2011-2012 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dana told me second or third week of May...so hopefully soon! (That's what I am hoping for!)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know a clear date on when we should be notified about bridge acceptances? They say the end of May but I've been told by current students they get notice about acceptance into the program about mid-May.

Dana told me second or third week of May...so hopefully soon! (That's what I am hoping for!)

Mrs. Urrutia said just moments ago "The Bridge Committee is meeting today and offers to that program should go out tomorrow."

:xf::luck::love::D:eek::thumbup: to everyone still waiting to hear!!! I love this school so so so so so much!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mrs. Urrutia said just moments ago "The Bridge Committee is meeting today and offers to that program should go out tomorrow."

:xf::luck::love::D:eek::thumbup: to everyone still waiting to hear!!! I love this school so so so so so much!!!
Yesterday FSU sent a Rejection letter. They were the last one we were waiting to hear back from.
Third cycle coming up.
Leader 813 I read your blog and I like it. I pray that those who are still waiting to hear their results will get good news.

I haven't gotten any word yet, but I'm holding out for Bridge Program. Does anybody know roughly how many students are being considered for it?

Is fsu's bridge program the only bridge/SMP program you guys are waiting to hear back from? Anyone got accepted to USF IMS already?

Is fsu's bridge program the only bridge/SMP program you guys are waiting to hear back from? Anyone got accepted to USF IMS already?

my friend got accepted to that program 2 days ago (USF)

I haven't gotten any word yet, but I'm holding out for Bridge Program. Does anybody know roughly how many students are being considered for it?
FSU has the class profile for the Bridge students on their web site. There are currently 12 students in the program. They have pictures and information. All the currents students are either Black or Hispanic.
Most of them are FSU graduates. Many of them graduated with Honors. A few are immigrants. I have a hunch that selection might be based more on MCAT then grades.

In the past FSU apparently had a Masters in Biomedical Science that was open to everyone.
My Cardiologist has a Masters in Biomedical Science from FSU but he attended Medical School at Nova Southeastern and then did his residency at Johns Hopkins. I think it would be wonderful if they did have open admissions.

About how many of the 12 are matriculating into medical school this year ?

About how many of the 12 are matriculating into medical school this year ?

From my understanding (anyone that knows for sure, feel free to chime in and correct me), everyone that successfully passes the Bridge Program transitions into FSU COM as an MS1. I think you're essentially guaranteed a spot as an FSU COM MS1 one year after you begin the Bridge Program, assuming that you complete the program successfully. I guess technically Bridge students could decline their spot and apply elsewhere, but who is going to pass up a guaranteed spot at a great medical school ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yesterday FSU sent a Rejection letter. They were the last one we were waiting to hear back from.
Third cycle coming up.
Leader 813 I read your blog and I like it. I pray that those who are still waiting to hear their results will get good news.

I'm sorry to hear that! Are the rejection letters sent via e-mail or regular mail? Also can you see a status change on the application status page?

where are you seeing that?
Go on FSU's Medical Schools web site and then Google Class profile. Then click on Bridge class.
I have looked at the Bridge for over several years and it has always been a very small class.
Or you click on the Currents student link and then look at Student Profiles.

I'm sorry to hear that! Are the rejection letters sent via e-mail or regular mail? Also can you see a status change on the application status page?
He got it via e-mail. I looked at his application status page and all it says is review complete.

Hey oldbat when did he interview?[/QUOTE
BTW I found the letter rather strange. All the other schools said we cannot offer you an interview. This one says we cannot offer you a position in the class.
Isn't an interview part of determining whether if or not you will offer someone a position in the class.

Last edited:
I think you're reading into it too much. What is your son doing differently for next cycle?

I think you're reading into it too much. What is your son doing differently for next cycle?
You may be right I might be.
Take a few more upper level science classes, volunteer in a none medical field, and retake the MCAT.
His score is good 33, but expires for U of F.

Have you been accepted.

Take a few more upper level science classes, volunteer in a none medical field, and retake the MCAT.

Have you been accepted.

Does he have shadowing? I sense that his MCAT is not the problem.

I will be matriculating at FSU. It was my top choice.

Thank you!!! It means a lot to me that you took that time out :love:

Have you had your son talk with admissions directors or someone affiliated with the admissions process? That would be a good thing to do so that they can review his application and identify any weaknesses. I'm not sure its the academics that are holding him back. Perhaps its his activities and the way he represents them on his application - this was pointed out to me when I had people review my application and CV...

I wish you all the best. Going through this process is not a walk in the park and I commend you for taking a 3rd stab at it!!:thumbup:

Have you been accepted.

Hey oldbat when did he interview?[/QUOTE
BTW I found the letter rather strange. All the other schools said we cannot offer you an interview. This one says we cannot offer you a position in the class.
Isn't an interview part of determining whether if or not you will offer someone a position in the class.

I have been around FSU for a long time, I have a few things to offer.

1) It is not his MCAT holding him back, unless FSU is a backup school for him & he's looking to go out of state. That said, FSU doesn't like being a backup for otherwise qualified applicants. They will sense this in his application.

2) Is your son on SDN? If not, why? You can't attend medical school for him. He needs to be spearheading this application and doing all of the relevant research. It does him no good for you to be the seasoned SDN browser. I read hundreds of threads, old & new, throughout the course of my application. It really does help, and adds to conversation if/when that interview comes.

3) FSU receives between 3000 and 4000 applications every year. There are simply not enough hours in the day to offer every single one of them an interview. This is where silent rejections come into play.

4) FSU NEEDS to know that applicants want to fulfill their mission and ideal student body. One way to show this is to apply EDP (that's what I did). He needs to know the mission & vision inside out. They need to be felt in his personal statement and characterized by his extracurriculars.

Good luck!

Since you have some insight on FSU, do you have a rough idea how many they accept from the hold list? Much appreciated.

Since you have some insight on FSU, do you have a rough idea how many they accept from the hold list? Much appreciated.

I've heard it varies greatly year to year. Last year they apparently filled the class very fast early in the application cycle, resulting in less waitlist movement. It really depends on the individuals withdrawing for whatever reason. Mid-April was the cutoff for people holding multiple acceptances to choose one (assuming they obey the AAMC Traffic Rules in a timely manner).

As I understand the AAMC traffic rules, a person holding multiple acceptances has at most two weeks. So I'd imagine one would hear about hold list status any day now.

I also heard from the admissions office that hold list acceptances would take place in May. I just was curious if anyone had heard anything else.

To each of you who offered advice and well wishes THANK YOU.
Good Luck I hope you hear back soon. Real soon cause you need need to find a place to live.
FSU was a not a back up

Well were you accepted?

Has anyone been accepted to both usf ims and fsu bridge? This is a serious decision because fsu has guaranteed med school matriculation while usf does not. Almost always all bridge students get into the med school the following year while usf does not. Anyone have any advice for students in a pickle like me?

Has anyone been accepted to both usf ims and fsu bridge? This is a serious decision because fsu has guaranteed med school matriculation while usf does not. Almost always all bridge students get into the med school the following year while usf does not. Anyone have any advice for students in a pickle like me?

Take the sure thing!

There are some on SDN with a 4.0 from USF masters program that have not been accepted.

Why on earth would you put yourself thru the hassle and expense of reapplying

Gas Rules is correct. Go to the FSU Bridge program. Cost less and if you make your grades you will be in medical school come next year.

There are some on SDN with a 4.0 from USF masters program that have not been accepted.

Why on earth would you put yourself thru the hassle and expense of reapplying

Gas Rules is correct. Go to the FSU Bridge program. Cost less and if you make your grades you will be in medical school come next year.

I would agree with this advice. All bridge students that fulfill the requirements- B averages in classes & a research project in the spring with some community service if I'm not mistaken-will matriculate in the fall. As far as I know, we will have all the bridge students from my current class of 2015, matriculate into the class of 2016 except for one that wasn't able to meet one of the aforementioned requirements.

I know a lot of people that did the bridge program. It is a solid program and gives you a very solid foundation for first year. They have made a pretty big effort in making sure the bridge students feel like an active part of the school. When I first started, the bridge program LC was in the basement. Since then, they have completely shifted offices around and put the LC closer to the first and second year LCs. They have also started giving the Masters, which is a minor perk.

Performance wise, it continues to be the individual student that determines success. One of the highest Step 1 scores at FSU was by a former bridge student. They are all a pretty tight knit group and get strong support from the administration. You WILL be in the same anatomy/embryology, microanatomy and neuroanatomy course as the medical students, taking the same tests. They have their doctoring coursework on top of it, but that is not adding much load. Nothing is watered down for them. Some of the research projects have been pretty cool as well.

Side note, I suspect the next 20ish days will be active on here and then start winding down. I wish everyone the best if on the waitlist and to keep your chin up if it doesn't end how you'd like.

I'm going into my fourth year and feel like I'm distanced from much of the happenings and decisions at the main campus. I will continue to try and answer questions or find someone who knows, but I'm probably going to start phasing out talking about the stuff I know nothing of anymore.

If any of you have MS3/MS4 and residency application type questions, I will be able to answer those better, especially as this next year progresses.

hey everyone! I'm pretty much pumped to reapply this summer! woo hooo!

... although, to be honest... I have a lingering question when it comes to fsu... are they still giving interviews?... haha i know, yeah right... right? :)

hey everyone! I'm pretty much pumped to reapply this summer! woo hooo!

... although, to be honest... I have a lingering question when it comes to fsu... are they still giving interviews?... haha i know, yeah right... right? :)
My son was sent a Rejection letter........so if you have not received one there is still a chance you might get an interview. Might be a very slim one.

I always heard they interviewed *through* April. April having ended, I doubt they're still interviewing.

Best of luck with the reapplication process, generator.

I know a lot of people that did the bridge program. It is a solid program and gives you a very solid foundation for first year. They have made a pretty big effort in making sure the bridge students feel like an active part of the school. When I first started, the bridge program LC was in the basement. Since then, they have completely shifted offices around and put the LC closer to the first and second year LCs. They have also started giving the Masters, which is a minor perk.

Performance wise, it continues to be the individual student that determines success. One of the highest Step 1 scores at FSU was by a former bridge student. They are all a pretty tight knit group and get strong support from the administration. You WILL be in the same anatomy/embryology, microanatomy and neuroanatomy course as the medical students, taking the same tests. They have their doctoring coursework on top of it, but that is not adding much load. Nothing is watered down for them. Some of the research projects have been pretty cool as well.

A very close coworker of mine was just accepted into Bridge. He's an amazingly talented public speaker & it has been such a privilege working with him the last couple years. I'm quite jealous that Bridge & the 2017 class will be getting his brilliance :smuggrin:. FSU's student body assembling is one of the best in the nation in my opinion, with regards to a positive atmosphere, teamwork, and personal progress.

hello all.. just curious about how the schedule looks like for the summer session..class time and test time etc.. any ideas?

Schedule is pretty 8-5 throughout the week..sometimes 3ish. Lectures are not mandatory as a whole. I don't recommend skipping them at first, but if you figure out what needs to be done then it is easier by dodging lecture.

You will have plenty of time to exercise and hang with new classmates during the summer while still working hard.

Withdrew my acceptance this morning. It was a very difficult decision, but I hope the spot will go to one of you who are still eagerly waiting.

Schedule is pretty 8-5 throughout the week..sometimes 3ish. Lectures are not mandatory as a whole. I don't recommend skipping them at first, but if you figure out what needs to be done then it is easier by dodging lecture.

You will have plenty of time to exercise and hang with new classmates during the summer while still working hard.

thanks for the reply! i guess its very different than undergrad.. 8-5 sounds intense but have been working 8-6 whole spring should be ready to go :D

Withdrew my acceptance here on Friday. I hope that one of you gets my spot!! Good Luck to everyone!

I interviewed last monday... Waiting for a response! Hopefully it will work out! Ms. Urrutia said they were still offering acceptances... We'll see.... I fell in love with FSU

It is a pretty easy going 8 to 5 with a lot of variability (leaning towards the less time side of the equation)

The anatomy lab and lecture is what takes up the most of your afternoon. Looking back on it, first year was almost too much free time for me when it wasn't a test week.

I think they are trying to shift some of the loaded second year to the first. Second year was brutal before, but it seems like they will cut down with the rising second years.

So has anybody heard or seen any movement off of the hold list yet? Does anyone have any information? I'm probably going to call admissions next week if I still haven't heard anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.