2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, see my posts above about the same issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you guys able to check which campus you will be at online? For those with petition letters, where did you send them? Thanks in advance!

I received my site placement in the mail earlier this week. My letter is dated two days after I turned in my site preference card. If you need to petition for a different site, I would send it to the admissions office.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email that notified me that my award letter had been updated. After going to my.uic.edu > finances > award letter, I reviewed it and all was well. But from there, I saw a few tabs toward the top of the page, which led me to some information that I wanted to verify with an SDNer.

I clicked on the 'Registration and Records' tab > Student Records and Transcripts > View Student Information (choose term and submit).

Under curriculum information, it states "Campus: Chicago".

As of now, I am assigned to the UPR track, but I petitioned for Chicago last month. Can someone else that is assigned to UPR verify what it states next to campus? I'm wondering if this means that I am currently assigned to Chicago, but have yet to be notified.

Thanks

I am in the UPR track, did not petition, and have Chicago listed as my campus in the same place

I was assigned to UPR as well and I also have Chicago listed as the campus. I checked with another friend assigned to UPR, and that was also the case. Patiently waiting for a response to my petition...

I am in the UPR track, did not petition, and have Chicago listed as my campus in the same place

I figured this, since Chicago is the main medical campus. Thanks for verifying.

Hi guys- I sent an email withdrawing my acceptance from a spot on the Chicago campus (hopefully one of you all get it!) and was wondering if any one who also has withdrawn from u of I got a confirmation email back from them once they did this? I just want to make sure I'm not longer holding multiple acceptances. Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Congrats to all the new admissions, as well as to those who received site transfers. Willing to answer any questions you have about the Chicago campus as you guys get ready for next year.

financial aid letter is downright disturbing.. im not really sure what i should be doing at this point ugh..

anyone have words of widom?!

Hi guys- I sent an email withdrawing my acceptance from a spot on the Chicago campus (hopefully one of you all get it!) and was wondering if any one who also has withdrawn from u of I got a confirmation email back from them once they did this? I just want to make sure I'm not longer holding multiple acceptances. Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Check your status page. My friend withdrew and it should say something along the lines of "withdrawn from consideration"

financial aid letter is downright disturbing.. im not really sure what i should be doing at this point ugh..

anyone have words of widom?!

Drink. And try to ignore the fact that $10 in drinks is more like $100 after interest :smuggrin:

I kid. It's more like $17.

It's a burden, but don't focus on the money. I know people that would give up organs to get into a US medical school. It's a privilege to learn how to practice medicine and learn how to heal the human body. There are many people in the world that have financial troubles, but few that have the privilege we do. I'd like to think what we do is bigger than money. I might also be a little drunk.

Last edited:
Drink. And try to ignore the fact that $10 in drinks is more like $100 after interest :smuggrin:

I kid. It's more like $17.

It's a burden, but don't focus on the money. I know people that would give up organs to get into a US medical school. It's a privilege to learn how to practice medicine and learn how to heal the human body. There's many people in the world that have financial troubles, but few that have the privilege we do. I'd like to think what we do is bigger than money. I might also be a little drunk.

:laugh:

Excellent answer, nonetheless! :thumbup:

Any OOS here got the tuition waiver prior to May 15th?

Members don't see this ad :)
when does orientation and first day of classes start for the chicago campus? i couldn't remember if it was late aug or early aug.

when does orientation and first day of classes start for the chicago campus? i couldn't remember if it was late aug or early aug.

I believe orientation starts August 14th, white coat ceremony is August 18th, and classes begin August 20th.

Interesting. The academic calendar website for uic grad school says first day of classes is aug 27. Also in my packet from urbana it says orientation starts aug 21 and classes start the 27th. Its kind of weird that the diff campuses start at diff times...can anyone confirm?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Interesting. The academic calendar website for uic grad school says first day of classes is aug 27. Also in my packet from urbana it says orientation starts aug 21 and classes start the 27th. Its kind of weird that the diff campuses start at diff times...can anyone confirm?

When I emailed them back in January asking about the earliest we have to be there, in order to plan around it, here's what Dean Lantz emailed me back with:

".M1 Orientation is the week of August 12-17 and attendance is required. Specifically, Tuesday August 14 is called "Tasks Day" whereby you turn in numerous forms, meet with VA Hospital staff about their substantial paperwork, get fingerprinted by VA and background check people, get fitted for your white coat, have your picture taken, meet M2s, do respirator fit testing, and more. Each student is assigned a specific time to come and it takes 90 minutes or more to do everything. In particular, the respirator fit, VA piece, and background check are not things to miss. Then Wed and Thurs are full day Orientation sessions for all students with presentations about the curriculum, meet course directors, meet your small groups, academic support services, student activities fair, and more. Saturday morning is the White Coat Ceremony which is a very nice event.. Additionally, there are social activities Tues, Wed and Thurs nights where you meet your classmates. In summary, please plan to attend everything.."

Doesn't talk about what happens on August 12th or 13th, but I think "week of August 12-17 and attendance is required" is pretty clear anyway. I don't know, maybe the 12th and 13th are less required than the 14th...if I really needed those days for something else, I'd probably email her back and find out for sure.

EDIT: Derp, should probably mention that this is for the CHICAGO campus!

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. I was told the dates about the Chicago campus at second look.

When I emailed them back in January asking about the earliest we have to be there, in order to plan around it, here's what Dean Lantz emailed me back with:

".M1 Orientation is the week of August 12-17 and attendance is required. Specifically, Tuesday August 14 is called “Tasks Day” whereby you turn in numerous forms, meet with VA Hospital staff about their substantial paperwork, get fingerprinted by VA and background check people, get fitted for your white coat, have your picture taken, meet M2s, do respirator fit testing, and more. Each student is assigned a specific time to come and it takes 90 minutes or more to do everything. In particular, the respirator fit, VA piece, and background check are not things to miss. Then Wed and Thurs are full day Orientation sessions for all students with presentations about the curriculum, meet course directors, meet your small groups, academic support services, student activities fair, and more. Saturday morning is the White Coat Ceremony which is a very nice event.. Additionally, there are social activities Tues, Wed and Thurs nights where you meet your classmates. In summary, please plan to attend everything.."

Doesn't talk about what happens on August 12th or 13th, but I think "week of August 12-17 and attendance is required" is pretty clear anyway. I don't know, maybe the 12th and 13th are less required than the 14th...if I really needed those days for something else, I'd probably email her back and find out for sure.

EDIT: Derp, should probably mention that this is for the CHICAGO campus!

Super helpful, thank you!

thanks phnerd and catburr, it's just odd that they would start the campuses at diff. times since i thought the curriculums were supposed to be the same, etc....weird. helpful info though!

thanks phnerd and catburr, it's just odd that they would start the campuses at diff. times since i thought the curriculums were supposed to be the same, etc....weird. helpful info though!

Ha as you get into it, you'll find out the campuses might supposed to be the same, but there's a lot of variation. UPR M1's don't even get a White Coat ceremony until their M2 year, unlike the Chicago students.

Ha as you get into it, you'll find out the campuses might supposed to be the same, but there's a lot of variation.

Figures! Good to know though.

UPR M1's don't even get a White Coat ceremony

I totally reacted right here and was like, wtf?!

until their M2 year, unlike the Chicago students.

Then I finished reading the sentence. Still, isn't that unusual to do the white coat ceremony after a year?

Still, isn't that unusual to do the white coat ceremony after a year?

Yeah, definitely unorthodox. Since the site where you go your M2 year will be your site for 3 years, the Peoria/Rockford sites prefer to hold off so they can do the White Coats for their own students.

It is kinda weird to get your white coat after you've already been wearing a white coat in the hospital for a year. But there's also some sort of feeling of accomplishment, getting the coat after surviving the trials of M1 year. Just one of the many small differences among the campuses.

yes, I withdrew this morning, hopefully this opens up a spot for someone. Good luck!

for the people who are withdrawing, can you please say which campus you're w/d'ing from? also if anyone else lucky enough to get a site placement appeal granted would let us know that'd be helpful!

Hey, just wanted to say congratulations to those who are accepted, and good luck to those waiting.

I myself am deferred in South Korea as of now, but coming home in 2 months to join you guys for our first day of orientation~~!!

I am oddly excited to get bogged down in textbooks?~!

EDIT:
Fyi,

For Chicago campus, orientation begins August 13th, and classes start the following Monday. As for Urbana...ewwww. My girlfriend is from Urbana...and I have visited her family many times, I am so glad I wont be there lol. She too is glad we get to continue living in Chicago lol. But, for those at Urbana, it wont matter too much since...you will always be busy anyhow.

Source: Father works at the medical school.

Last edited:
thinking about withdrawing... the OOS tuition is just too much to justify.. i really liked the place tho..I am in chicago and also in UMED... sigh.. does UIC offer anything to justify at least 140k+ more in debt after 4 years?

thinking about withdrawing... the OOS tuition is just too much to justify.. i really liked the place tho..I am in chicago and also in UMED... sigh.. does UIC offer anything to justify at least 140k+ more in debt after 4 years?

i know right? I just got done reading every single post of this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=663924&page=6

and im in-state but the total in loans (before interest) is almost 300K. i am SO WORRIED!!!!

does UIC offer anything to justify at least 140k+ more in debt after 4 years?

If you have another respectable option (which is probably cheaper), I would lean towards that school. Simply put, the full OOS tuition at UIC is just too high to justify, unless it is your only option.

One thing to point out about UIC that can be worthy to some is the high percentage of grads that match into respectable residency programs in Chicago. If this means anything to you, which I doubt considering you are OOS, and your other options are not in Chicago, then maybe UIC will be worth it. With that said, there is no guarantee that you will match into the program/city you like, and you can definitely match into a Chicago residency from any school in the US.

You can try posting a new thread in this forum that discusses your options, but idk how much help that would be. Best of luck making your decision.

UIC just called me saying i was holding multiple acceptances when i just got off the WL at another school ytd.. and pressured me to make a decision by Monday even though the other school gives me 2 weeks.. like seriously? such a turn off..

Withdrew this week as well (was assigned Urbana). Good luck, everyone!:)

Visionary! Or anyone who might know..I've been searching like crazy trying to find how's the academic year calendar for all four years at chicago, when we would have breaks and stuff and I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know were I could find it or does anyone have this info? Thanks!!

btw flakpilot, did you decide on UIC? are you gonna be in Chicago or Urbana? aren't you OOS though...maybe you got OOS tuition waiver? In any case, see you soon!

withdrew today.. from chicago campus and the UMED program.. damn the tuition =(

For those that petitioned, when/where do you get the results of your petition?

I called on Monday to make sure they received my letter and they told me "You'll receive a call if it's granted". They did not confirm what happens if it is not granted...

did you get an e-mail? my status still says decision pending.

No, my status page says "applicant is wait listed" instead of decision pending now

Status
Not open for further replies.