2011-2012 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree with DoctorFlower. I think in the past DO and MD programs have different methods of looking at the human body, but now the gap is getting smaller. Plus with DO, you can write the USMLEs and go into MD matching system in addition to the DO exams.

If you want to stay in Canada/USA, DO might be the way to go. Might be hard to match back as FMG from Duke-NUS with the US debt issue and cutting down graduate medicine training, that is after your 5 year bond's been completed.

But Duke-NUS also has its pros. With Singapore recruiting Duke faculties and strong International students, I do think that there would be strong biomedical innovation in the future (plus the country's quite good in training people) - manpower's their strongest resource.

Ultimately, you need to consider where you'd want to live, what you want to do with that MD/DO among other factors as well. Which DOs have you been accepted to ?

Members don't see this ad.

*crickets*

Everyday I die a little on the inside. Anyone?

Have they changed the admission process? I saw a post that they are waiting on the last applicants day before deciding the whole class.. then doesn't it mean that they are not doing the rolling based admission anymore?

Members don't see this ad :)
If lfyj is interviewing March 15th, I'm guessing we'd all be hearing back March 29th+ ... April then?

I have been wondering... could it be just us at sdn forum who weren't selected, that's why we're wondering whether they are taking so long? or did Duke-NUS specifically said they haven't offered any acceptances thus far other than the few that we know? I don't even know if there're many slots left, but I don't have a very good feeling about it. Sigh. Already making plans for the worse here.

I have been wondering... could it be just us at sdn forum who weren't selected, that's why we're wondering whether they are taking so long? or did Duke-NUS specifically said they haven't offered any acceptances thus far other than the few that we know? I don't even know if there're many slots left, but I don't have a very good feeling about it. Sigh. Already making plans for the worse here.

Hey sweetsecrets, are you from nus? Do you know how many they have accepted so far?

yup I am, doing my honours currently. I know of three thus far, all of them have at least a masters degree.

yup I am, doing my honours currently. I know of three thus far, all of them have at least a masters degree.

Hey stay positive man! They did tell us that the majority won't hear back till March/April. I know two of my friends got in in early April last year. Although I also think that make some backup plans is definitely necessary.:)

All my peers have already applied for pre-registration early in January. :( Although I have no plans to become a pharmacist I might have considered getting registered as one. Now it's a little too late for that though. So i'm still wondering what lies ahead for me after i graduate apart from keeping up with my annual ocips and going for another this May. That aside, I do have very limited options. I don't even dare to apply for internships cause if Duke-NUS gets back to me then I probably will be turning the internship offers down, if any. :X And yes, everyday i die a little on the inside too.

Hey man, why don't you try applying to the internships anyhow? No harm in doing those extra apps right? It's tough waiting, since there hasn't been any updates from the school whatsoever.

I don't know how pharmacy works in Singapore, what's pre-registration?

Are you referring to the pre-registration? Mm. all pharmacists in sg have to get their license first. Basically they work as pharmacists (but severely underpaid) for a year, under the supervision of other registered pharmacists. All the hospitals expect my peers to get back to them in days or even within a day after being offered to secure the slots! of course i couldn't have applied - i couldn't have signed any contracts anyway, not until i receive the rejection letter from Duke-NUS (if i would). But let's just say i've never thought of becoming a pharmacist, which explains my 2+ years membership here at sdn. Duke-NUS is like this long sorted-out option for me, ever since my application to NUS YLLSOM didn't work out for some reason (yet strangely, dentistry shortlisted me). i'm that crazy girl who retook my entire A's even though both NTU and NUS offered me courses, just because I only wanted medicine and they didn't accept retaking GP paper separately. But Pharmacy has given me so many opportunities and taught me very well, so it's not that i would look back upon this and regret. i'm really glad to have completed a degree in pharmacy. Well I think it's terribly unethical to apply for something and take up the space as my back-up (if i get it) and deprive others of their well-deserved chance when they, on the other hand, will drop everything else to go for it.

Besides, I'm looking at interning at Doctors without borders - an internship offer that I know they would be looking at candidates who really want it? And I fall short in that sense, and I know this myself.

Just wondering if any of you are making plans for re-applying to duke-nus? how are you guys going to work on your application? or is there any reapplicants here who would share with us? Because the application for early admissions for class of 2017 will be open very shortly. And I just don't know how else to improve on my portfolio anymore, especially in the short span of 3 months. I have been on countless missions (okay that's an exaggeration haha but i have led teams since the start of my tertiary education), published a research paper, tried all kinds of research, even had the opportunity to do animal research and perform surgeries on them, did 3 shadowing attachments and worked at a family clinic for 4 years already. The only thing i can think of is my MCAT, or just my luck in terms of meeting the right interviewers. :'( It's like, while i will be going for yet another ocip this May, and perhaps the possibility of publishing my honours project, i don't really think these will add value to my application anymore (which i heard is crucial especially for re-applicants) cause it's not really something new?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Just be patient. It's not over yet! I think you are a great applicant, and I think they don't bent two much on stat. How's your GPA like?

Almost a first class honours. haha. Almost is the word. :X a little jaded though, so i'm not really studying that much anymore. I might slip this semester or scrape by the first class honours mark.

All this waiting is so torturous.

Sweetsecrets, have you thought of applying to Australia as a backup to Duke-NUS?

Watch sweetsecrets (the one making all these elaborate alternate plans) be the only one who gets in, and the rest of us don't. omg lol.

And typing your name, is making me hungry, it's midnight here.

that's what everybody said the last time i retook my A's and got the grades, but in the end i wasn't even shortlisted. :X I had 7 referees this time round, but somehow i still feel really worried. And i have absolutely no plans, as of now, except maybe being a full-time tutor? haha. i need to eat and pay back my study loan. :(

All this waiting is so torturous.

Sweetsecrets, have you thought of applying to Australia as a backup to Duke-NUS?

I want an American medical degree, ever since the UK curriculum rejected me. Haha, just kidding. Hmm, but I do really prefer the American curriculum i guess? it's alot more hands-on, with different focus (less academia-related, unlike the sg education system). And i really enjoyed team-lead, cause i love talking and learning from my peers. And also, i cannot afford it elsewhere. I already owe the bank 30 grand for my pharmacy degree. :X And have been financing myself since i started my tertiary education... so flying overseas is definitely not the option - who's gonna pay my loans? :X interest is going to roll and it doesn't help that the bank keeps sending me statements now. :( and my parents... they'll be so sad. so yup, Duke-NUS is my one and only choice. otherwise, i'll feed on bread and pay back my loans. haha.

Last edited:
Watch sweetsecrets (the one making all these elaborate alternate plans) be the only one who gets in, and the rest of us don't. omg lol.

I was just talking to smurfedmcat the other day. And we both agreed how great it'd be if Duke-NUS knows about the existence of these forums, because we are such passionate applicants. It's like, we can feel it behind our computer screens. I'm sure all of us have our own strengths we should celebrate for. :)

Last edited:
If you're a proponent of the MD system, lots of the Australian schools are beginning to offer the MD as well. Many are actually in the process of transitioning into the graduate medicine. While some like U Tasmania and Adelaide are still on the undergrad MBBS, schools like Sydney, Melbourne and Flinders offer MDs. Then there's also UWA that has a graduate entry MBBS. (Lots of options there)

So I say, even if we don't get in, it's not the end of the world. (hope we don't have to face this ending though). I know a few friends who are going to the Carribean route, and might come out of med school with a 400,000 debt + accumulating interests. Financial burdens are the worst... :S (Real world problems like these are worse than school stress)..

haha. i really like the cakes at bakerzin. where are you situated at? :)

Canada : ) Went to pri sch in Singapore, and left before the PSLE ; )

Edit: Never tried Bakerzin. I recall there was an Angie cake house in Novena ? ... Blackforest cake to DIE FOR! Did it go bankrupt? what happened to it?? : ( And cool station :' (

So desperate time calls for desperate measures. I emailed Tammy. Got an autoresponse back, she is on maternity leave. Could this be why admissions been so quiet? : P

If you're a proponent of the MD system, lots of the Australian schools are beginning to offer the MD as well. Many are actually in the process of transitioning into the graduate medicine. While some like U Tasmania and Adelaide are still on the undergrad MBBS, schools like Sydney, Melbourne and Flinders offer MDs. Then there's also UWA that has a graduate entry MBBS. (Lots of options there)

So I say, even if we don't get in, it's not the end of the world. (hope we don't have to face this ending though). I know a few friends who are going to the Carribean route, and might come out of med school with a 400,000 debt + accumulating interests. Financial burdens are the worst... :S (Real world problems like these are worse than school stress)..

haha. yup definitely not the end. i trust that God has plans for me. but probably not overseas i guess, because there're just too many factors against it. I am aware that many are switching to the MD degree, but i'm not too sure if their culture and curriculum is really like that of the American's system? Or just maybe I watched too much of Grey's Anatomy. HAHAHA. Besides, I just really really like Duke-NUS. The school, the culture, and its location which is perfect for me. The last time I wanted a school this much was Hwa Chong Institution (of which i, unsurprisingly, failed to make it in). lol. hope this perks you guys up. :)

Canada : ) Went to pri sch in Singapore, and left before the PSLE ; )

Edit: Never tried Bakerzin. I recall there was an Angie cake house in Novena ? ... Blackforest cake to DIE FOR! Did it go bankrupt? what happened to it?? : ( And cool station :' (

I don't see Angie's anymore! :X OMG YOU SHOULD REALLY TRY BAKERZIN WHEN YOU COME HERE! (hopefully for Duke-NUS of course :p). I'm a member! HAHAHA. you can get the card from me and enjoy the perks. :)

Wow.. the thread is pretty active today! hmm.. don't think you should worry about the student loan for your pharmacy course that much.. most graduates will have to go through that.. and the study loan is just the start of your life into the real world.. soon after, you will have your DN study loan, housing loan, etc. your profile and achievements sounds impressive, i doubt you will be rejected. A pharmacist has good career prospects in singapore...

there's an angie in sembawang sun plaza.. 2 years back i recall.. not sure if it is still there now.. thought they were known for their durian cakes and puffs?

there's an angie in sembawang sun plaza.. 2 years back i recall.. not sure if it is still there now.. thought they were known for their durian cakes and puffs?

HAha idk how med school talk turned into cake talk. Not a fan of durians. Always got their blackforest cake growing up : )

yeah Sweetsecrets, your resume's so solid. Doubt that they'll reject you.

hey fj90, when did you emailed Tammy? did the autoreply say from when to when she is away?

Wow.. the thread is pretty active today! hmm.. don't think you should worry about the student loan for your pharmacy course that much.. most graduates will have to go through that.. and the study loan is just the start of your life into the real world.. soon after, you will have your DN study loan, housing loan, etc. your profile and achievements sounds impressive, i doubt you will be rejected. A pharmacist has good career prospects in singapore...

i hope. :x my interview didn't go very well. have i told you? :x yeah pharmacists have good career prospects, just that i guess it's not something i want to do cause it's not hands-on at all, but a knowledge-based career. haha. it's such a huge sum to me and probably because it's the first time. but yeah, soon all the other loans will kick in. ><

i hope. :x my interview didn't go very well. have i told you? :x yeah pharmacists have good career prospects, just that i guess it's not something i want to do cause it's not hands-on at all, but a knowledge-based career. haha. it's such a huge sum to me and probably because it's the first time. but yeah, soon all the other loans will kick in. ><

Haha its the way the scoiety welcome you to the real world.. the loan looks huge only because you haven't start working and repaying.. thru giro arrangements, you would hardly notice it, only have to repay 200 per mth and i think it is interest-free for 5 years.. so dun worry abt that.. yeah you shared your interview experience, but its difficult to gauge how the interviewer would have graded since we all have different interviewers and questions..

It'll be helpful to know if they already start to send rejections:x

hey fj90, when did you emailed Tammy? did the autoreply say from when to when she is away?

Nutsie, I emailed yesterday and got an automatic response back. Here's what it said:

"Hi, I'm currently on maternity leave and will attend to my email when I return.

For urgent issues, please contact I s h i t a Samtani at i s h i t [email protected] or 65168810.

Best,

Tammie"

No date whatsoever.

Edit: LMAO... Idk if anyone of you saw the original post. Sdn censored I s h i t a 's name....

Can we just ask info? Dr. Kamei told us Tammie was having a baby during my interview in nov.

It feels so good to see this blog come out of its deep slumber....I am also pretty concerned at the pace things are going at Duke-NUS...I haven't heard anything back from them since the acceptance mail and the MOH contract...unlike other schools where they keep in touch with the accepted students all the time....I completely agree with sweetsecrets...this forum clearly shows the spirit and enthusiasm and I believe this world will be really lucky to have physicians like you guys in the future...I wish you guys could come to Bangladesh and practice after getting your MD degree from med-school....trust me countries like ours really need such passionate physicians...I wish that you all get accepted at Duke -NUS and serve the world!!!

Last edited:
I got my rejection today. It was sent by snail mail and dated back to Feb. 24. I am really sad because they did not even wait for my Jan. Mcat to come out...

hey doctorflower, don't give up hope yet. early admissions is going to be open again soon and with your new mcat scores now i'm sure they'll look at your entire portfolio again. i think this year would really be a tough fight. :(

I really do not go to graduate school actually...sweetsecrets, do you know if there's any research job opportunities for foreigners in Singapore?

yes i think i do. GSK took some john hopkins undergraduates as well as ucal undergraduates the last time i did my summer internship there. so i think they would extend to foreigners. where are you situated in and what's your background degree?

OH WAIT! Duke-NUS offers research opportunities!!! I think i still have the contact sheet, they gave out only to those who asked during open-house.

Hey sweetsecrets, I kinda think that I cannot improve my application by that much given only several months right? Is Duke-Nus offering any research opportunities?

you can give it a try! why don't you give me your email address and I can scan and send it to you hopefully by saturday?

surely, even as an observer for the research project, you will pick up useful learning points and learn from there, and in fact that further demonstrates your interest in research. :)

Do you have ample research experience already? if it is, maybe try something else? i don't know your stats, so i can't really gauge. you mind sharing with me?

Hey sweetscrets, I don't know if they have any problem with my research. I did two summer research programs here in the US, and am doing my honor research right now. I also have a 3.8 GPA. So I really don't know what's wrong here....Maybe the competition this year is really really fierce...Still very sad here...

haha. i replied to your PM! hmm, i think your stats are amazing too, and i got your previous MCAT score, for which i didn't retake. :X well maybe you should try volunteering non-medically. As in volunteer to serve in the less developed countries for eg? it's quite distinct from voluntary shadowing(medical) attachments. maybe that might help, at least that's what i think. you can check out http://www.projects-abroad.org/. i'm sure even their medical projects are quite different from the voluntary ones you did because it is that in a less developed country.