopefully more oos interviews are going to start coming out. have faith guys :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called them. For those who have been "forwarded to admissions committee" for some time but haven't seen a change.. the way I understood, it is forwarded to an adcom member and they review your file. So if you happen to be forwarded to a busy / slower adcom, then it'll take longer for your file to be given a priority. Looks like i'm in that boat :/.

Just called them. For those who have been "forwarded to admissions committee" for some time but haven't seen a change.. the way I understood, it is forwarded to an adcom member and they review your file. So if you happen to be forwarded to a busy / slower adcom, then it'll take longer for your file to be given a priority. Looks like i'm in that boat :/.

Yep, me too. Hey thanks for calling and clarifying that :)

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. My file is just stuck on a desk somewhere waiting to be looked at. Oh well, I had the same luck with the NCAA Academic Clearinghouse, my file got stuck on a desk of someone who was fired and sat there for two months, haha. Maybe since my reviewer is slow he/she is very important and thus busy and will have extra pull on interviews and such.

So I just got a status update email and was really excited/nervous..IT WAS MY THIRD "YOU ARE COMPLETE" notification! I went from "You are complete the admissions committee will now do a comprehensive review" to a different, shorter "You are complete" a week later to the first message again tonight.

When will they actually look at my file instead of continuing to tell me I'm complete? :(

interesting i am complete once again....

Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Is this status update what you guys are referring to "status 2?"

Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Same update.... hey its not a rejection. Maybe we got pooled or something like that.

i just got my "complete" e-mail (submitted yesterday); that's what it says for me do i don't think its "status 2"

i just got my "complete" e-mail (submitted yesterday); that's what it says for me do i don't think its "status 2"

you are correct that is not the 'status 2' update
what people are referring to as 'status 2' is one of the possible responses after they have reviewed your file. it says they 'may' interview you. details on this have been mentioned many times throughout the thread if you are interested

So I just got a status update email and was really excited/nervous..IT WAS MY THIRD "YOU ARE COMPLETE" notification! I went from "You are complete the admissions committee will now do a comprehensive review" to a different, shorter "You are complete" a week later to the first message again tonight.

When will they actually look at my file instead of continuing to tell me I'm complete? :(

Haha they did that to me yesterday. I'm not sure why they keep switching between the two "you are complete" statuses. At least it isn't a rejection! My heart drops every time I get an e-mail from them.

I never received a complete email, however my file status says complete and on the Application status it says that I am in the comprehensive review like you guys. Just kind of weird to me since I haven't received a "complete email." has this happened to anyone else?

Status update:

Status update:

That looks like a pretty baller status update. I'm still at the "may" status...seems like you are good to go. :thumbup:

That looks like a pretty baller status update. I'm still at the "may" status...seems like you are good to go. :thumbup:

Oh, man, check out the thread from last year. There is the "may" vs. "further" argument. From my take on it, most feel that the "may" message is a better one. Very controversial. But, what the heck do I know??? My status is complete, but no more.

Haha they did that to me yesterday. I'm not sure why they keep switching between the two "you are complete" statuses. At least it isn't a rejection! My heart drops every time I get an e-mail from them.

I got these "complete" then "complete" w/ a different ending emails on 3-5 different occasions. It's crazy. But then again, I think they do this when they just happen to update the "complete" notification to include answers to what people constantly ask them (i.e. requesting special dates). ...I guess?

I really hope it's not that the adcom just decided to forget about us for a while. :(

I don't even know what they mean by "please do not call to request special dates". What special dates? Dates for what?

Congrats to those who received an interview! - Are you guys applying EDP? (I'm new to this process)

I don't even know what they mean by "please do not call to request special dates". What special dates? Dates for what?

They mean they don't want you to call/email them saying "you're in the area" and wanted to see if you can arrange an interview with them because it's convenient and economical for you.

Oh, lord. I just submitted my secondary Monday morning (8/2). I suppose checking and re-checking my application status will serve to do nothing more than make me anxious.

Also, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread...All of the information has been very helpful, though also a bit unnerving.

Good luck everyone.

So I submitted my secondary on 7/25, but one of my LORs is missing... and I knwo it is in because it was received by AMCAS 2 weeks prior to the LOR that is posted as received on my status page... do you think I should call??:scared:

So I submitted my secondary on 7/25, but one of my LORs is missing... and I knwo it is in because it was received by AMCAS 2 weeks prior to the LOR that is posted as received on my status page... do you think I should call??:scared:

My philosophy: calling never hurts.

They should be used to a bunch of overly nurotic/perfectionist pre-med applicants wanting to make sure everything is 100% perfect with their applications. Just don't get an attitude and freak out over the phone especially because you give them your information. It's better to nip it in the butt sooner rather than later. Personally I've called this school at least 6 times since I submitted my secondary application.

There is a email link on the status page to email admissions if you are missing a LOR. They were missing one of mine and I sent them an email. Never got a direct response yet. Offered to send it to them directly through interfolio as well.
We might just have to wait a little while longer.

reeeeeejected....

im really bummed and surprised about this. i was really excited about this school! and i had two dreams about getting an interview here lol.

ah well, at least i got the first rejection of the season under my belt. motivation to finish the other secondaries im still working on haha

Interview!!! Complete 8/1, invite today 8/4!!! I love this school! :)

anyone know if they take writing intensive classes to substitute for english requirement?

i just shot them off an email but figured if anyone knew here might as well ask as well

Just got my third "Complete" message too. This is nuts!

I got a switch back to the long complete message today. That makes three also!

They declared one of letters non-science (when I thought it would be science) so I added another science letter and submitted my AMCAS again. Does anyone know if I have to do anything else to inform them that I updated my AMCAS with a new letter? I'm asking because I did this over the weekend and they still haven't marked my application complete. They only took one day to look over my previous letters after submission.

I would send them an email to confirm that it has been sent. It would prompt them to look into it.

Interview invite!!
Complete 7/15, Invite 8/5!
So psyched, I'm interviewing 9/20!

I just got a sent a secondary a couple days ago. I'm pretty pumped because I am OOS! Congrats to everyone that has and interview!

Interview invite!!
Complete 7/15, Invite 8/5!
So psyched, I'm interviewing 9/20!

I am officially jealous. They are taking their time to review my app. Still no priority score.

To those of you with interviews... what was your status before getting your invite? Thanks!

To those of you with interviews... what was your status before getting your invite? Thanks!

Mine went from:

To interview

Status
Not open for further replies.