2011-2012 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
probably because they have "cash money"....

Members don't see this ad.

Dear troll,

Please leave.

Yours truly.

Smurfedmcat,

I think the main difference is that Duke-NUS is a different university than Duke itself, while Weil Cornell in Qatar is simply a satellite campus for the Weill Cornell Medical College.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey doctorflower, you may want to try the threads of previous years' admissions.

any news, comrades?

yeah but i got a feeling the interview matters too. x.x it's already mid-march! oh man this wait is really torturous.

it's really nice to have you still being so active in this thread with us. :D sigh. i don't know if it's because it's the last semester and/or that i am really depending on duke-NUS to take me, but i have no stamina to study and bury in my books anymore. >< instead i come here every once in awhile just to leave a note or two. HAHA.

isn't there an interview tomorrow? maybe those attending the interview can find out how many acceptances have there been to date. hope tmr is the last interview and we will be notify of the outcomes in late Mar!!

this wait is so distressing....i feel like i am getting ocd from constantly checking my emails and visiting this forum...lol

Hi Sweetsecrets, I am also an applicant for this year's Duke-NUS intake. Had my interview on the 6th Dec, but has yet to receive any reply from them... After looking through what you have gone through and done for your pursuit for Medicine, I really think that you will stay a good chance of getting in. Just curious, how do you feel about your interview with the school ?

Members don't see this ad :)
welcome to our humble abode, and our wall of stress / ocd : )

Hi Sweetsecrets, I am also an applicant for this year's Duke-NUS intake. Had my interview on the 6th Dec, but has yet to receive any reply from them... After looking through what you have gone through and done for your pursuit for Medicine, I really think that you will stay a good chance of getting in. Just curious, how do you feel about your interview with the school ?

i got grilled for my interview. i prepared 150 interview questions. none came out, not even "why medicine?". My first interview was nice. (I hope so, even though he was sitting with me during lunch and i was too stressed out therefore very obviously not really concentrating on what he said so he's more like interacting with the rest seated on the same table as me). My second interview was by an adjunct professor i heard. as much as he didn't prepare many qns for me, i didnt have many questions in my mind to ask him (he asked me twice if i had any questions). for 20 minutes i was told to apply elsewhere if duke-NUS fails to take me. that feeling was really horrible. :( so basically he was laying down all the options for me. so really, it's nothing spectacular. i'm not very hopeful. worried, actually.

Hey sweetsecrets, since you are in Singapore, you know there will be a new medical school next year right? It's a MBBS program but you can probably apply as a college graduate? I know medical schools in HK do take college graduates to the MBBS programs.

Hey sweetsecrets, since you are in Singapore, you know there will be a new medical school next year right? It's a MBBS program but you can probably apply as a college graduate? I know medical schools in HK do take college graduates to the MBBS programs.

hmm i'd want an MD degree i guess, so i rather reapply for duke-NUS? :X

If your intention is to help patients, I personally don't think it matters if your qualification is MBBS or MD right? Either is equally qualified IMHO.

i got grilled for my interview. i prepared 150 interview questions. none came out, not even "why medicine?". My first interview was nice. (I hope so, even though he was sitting with me during lunch and i was too stressed out therefore very obviously not really concentrating on what he said so he's more like interacting with the rest seated on the same table as me). My second interview was by an adjunct professor i heard. as much as he didn't prepare many qns for me, i didnt have many questions in my mind to ask him (he asked me twice if i had any questions). for 20 minutes i was told to apply elsewhere if duke-NUS fails to take me. that feeling was really horrible. :( so basically he was laying down all the options for me. so really, it's nothing spectacular. i'm not very hopeful. worried, actually.

Hi sweetsecrets,
I guess things are not as bad as what you think. I guess the 2nd interviewer is just trying to share with you his thoughts on the other alternatives that you can consider. Coincidentally, I had session with my 2nd interviewer too, but the difference was that I was the one who spoke to him about it.
In addition, I feel that perhaps securing a job or internship after your honors may not be that bad after all. Just like what u said earlier, we are in serious debt the moment we graduate. In the event where you receive th acceptance from duke-NUS, u can always turn down the offer from the employers. To be fair to your employers, it will be good if you can inform them about your plans of further studying. At least when they hire you, they are aware of your plans. With this, at least you will have an income while preparing for next year's admission if this year's application didn't work out.
Cheers and all the best !

Hi sweetsecrets,
I guess things are not as bad as what you think. I guess the 2nd interviewer is just trying to share with you his thoughts on the other alternatives that you can consider. Coincidentally, I had session with my 2nd interviewer too, but the difference was that I was the one who spoke to him about it.
In addition, I feel that perhaps securing a job or internship after your honors may not be that bad after all. Just like what u said earlier, we are in serious debt the moment we graduate. In the event where you receive th acceptance from duke-NUS, u can always turn down the offer from the employers. To be fair to your employers, it will be good if you can inform them about your plans of further studying. At least when they hire you, they are aware of your plans. With this, at least you will have an income while preparing for next year's admission if this year's application didn't work out.
Cheers and all the best !

I can't apply for my pre-reg cause they require me to sign a contract... So there's no such thing as turning down the offer later. :(

If your intention is to help patients, I personally don't think it matters if your qualification is MBBS or MD right? Either is equally qualified IMHO.

I can't afford to go overseas. I personally do not want to go to yllsom, cause of the culture and the (majority) nature of the people there. Imho, I think they (not all again, but most) are too young and made the decision too soon, some even just for the prestige and money (though they're obviously wrong in this sense). It's like those who do well for their A'levels just apply to the top 3 faculties - law, medicine and dentistry. Few of them really really want it? I can't speak for ntu medical school cause I don't know anyone there yet and the school is not up to begin with. But personally I want to go to a school at which I think I'll enjoy learning, because I believe you'll learn a lot more then. Of course qualifications doesn't matter if I truly want to help patients, but I want to be a good doctor, not just any doctor. The school and the curriculum matters - some of us learn better in certain styles. And I feel the webcast learning, and team-lead sessions is more for me I guess? Plus, I am sure we can sense the level of maturity of all the applicants, the kind of passion - something you wouldn't see in an undergraduate medical school. Because those who truly want to pursue an MD, put into studying for an extra 4 years, the opportunity cost of which could have allowed them to go very far if they settled for another occupation. And I guess a part of me want to learn from you guys as well. It isn't about just graduating and becoming a doctor. It's also things about life I learn along the way.

Last edited:
I can't afford to go overseas. I personally do not want to go to yllsom, cause of the culture and the (majority) nature of the people there. Imho, I think they (not all again, but most) are too young and made the decision too soon, some even just for the prestige and money (though they're obviously wrong in this sense). It's like those who do well for their A'levels just apply to the top 3 faculties - law, medicine and dentistry. Few of them really really want it? I can't speak for ntu medical school cause I don't know anyone there yet and the school is not up to begin with. But personally I want to go to a school at which I think I'll enjoy learning, because I believe you'll learn a lot more then. Of course qualifications doesn't matter if I truly want to help patients, but I want to be a good doctor, not just any doctor. The school and the curriculum matters - some of us learn better in certain styles. And I feel the webcast learning, and team-lead sessions is more for me I guess? Plus, I am sure we can sense the level of maturity of all the applicants, the kind of passion - something you wouldn't see in an undergraduate medical school. Because those who truly want to pursue an MD, put into studying for an extra 4 years, the opportunity cost of which could have allowed them to go very far if they settled for another occupation. And I guess a part of me want to learn from you guys as well. It isn't about just graduating and becoming a doctor. It's also things about life I learn along the way.

And because of these, I'm a strong advocate of post-grad medical schools. I always tell my students, if you really want medicine, take time to decide. 18 is way too young to sign yourself to the industry when you barely had any shadowing experience, or know enough as to whether you can watch death, whether you can eat after seeing a torn face. I share my experience of what I did in my undergrad years, something I didn't choose to. Truth is I did apply to undergrad medical school, but somehow it was a blessing in disguise that the system didn't shortlist me. And I look back now with no regrets, only with a stronger determination cause I know this is what I really want to do, having explored everything else, met death, met patients, met both good and bad doctors.

May I know how many ppl have yet to hear from duke nus?

I can't apply for my pre-reg cause they require me to sign a contract... So there's no such thing as turning down the offer later. :(

I see. Sorry didn't know about that. Guess then u might really have to wait till your outcome from duke-NUS is finalized before you can take your next step. By the way, Are you doing teaching while doing your Fyp too ?

I see. Sorry didn't know about that. Guess then u might really have to wait till your outcome from duke-NUS is finalized before you can take your next step. By the way, Are you doing teaching while doing your Fyp too ?

haha. i've been working and studying. :) i work part-time at the clinic, and teach chemistry. :) yup. doing FYP. it's finally ending! :D

Have you tried calling admissions to ask them about your status?

no I didn't. a couple of us here had called them up and they have shared the replies. I think they are actively reviewing, and so I wait patiently. haha.

i'm very tempted to email them, but i have a feeling i will just get the same "active review" reply others have gotten

I think let's just be happy with the fact that we are still on the list for acceptance. There's still hope !

Hey all, I just had my Applicants' Day yesterday. I don't have a very good feeling about how many places we have left. They said something like...We don't want to give you a feeling of why we called you here for the Applicants' Day when there are not a lot of places left...I was like :eek:... Not the exact words... but I kind of get the vibes.

Sigh...whatever the wait is, let's just hope that at the end of the day, we DO get the Acceptance letter.

Hey all, I just had my Applicants' Day yesterday. I don't have a very good feeling about how many places we have left. They said something like...We don't want to give you a feeling of why we called you here for the Applicants' Day when there are not a lot of places left...I was like :eek:... Not the exact words... but I kind of get the vibes.

Sigh...whatever the wait is, let's just hope that at the end of the day, we DO get the Acceptance letter.

Hi medtopia, did they mention when would the last acceptance be sent out? In Apr? Any mention of how many rejections have been made to date? How many interviewees were there ytd and was ytd the last round of interview? I think we are all curious to know..

2 words: Aw crap

Hey lfyj, u were at the interview ytd too? how was it?

Hi medtopia, did they mention when would the last acceptance be sent out? In Apr? Any mention of how many rejections have been made to date? How many interviewees were there ytd and was ytd the last round of interview? I think we are all curious to know..

13 interviewees and tentatively the last round of interview. I don't think there will be anymore interviews though cos it's already March. Acceptance might be sent out until May, but places are almost filled up. May I know how many of you guys have not receive any replies?

I guess all of us here have not heard back from the school, i m just curious, if there aren't many spots left, shdn't we have heard back by now? so far there has only been 4 acceptances back in nov and dec, and only 1 rejections posted..

Hey lfyj, u were at the interview ytd too? how was it?

Well, the questions were out of the box but other than that, I think I did okay. Competitors were strong too so I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get accepted.

wad sort of out of the box questions? hope for the best.. shdn't be long now

Whether we get accepted or not, let's persevere in our pursuit for medicine, and may the doors of medicine remain open for us in one way or another!!

i have a feeling there are many accepted who are just not on this forum or posting anything

i have a feeling there are many accepted who are just not on this forum or posting anything

But didn't they reply to say that this year it's non-rolling admission and they're still waiting for applicants? But then all the places are almost filled? so contradictory. X.X

But didn't they reply to say that this year it's non-rolling admission and they're still waiting for applicants? But then all the places are almost filled? so contradictory. X.X

?? They said that it's rolling basis admission.

i hope this delay is just because of some administrative issue

if you are one of the accepted applicants, please let the rest of us know! so we have an idea of our chances...

Nothing of that mentioned. All lips were sealed. We were just told to wait for 1 to 1 1/2 months thereabout for the outcome. I supposed in that case, the whole admission cycle could very well be stretched till late May or June even, for waitlisters. They said no plans for any more Applicants' Day YET. It depends on the slots left. :confused:

I would have the same sentiment as you. I personally know of 2 that have been accepted into Duke-NUS for this admission cycle and I think they are not on this forum. Either they don't patronize this forum or they stop patronizing after they got accepted.

heyy, I feel bad reading this forum and not posting anything but anyway, I applied for early admission and got accepted early october... I'm finishing my honours this semester so for those who are worried that they don't have a masters, there's hope still :) don't worry too much, what will happen will happen.

heyy, I feel bad reading this forum and not posting anything but anyway, I applied for early admission and got accepted early october... I'm finishing my honours this semester so for those who are worried that they don't have a masters, there's hope still :) don't worry too much, what will happen will happen.

hey, are you from a local university? what are your stats like? :)