2011-2012 University of Arkansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what the acceptance rate is, but I think it's pretty high. They do want to have some idea that you at least know what rural is. And keep in mind, that IM, FP, Peds, EM, OB/GYN, and GS are considered "Primary Care". So there is the possibility that you can escape with most of your career ahead of you if you want out.

Gear God Milkman, I have some horrible mental images now regarding the faculty.

Members don't see this ad.

And keep in mind, that IM, FP, Peds, EM, OB/GYN, and GS are considered "Primary Care". So there is the possibility that you can escape with most of your career ahead of you if you want out.
This is true, but you have to serve an amount of years equal to the length of time you benefited from the scholarship before you've fulfilled the contract. In other words, you're at least 7 years post-med school out from switching careers if you end up not liking any of the specialties they offer. The consequences for breaking the contract, which basically means doing anything other than taking the scholarship for all 4 years and then serving as a rural practitioner for 4 years, as I understand it, are that you pay out-of-state tuition with retroactive interest for all 4 years and are barred from getting a medical license in Arkansas. Fun stuff.

Gear God Milkman, I have some horrible mental images now regarding the faculty.
I hear a certain anatomy professor volunteers frequently...

Patiently waiting 2 more weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Patiently waiting 2 more weeks.

Heard that...silently stalking my mailbox

"Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything through prayer and petition present your requests to God, and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and mind in Christ Jesus"

I basically gave up checking the mail after the December round. I checked the mail every day that I was wait-listed last year (February - August) and never got accepted. I refuse to even look at it until February 16th.

I was in the same spot last year....and it sucked waiting and checking and getting nothing....11 days left...

"Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything through prayer and petition present your requests to God, and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and mind in Christ Jesus"

I was in the same spot last year....and it sucked waiting and checking and getting nothing....11 days left...

I'm sorry to hear that. What have you done to improve your application from last year, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm sorry to hear that. What have you done to improve your application from last year, if you don't mind me asking?

I retook the mcat and have been working as a medic for over a year...different letters of rec and added a few more medical mission trips I have been on since the first go around...PM me if you have questions since we seem to be in the same spot

I got an acceptance in the January round and sent in my confirmation of acceptance form by mail about two weeks ago. Should I be expecting some sort of email or letter from UAMS confirming they got it?

They send out a bunch of paperwork you'll need or is useful before matriculation at some point, but since I got in off the waitlist, I'm not really sure when that normally goes out. Things may have changed since then, too. Whatever the case, you can just call the admissions office to confirm they got your acceptance acceptance :)p).

I interviewed in October and I'm starting to freak out a little...Ok, it's more than just a little.

I applied from the 4th Congressional District so I feel good about my chances but I'd be lying if I said I'm not getting cold feet. How stiff is the competition this year? I remember Ms. DuPuy saying that the volume of applicants has increased dramatically recently.

AHHHHHHHH!!!!

The regular notification date for applicants is in February, so don't feel like you are one of the last to hear.

I would guess that the 1st and 4th districts are the least competitive simply because they seem to be the least populous?

I interviewed in October and I'm starting to freak out a little...Ok, it's more than just a little.

I applied from the 4th Congressional District so I feel good about my chances but I'd be lying if I said I'm not getting cold feet. How stiff is the competition this year? I remember Ms. DuPuy saying that the volume of applicants has increased dramatically recently.

AHHHHHHHH!!!!
A 21 MCAT was accepted from the 4th district last year. That is the only stat of know of his, so he could have amazing ECs, but that should help warm those cold feet....if only a little.

When did you speak with Linda about the volume of applicants increasing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you for a fact that the applicant volume is way, way up. That said, they aren't really interviewing that many more people since the IS application number isn't up too terribly much and the caps on OOS students is still in place. Basically, it just means that it's a lot harder to get in OOS and maybe a little harder to get in IS.

I got an acceptance in the January round and sent in my confirmation of acceptance form by mail about two weeks ago. Should I be expecting some sort of email or letter from UAMS confirming they got it?

I got a January acceptance, and I can't remember for sure, but I think the next thing you will get will be the big packet of info that everyone gets at the same time detailing financial aid, white coat ceremony, signing your life away, etc...

Does anyone have any idea how many OOS applicants there were to start? I know 101 interviewed. I'm just curious since people are saying applicant volume is abnormally high. It's the same case at the other schools I applied at too.

Does anyone have any idea how many OOS applicants there were to start? I know 101 interviewed. I'm just curious since people are saying applicant volume is abnormally high. It's the same case at the other schools I applied at too.

I knew this number but I've forgotten it. I believe it's somewhere between 1800-2100 OOS applications this year. That would be up from last year, but it's not a crazy jump. It's the last several years that the OOS applications have really grown a lot overall, not just one specific year. They interviewed 101 like you said, which is higher than years past, but the overall number accepted will still be about the same, probably in the mid 20s. The OOS application volume isn't really that high in my opinion, but I guess it's relatively high considering the number of spots available. IS applications are up a bit but those aren't likely to fluctuate as much each year since Arkansas's population isn't changing that fast.

So I guess since I interviewed as OOS, my odds are pretty good? Considering where the OOS field started. I'm definitely anxious for next week to come for sure.

So I guess since I interviewed as OOS, my odds are pretty good? Considering where the OOS field started. I'm definitely anxious for next week to come for sure.

Pure numbers odds aren't too bad- 20-25% of interviewees will be offered spots. Since some will decide to attend elsewhere or a few may have withdrawn their application after receiving another acceptance, the overall odds are a bit better than that too. I'm not sure how many (as a percentage) of OOS students are waitlisted, but there is a lot of OOS shuffling/waitlist movement as those with multiple offers decide where to attend, so a waitlist letter isn't necessarily bad news either.

I am IS, so I do NOT like hearing IS volume is up. How much of an increase in volume do you guys think it has increased?

I am IS, so I do NOT like hearing IS volume is up. How much of an increase in volume do you guys think it has increased?

:D Don't stress about it, you'll have plenty of things to stress about later on. I believe IS apps are actually pretty similar to last year, but I don't recall the actual numbers. The by district breakdown might have changed a little, but I haven't really talked to anyone about that specifically. Arkansas residents really have it very good- you have an in-state school that gives you a chance to prove yourself in an interview no matter what, and a relatively large class size for a pretty small state, which makes your odds even better. It's really a great combination for IS applicants, you should thank God you're not in California!
-Matt

I have friends in most years at UAMS and this years numbers for in-state applicants was slightly down from last year...like 15-20ish....

:D Don't stress about it, you'll have plenty of things to stress about later on. I believe IS apps are actually pretty similar to last year, but I don't recall the actual numbers. The by district breakdown might have changed a little, but I haven't really talked to anyone about that specifically. Arkansas residents really have it very good- you have an in-state school that gives you a chance to prove yourself in an interview no matter what, and a relatively large class size for a pretty small state, which makes your odds even better. It's really a great combination for IS applicants, you should thank God you're not in California!
-Matt
I need you to make those types of comments for the next 10 days, please. :)

Does UAMS have a higher acceptance rate for second time applicants that have improved their MCAT score from let's say a 23 to 26-27? I know that they want to see improvement but I was wondering if they take in consideration that the applicant is determined enough to apply again?

Does UAMS have a higher acceptance rate for second time applicants that have improved their MCAT score from let's say a 23 to 26-27? I know that they want to see improvement but I was wondering if they take in consideration that the applicant is determined enough to apply again?
As I understand it, everything that you do to show that you are committed to being successful as a medical student and later as a physician is considered when looking at your application. Improving your score on the MCAT...even if it is slightly low (26 or lower)...still shows that you worked/studied in order to improve. Taking the MCAT is difficult and they know that. Depending on the rest of your application....raising your score may have been just enough to to bump you over the hump.
As far as being a second time applicant, I don't think just applying a second time really matters TOO much. They want to see that you are actively doing something related to patient-care/research to improve your chances of getting into medical school.

I am also a second time applicant so I am getting all of this info. from what I have heard from Linda at the office up there.

Marbleman, I hope this isn't being too nosy but I was wondering what your stats were last year and this year? I know that there are other factors that contribute to being accepted and was wondering if you changed any other aspect

I'm in the same boat as you guys...(and gal) hopefully the improvements will be get my app over the hump...

Actually the acceptance rate (% wise) is higher for second time applicants, and then subsequently goes down for third time applicants....

This is the week...if anyone hears anything, let us know!

Good luck to everyone! Post something as soon as you hear.
The anticipation is killing me. I can't feel my legs.

I was told all the letters aren't all sent out the same day but rather over a period of about 3 days. I don't know for sure if this is true but it would explain why the range of days we should expect something isn't a bit narrower.

I was told all the letters aren't all sent out the same day but rather over a period of about 3 days. I don't know for sure if this is true but it would explain why the range of days we should expect something isn't a bit narrower.
This is true from what I believe. They start sending out the letters at the earliest by tomorrow and at the latest by the 20th. Last year I received my letter the day after they began sending out letters. (If I remember correctly)

ive heard that if u have a 27+\3.5+ u have a huge chance to get in. Not sure if it's true but sounds like a good template to go with?

ive heard that if u have a 27+\3.5+ u have a huge chance to get in. Not sure if it's true but sounds like a good template to go with?

That's a bold statement for a first statement don't you think?

Maybe a good template...but their decisions is based on many factors.

I was just asking bc that's what ive heard from other people and wasnt sure if it was accurate

Not to add to your uneasiness, but I was rejected last year with stats higher than those you listed. On the flip side of that coin, I had friends that were accepted with lower... So as marbleman said, there are just a lot of other factors which they consider and work into their mysterious formulae. I think it's definitely a good foundation-- especially if you feel like you had decent EC's, letters of rec., etc..

Last edited:
I was just asking bc that's what ive heard from other people and wasnt sure if it was accurate

The short answer is no, it's not really accurate (based off what I've heard and seen over the past three cycles). However, UAMS has one of the broadest ranges of accepted scores and GPAs of any place I've seen, so they're obviously weighting some factors much more heavily than other schools and that makes it really difficult to give a window of "good odds". There's academics/application, a good portion of interview, and probably a healthy dose of magic in the admission mix so make your predictions with the knowledge that it's hard to quantify some of that.

Nothing in the mail today. I'd rather be strung up by my toe nails...

By themselves, those are pretty good stats. But no guarentee.

Good stats + ******* in the interview = not accepted
Mediocre stats + good interview = welcome aboard, son.

The interview is crucial at UAMS, as I told many of you (in a nicer way) before your interviews. Of course, EC, research, LOAs, and how much your uncle donated are taken into consideration.

No word today..And I live in the same zip code as UAMS (but am still OOS!).

Good Luck to All

UAMS-COM Admissions Office was closed on Monday so the letters were sent Tuesday....come on USPS!!!

UAMS-COM Admissions Office was closed on Monday so the letters were sent Tuesday....come on USPS!!!

So they actually sent the letters on Tuesday (14th)?????

My buddy that's an M2 said they would have the letters done and ready to send Monday but since the school was closed Monday they would have sent them out yesterday....

Maybe tomorrow is the day then.
Good luck to everyone!

Do they send out some rejection letters first? A friend of mine got his rejection letter yesterday :(

Status
Not open for further replies.