2011-2012 Creighton Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would any recently accepted student/current student care to comment on the school/curriculum/student life at Creighton? Also any tips applying would be helpful!

Creighton is a top choice of mine! I know they are very service oriented which is awesome. I would love to get accepted here. Omaha rocks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Go Jesuits! Looking forward to filling out the secondary.

i thought it was a catholic school? also, what's the OOS situation here?

Hey, just to double check. If we are not Catholics, is that going to be a major problem at Creighton?

Hey, just to double check. If we are not Catholics, is that going to be a major problem at Creighton?

Nope! It focuses on the service commitment, but I've heard the religious doesn't factor into everyday life. There are a lot of non-Catholics and even non-religious people there.

Nope! It focuses on the service commitment, but I've heard the religious doesn't factor into everyday life. There are a lot of non-Catholics and even non-religious people there.

Yea, I don't think that religion is a main deciding factor. I was just commenting on the Jesuit/Catholic segment of the school because I'm Catholic myself. :D

Thanks, now I can go back to just being excited again!

I was focused on applying to more urban schools, but Catalystik mentioned Creighton in my WAMC thread and I did some reconsidering. I'm very interested in Jesuit med schools since I did my UG at a Jesuit school! Represent! :D I saw in their MSAR description that you have the option of doing your rotations in Phoenix, which would be awesome for me. Any current/prospective Creighton students have any insight on this?

StellaArtois,

I am applying to Creighton as well and know that about one third of the roughly 150 students will do their clinical rotations in phoenix during their 3rd and 4th years. The rest of the class will stay in Omaha. Matriculants indicate before they enter the school whether or not they would like to do their rotations in phoenix. I have heard that over 50% who indicated they would like to go to phoenix were able to go. It is based off of a lottery process. But those who don't get a spot are put on a waitlist, which has a history of moving.

StellaArtois,

I am applying to Creighton as well and know that about one third of the roughly 150 students will do their clinical rotations in phoenix during their 3rd and 4th years. The rest of the class will stay in Omaha. Matriculants indicate before they enter the school whether or not they would like to do their rotations in phoenix. I have heard that over 50% who indicated they would like to go to phoenix were able to go. It is based off of a lottery process. But those who don't get a spot are put on a waitlist, which has a history of moving.

Just to make sure...there's no way that someone who didn't want to go to Phoenix would end up there? I definitely have to stay in the big O.

Members don't see this ad :)
Phoenix would be pretty cool. I'd have to do some heavy reflection before checking that box, though.

Kansaskid, if you don't check the box to go to phoenix then you will definitely be staying in Omaha.

StellaArtois,

Awesome, thanks. (I'm the same person as StellaArtois, btw, just forgot my old SDN handle for a couple weeks there.) I could deal with living in Omaha for clinicals but would MUCH prefer Phoenix.

So, a couple of questions (it would be great if a current Creighton student could answer this, or someone who actually knows what they are talking about). I'm atheist. I can definitely see myself following along with the mission of service, but would I have a hard time fitting in with the rest of the students? Would there be a lot of religious pressure?

And secondly, my MSAR book says that for 2008-2009, 16 IS students matriculated compared to 109 OS students. Wow! But are these OS students from all over the US, or like, Kansas?

I just don't understand this whole in-state preference thing! Except for if you are truly from an underserved area and you want to stay there and go to medical school in the same place. But generally speaking, it wasn't like that for undergrad, so why does it have to be like this for med school? It seems so archaic. Who cares what state you're from? (Sorry for my ranting, I'm just about to lose my mind with the whole application thing.)

So, a couple of questions (it would be great if a current Creighton student could answer this, or someone who actually knows what they are talking about). I'm atheist. I can definitely see myself following along with the mission of service, but would I have a hard time fitting in with the rest of the students? Would there be a lot of religious pressure?

I can't speak specifically to Creighton, and so don't really satisfy your whole "know what you're talking about" requirement, but I did attend a very Catholic undergraduate institution as an atheist and encountered absolutely no behavior I would consider intolerant or even uncomfortable. I trust the same is true at Creighton. I'm sure the medical school population is at least as heterogeneous at the undergraduate population, which in turn features representatives from basically every ethnocultural group or religious tradition you can think of. I don't think this should be a problem. That said, you're free to dismiss my opinion as uninformed malarkey.
And secondly, my MSAR book says that for 2008-2009, 16 IS students matriculated compared to 109 OS students. Wow! But are these OS students from all over the US, or like, Kansas?

I just don't understand this whole in-state preference thing! Except for if you are truly from an underserved area and you want to stay there and go to medical school in the same place. But generally speaking, it wasn't like that for undergrad, so why does it have to be like this for med school? It seems so archaic. Who cares what state you're from? (Sorry for my ranting, I'm just about to lose my mind with the whole application thing.)

Actually, I think it IS still prevalent at the undergraduate level. There just happen to be a lot more seats available for the accommodation of "outsiders," and many undergrads stay relatively close to home anyway. There are definitely some colleges that give automatic acceptance to all in-state HS graduates achieving a certain SAT score and/or finishing in the top portion of their class. I know the whole state border thing may seem arbitrary/antiquated, but since state-sponsored schools are funded through taxpayer money, they sort of have an obligation to return on the investment of their citizens. State residency requirements allow a school to claim that their service is reserved for good ol' locals - "yes, Mr. Taxpayer, for your son and daughter" - per the mandate of school charters.

Creighton, though, is private. They can do whateva the hellz they want. I looked into whether they give preferential consideration to Kansans (because I am one of those, too :laugh:) and this doesn't seem to be the case.

Most of the OS students are from California I believe. The most represented states after California are generally states bordering Nebraska or states in the upper Midwest such as Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. Creighton gives no preference to instate. I think the applicant pool is generally self selecting in that most of the applicants are from the midwest or California. That is why these are the most represented states in the class. The website notes that the 2010 entering class represents 27 different states, so I am sure that there are students from all over the nation.

Anyone know when the being sending out secondaries? I don't believe they screen.

Their website says they send out secondaries starting today. I'm not verified yet. Anyone receive their invite already?

Same. The second essay is the exact same as one of my other secondary ones. Sweet

i swear a lot of us are applying in the same schools!

it'd be awesome to meet you guys in person at interview day.

ok so if you graduated on or before september 2009, you are considered non-trad applicant and must submit 3 letters of rec from recent scientific work or study.

3 seems a bit excessive, no?

anyone know how strict they are about this? will 2 suffice?

ok so if you graduated on or before september 2009, you are considered non-trad applicant and must submit 3 letters of rec from recent scientific work or study.

3 seems a bit excessive, no?

anyone know how strict they are about this? will 2 suffice?

Does that mean all three have to come from science faculty?

2000 character limit
1.Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine.
2.Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition.

gl everyone:)

Anybody know when they start interviewing? I didn't realize they would be sending secondaries out so soon. My primary app was just verified yesterday, but I haven't received a secondary yet.

Zomg. Overwhelmed in secondaries now. I feel like I'm playing tetris after I haven't looked at the screen for a minute

i swear a lot of us are applying in the same schools!

it'd be awesome to meet you guys in person at interview day.
Would be awesome. Good luck to you all!

i finished 11 before this one. I currently have 2 atm.

WOO jesuit education. The theme of my PS is one of the minor jesuit motto's.

"Are you capable of completing the CUSOM curriculum WITH OR WITHOUT reasonable accommodation? " Does this refer strictly to the technical abilities in the technical standards policy, or does it have some financial background in the question as well? I am definitely going to need some reasonable accommodation in at least loans.

Submitted yesterday!

"Are you capable of completing the CUSOM curriculum WITH OR WITHOUT reasonable accommodation? " Does this refer strictly to the technical abilities in the technical standards policy, or does it have some financial background in the question as well? I am definitely going to need some reasonable accommodation in at least loans.

I took this to mean technical standards because its asking about the curriculum, but that's just how I took it. May not be right...Also if you can complete it WITH reasonable accommodation, you can still check the box.

Thats how i took it.

Looking forward to applying here. I've always loved Omaha and I have heard fantastic things about Creighton. I'm worried that I don't have as much volunteer experience as they would like to see....

Anyone else have trouble with the payment portion? It isn't loading and keeps registering a non-payment...

Yep same thing for me for credit card attempt. I am on a Mac. I've tried different browsers tho. I sent them an email asking about it/an alternate method of paying. But if its happening to everyone, at least we're not getting behind the game!

Yep same thing for me for credit card attempt. I am on a Mac. I've tried different browsers tho. I sent them an email asking about it/an alternate method of paying. But if its happening to everyone, at least we're not getting behind the game!
I was able to pay with pay pal

I had problems getting to the payment page using Firefox (would take me to a blank page, then when I tried to pay again it said my payment was processing, and I couldn't enter any more payment info).

I used IE and it worked just fine.

Paypal says my payment was accepted (using my CC), but Creighton just sent me an e-mail saying it was not successful so I can pay again. Is this the same problem others are having?

Status
Not open for further replies.