2010-2011 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...you are reading into this WAY too much lol

Haha, I know, but I can't help it...we're all premeds after all :p

Members don't see this ad.

I got VCU secondary a 3 weeksago, and submitted 2 weeks ago, does anyone know why they haven't processed my letters? My file still says incomplete. is this an AMCAS issue or VCU issue?

I got VCU secondary a 3 weeksago, and submitted 2 weeks ago, does anyone know why they haven't processed my letters? My file still says incomplete. is this an AMCAS issue or VCU issue?

Did you get notification from AMCAS that your letters are all received yet? They should send you an email notice with every single letter/packet that they receive for your file. If AMCAS has them and you designate them to VCU, it should only be a matter of days, if not same day, that VCU has access. At least that's how it was for me, but I got most of my letters in way before working on secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got the "we are interested in your candidacy but MAY not be able to..." update. I'm so anxious! How do you guys keep from stressing/obsessing over this whole process?:scared:

Last edited:
yes i received the message from amcas and all of my letters are received and processed through amcas. In fact, all of my letter were in several weeks ago except one, which came in last week. interestingly, the only letter they are showing as received is the one that just came in. Strange

So I got the "we are interested in your candidacy but MAY not be able to..." update. I'm so anxious! How do you guys keep from stressing/obsessing over this whole process?:scared:

i wish i had this status!! mine hasn't updated yet, so im still sitting here, knowing they are going to review my app in the next couple of days, judge me, and decide which status i get.
like i posted on the previous page, from what i read in last years thread (and im enough of a loser to have read the ENTIRE THING lol) this is a good status.
and it is still way early, so go :cool: and have a beer or something! be glad that you are still in the game, and think about how when they were judging you they couldnt find very much to complain about. :)

i wish i had this status!! mine hasn't updated yet, so im still sitting here, knowing they are going to review my app in the next couple of days, judge me, and decide which status i get.
like i posted on the previous page, from what i read in last years thread (and im enough of a loser to have read the ENTIRE THING lol) this is a good status.
and it is still way early, so go :cool: and have a beer or something! be glad that you are still in the game, and think about how when they were judging you they couldnt find very much to complain about. :)

Thank you so much for the encouraging words! I hope all of us get into VCU together just because this the nicest thread I have ever been in. :luck:

Made it past the initial screen last night. So I guess I can join the club here now and participate in the thread ;)

I have about 675 words for the essay and after I saved that part, there was no error message for going over 600 words and all of the essay is still there. Does this mean I don't have to worry about my essay getting cut off after I submit it?

hey guys, i'm having trouble finding a pdf of their admissions handbook...does anyone know the link?

or do they not have one...:lame:

Members don't see this ad :)
Screen in...I'm surprised only 35% get it - my stats are not that high (I'm OOS). Did they change it up this year?

Looks like I'm a status 2, and will get notified in March if I don't get an interview... So does anyone know when we can expect to hear if we do get an interview?

Looks like I'm a status 2, and will get notified in March if I don't get an interview... So does anyone know when we can expect to hear if we do get an interview?

Hello. Last year, I got status #2 on a Sunday (in August) and got an invite the following Wednesday. My interview was in mid Sept and an acceptance on 10/16. So if you get that "we're interested in you" status this early, you are on your way to getting an invite. Hope this helps.

Complete 7/15, still no priority number. Is this bad news?

Hello. Last year, I got status #2 on a Sunday (in August) and got an invite the following Wednesday. My interview was in mid Sept and an acceptance on 10/16. So if you get that "we're interested in you" status this early, you are on your way to getting an invite. Hope this helps.

Wow...this sounds like a dream. No pressure, but would you mind telling us your stats? And are you SUPER pumped about the fact that you start soon?

INTERVIEW INVITE!! via status page. I'm in-state. SO PUMPED!

what is a status 2
?

INTERVIEW INVITE!! via status page. I'm in-state. SO PUMPED!

Stats! Stats! Did they email you that your status had changed or did you just randomly check it? So excited for you. I hope to see you there!

Stats! Stats! Did they email you that your status had changed or did you just randomly check it? So excited for you. I hope to see you there!

Thanks for the kind words guys! Stats are 3.7 GPA, 34P, lots of clinical ECs/research/publication. Complete 7/26, instate.

I got an email saying that my status had changed. Wasn't expecting too much, thought it would just be one of the five statuses that they give everyone (mine has been "under review" since last Thursday). Once you guys all get interviews I'll see you on Sept 14 :)

Wow...this sounds like a dream. No pressure, but would you mind telling us your stats? And are you SUPER pumped about the fact that you start soon?

I applied last cycle with a 4.0/32 and VCU will always have a special place in my heart since that's the first med school that accepted me. And yes, I am super pumped to start. Congrats to those getting invites, and to those waiting...be patient. The wait is definitely worth it when you read the words:

"Congratulations! You have been accepted..."

Even though I am not matriculating to this school, I would like to give you guys some insights about the interview process at VCU to calm your nerves.

During your interview, your interviewer will have 10 pages of questions (aprox 4 questions/page with lots of space to jot down notes). Don't worry, the interviewer has the discretion to choose which questions he like to ask (he won't ask all). The interview will be a 1 on 1 that will last approximately 1h.

Afterward, there will be two people who will be presenting your file to the committee. They will project your passport photo that you have submitted on the wall. The first person, who have never met you but have read your file thoroughly, will present your application in front of the committee. The second person, is your interviewer. He/she will supplement more information to the committee based on your interview.

Afterward, the committee will vote and assign a priority score to you. Priority score will range from 1 to 5 (1 being the highest, 5 being the lowest). They will take out the highest and lowest score, and average the rest. If your score is lower than a certain number, you get in.

For example, if your score is 1.5 and the score to get in for Oct 16th, 2011 is a 1.7 ... then you are accepted. On the other hand, if your score is a 2, you will have to wait until the next acceptance date (Dec, Feb, or April?) to get in. Each subsequent acceptance date, the minimum priority score to get in gets higher. So by April, if the priority score to get in is a 2.1 or less, then you will get accepted on that date. If you don't get in by April, you will be place on either the OOS or IS waitlist.

I believe I read somewhere that if you're priority score is 3.5 or higher, you automatically get rejected.

To lighten the mood, I want to tell a story about my student host. When he submitted his secondary, he was drunk at the time. He didn't feel like waiting for Walgreen to open to take his passport photo, so he submitted a random facebook photo from his computer. It turned out that it was a picture of him at the beach, wearing nothing but his sunglasses and speedo. And like I said above, they project that picture to the whole admission committee. He got accepted anyway. Anything to be unique, go for it! :cool:

Rejected. And I interviewed here last year... Go figure :p

Update to my status at 18:05:
"The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail in March."

Good luck to all

Edit: I'm OOS too and was complete on 7/28

Also rejected! Good luck to everyone else :)

Sorry to hear about the rejections, guys :(.

Sedaniel and Turkaglew, we are applying to almost all the same schools (im a sdn stalker) so I hope we all have good luck at other places :luck:

As for me, it still says Im being sent for a comprehensive review of my app, etc. but I dont know how long to expect till I hear back :oops:

goodluck all! :thumbup:

I'm sorry to hear about the rejections. I have a feeling I have one coming my way too. I just got a "status change" email but my status just changed to another variation of "you're complete and being reviewed".

Rejected post-secondary via status update notification.

OOS, 3.6ish, 30

I'm sorry to hear about the rejections. I have a feeling I have one coming my way too. I just got a "status change" email but my status just changed to another variation of "you're complete and being reviewed".

Yeah, me too...I was so afraid yet excited to see my status change email. And then...disappointed yet relieved again.

"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

haha oh man...can't wait to receive my rejection. I need one to get over the initial stab in the back.

To those that were rejected... did you receive these rejection updates after receiving an update that said, "we are interested...but MAY not be able to offer interview..." or something of the like? Or were you "under review" and then rejected?

Are people getting rejected one by one or was there a simultaneous rejection en masse? I kinda hope the latter cause otherwise it just feels like I'm hiding under my bed, hoping they don't find me.:xf:

To those that were rejected... did you receive these rejection updates after receiving an update that said, "we are interested...but MAY not be able to offer interview..." or something of the like? Or were you "under review" and then rejected?

I had received the doomed message of "we have reservations about your application, so we are sending it to a subcommittee for further review."

Stats: 3.35 GPA, 33 MCAT, OOS

Are people getting rejected one by one or was there a simultaneous rejection en masse? I kinda hope the latter cause otherwise it just feels like I'm hiding under my bed, hoping they don't find me.:xf:

Haha me too.

How long did most of you wait for a status update on your app? I have been stuck on "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decison." since 7/18. Is anyone still waiting? It seems like everyone has gotten an update from this initial status, I am just beginning to worry my file got lost in the shuffle and will never be updated, haha.

Hmm... My status update meant a change from the long "comprehensive review complete" (had that since 7/18) to the short "further decision complete" (Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decison sic). So weird, and for the people who have had that message all along, has it always had a typo? :)

OOS, 34, 3.7/3.5 sci

Last edited:
Are you suppose to receive a 'email' from VCU? I haven't received an e-mail or anything. However when I check my File Status it says Complete. Is this different from kachan's message?

Took me 5 days to get my "we might interview you" thing after I got my complete status.

I've had the complete message since 7/15 with no further updates..

Status
Not open for further replies.