2011-2012 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a pretty easy going 8 to 5 with a lot of variability (leaning towards the less time side of the equation)

The anatomy lab and lecture is what takes up the most of your afternoon. Looking back on it, first year was almost too much free time for me when it wasn't a test week.

I think they are trying to shift some of the loaded second year to the first. Second year was brutal before, but it seems like they will cut down with the rising second years.

Class of 2015 still have to finish Health Issues in the fall so it is not too easy. But for 2016, they will get Health Issues out of the way in during first year so that is one less class to take when they are in M2

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been accepted to both usf ims and fsu bridge? This is a serious decision because fsu has guaranteed med school matriculation while usf does not. Almost always all bridge students get into the med school the following year while usf does not. Anyone have any advice for students in a pickle like me?

Take the Bridge Acceptance. Some of the leaders of my class are from the bridge class. It is a wonderful opportunity. USF IMS is not a guarantee thing

Take the Bridge Acceptance. Some of the leaders of my class are from the bridge class. It is a wonderful opportunity. USF IMS is not a guarantee thing

Thank you. I appreciate your opinion and I agree 100% with you. Was a nole in undergrad now a nole for grad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any bridge or M1 students need a roommate. I'm hoping to get a 2/2 at Lexington woods. It's $500 a month and very quiet. Personal message me if your interested. I'm 22, male, and originally from Bradenton fl

What textbooks are good for Doctoring 1 for the summer? Just the required?

So has anybody heard or seen any movement off of the hold list yet? Does anyone have any information? I'm probably going to call admissions next week if I still haven't heard anything.

I was placed on the hold list two weeks ago and received my rejection letter today. Just wanted to pass the word along. :(

Does anyone know the model of the laptops we're getting during orientation? do we get to keep them for 4 years?

I was placed on the hold list two weeks ago and received my rejection letter today. Just wanted to pass the word along. :(

I have been on hold since October 15th. I really don't know if it's a good thing that I have made it this far without being rejected or not. But it definitely makes me uneasy.

With the exception of UCF, I think Florida public schools wait until May to draw from the waitlist.

Interviewed 4/30... i received an e-mail yesterday saying they would let me know their desicion on monday... mm... im not sure what this means... anyone received this e-mail? I didnt email them or anything... Help? this wait is killing me!!!

I got an email from Dana which included a letter from Dean Patrick. Good luck to those still in the running, the waiting game stinks.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would recommend against any of the required textbooks for doctoring. They have been useless taking up space in my locker since I bought them. And if you ever do need them, there's plenty of abandoned Mosbys lying around in the LC bookcases.

I would recommend against any of the required textbooks for doctoring. They have been useless taking up space in my locker since I bought them. And if you ever do need them, there's plenty of abandoned Mosbys lying around in the LC bookcases.

Thanks bro.

They've been using Lenovo Thinkpads the last few years. Don't knowing that is what you will get. You are given that and an iPod touch(?) and have to return it after the 4 years or pay the original value of the device if lost.

They may change that whole idea though. It is an expense and last time I checked, they were discussing other options including iPads and letting the students buy their own computer.

As far as the hold list. It sucks, but I was on from mid-fall till a few days before orientation and another classmate got called off a few days into orientation. Until classes start, there is always hope.

Does anyone know the model of the laptops we're getting during orientation? do we get to keep them for 4 years?

As the class of 2014 IT chair, I know you guys (2016) are getting the Lenovo Thinkpads tablet.
The hard drive size will be smaller this year then the years before, as you are switching to Solid-State drive (I think they will do this year, if not it will be the next class, but the hard drive will be smaller)
I suggest getting an external hard drive to back up/store information. IF you are going to use the laptop as a main computer (as most people do)
You will get a PDA (iTouch 4, the one with the camera on it). I use it a lot as a medical resources at preceptor. You can use it as a music player too :D. Quite a few people in my class have iPhone so they dont ever use their iTouch.
Yes you keep it for all 4 years so dont lose it. IT is there to fix any computer issues for those laptops.

Thank you. I appreciate your opinion and I agree 100% with you. Was a nole in undergrad now a nole for grad.

You wont regret it. You get to know the staff even better with the extra year. Plus if you are interested in any med organizations you can run for position too.

I bought the mosby. I used it for CSSC/CLC a lot for M2. But that is just me. I know classmates that didnt buy the book at all and they are fine after 2 years

I suggest NOT buying any book right now beside the essential ones (next sentence) :D

ONLY TRUELY required books are for Anatomy: Grant's Dissector, Netter Atlas (or any other atlas of the human body but Netter is the best IMO) and BRS Anatomy (will help you with class)

I like Thieme's and Rohen's combo better than Netter. I'd recommend Pernkopf if you have lots of money and no ethical hang ups about using a textbook done by a Nazi. (I do...but it probably has the best medical illustrations I've ever seen.) Grant's isn't that great...the book, not the dissector.

You don't really need the dissector either. They have everything online with accompanying videos. It isn't bad to get it, but I found I never really used it.

Mosby's or bates are both good and solid textbooks, but I have maybe used mine a couple of times and have not used it at all during third year. I have websites bookmarked for examples if I need.

I bought the mosby. I used it for CSSC/CLC a lot for M2. But that is just me. I know classmates that didnt buy the book at all and they are fine after 2 years

I suggest NOT buying any book right now beside the essential ones (next sentence) :D

ONLY TRUELY required books are for Anatomy: Grant's Dissector, Netter Atlas (or any other atlas of the human body but Netter is the best IMO) and BRS Anatomy (will help you with class)

I just wanted to say that Grant's Dissector and Netter's atlas are both on Inkling (iPad textbook app, quite impressive). BRS Anatomy is coming soon according to their website. I suggest iPad users check it out. The app itself is free. The content boost over the paper versions is awesome (quizzes, animations, online community, and more). Netter's as sold on Inkling is also about $30 less than as sold on Apple's store.

Check it out: https://www.inkling.com/store/category/medicine/

They already have an extensive collection with frequent additions.

I like Thieme's and Rohen's combo better than Netter. I'd recommend Pernkopf if you have lots of money and no ethical hang ups about using a textbook done by a Nazi. (I do...but it probably has the best medical illustrations I've ever seen.) Grant's isn't that great...the book, not the dissector.

You don't really need the dissector either. They have everything online with accompanying videos. It isn't bad to get it, but I found I never really used it.

Mosby's or bates are both good and solid textbooks, but I have maybe used mine a couple of times and have not used it at all during third year. I have websites bookmarked for examples if I need.

Are the anatomy labs stocked with dissector copies, or is it BYOD?

Last edited:
Just got accepted to FSU!!! Class of 2016!! so excitedd!!

So I just emailed admissions for an update for us hold-listers and this was the response: ".We are still offering acceptances and anticipate offering acceptances through the Friday before our Orientation Week begins. You should be hearing something within the next coming weeks."

Hope is maybe still alive!

So I just emailed admissions for an update for us hold-listers and this was the response: ".We are still offering acceptances and anticipate offering acceptances through the Friday before our Orientation Week begins. You should be hearing something within the next coming weeks."

Hope is maybe still alive!

Good to know - thanks for doing that.

Hello. I was accepted into FSU COM and had a few questions. Am I suppose to purchase my books prior to orientation? I read on the orientation website that it was not required to purchase books before orientation but I've been reading other students talking about getting books already. Next question...aside from getting the forms in, is there anything else I'm suppose to be doing before classes start?

Hello. I was accepted into FSU COM and had a few questions. Am I suppose to purchase my books prior to orientation? I read on the orientation website that it was not required to purchase books before orientation but I've been reading other students talking about getting books already. Next question...aside from getting the forms in, is there anything else I'm suppose to be doing before classes start?

They said it's unnecessary to purchase books before orientation. That's your official answer. Some of us are scouting books mostly for better prices (eBay). I don't know what you mean by what else you need to be doing. Just follow the directions in your acceptance package & orientation site.

I used the dissector to read before going down to lab (then watch the videos). I never took it down there.

Congrats!

You should try to buy an Human Anatomy Atlas, BRS Anatomy, Grant's Dissector.

This will help you get going the first day of lab/class, plus the bookstore doesnt carry a lot of these books so you will have to wait on shipping.
I remember for our class, the book store ran out of Grant's dissector. So it is good to buy early on.

Make sure you have your immunization records, fill out the fafsa. then just show up and enjoy.

Thanks...Im going ahead and ordering Grants Dissector, Imaging Atlas of Human Anatomy, and Netter's Human Anatomy Atlas. But what is this BRS anatomy book?

I'm on this site: http://med.fsu.edu/userFiles/file/year1textbooks2012-2013.pdf

But I cant seem to find the BRS anatomy book that people are talking about. Am I overlooking something?

BRS = Board Review Series. They have many, many subjects for board prep. I'd recommend spending several hours in the Allopathic forum. So much can be learned there. :thumbup:

I don't think the imaging atlas is that great, personally. I'm going into radiology though, so perhaps I have higher standards.

I wouldn't go out and buy these right off the bat, but the learning radiology book (and website), Felson's (for CXR) and squire's fundamentals are all excellent texts if you have an interest in radiology and spare time....for some unknown reason.

I'm a big advocate of reading book suggestions/reviews on here, amazon and back of first aid. I med school you don't have to buy the recommended texts and sometimes there are better resources that cover the topics. Don't get caught in the BRS trap. They have a few good books, but there are other publishers with better stuff in each area. If I had to pick one must have BRS book, I'd probably go with physiology. The pathology and anatomy are pretty solid too.

Any movement on the waitlist? Hopefully we see some acceptances soon as it is now post-May 15. :xf:

no movement here... :/ but admissions said it will be soon

It should start to accelerate within the next few days.

Moss,

Did you get a phone call when you got off the waitlist?

I along with three of my friends were accepted this Monday and have to tell them our decision by May 18. All three of us are going DO so there is three more spots for you guys! Good luck everyone!!!

Thank you for giving us spots!!! :D :D :D

Does anybody know roughly how many applicants are still on the hold list?

Just got my rejection...good luck guys!

Me too. Good luck to everyone else still in the running for FSU. Thankfully I'm still on several waitlists.

Were you both Hold/Waitlist Candidates and then you got your rejection letter or just not interviewed at all? Puzzling!! Appreciate your clarifications mvb2 and Sitagliptin!!

I was interviewed in october, waitlisted october 17th, and THEN got my rejection letter (by email) yesterday.

Wow!! After waiting over 6 months and to be rejected is horrible!!

Hoping you have other options lined up!! I am still waiting and waitlisted in only two schools!! Nervous and do not know what I will be doing!!

unfortunately, i did not have great premed advising, so i didn't have other options...but you live and learn. I'm applying EDP to FSU on June 5th and also applying to biomedical masters programs in october as a backup...i will not repeat my mistakes :)

Me too!! Just did everything on my own!! Thanks for the respond and good luck with your future endevors!!

Moss,

Did you get a phone call when you got off the waitlist?

I had a call where Dana left a voicemail to check my email....I then sprinted downstairs butt naked and wet from the shower to check my email. My dogs were very confused.

I had a call where Dana left a voicemail to check my email....I then sprinted downstairs butt naked and wet from the shower to check my email. My dogs were very confused.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Wow. That just made my morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.