2011-2012 University of Arkansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how's thats possible...the school was closed Monday and getting the letter same day sounds unlikely...

"Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything through prayer and petition present your requests to God, and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and mind in Christ Jesus"

Members don't see this ad.

He really did get his letter yesterday though so they probably sent send a batch last weekend?

Members don't see this ad :)
He's an IS applicant from 4th district.

They met to decide this past weekend...and were done Monday..so there is no way he got the letter last weekend when Linda even said the 15th was the earliest...just saying

"Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything through prayer and petition present your requests to God, and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and mind in Christ Jesus"

What's up with the multi day span to mail stuff, do they not have a very big mailbox?

:D No, I'm pretty sure the UAMS post office could handle it if they wanted to send them out all at once. Or maybe they actually take them somewhere to mail, I'm not sure (but I don't know why it'd be necessary). I believe it had something to do with trying to stagger the mailings so that the highest number of people as possible would get their letters on the same day, or at least that's what I recall. That relies on post office consistency and their ability to predict how long it will actually take mail to reach places, but they've done a pretty good job in the past. I received my letter the same day as friends in Missouri, other parts of Arkansas closer to Little Rock, and a variety of other states according to posts I saw on SDN that day.

That is to say they should mail out to OOS from California first :O ...

The staggered mailings are probably just a logistics thing. Sending out ~500 responses in one day would be an intense amount of work for the 4 people working in the admissions department, considering that they're already slammed at this time of year, anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!
29O
3.44 GPA
District 2

Last edited:
congrats everyone!
I'm in southern Arkansas

I got the letter today placing me on the alternate list.

I am so disappointed, but I am a non-traditional student so this was kind of expected.

I applied with a
3.73 from UAMS Graduate School (Physiology M.S.)
28 MCAT
Letters of recommendation many doctors
Interview? who knows how that went...I thought well!

Anyways, in the packet it talks in detail of the Rural Practice Program. I wish I could deliberate my position on the list of alternates before I made the gamble...

Any advice?

thanks...long time peruser of sdn

The alternate list is not a bad place to be. A lot of people get in from the list. Based on last year, the down side is there was little if any movement on the list till mid May, so be ready to wait. :(

in my case however, uams is the only school I applied too...

Its really the only school I want to go to because my wife and I live here.

I hope I am near the top of the alternate list...although from what I understand the list morphs based on which type of accepted student decides to go elsewhere (hearsay).

admissions said that in no way should the rural practice program be used to gain admissions in to medical school...so i will attend an informational meeting to decided...idk.

uuugghhh. :xf:

RAPTORECO:

Are you going to attend UAMS?

Not sure yet...need to run the financials, and a few other considerations. Hard choices ahead.

Got accepted! Wahooo!

I'm away from home so my mother received the letter this morning. She called me to let me know and I promptly started screaming and jumping all over the place. The other students thought I was having a seizure.

Congrats guys! Accepted as well!

GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 28
District 1

I just woke up (worked all night) and got on here and saw several people got accepted or wait-listed, so I ran outside to check the mail and there was no packet or anything from UAMS.....WTF...come on USPS!!

I just woke up (worked all night) and got on here and saw several people got accepted or wait-listed, so I ran outside to check the mail and there was no packet or anything from UAMS.....WTF...come on USPS!!

Sounds like tomorrow is your day then! Good luck!

Anyone know if UAMS has a "second look" weekend?

Sounds like tomorrow is your day then! Good luck!

Thanks man...congrats to you sir....I can imagine how excited and relieved you are!! Enjoy it!!

First off, congratulations to all those that have received their acceptances! I know there are a lot more of you out there reading than posting too, so congrats to you guys as well! For those of you that got waitlisted, I know it can seem discouraging, but it is a good thing overall. For those of you that weren't offered spots, feel free to reach out to us on here if you have questions or concerns about potentially reapplying next year. A lot of us took a year or more off before med school too so there will be all kinds of suggestions for what you can do if you decide to take a year and reapply in the 2012 cycle.

I got the letter today placing me on the alternate list.

I am so disappointed, but I am a non-traditional student so this was kind of expected.

I applied with a
3.73 from UAMS Graduate School (Physiology M.S.)
28 MCAT
Letters of recommendation many doctors
Interview? who knows how that went...I thought well!

Anyways, in the packet it talks in detail of the Rural Practice Program. I wish I could deliberate my position on the list of alternates before I made the gamble...

Any advice?

thanks...long time peruser of sdn
As others have said, the waitlist isn't a bad place to be. It's a lot better than being declined, after all. I would spend some time and really think about if before I committed to Rural Practice. Yes, it will get you in off the waitlist much faster, but unless you are absolutely sure (beyond a shadow of a doubt) that you want to do primary care and you're comfortable doing it in small town Arkansas, I don't recommend it. For some people that's a perfect fit, but many others think that is what they want to do and then totally change their mind while they are here, and then it's just a mess. I'd encourage talking to Morgan (director of that program, her contact info should be on that packet) about the details and giving it some hard thought.

Not sure yet...need to run the financials, and a few other considerations. Hard choices ahead.
If you don't mind me asking, what other schools are you thinking about? Some on here may be making the same decisions and it might be helpful for you guys to bounce thoughts off each other.

Anyone know if UAMS has a "second look" weekend?
No, there isn't one but that's a good idea... You might contact Linda Dupuy and inquire about that kind of event (I'm telling you it doesn't exist, but you asking would let them know there is interest in such a thing) and what she would recommend in place of that. I would be willing to show you around on a more relaxed/less structured format any time and set aside some time for you to grill me with questions as you make your decisions (as I'm sure several others on here would be willing to do), so if something like that would help let me know.

Last edited:
Congratulation guys!!

MJM09,

I'd really be interested in seeing a few things that were omitted in the tour (library, anatomy Lab, etc).t

I was accepted to 2 Texas schools, and still have an interview in the northeast yet to go.

In Texas, they have a law for veterans to pick up the tab once the gi bill is exhausted, so I need to make sure things work out right moneywise before my final decision.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who got in! If you're waitlisted, don't despair, for there's a lot of waitlist movement. I echo what Matt said about the Rural Practice Program, but keep in mind that you will be accepted if you do it. Just food for thought.

For what it's worth, I'm also more than happy to show people around and/or grab some lunch or a beer or whatever so you can toss out whatever questions you may have. I'm unofficially done with school, so I have nothing but time. Whenever works for you works for me. Of course, we can always answer any question you have here, too.

Congrats to all who got in!! I remember when I got the news, I cried like a baby!! I'm also available if you all need a non-official tour. The waitlist moves a LOT so don't worry too much about that.

TraumaJunky I like your quote!!! But dont forget to read it from now till the mailman shows up tomorrow! Buena Suerte!!!

MJM09,

I'd really be interested in seeing a few things that were omitted in the tour (library, anatomy Lab, etc).t

I was accepted to 2 Texas schools, and still have an interview in the northeast yet to go.

In Texas, they have a law for veterans to pick up the tab once the gi bill is exhausted, so I need to make sure things work out right moneywise before my final decision.

Sure. The anatomy lab may or may not be able to be shown depending on timing and what they have going on in there, but as far as labs go that I've seen, it's pretty nice. I can't remember what year they redid it but it doesn't seem that old and there's actually plenty of space to work which seems to be a rarity at some places. Here is a 360 view of the lab from the middle room: http://anatomy.uams.edu/AnatomyHTML/qtvr_lab.html

The library is easy enough to show you around but they're about to start up some construction on it (areas are being redesigned and remodeled supposedly, which is overdue in my opinion) so what you see now may not be too similar to what it looks like come August, since the deadline to have the work done is by then. I was a library rat most of first year and then got tired of that place and started studying elsewhere but it is good to know what your study options are on campus.

Like I said to MrMatt, if you're considering coming back to Little Rock to poke around as you make a decision feel free to hit me up and I'll show you around and answer questions as best I can. I know money is a big factor though, so good luck crunching the numbers.

Congrats to everyone, and good thoughts to the wait listers. As Al said, there is normally a ton of movement - especially around early may.

I will also add that Al has been a tremendous resource for the last few years for the people starting, so listen to what he says. (He's got a list somewhere on here with a list of what books to buy and avoid that is gold. I have slightly different takes, but it's pretty close)

As for myself, I'm an M1, non-trad, who has lived in LR for most of my adult life. So any questions regarding getting around, looking for a place, logistics, inside baseball and such, fire away - here or PM. You guys should have also COM Class of 2016 Facebook page set up soon - join it. It is my classes primary way of disseminating information.

Keep in mind, the curriculum is changing pretty drastically for you guys (and us) next year - so we might not be able to provide perfect guidance there, but I'm sure there is plenty carrying over that we can help with. And if anyone is on town and wants a tour (I'm not sure if we can get you in the gross lab, but about anywhere else is probably ok), or even needs a place to stay, let me know.

Be proud. You've earned this. Call everyone you know. Facebook it. Enjoy the anticipation. Soon enough you'll be in le merde and questioning your sanity for doing this.

KFS

And a word to those who did not get accepted. I've been there, so have a lot of people who are in med school right now. It sucks right now, and you've every right to be upset. But think about what you can do for the next application and if you have ANY intention of reapplying to UAMS, arrange a meeting or call with Tom South (wait a few weeks, thought). His advice is rock-solid.

One more thing. Linda DuPuy is your new best friend. Never hesitate to ask her any questions. She is VERY helpful in the run-up to school starting.

Nochmara--I was non-trad too and got in from the waitlist. I would caution against the rural practice but that depends on what your plans are after school. If you are going to practice in what constitutes a rural area anyway then go for it. I did not and got my acceptance in mid may when the first wave of waitlisters find out. It will pretty much gaurantee acceptance though if you do the rural. Good luck, the extra wait is worth it. We had a student get in on the day before orientation.

I'd really like to hear what some of the current/past students have to say about living on campus throughout medical school (pros & cons, etc.). Anyone know where I can get some good input?

No go this year....guess I'm moving out of state...

I'd really like to hear what some of the current/past students have to say about living on campus throughout medical school (pros & cons, etc.). Anyone know where I can get some good input?
From me. I lived on campus during my first year. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it. The space is very small, especially if you're a fan of cooking, and it's reasonably expensive for what you get. For comparison, I live in a ~2000 sq. ft. house with a large, fenced-in yard 2 miles/5 minutes from campus for less than $550/month, including a premium TV/internet package and all utilities. The dorms will run you $600/month for a ~350-400 sq. ft. "studio." The convenience to campus is nice, but you can find a place within walking distance fairly easily.

From me. I lived on campus during my first year. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it. The space is very small, especially if you're a fan of cooking, and it's reasonably expensive for what you get. For comparison, I live in a ~2000 sq. ft. house with a large, fenced-in yard 2 miles/5 minutes from campus for less than $550/month, including a premium TV/internet package and all utilities. The dorms will run you $600/month for a ~350-400 sq. ft. "studio." The convenience to campus is nice, but you can find a place within walking distance fairly easily.

Man, sounds like you got a sweet deal on that one. Thanks for the great advice.

I'd echo most of what Milkman said. I had several friends who lived on campus last year (and a couple that still do) and there's no way I would do it. Part of this is because I was spoiled, I had an 1100 sq. ft. place to myself before moving to Little Rock and I couldn't see myself living in a space smaller than most hotel rooms (getting the 1 bedroom unit is very unlikely, studios are all anyone seems to be able to get first year), but it also just wasn't really worth it cost wise to me. The convenience of the on-campus housing is pretty much impossible to beat (particularly if you are a class goer and remain one by second year, the dorms are right next to the building you'll have class in), but you can find a house near campus for at least a similar price if you don't mind roommates. I live within about a 7-10 minute walk of the classroom in a house that was fully renovated in 08 with two other med students and it normally costs us under $550 a month with utilities included. It's more work to find a rental house near campus I suppose, but there is a lot of turnover in the Hillcrest area in the May-July time period due to people moving away for jobs, residency, etc. so if you look you should be able to find something. If you don't care about walking, there are tons of reputable places to be had.

Sorry to hear traumajunkie, I was routing for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.