2011-2012 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this tweet:

Text "You spilled your chai latte" to 90999 to donate $1 to the victims of the U.S. East Coast earthquake.

Members don't see this ad.

The earthquake was due to all of the California students that Georgetown SOM took in this year. I believe the number was about 30. Everyone brought a piece of the San Andreas fault line. (JK)

But it wasn't bad, honestly. It mostly made it on the news due to them being extremely rare here (especially one in the 5's).

We at Georgetown are all looking forward to the new interviewees. We have all signed up for tours and the list was super long. Seems like a lot of the student body wants to show you around!

Members don't see this ad :)
The earth quake parties the gays will be having at the clubs this weekend to celebrate will probably be the most interesting of all.

haha love! now I'm super glad that this turned into a gay/earthquake thread because then maybe Leo will be repulsed by the idea of attending such a GAY school.Cause I totally heard you can catch it or something.....

haha love! now I'm super glad that this turned into a gay/earthquake thread because then maybe Leo will be repulsed by the idea of attending such a GAY school.Cause I totally heard you can catch it or something.....

I don't think that was what he was going for but I'll stay out of this.

I don't think that was what he was going for but I'll stay out of this.

I was merely pointing out that 1) I'm excited to hear from fellow gays and allies on the thread and 2) Leo has spewed so many ridiculous (albeit hopefully sarcastic) comments thus far that I wouldn't be surprised at the level of his ignorance.

The earthquake was due to all of the California students that Georgetown SOM took in this year. I believe the number was about 30. Everyone brought a piece of the San Andreas fault line. (JK)

But it wasn't bad, honestly. It mostly made it on the news due to them being extremely rare here (especially one in the 5's).

We at Georgetown are all looking forward to the new interviewees. We have all signed up for tours and the list was super long. Seems like a lot of the student body wants to show you around!

That's awesome! It makes me feel quite welcome, that's for sure. :)

I was merely pointing out that 1) I'm excited to hear from fellow gays and allies on the thread and 2) Leo has spewed so many ridiculous (albeit hopefully sarcastic) comments thus far that I wouldn't be surprised at the level of his ignorance.

Is it even possible that Leo could be slipping you all the needle? That he's trolling/teasing/being sarcastic to see who rises to the bait?

Nah, that couldn't be it.

summerleo said:
Leo has spewed so many ridiculous (albeit hopefully sarcastic) comments thus far that I wouldn't be surprised at the level of his ignorance.

You call my comments ridiculous, then acknowledge the possibility that I was being sarcastic, and end it with my being ignorant? Priceless.

Is it even possible that Leo could be slipping you all the needle? That he's trolling/teasing/being sarcastic to see who rises to the bait?

I mean I'm sure he is, to be fair I'm totally new to both SDN and online forums in general but I should have known better. Shame on me for engaging!

I mean I'm sure he is, to be fair I'm totally new to both SDN and online forums in general but I should have known better. Shame on me for engaging!

You're the least of them, but at least everyone gave me a good chuckle today after the earthquake.

Snuke in the snizz?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do adcoms from the schools look through these forums?

Snuke in the snizz?

You never know if someone has snuck a snuke up your snizz. It could be toxic. You might need to send someone in to check, but you never know what's lurking.

Do adcoms from the schools look through these forums?

God, I hope not. Good luck trying to figure out who I am, and I can't decide whether it would hurt me or not.

I think you're bike-curious

Hey! Leave Harley riders alone! They can't help it. :laugh:

Your MDApps profile might give them some good hints :laugh:

...crap. Guess I'll have to delete the whole thing, yes? :laugh: I did put some rather specific and unique events in there.

But seriously, I love you Gtown. While not my first choice, my first choice is a reach, and Gtown and DC rock. :love:

You mean the fact that she's shadowed a pediatrician? Lots of people have done that...
MCAT, GPA, age, gender, race, home state, undergrad is private and in NY, majors, all the activities together, date interview was offered....

Sarcasm doesn't carry when written without indicators, so if you were being sarcastic, sorry.

MCAT, GPA, age, gender, race, home state, undergrad is private and in NY, majors, all the activities together, date interview was offered....

Sarcasm doesn't carry when written without indicators, so if you were being sarcastic, sorry.

Assume I have a 5 year old's intelligence, and I'll get away with forgetting indicators on sarcasm as obvious as that last comment's.

Hey everyone...can we all just be friends? :oops:

I can't say no to you, Neural. I had a grumpy day at work, and I took it out by trolling on this thread.

I was :mad: and :( but now I'm :D; just for you.

Hey all,
I am a current M2 at Georgetown, and I will be giving interview day tours on 8/31 and 10/12. If that is your interview day, I'll totally be meeting you soon! If you have questions, go ahead and PM me. Don't ask things like "what are your chances" because I feel like that is beat to death on these forums. I will answer things like what kind of questions you can expect during your interview, and what a day in the life of a real Gtown med student is like. I will give you a totally honest view, too. So if you want some info, let me know.

Who else will be there 9/6? :soexcited:

How big are the typical interview groups? 15 people? 20?

I'll be there on 9/6!!!! :D

This is a good day. There is a Dean's lunch at noon, I wonder if you guys will get to meet some of them...

This is a good day. There is a Dean's lunch at noon, I wonder if you guys will get to meet some of them...

1. Light breakfast with current students 8:30AM (OPTIONAL)
  2. Attend class with first/second year medical students 9:00 AM (OPTIONAL, MUST ARRIVE BEFORE CLASS START)
  3. Welcome and Introduction 10:00 AM
  4. Financial Aid Presentation 10:15 AM
  5. Overview of our Program 10:45 AM
  6. Tour & Lunch 12:00-1:00 PM
  7. Dean’s Welcome 1:00-1:30 PM
  8. Afternoon Interview 2:00 or 2:45 PM
What class would that be, PS?

In early September the class will be Metabolism, Nutrition, and Endocrinology (MNE).

To answer the question about the deans lunch: you will meet one of the deans, but they pretty much just talk at you.

Huge suggestion: ask questions. Of everyone! It makes you seem more interested. I would also suggest going to the breakfast (it's free food) and going to class since that's where you will spend all your time first year.

How will we know it's you? Do you carry around an amniotic sac as well?

To answer the question about the deans lunch: you will meet one of the deans, but they pretty much just talk at you.

Huge suggestion: ask questions. Of everyone! It makes you seem more interested. I would also suggest going to the breakfast (it's free food) and going to class since that's where you will spend all your time first year.

I'm definitely going to be there for the free food time with students. Thanks for the advice - they probably won't get me to shut up with all my questions!

In early September the class will be Metabolism, Nutrition, and Endocrinology (MNE).

There is no Metabolism, Nutrition and Endocrinology (MNE) class at 9:00am on 9/6 (It's an self study hour). The interviewees can attend the second year quarter module.

How will we know it's you? Do you carry around an amniotic sac as well?

That's was funny! I almost spit out my coffee when I read that. I'll meet you guys at lunch. PM me the day before.

so anyone for this upcoming 8/29 interview flying into DC worried about their flights being cancelled due to hurricane irene?

I dont even know if ill be able to make it there anymore... im supposed to fly out of cali tomorrow night but it looks like that might not happen......

hmmm what to do?

so anyone for this upcoming 8/29 interview flying into DC worried about their flights being cancelled due to hurricane irene?

I dont even know if ill be able to make it there anymore... im supposed to fly out of cali tomorrow night but it looks like that might not happen......

hmmm what to do?

Call Georgetown and ask. Otherwise, watch the weather and just hope. Changing your plane ticket would be a hassle, and expensive. If you'll be in the area later in the cycle, maybe you can change your Gtown to then?

hmmm what to do?

I'm in the same situation.

much love to you guys from a katrina survivor lol... and yes an interview invite would be nice

Call Georgetown and ask. Otherwise, watch the weather and just hope. Changing your plane ticket would be a hassle, and expensive. If you'll be in the area later in the cycle, maybe you can change your Gtown to then?

Many airline companies are allowing flight changes for free because of the hurricane, in case anyone needs to.

Many airline companies are allowing flight changes for free because of the hurricane, in case anyone needs to.

We don't really know if we need to. Haven't heard anything from Georgetown.

We don't really know if we need to. Haven't heard anything from Georgetown.

Hello Everyone,

For those interviewing next week this was sent to the Georgetown community regarding the Hurricane and undergrads, but could also apply to those of you coming into town:

Dear Members of the Georgetown University Community,

We are writing to update you on our preparations for possible inclement weather this weekend as we welcome students to campus.
We are watching Hurricane Irene and considering how this storm may impact our community and events planned this weekend, in particular move-in and New Student Convocation.

Our first priority is a successful move-in. At this time, we anticipate that move-in will proceed as planned for our new students. Additionally, we are considering whether it will be safe to hold New Student Convocation as planned. We will update you of changes to our plans as we gather more details about Hurricane Irene's path and potential impacts.

Following post-earthquake structural inspections, three of the crosses on Healy Hall will be removed today in advance of the projected hurricane. The crosses will be re-installed with new anchors as soon as practical. The removal process will require some entrances to Healy Hall to be closed periodically between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. due to the delicate overhead work requiring two cranes. The south entrance to Healy and the entrance from Maguire Hall will remain open throughout the day. We apologize for the short notice and thank you for your cooperation and support as we protect the legacy of Georgetown University.

Please know that we are also making preparations to support students and members of the university community who may be on campus during inclement weather.

Please check http://preparedness.georgetown.edu for updates. We also encourage students, faculty and staff to sign up for HOYAlert for emergency notification via email, SMS and voice messaging through this site.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

If you guys are coming in Sunday, you should be fine. Storm should be past NYC by then. If you are flying in Saturday night, that would be more sketch. I was supposed to do a night shift in an ER across town, and I got out of that because they didn't want me driving out in a hurricane.

I will go and directly talk to admissions after class and get back to you all about what they say.

My flight from ATL to National got cancelled so I won't be there on Monday. Website says I'll have the chance to reschedule.

My flight from ATL to National got cancelled so I won't be there on Monday. Website says I'll have the chance to reschedule.

Dang. :( At least you can reschedule, but that's too bad.

I found a flight that leaves Houston tomorrow morning at 6:30AM that hasn't been cancelled yet. I booked it and am hoping it doesn't get cancelled.

I found a flight that leaves Houston tomorrow morning at 6:30AM that hasn't been cancelled yet. I booked it and am hoping it doesn't get cancelled.

Hopefully you should be alright. It's not supposed to hit us until later in the afternoon, and that's can't be too long of a flight.

Hopefully you should be alright. It's not supposed to hit us until later in the afternoon, and that's can't be too long of a flight.

I land in DC at noon. I'm glad I found this flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.