2023-2024 Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Creighton Secondary Prompts

1. Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. (2000 characters)

2. In Creighton's Jesuit, Catholic tradition, the mission of the School of Medicine is to improve the human condition with a diverse body of students, faculty and staff who provide excellence in educating students, physicians and the public, advancing knowledge and providing comprehensive patient care to all persons. Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the School of Medicine achieve its mission. (2000 characters)

3. Describe your experiences within multicultural settings and/or with disadvantaged or underserved populations and how they prepared you to for a future as a physician? (2000 characters)

4. Describe how you have dealt with a personal challenge or major obstacle that you have overcome. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school. (2000 characters)

5. Please reflect on your entire application, is there anything you would like to further share with the Admissions Committee? Gap(s) in your education, personal and/or academic challenges, etc. (2000 characters)

6. At Creighton we are committed to the service of others through non-medical volunteer activities. Please list all your non-medical community service hours post high school. Please list any experiences, including those previously described on your AMCAS application. Include a brief description, dates and number of hours for each event. (300 characters per description)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! M2 at the Omaha campus here and I'm happy to answer any questions that y'all may have (whenever I have a spare moment to come here :giggle:). Also, I'd highly recommend that you all follow the @cusomadmissions page on Instagram because they have weekly student takeovers, and I personally felt that this was a great way for me to learn what it's like to be a CUSOM student.

Good luck to everyone who's applying this cycle!

Reactions: 3 users
Should I refer to the institution as "CUSOM" or "Creighton" in the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I refer to the institution as "CUSOM" or "Creighton" in the secondary?
Use the full Creighton University School of Medicine to hit that character limit 😎

Reactions: 1 users
Can you please post the secondary :)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if Creighton screens before sending the secondary?

@wysdoc Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. (2000 characters)

In Creighton's Jesuit, Catholic tradition, the mission of the School of Medicine is to improve the human condition with a diverse body of students, faculty and staff who provide excellence in educating students, physicians and the public, advancing knowledge and providing comprehensive patient care to all persons. Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the School of Medicine achieve its mission. (2000 characters)

Describe your experiences within multicultural settings and/or with disadvantaged or underserved populations and how they prepared you to for a future as a physician? (2000 characters)

Describe how you have dealt with a personal challenge or major obstacle that you have overcome. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school. (2000 characters)

Please reflect on your entire application, is there anything you would like to further share with the Admissions Committee? Gap(s) in your education, personal and/or academic challenges, etc. (2000 characters)

Please describe your current activities/employment if you are not currently enrolled as a fulltime student. (2000 characters)

At Creighton we are committed to the service of others through non-medical volunteer activities. Please list all your non-medical community service hours post high school. Please list any experiences, including those previously described on your AMCAS application. Include a brief description, dates and number of hours for each event. (300 characters per description)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the 2nd question is asking lol??
Yea I had a difficult time writing something that was different from their why us essay. I chose to focus on mission fit, location, and research for the why us and talked about becoming involved in clubs or something there for the 2nd I think since it seems to want actionable things...

Anyone else getting Server Error when going on the "Upload Materials" Part of the secondary application?

Reactions: 1 user
Wait I thought of the second question as a diversity question. Like which diverse experiences I could bring to the school to help it’s mission.

1 is on alignment with (Jesuit ideals) mission, specifically noting "excellence" within the learning community, advancing knowledge (research), and equitable care for all. Describe your anticipated roles and opportunities (why us).

2 is focused on your experiences serving or working with multicultural/diverse communities (diversity, equity, service orientation). Can tie to opportunities with the school if you did not mention it in 1.

For the Arrupe secondary application, can I repeat some stories I mention in the general MD questions again in the Arrupe specific secondary questions?

I am as well, and I cannot submit it without completing that page.
same here, can't submit as well....I emailed them this morning about it, ill update you on what they say once I get a response.

same here, can't submit as well....I emailed them this morning about it, ill update you on what they say once I get a response.
I emailed as well! I suspect we will not get a response until Monday, but I will also let you know if I hear anything back.

Would anyone think that applying to the omaha campus would be easier to get in? I'm also more interested in that city too.

• Hmm
Would anyone think that applying to the omaha campus would be easier to get in? I'm also more interested in that city too.
Our admissions is set up so that you do not gain an advantage by selecting one campus over another. You first apply for one of ~240 seats (between the two campuses), and if you get admitted, then you will be placed at your preferred location if there's a spot available, and if not, then you will be placed at the other campus.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Our admissions is set up so that you do not gain an advantage by selecting one campus over another. You first apply for one of ~240 seats (between the two campuses), and if you get admitted, then you will be placed at your preferred location if there's a spot available, and if not, then you will be placed at the other campus.
Do you feel it would be bad if I talked about my preference for a specific campus location in the first "why us" essay? The Phoenix location is one major reason I am choosing to apply to CUSOM, but don't want that to be a turn-off for ADCOMs (because I would also be willing to study in Omaha if I had to).

Do you feel it would be bad if I talked about my preference for a specific campus location in the first "why us" essay? The Phoenix location is one major reason I am choosing to apply to CUSOM, but don't want that to be a turn-off for ADCOMs (because I would also be willing to study in Omaha if I had to).
Didn't think about that perspective tbh. I wrote about my preference for phoenix campus.

It's probably fine because the odds that you'll get admitted to your preferred campus are really good.

Just getting around to writing this up. Does anyone have any info on what I should do to track down more information for the "Why Us" question? The MD section on their website seems really barren. Should I just use info from the rest of the website?

Just getting around to writing this up. Does anyone have any info on what I should do to track down more information for the "Why Us" question? The MD section on their website seems really barren. Should I just use info from the rest of the website?
I also noticed it was difficult to track down more information on their website. I would just make sure you click on the "More Links" option under their tabs, and you can find a little bit more info. Also whether you are applying to Phoenix or Omaha, click on those specific tabs to get specific info on the programs. Mission and Vision in Medicine. Best of luck!

I'm confused about the activities section - should it just predominantly be copy/paste from our AMCAS primary?

Hey everyone, M1 at the Phoenix campus here! Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I know I've only been an M1 for a few days now, but I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, so ask away. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone, M1 at the Phoenix campus here! Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I know I've only been an M1 for a few days now, but I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, so ask away. Good luck!
Wow, thank you so much. This is one of my top choices as a lot of my family is in Scottsdale. I would just love to hear your first impressions. Do people seem generally happy, does it seem organized, and anything else that you want to share about things like the classes and the schedule and so on. As well as maybe your classmates so far. Also, if you are at all in contact with one of the M2 or M3 folks, and could possibly point them over here, we would all be so grateful.

Did you receive any scholarships? Do a lot of people receive scholarships? Congrats on starting your first year :)
Thank you! Unfortunately, I did not receive any scholarships, even though I was a FAP recipient and SES disadvantaged. From what I understand, a lot of us WL folks just got loans in our financial aid package because they had ran out of scholarship money by the time most of us got accepted. But I have heard that if you don't get any scholarships the first time around, they may give you something down the line. Hope that answers your question.

Wow, thank you so much. This is one of my top choices as a lot of my family is in Scottsdale. I would just love to hear your first impressions. Do people seem generally happy, does it seem organized, and anything else that you want to share about things like the classes and the schedule and so on. As well as maybe your classmates so far. Also, if you are at all in contact with one of the M2 or M3 folks, and could possibly point them over here, we would all be so grateful.
So far, all the staff and faculty have been incredibly supportive, understanding, and kind. They know we're nervous, so they try to make the transition as easy as possible for us by giving us lots of pointers and pep talks to help boost our confidence. Everything is also super organized and a bunch of resources are made available to you from day one. The M2s also seemed very happy and excited to help us with the transition. Although I haven't met all of my classmates yet (there's 120 of us), the people I have met seem very nice.

The building itself is brand new and gorgeous, but can feel a little bit isolated from the rest of the university since it is a regional campus. For the most part, you'll have to be on campus 4-5 times a week, though not always for the full day (depends on whether you attend lecture in person or what group you're in for the other stuff). The only thing I'm personally not a huge fan of is the amount of CBL/TBL sessions we have, which can be anywhere from 2-4 times per week for two hours each. But other than that, I'm happy with my choice. Hope this helps!

Does anyone know when Creighton will start sending out interviews?