-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
So I'm confused, people are getting acceptances, but the batch isn't supposed to come out until the 28th. Does this mean they are giving spots as soon as people are turning down their acceptances? Or has the batch already come out?
It shouldn't be that the next batch is being released. When it does you will usually hear a fair number report at one time on this list. Also the timing isn't right yet.
You are correct that as people turn down SIU they release that same number of slots to the top applicants. Hope this helps.
It shouldn't be that the next batch is being released. When it does you will usually hear a fair number report at one time on this list. Also the timing isn't right yet.
You are correct that as people turn down SIU they release that same number of slots to the top applicants. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the speedy reply! That cleared it up.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are always people here on Saturday, just what's going on depends on the weekend. We just started our last unit and many of us are currently in relaxed mode. If you wanted to come down and check some things out I'm sure one or a couple of us can show you around. Shoot me a PM and let me know when you're thinking, etc.Is there generally any activity at Carbondale on a Saturday? Thinking of taking a road trip to check things out. I'll already be in town checking out an apartment. I'll buy lunch if anyone can show me around...
Do any of the admitted students know if there has been a class of 2016 facebook group created yet? I've looked a bit and haven't been able to find one, but I wasn't sure if that was just because the group is private. I'm beginning to casually look into housing and I think a group would be helpful in regards to finding potential roommates.
Do any of the admitted students know if there has been a class of 2016 facebook group created yet? I've looked a bit and haven't been able to find one, but I wasn't sure if that was just because the group is private. I'm beginning to casually look into housing and I think a group would be helpful in regards to finding potential roommates.
I looked for it but did not see it. If they follow the naming from past years it will be:
Class of 2016 SIU SOM
I can't remember. It is set up to be approved by the group founder (assoc. dean) so she would know you by name.No facebook page yet. I think you have to wait until you have a SIU email addy before you could join it anyway don't you?
Last Adcom was last night. Final roll out should be soon and then it is a day-to-day turnover.
Oh and everyone who interviewed, PLEASE fill out the interview feedback thing on SDN. I'm saying this as someone who works here and wants it to be a good place to refer people who ask me about what the interviews are like (this is a very, very popular question). I would encourage you to do it for all schools you interview. http://studentdoctor.net/schools/
So if the committee was supposed to meet about our batch yesterday and we don't receive an e-mail today about AWPA or acceptance, does that mean we're rejected?
So if the committee was supposed to meet about our batch yesterday and we don't receive an e-mail today about AWPA or acceptance, does that mean we're rejected?
If you just interviewed recently and haven't been placed on the AWPA list, that comes via snail mail.
no. I don't think AWPA is being sent by email.So if the committee was supposed to meet about our batch yesterday and we don't receive an e-mail today about AWPA or acceptance, does that mean we're rejected?
Nope, nothing here. Does anyone know if the last batch has come out already, or when it's going to be released?Hey guys, any acceptances today?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last group of AWPA were mailed out earlier today I believe, the last batch should be out tomorrow or early next week?Nope, nothing here. Does anyone know if the last batch has come out already, or when it's going to be released?
Does that mean that Vike29 had an 'in-between batch' acceptance?Last group of AWPA were mailed out earlier today I believe, the last batch should be out tomorrow or early next week?
Does that mean that Vike29 had an 'in-between batch' acceptance?
Probably.
The class is full now and everyone has been notified. Now, the tough wait begins for the leftover AWPA-ers. Major movement seems to happen throughout May. Good luck everyone and if anyone is on the fence about whether or not to come here, feel free to send me a message and I'll be glad to answer any questions!
The Match was a few weeks ago, but I just thought I'd post this for anyone interested.
http://www.siumed.edu/news/Releases FY12/StudentsGetMatchNews.html
http://www.siumed.edu/news/Releases FY12/StudentsGetMatchNews.html
Since only 66 seniors matched, does that mean there were 6 that didn't?
Since only 66 seniors matched, does that mean there were 6 that didn't?
I was wondering the same thing.
Since only 66 seniors matched, does that mean there were 6 that didn't?
To add to this when it gets answered, were the people who didn't match able to scramble into something?
no. Class numbers change. I am not sure what the total class size is this year. I know of one that didn't match. There were a couple who didn't enter the match as well (they plan to do other things).
Match numbers include those who went through "SOAP". There is no scramble anymore.
Match numbers include those who went through "SOAP". There is no scramble anymore.
no. Class numbers change. I am not sure what the total class size is this year. I know of one that didn't match. There were a couple who didn't enter the match as well (they plan to do other things).
Match numbers include those who went through "SOAP". There is no scramble anymore.
Caesar is right. Class numbers change for various reasons. Sometimes people take time off for family, add on a graduate degree, or take a year or more off for research.
I was told by admin that no one went unmatched...
Caesar is right. Class numbers change for various reasons. Sometimes people take time off for family, add on a graduate degree, or take a year or more off for research.
I was told by admin that no one went unmatched...
S/he might not have entered the match. I didn't ask to be honest.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am going here for sure!
Well that makes 2... Only 70 more to go eh?
I just received an acceptance today via email. Very unexpected, I woke up and groggily checked my email when it showed up. Now I have a big decision to make between SIU and UIC RMED, my two top choices. Any input would be appreciated.
is RMED tuition different than regular UIC tuition? I know UIC regular tuition is skyrocketing this year (41k maybe?). With how thats going, for that reason alone I'd run, not walk, to carbondale. If RMED is different though, then that's a different story perhaps.
is RMED tuition different than regular UIC tuition? I know UIC regular tuition is skyrocketing this year (41k maybe?). With how thats going, for that reason alone I'd run, not walk, to carbondale. If RMED is different though, then that's a different story perhaps.
They nixed the tuition increase from 34k to 41k (21%) this year (It's the same for RMED). However, the email said that the 34k rate is not locked in and does not include around 4k of fees.
I really like both programs, I know there are pros and cons to each so I guess I'll have to make a decision.
P.S. What are the dates for SIU orientation, white coat, first day of class etc? I have a summer field course to finish up my geology degree from June 16 to July 31.
Pre-orientation on June 15.
Orientation Aug 9 & 10.
White coat Aug 10.
Classes start Aug 13.
Good, I will be able to attend all the events if I choose to go SIU. Thanks!
I can't remember. It is set up to be approved by the group founder (assoc. dean) so she would know you by name.
Last Adcom was last night. Final roll out should be soon and then it is a day-to-day turnover.
I haven't heard that you need an SIU email address to join the Facebook group. I called the office in mid March and they told me the Facebook group would be set up around April 1, and that you should start looking for roommates etc. through that since June is a bit late to find housing in Carbondale. I'm really ready for them to make the group so we can all get that figured out!
Also, has anyone received financial aid info yet? I was told on the phone also that that would be sent via email a week and a half ago (the financial lady herself told me) and I've still received nothing. Most of the scholarships I'm applying for want to know all your loan, cost, grant info etc and I can't fill them out.
Also, has anyone received financial aid info yet? I was told on the phone also that that would be sent via email a week and a half ago (the financial lady herself told me) and I've still received nothing. Most of the scholarships I'm applying for want to know all your loan, cost, grant info etc and I can't fill them out.
In case if any of you were planning on it and haven't already been informed, subsidized loans for medicals students is gone after this school year. So the bad news is any loans that you take will start earning interest as soon as you take them. Sorry.
call the office in springfield, not carbondale. They can help you.I haven't heard that you need an SIU email address to join the Facebook group. I called the office in mid March and they told me the Facebook group would be set up around April 1, and that you should start looking for roommates etc. through that since June is a bit late to find housing in Carbondale. I'm really ready for them to make the group so we can all get that figured out!
Also, has anyone received financial aid info yet? I was told on the phone also that that would be sent via email a week and a half ago (the financial lady herself told me) and I've still received nothing. Most of the scholarships I'm applying for want to know all your loan, cost, grant info etc and I can't fill them out.
Also, you get your emails around the same time if I remember correctly, not in June.
I haven't heard that you need an SIU email address to join the Facebook group. I called the office in mid March and they told me the Facebook group would be set up around April 1, and that you should start looking for roommates etc. through that since June is a bit late to find housing in Carbondale. I'm really ready for them to make the group so we can all get that figured out!
Also, has anyone received financial aid info yet? I was told on the phone also that that would be sent via email a week and a half ago (the financial lady herself told me) and I've still received nothing. Most of the scholarships I'm applying for want to know all your loan, cost, grant info etc and I can't fill them out.
I got the initial FinAid email. I had my FAFSA sent the first day it was available. It was only a initial letter as they have not met to decide on tuition cost for 2012-2013 yet. Also, they have not received any Perkins funding yet.
Leslie just wants an estimate. If you're single, it should be pretty simple. I sent in two budgets based on two possible income options for my wife. If you're single it should just be a matter of taking any contributions you, your family scholarships etc. are providing and subtract that from the yellow sheet you got at your interview which has the freshman budget on it. Plan on loans for the rest and you should be good to go.
Good news!
The Facebook group has been created - I just saw it today. It's called "2016 SIU SOM"
The Facebook group has been created - I just saw it today. It's called "2016 SIU SOM"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll see you all there!Good news!
The Facebook group has been created - I just saw it today. It's called "2016 SIU SOM"
Me too!! Where did you find the info for the email setup??
I got a letter from the SOM that had the details (username and password) required to set up the account. Keep an eye on your mailbox.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.