2011-2012 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on everyone getting accepted! I'm in-state as well and this is the school I will most likely be attending. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist in previous cycles? I was placed on a "list of high alternates" and was told that my status would be updated in a few weeks. Really nervous since this was my first interview and I only have one more to go :(

Anyone else in the same boat?

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist in previous cycles? I was placed on a "list of high alternates" and was told that my status would be updated in a few weeks. Really nervous since this was my first interview and I only have one more to go :(

Hey all,

For those that have been accepted. Were any of you notified on any other week-day besides Tuesday?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi wmw04001,
I saw that the summarized sheet of cost for UCONN includes the cost for computer for first year students. Does that mean that students have to purchase comps through the school? or we can come in with our own computer? Do you know whether it makes a difference between Mac and PC?
Thanks a bunch!

Hi wmw04001,
I saw that the summarized sheet of cost for UCONN includes the cost for computer for first year students. Does that mean that students have to purchase comps through the school? or we can come in with our own computer? Do you know whether it makes a difference between Mac and PC?
Thanks a bunch!

You have to purchase your computer from the school, its a PC as well. Don't buy a new laptop in the interim.

Last edited:
Hey all,

For those that have been accepted. Were any of you notified on any other week-day besides Tuesday?

I received the email on a Friday, so yes there have been other days. They usually vote on Tuesdays and the acceptance emails can come out at any time.

Last edited:

I've heard that they usually go through the most if not all of the high alternate waitlist from someone that used to be on the admissions committee. So give it some time and keep your head up! :)

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm trying not to worry too much.

So if I'm on the high alternate list does that mean there's a low alternate list?? Lol.

Thanks! I'm trying not to worry too much.

So if I'm on the high alternate list does that mean there's a low alternate list?? Lol.

Yes there is a high, middle and low alternate list actually. So just keep waiting it out. :)

Last edited:
Yes there is a high, middle and low alternate list actually. So just keep waiting it out. :)

The e-mail I received stated that I was an alternate, but gave me no rank (and said that the alternate list would not be ranked until the end of March). Does anyone have insight into why there is a discrepancy between people being ranked now and UConn saying that rankings for alternates could not issue yet? Thanks, and good luck to all!

The e-mail I received stated that I was an alternate, but gave me no rank (and said that the alternate list would not be ranked until the end of March). Does anyone have insight into why there is a discrepancy between people being ranked now and UConn saying that rankings for alternates could not issue yet? Thanks, and good luck to all!

I'm guessing that some candidates that have been evaluated and were told they are high alternates definitely fall into that category for the admissions committee. But the formal ranking of the alternate list in March is consistent with what I have heard from multiple sources.

They make you pay for it anyway (and not at a good price :mad: ) so I'd advise you to not get a new computer. No, there's no way to opt out of this. (They've only recently let us opt out of the school's insurance plan, due to the Affordable Care Act extension of parental coverage until 26.)

They also have not completely stratified the wait list yet, so hang tight.

So glad we get to opt out of the school's insurance plan :D.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey quick question... I was accepted, and I paid my deposit... the only confirmation I got that it was received was the initial auto confirmation. And of course I see on my credit card page that the payment did go through.

Is that how it went for other accepted applicants? Or should I expect a more formal "thank you for reserving a seat in the class" email at some point? Just wondering, not a huge deal or anything.

Hey quick question... I was accepted, and I paid my deposit... the only confirmation I got that it was received was the initial auto confirmation. And of course I see on my credit card page that the payment did go through.

Is that how it went for other accepted applicants? Or should I expect a more formal "thank you for reserving a seat in the class" email at some point? Just wondering, not a huge deal or anything.

Nope I did not receive an email that confirmed that I reserved my seat in the class. However I received the financial aid and second look email, so my spot was definitely reserved. :) To answer your question, what you are experiencing is nothing out of the ordinary for UConn.

Nope I did not receive an email that confirmed that I reserved my seat in the class. However I received the financial aid and second look email, so my spot was definitely reserved. :) To answer your question, what you are experiencing is nothing out of the ordinary for UConn.

ahhh lol thanks for the feedback.

yea, i received the financial aid and second look emails, so with that in mind i'm sure it's all good.

Has anyone sent an "in the area" interview request? By email or phone? UConn seems very unresponsive to applicants, so I'm guessing phone is better but I don't want to intrude at the same time. I'm OOS from Virginia and am planning on coming to Connecticut for a week in March. What days do they have interviews?

Has anyone sent an "in the area" interview request? By email or phone? UConn seems very unresponsive to applicants, so I'm guessing phone is better but I don't want to intrude at the same time. I'm OOS from Virginia and am planning on coming to Connecticut for a week in March. What days do they have interviews?

Interviews on are on Mondays and Fridays only.

Hi,

I was interested in applying to Uconn in the spring/summer and saw that they have both group interviews and individual interviews. I haven't seen many schools with group interviews and was wondering what it is? Is it a bunch of applicants together or you in front of a committee? any comments would be greatly appreciated. I was also wondering about IS preference. Do they also given New England people preference over the rest of the US? Thanks.

Hi,

I was interested in applying to Uconn in the spring/summer and saw that they have both group interviews and individual interviews. I haven't seen many schools with group interviews and was wondering what it is? Is it a bunch of applicants together or you in front of a committee? any comments would be greatly appreciated. I was also wondering about IS preference. Do they also given New England people preference over the rest of the US? Thanks.

The group interview is not a committee, you sit at a large conference table with the Director of Admissions and he pulls out some info on your file and you all have a large informal discussion on some of the things you've done up to this point. Its not a big deal, one girl even talked about her experiences as a bartender and we started talking about mixed drinks. I doubt they give preference to anyone other than CT residents considering they are 80% in-state. You could probably argue you're comfortable living in the area but I doubt being a New England-er will give you any preference vs. the preference shown in-state. Just apply! Doesn't hurt. :luck:

Hi,

I'm not sure if there's an admissions preference for New England residents, but U Conn does offer reduced tuition to New Englanders. See here. From what I understand, this only really matters for the first year, as most OOS students obtain in-state residency for the second year and beyond.

Received an email saying I was placed on the "list of alternates." Has anyone had their email say something along the lines of being placed on a "high" alternate list? Or are all the emails the same?

Also, what are the chances of getting an acceptance if I was placed on the "list of alternates" and not the "high" list of alternates? Not feeling too good anymore about this...thought I nailed the interview too.

Received an email saying I was placed on the "list of alternates." Has anyone had their email say something along the lines of being placed on a "high" alternate list? Or are all the emails the same?

Also, what are the chances of getting an acceptance if I was placed on the "list of alternates" and not the "high" list of alternates? Not feeling too good anymore about this...thought I nailed the interview too.

Even if you did nail the interview, a lot still goes into the decision. They give a thorough review of all your activites, GPA and MCAT score and make a decision based on the sum of your application. A good interview only goes so far if other parts of your application are lacking (GPA and MCAT score standards are higher than they have ever been at UConn).

They don't formally rank the alternate list until the end of March I believe. So sit tight until then. From the people I know who used to be on the admissions committee, they usually go through most, if not all of the high alternate list, sometimes dipping into the "middle" alternate list.

Does anyone remember the next time the committee will meet? I thought she said the 24th, but then I was told it is the second and fourth Tuesday of every month :confused:

that's pretty consistent with what i've heard, which means next week right? It seems to me that UCONN admissions slacks from time to time with getting back to students (knocks on wood). I'm hoping to hear back for a decision soon as well...I need some closure haha.

They usually meet every other Tuesday. Just give it time (I know it's hard to wait believe me).

Interviewed on 2/6 and was supposed to go to committee vote this week. I called the admissions office this morning and she told me there's a group of us that are back logged and we would hear something by the end of the month...and the wait continues. :/

For anyone else going to second look this weekend, how are you guys planning on dressing? A friend attending a second look at another school mentioned having to wear a suit, but I'm guessing that's not the case for UConn since they haven't said anything about that?

Thanks for entertaining this admittedly ludicrous question, and best of luck to those still waiting to hear back! :luck:

I emailed one of the people organizing the Second Look event-- she said there was no dress code and to wear whatever you're comfortable in.

Just got off the phone with the admissions office. They made all decisions last night so we should be hearing something soon for those still waiting!

Just got off the phone with the admissions office. They made all decisions last night so we should be hearing something soon for those still waiting!

you think the method of delivery will be email?

not a lot of activity on this thread but i still have questions! lol

so.... i've been accepted.... and part of the financial aid application is to send in a copy of your parents federal tax returns... and my parents are a bit apprehensive about this.

its not that there is any lying or problems on their tax returns. its just that this is more than other schools are looking for. does anyone on here know why uconn needs this info? I guess it's moot though, since i've pretty much talked my parents into sending in the info... lol.

also, second question:

the uconn acceptance letter mentioned uconn sending more info to accepted students at appropriate intervals. So far, all I've really gotten is the financial aid email and the second look email. when can i expect to receive emails relating to health clearance forms and transcripts? just wondering, i'd assume they will come mid/late spring...

hey there. I was wondering if you were you on the waitlist or just waiting for your initial decision?

Waiting for my initial. I should also add that I called back that afternoon and they told me there were actually still some they didn't get to including me. Next meeting is April 3rd.

you think the method of delivery will be email?

If I'm not mistaken (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone) they notify you by email and I think last year some people received phone calls but I'd def say keep an eye on your email.

Yea, I'm pretty sure it's email. I'm just waiting for a wait-list response. My email said that they would make a decision sometime soon. thanks for the response.

Anyone know when they make decisions on the waitlist? Also, If you didn't get the "high alternate" e-mail, is it safe to assume you have a very slim chance?

Anyone else still waiting on initial post-interview decision? I interviewed February 6th and still no word...ugh.

Anyone know when they make decisions on the waitlist? Also, If you didn't get the "high alternate" e-mail, is it safe to assume you have a very slim chance?

I was discussing with my friend who's a 3rd year and once was on the committee. He said may 15th is when students have to make a decision to hold 1 acceptance, so realistically we may not get a waitlist decision until after then, despite whatever timelines they initially gave us. Sad, but a real possibility. I just can't wait for the waiting to be over.

I was discussing with my friend who's a 3rd year and once was on the committee. He said may 15th is when students have to make a decision to hold 1 acceptance, so realistically we may not get a waitlist decision until after then, despite whatever timelines they initially gave us. Sad, but a real possibility. I just can't wait for the waiting to be over.
I also have not received a decision and I interviewed mid February. Does anyone have any idea when we will hear?

this is just speculation, but I suspect that UCONN gave out it's acceptances for the year a while ago - They usually dole out 2 acceptances for every 1 seat. Right now, they could potentially be waiting on the ratio to come back down before giving out any more acceptances. My May 15th comment was just because that's when it has to come down to some degree. I'm not sure though...Just speculation.

I also have not received a decision and I interviewed mid February. Does anyone have any idea when we will hear?

Secretary told me she knows they plan on sending decisions very soon and to call if I don't hear by the end of next week......they've been giving me the runaround since march 6th though so I guess we'll see.

this is just speculation, but I suspect that UCONN gave out it's acceptances for the year a while ago - They usually dole out 2 acceptances for every 1 seat. Right now, they could potentially be waiting on the ratio to come back down before giving out any more acceptances. My May 15th comment was just because that's when it has to come down to some degree. I'm not sure though...Just speculation.

Yeah they were essentially done giving out seats back in January, heard this from an adcomm member during second look. Only really exceptional candidates get accepted in Feb, March, and April. But once May 15th rolls around they will most likely have to dip into their waitlist, because people will be choosing other schools.

Thanks man. It's good to confirm. I would love to go to UCONN - A great education for less as an in-state, but I'm lucky to have an acceptance to a great school already.

Has anyone received their financial aid package yet? I submitted FAFSA and sent in the requested materials a long time ago and haven't heard anything back.

Has anyone received their financial aid package yet? I submitted FAFSA and sent in the requested materials a long time ago and haven't heard anything back.

According to the FA office, we will probably get word this week (sometime around Wednesday).

Status
Not open for further replies.