2011-2012 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how far through the admissions process FSU is? Are they still offering interview invites?

Members don't see this ad.

They usually offer interviews for a while. It depends on how many people accept their offers though.

I withdrew from my interview, so hopefully one of you gets a chance. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know any recent figures as to how many acceptances have been offered? I got put on hold after my interview, and was curious to see if there was generally any movement from the hold list.

Hold list tends to not see much movement until interviews are done, unless you have some outstanding update such as an improved MCAT or great fall semester grades to report.

Interviewed last Friday. Tally is great :) Unfortunately, didn't get to stop by Canopy Road :(

I much prefer bada bean to canopy road. I was underwhelmed whenever I went to canopy road. So, no frownie face needed.

Oh, and hope the interview went well.

To anyone that interviewed 1/6...Dr. Patrick said in his discussion with us that we should receive our admissions decision as early as tomorrow, right??

To anyone that interviewed prior to 1/6 and has received their decision...did you find out on the Tuesday that the final review was made?

Thanks!

Earliest you will find out is Wednesday sometime because the committee meets on Tuesday evening. However, according to the forum, it seems that some folks may not find out until Thursday.

Best of luck! This place is awesome!

Earliest you will find out is Wednesday sometime because the committee meets on Tuesday evening. However, according to the forum, it seems that some folks may not find out until Thursday.

Best of luck! This place is awesome!

Thanks for the information. Guess I'll just be waiting patiently (read: anxiously) for a couple more days!

Just got the acceptance email!!! Good luck to all others waiting for news from FSU today!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten accepted off the Hold category yet??? Thanks!

Hearing from FSU on Wednesday!! After being waitlisted last year, I'm certainly hoping it's good news!

3.809 GPA (above 3.8 BCMP GPA), 32O MCAT, in state, lots of extracurricular, no love from FSU. I would love an interview please =).

Hopefully hearing tomorrow if I get accepted or not! ahhh!!! :xf:

Do those of you who were accepted know whether it's a phone call or an email or both? getting super anxious hahaha good luck to anyone else waiting to hear back tomorrow!!!

Hopefully hearing tomorrow if I get accepted or not! ahhh!!! :xf:

Do those of you who were accepted know whether it's a phone call or an email or both? getting super anxious hahaha good luck to anyone else waiting to hear back tomorrow!!!

E-mail and change of status on applicant website! Some people happen to see the change of status before they receive the e-mail. Don't start stressing until late in the day, though Changer. In my experience, my acceptance e-mail could not have been the first thing they accomplished in their day. Received it in the early afternoon... Best of luck!

Wooooooot! Accepted! Received the email from Dana about 40 min ago! Hurray for FSU Med!

3.809 GPA (above 3.8 BCMP GPA), 32O MCAT, in state, lots of extracurricular, no love from FSU. I would love an interview please =).

Yikes... if he doesnt get an interview.... ugh oh haha:scared:

Thanks for your input everyone it really did help!!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I am going to just go ahead and give my stats and situation and try to get a feel from everyone as to what my chances are. I have a 26 MCAT, 3.2sGPA 3.55 overall GPA. Florida Resident. Lots of volunteer experience. Currently enrolled in a DO program out of state.... what do you think? .... I truly want to return to Florida more than I can describe, I now realize just how important it is for me to be back home... I graduated from UF and spent my first 2 years at FSU.

Why would you leave your DO program? Unless you are a URM, your chances are poor. Come back to FL for residency.

Hey everyone! I am going to just go ahead and give my stats and situation and try to get a feel from everyone as to what my chances are. I have a 26 MCAT, 3.2sGPA 3.55 overall GPA. Florida Resident. Lots of volunteer experience. Currently enrolled in a DO program out of state.... what do you think? .... I truly want to return to Florida more than I can describe, I now realize just how important it is for me to be back home... I graduated from UF and spent my first 2 years at FSU.

Ummm that's a big no-no unless you have a serious family considerations because med schools will strongly frown upon you applying to their school when you're already in med school. I would either seek to transfer to Nova or LECOM-B or simply just wait until residency (luckily there are plenty of residency opps for DOs in Florida). Plus your stats are on the low side for FSU making it even more unlikely.

While your stats are a bit low. You CAN leave the DO school if that is your choice if you got accepted into MD school. I know someone that did what you just mention. That person didnt like the DO school for many reasons ($$$$$ was one of them), reapplied and got into state MD school. but with your stats it might be hard to do it right away.

Hearing from FSU on Wednesday!! After being waitlisted last year, I'm certainly hoping it's good news!

hey, congrats! i remember seeing your name on the FIU thread (i think we were both alternate listed at the same time). glad we both got better results from FSU.

hey, congrats! i remember seeing your name on the FIU thread (i think we were both alternate listed at the same time). glad we both got better results from FSU.

Haha thanks man and congrats to you too! FIU doesn't know what it's missing out on!

E-mail and change of status on applicant website! Some people happen to see the change of status before they receive the e-mail. Don't start stressing until late in the day, though Changer. In my experience, my acceptance e-mail could not have been the first thing they accomplished in their day. Received it in the early afternoon... Best of luck!

I guess they stop calling people with acceptance anymore. I got a phone call from Dana, it was the best phone call ever!!!

When do we hear back regarding scholarships?

Interviewed at FSU on 1/23 and anxiously awaiting to hear if I get accepted or not. The wait is killing me especially since FSU is my #1 choice!! :xf:

Does anybody know if interview invitations are still being offered? Thanks.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

I know some people got interview invites this morning...so there is still hope! I think they were complete mid/late October.

I got my interview invite in the first week of April last year and while I was wait-listed and didn't get in there was at least one person from the final interview day that did get in. Send an update if you have something to show them and keep your hopes up! There's A TON of time left for FSU!

ACCEPTED!!! Beyond ecstatic and WILL be attending FSU!! :D:D:D

For anyone wondering, b/c I know I was a lurker too, I was complete early November and got the II on 1/18.

Congrats! Did you send in any updates? I'll be working on those today.
For anyone wondering, b/c I know I was a lurker too, I was complete early November and got the II on 1/18.

I didn't send any updates, but I was going to in early February if I didn't hear anything. So, I'd think now is a good time to do so.

I have been "under review" since 9/1, and haven't heard a thing yet. Does anyone know if FSU welcomes update/interest letters? Have they rejected anyone pre interview?

Would be nice to get some feedback. Thanks

I have been "under review" since 9/1, and haven't heard a thing yet. Does anyone know if FSU welcomes update/interest letters? Have they rejected anyone pre interview?

Would be nice to get some feedback. Thanks

Yes they do welcome update/interest letters. I think one I sent last year got me my interview. But make sure you have important things to say!

And I don't know but I doubt they have rejected anyone pre-interview.

They have rejected pre-interview in some outlier situations. I get the impression that they prefer to keep people in the cycle and keep going through all the apps for a while. Some schools have an "interview waitlist" where you aren't bad enough to reject but they often wait for updates or hold off and check out other applicants for a bit. I don't know how FSU does it for sure, so I don't want to say that is how it is but I do know people who were rejected pre-interview when I applied.

Anyway, congrats to all the new acceptances.

An Update letter does not hurt. I sent one in around this time when I applied!!

So if you didnt hear anything yet. Send them an update letter.
It might help!!

Well i have been viewing posts for the last few weeks now and i would like to ask a question. Has anyone here interviewed at any schools outside of Florida? Or if anyone has interviewed at either UF or USF, how would you compare them to FSU?

I am curious as to the substance of the school interviews as it seems students are quite happy with each of the schools. Thank you for your time

Well i have been viewing posts for the last few weeks now and i would like to ask a question. Has anyone here interviewed at any schools outside of Florida? Or if anyone has interviewed at either UF or USF, how would you compare them to FSU?

I am curious as to the substance of the school interviews as it seems students are quite happy with each of the schools. Thank you for your time

I haven't interviewed at UF or USF, but I did interview at Tufts (OOS in Boston).

I have to say the atmosphere is MUCH friendlier at FSU. The student body seems much happier and much more relaxed (maybe a northern vs southern thing?) and the facilities are MUCH nicer (probably because they're newer). It's not a knock on Tufts, because I personally love tufts and would love to go there, but they didn't give the interviewees a chance to meet the med students in a more relaxed way.

Tufts did have a really nice Clinical Simulation Center and I can vouch that the professors, curriculum and exams are amazing. Also, the adcom is super friendly and very welcoming. I just wish they gave more first years the opportunity to meet with us for a longer period of time like FSU did. All in all, I feel like FSU is a very welcoming place, the adcom is really nice, the students are really relaxed and genuinely happy and the building is super nice.

I have not interviewed at UF, but can compare USF and FSU. USF has more research opportunities than FSU, and the anatomy lab is more technologically-advanced at USF. Also, FSU has satellite campuses, while USF does not (this is a positive or negative depending on how you feel about the concept). Aside from the scholarly concentrations that students can do at USF, I see no other major differences. Both student bodies seemed equally friendly. Hope this helps. :luck:

Hey dr shazam what made you decide to withdraw from FSU?

When do we hear back regarding scholarships?

If you received an acceptance, you won't hear much about scholarships until after summer term starts. You'll apply for merit & mission based scholarships in the summer through a FSU COM-only scholarship database. They like to spread the money around as much as possible, with usually everyone receiving some sort of financial aid that doesn't have a parent, family member or spouse paying for their schooling. It is very rare for FSU COM to give out pre-matriculation scholarship offers except in extreme circumstances from what I know.

I am a first year at FSU, but I interviewed at UF & USF. I will share some of my experiences and perspective on my own personal decision making process.

USF
USF is a good school. They have an integrated curriculum that is relatively innovative with a system-based approach. A number of schools are moving more toward this model and away from the subject-based curriculums (FSU is an example. Our 2nd semester 2nd year is already systems based, and we are thinking about moving toward a more universally integrated curriculum over the next few years). I personally think the system-based approach is specifically geared toward prepping for boards, but I have no evidence to back this up :laugh: (oh EBM, how I love you). Anyways, they have good clinical rotations at some big hospitals in Tampa (TGH & The VA) that have some pretty good residency programs. Now for why I didn't like the school: The application was horrible. I felt like I was applying to Harvard for as much research as I did; just for the application mind you. Also, had some VERY unpleasant interactions with one of the admission personnel (and no, names will not be named). I try not to spread unsubstantiated rumors, but I have information from reliable sources regarding infighting in their administration. Whether this effects the students or not, I can't comment. Also didn't like the facilities there much. Library was old, outdated and had almost no individual study space. I got the feeling from talking with the students that there wasn't much camaraderie in the student body, with most commuting and living far from campus. Lectures were recorded, so it allowed students to basically do their own thing and rarely come to school if they so chose. Not personally for me. I don't love mandatory lectures, but I want to be compelled to come to school more often than not as I hate sitting around the house all day.

UF
UF is also a good school. They have a very strong research and graduate medical education (residency) directed curriculum. I am a UF undergrad and will always be a gator at heart; (sorry to the rest of my classmates reading this :D, I still love you). They have a mostly subject-based curriculum, but like USF they do their clinicals at strong hospitals, namely Shands, which has many excellent residency programs. Now why didn't I like it you ask? Their building is very outdated. The med students are cruising around in the bowels of the health science building for much of the first years with some lectures above ground thankfully haha. Also didn't feel the administration does a great job fostering a strong student body; although I think that is improving greatly with the new Dean. But my interview day there was horrible. Had 2 interviews back to back that were half-a-mile from each other (yes I said half-a-mile, that's 2,640 feet, roughly :laugh:). I walked out in the hot FL sun in a three-piece suit and was sopping in sweat before the day was out (not my best moment). I pointed out the...oversight in scheduling to the admissions director. She apologized and said she would warn my second interviewer I might be late, which didn't happen. Spent the first 15 minutes apologizing to the PhD for tardiness and the next 40 being grilled about my 3 months of bench-research which I had done one summer to try it out (hated it lol). Additionally, and in my opinion only of course, their admissions crew goes after a very specific "type" of student; booky with lots of research. This is not a universal norm of course, and I would also definitely classify myself as a booky nerd, but I didn't want to be around a bunch carbon copies of myself for the next 4 years.

FSU
Obviously, great school :). Was blown away by the facilities and student body at my interview. I loved the good natured spirit of the students, from my interview there and my communication with a good friend, whom was a 4th year at the time. What were my reservations? I was not sure about the "Rural medicine, primary care" mission they pushed. I didn't know what I wanted to do at the time, and I am still not sure to this day, so I didn't want to be pigeon-holed into anything. But when I looked at the match list, they had matched people into Derm, plastics, gen surg, ortho, pretty much into everything. So I knew my opportunities were not going to be limited by going here. The administration is amazing. We complained about the business at the campus gym during peak hours, we got a gym on the 4th floor. We complained about not enough study space, we got 15 new individual study rooms on the 4th. We complained about how a portion of our doctoring course was being handled, or how we wanted grades immediately after the examinations or how we wanted recorded lectures that were downloadable; changed, changed and changed. They are looking out for our best interests at FSU and do pretty much everything in their power to help us succeed. Regional campuses are unique because they are done a lot more one-on-one between you and the attending. No residents or interns, to compete or contend with. Gives you the opportunity for early autonomy in training. Our graduates are routinely lauded for their maturity and adeptness with patients during exams and procedures. I'm only a first year and I feel comfortable performing a full history and physical on a real patient if called to (which I recently was in community preceptorship). Just to give you a fair balance of good and bad, it is true we don't have a teaching hospital here. That means no "home" program for residency, which can be a boon in certain specialties. Also, can be more difficult to find clinical research because of this (hasn't stopped me though, already have a research project lined up for the summer). No associated teaching hospital means it can be harder to find shadowing opportunities (again, hasn't stopped me from shadowing different specialties). Some things here can be more difficult to attain, but if you are dedicated and resourceful it can be done.

Well anyways, that was a mouthful, but I was bored and didn't want to hit the books quite yet. Hoped this helped. Please PM with any other comments or concerns, as I don't check this thread as routinely as I would like. If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would still choose FSU over ANY other FL school (I interviewed at all of them just to give you some insight on my perspective).

I know this is probably too early to think about, but is it realistic to seek a neurosurgery residency while at FSU COM? Will the school's focus of primary care and rural health hinder me - either directly or indirectly - from matching into neurosurgical residency?

Given that my major motivation for a career in medicine was my mother's diagnosis with a brain tumor, I would like to make sure that FSU can get me as high as I can. I have also done research on neuroscience as an undergrad, and would love to continue on this research field clinically as a medical student. Browsing through the school' match lists, however, I couldn't find anyone who matched into this field. I am also not sure if I can do clinical research related to neurosurgery at FSU.

Also, with everything else being equal (like Step 1, grades, LOR's, EC's), will going to UCF better my chances of landing a neurosurgery residency? I have also been accepted there, and I am still having a really hard time making a decision. My family (mother and younger brother) lives here in Tallahassee, and I am quite hesitant to leave them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.