-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Got mine today too. Don't add the @siumed.edu when you login. Your username is the part before that.... Only took me about 20 mins to figure that out. (I R Smart)
Haha I had the same problem. I think that should be stated a bit more explicitly in the letter, Caesar, I assume you're the M2?
Haha I had the same problem. I think that should be stated a bit more explicitly in the letter, Caesar, I assume you're the M2?
You'd assume right.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Winner.Haha I had the same problem. I think that should be stated a bit more explicitly in the letter, Caesar, I assume you're the M2?
Still on the fringe and awaiting my acceptance. A friend that's currently a year one thinks I still have a good shot and I definitely want to go to SIU. Just wondering if anyone could say how many people are a part of the Facebook group. (Might give me some insight into how full up the class already is or as I'm hoping, isn't. 😛 )
Still on the fringe and awaiting my acceptance. A friend that's currently a year one thinks I still have a good shot and I definitely want to go to SIU. Just wondering if anyone could say how many people are a part of the Facebook group. (Might give me some insight into how full up the class already is or as I'm hoping, isn't. 😛 )
No idea how many are in the group but Dr. C said today that people holding multiple acceptances got/will be getting a letter telling them they have 2 weeks to pick their school. So if we're gonna see movement, it'll probably be in the next few weeks. Good luck!
4
402526
Holy crap. Got the acceptance e-mail this morning. Have been waitlisted here and at 2 other schools. I was AWPA last year, but 4th quartile. So reapplicants in the same position should definitely stay hopeful.
Holy crap. Got the acceptance e-mail this morning. Have been waitlisted here and at 2 other schools. I was AWPA last year, but 4th quartile. So reapplicants in the same position should definitely stay hopeful.
Congrats! Must feel great to have some peace finally eh? **Cue the pot smoking Dell guy....DUDE, You're going to med school!"
Any more acceptances? Withdrawals? Anything?? 😉
2 people I know just gave up positions so at least 2 more people will be hearing soon.
Does SIU not do any over-accepting at all? So that every drop is a new acceptance issued?
4
402526
No, SIU does not over accept. So every vacated seat at this point will be filled by the next person on the list.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, SIU does not over accept. So every vacated seat at this point will be filled by the next person on the list.
Well there is an exception this year.
Because they are starting an MD/MPH option this year those that were excepted to the joint program but for some reason drop the MPH would be entering the first year class instead of doing the MPH this fall. They must confirm what they are doing by May 15th like everyone else. If they do drop the MPH and a slot opens they will fill the slot not a new person. If a slot doesn't open up then there will be a few extra "new" 1st years. The class of 2015 started with 78 people. 72 new 1st years and 6 "others" for various reasons.
Any updates?
Last year most of the movement was from about May 10 through May 18. Then it went back to a frustrating snails pace for those not already accepted, but kept going until about mid June when the last one from my class was accepted. Some years there have been admits given while the rest of the new class was in orientation in August.
My point is this: While most of the slots are probably filled for good. There will continue to be movement so don't give up yet.
Now for the less than great news: I heard that this years admits do appear a little firmer than previous years so there may be less movement than in past years.
My point is this: While most of the slots are probably filled for good. There will continue to be movement so don't give up yet.
Now for the less than great news: I heard that this years admits do appear a little firmer than previous years so there may be less movement than in past years.
4
402526
Hasn't the class been full since the 3 batches of acceptances went out?
yes, but they fill spots as they empty.Hasn't the class been full since the 3 batches of acceptances went out?
Class is full right now - unless someone drops by the end of the day or from here on out.
Can someone please expand on this? Does this mean that siu has received 75 deposits?
yes.Can someone please expand on this? Does this mean that siu has received 75 deposits?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any news?????
So, with that being said, is there typically any movement at all after this stage in a normal year? Do those of us who have not received an acceptance stand any shot?
you should read through older posts. we've answered this
So, with that being said, is there typically any movement at all after this stage in a normal year? Do those of us who have not received an acceptance stand any shot?
I agree with Red that it has been covered a lot in older posts but I will still try to answer it. In past years there has always been some movement after May 15th. Some years more than others. Last year there was some movement through mid June, that I know of. In some years there has been movement all the way into the week of orientation.
Don't expect a lot of change now but the chance is still out there.
The reason that I asked what may appear to be a question that has been answered several time is because to me, it was unclear if any of this movement in past years has happened after 75 deposits were recieved or if after may 15th there was a succession of withdrawals leading to more offers leading to more withdrawals. While this may not seem like an important distinction to anyone else, the difference would help me make some important decisions that I need to make by the time the next application cycle begins. Sorry for wasting your time, red.
The reason that I asked what may appear to be a question that has been answered several time is because to me, it was unclear if any of this movement in past years has happened after 75 deposits were recieved or if after may 15th there was a succession of withdrawals leading to more offers leading to more withdrawals. While this may not seem like an important distinction to anyone else, the difference would help me make some important decisions that I need to make by the time the next application cycle begins. Sorry for wasting your time, red.
Yes, People still drop or change plans after paying the deposit. Example: One of the girls in my class was accepted in the previous class but won Miss Illinois during the summer and delayed starting for a year so she could complete her pageant duties.
Any Movement????
Wow, it's too quiet here lol
Sorry guys, I haven't heard anything about movement. I am away for awhile (as is Red) taking boards so IF we post, excuse our brevity. It's up to the Cap to answer questions and he's got a test coming up too. Bad timing.
There are now 61 members on the SIU SOM facebook page. I'm not sure whether the last 11 people just haven't signed up yet or they are still deciding on schools but I wanted to give you guys an update.
Hey Swissmiss, did you receive an acceptance? If so, congrats!
Thank you! Yes I did get accepted a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty excited 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is correct. 😉Ya I also know that ~5 of the facebook members are faculty or current students, so there are even more than 11 that have not joined!
Thank you! Yes I did get accepted a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty excited 🙂
Congrats!
FYI my exam is over now so if you have any questions feel free to post away.
Well this question will come up pretty soon based on past years. "What should I study to prepare for medical school?"
The common answer is that it is hard to know the level of knowledge that you are going to need in the 1st year of medical school so don't try and enjoy your summer.
Among my class members we talked about this some and here is the class of 2015 recommendations:
If you know you are weak in or haven't studied:
Embryology - find a copy of Sadler, Langman's Embryology and start becoming familiar with it,
Histology - start looking at Dr. King's website
Both of these topics are important and they will help you through the entire first year. They are also somewhat self limiting so they are something you can study on your own.
If you want to be aggressive, watch some of the free lectures from Dr. Najeeb on Youtube. You will probably still need more details during the year but he gives good solid lectures that are easy to understand and remember. (Warning he has an Indian accent but it is not too bad.) Remember that your first unit covers Cardiac, Respiratory and Renal.
In both cases don't stress out over the summer. By the end of your first year you will be worn out and ready for the summer. So make sure you are well rested for when school starts.
The common answer is that it is hard to know the level of knowledge that you are going to need in the 1st year of medical school so don't try and enjoy your summer.
Among my class members we talked about this some and here is the class of 2015 recommendations:
If you know you are weak in or haven't studied:
Embryology - find a copy of Sadler, Langman's Embryology and start becoming familiar with it,
Histology - start looking at Dr. King's website
Both of these topics are important and they will help you through the entire first year. They are also somewhat self limiting so they are something you can study on your own.
If you want to be aggressive, watch some of the free lectures from Dr. Najeeb on Youtube. You will probably still need more details during the year but he gives good solid lectures that are easy to understand and remember. (Warning he has an Indian accent but it is not too bad.) Remember that your first unit covers Cardiac, Respiratory and Renal.
In both cases don't stress out over the summer. By the end of your first year you will be worn out and ready for the summer. So make sure you are well rested for when school starts.
As someone a week out from boards let me add this: DON'T STUDY OVER THE SUMMER. Enjoy what little time you have left.
That goes for you too, Cap.
That goes for you too, Cap.
As someone a week out from boards let me add this: DON'T STUDY OVER THE SUMMER. Enjoy what little time you have left.
That goes for you too, Cap.
amen
- Status
- Not open for further replies.