2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone recieved any financial aid from this school that isnt an unsubsidized loan? more likely someone that is out of state?
Based on past years postings, the only aide other than loans they give out is a tuition waiver for IS tuition to OOS minority students. So even if you're a dirt poor OOS student with 3 dependents, unless you're an under represented minority you are taking straight loans to the tune of $95-128k per year.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on past years postings, the only aide other than loans they give out is a tuition waiver for IS tuition to OOS minority students. So even if you're a dirt poor OOS student with 3 dependents, unless you're an under represented minority you are taking straight loans to the tune of $95-128k per year.

I'm an OOS minority student and haven't received a tuition waiver for IS tuition... I thought these were scholarships that only 25 OOS minority students received each year? Or am I confusing it with something else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on April 10th. Feeling very fortunate. I'll do my best to keep folks updated on here.

Just wanted to point out that you don't have to be URM to qualify for this scholarship. I'm white and I received this scholarship. I did mark disadvantaged, so maybe that's the other qualifier.

Just wanted to point out that you don't have to be URM to qualify for this scholarship. I'm white and I received this scholarship. I did mark disadvantaged, so maybe that's the other qualifier.
Like I said, I was just basing my response off of what's been posted over the last few years. I also checked economically disadvantaged on my application, listed that I've been on food stamps and WIC within the last year on my FAFSA and AMCAS, was only able to afford applying to schools because of the FAP, and have 3 dependants. Who knows how they make the determination for the waiver?

Last edited:
Got my site assignment in the mail today - Chicago! So excited and relieved. Will I see anybody here in the fall?

I got my site assignment today as well. Got placed in UPR, unfortunately. I will definitely be petitioning. My letter was handed into the office last Tuesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was mailed last Monday, and I live pretty close so I think it was received the next day.

ChiCity - you should definitely petition if you're unhappy. Hopefully they're receptive to that! Good luck!

Thanks, I hope so too. But congratulations, and I hope to be classmates with you next year!

It was mailed last Monday, and I live pretty close so I think it was received the next day.

ChiCity - you should definitely petition if you're unhappy. Hopefully they're receptive to that! Good luck!

Gotcha. I didn't send mine in until last Friday, so I probably won't hear for another week and a half or so. Thanks!

I got the additional correspondence tab 2-3 weeks ago and got the packet in the mail a week before last Saturday.

Thanks. This should put to rest the idea that the Chicago campus completely fills up in February and that there's no chance of getting in with a late acceptance. Congrats on your admission!

Got my site assignment in the mail today - Chicago! So excited and relieved. Will I see anybody here in the fall?

Congrats on your assignment. I was assigned to UPR-Peoria, so I will be withdrawing from UIC. Good luck to the rest of you guys.

My application still says Applicant in process. I guess they won't even bother to change it to pre-interview rejection. I heard the last interview was April 16

Does anyone who interviewed recently know if the admissions committee met yesterday, or have any change from "decision pending?"

Does anyone know the major differences between the UPR and Chicago tracks in terms of residencies? I was placed in UPR and am deciding if I should petition or not. I already looked at the match lists and there were not as many students in UPR who were accepted into programs that I'm interested in (orthopedics).
On a side, is it true that students in Rockford can do rotations at the Chicago campus in M3 and M4?
Thanks everyone!

On a side, is it true that students in Rockford can do rotations at the Chicago campus in M3 and M4?
Thanks everyone!

That is my understanding. If spots available, Chicago rotations do not count as away rotations.

I heard they met today but I do not have any change in status either and I interviewed March 30th

i interviewed in september and i havent heard anything from them

My status changed this past Wednesday to:

"A final decision was made on your application on . Please allow two-weeks to receive the correspondence in the mail. If you do not receive this correspondence in two-weeks, please contact the Admissions Office. No decision will be given over the telephone."

I'm confused as to why they didn't put a date on the decision.

The same happened to me. I called and they said it could mean a few things:
1. A decision was actually made during a time when the committee didn't meet (they meet this thursday I think) which on the occasion can happen which in our case is bad because that status is indicative of a rejection according to this thread
2. There was a random system update and it means nothing...

Either way if our status remains the same after Thursday I guess it's bad news and we wait for the letter. If it does change then awesome.... But decisions are usually made during the meetings so I think we have that going for us

@nikev
@danmo

the sdn forums say no date followed immediately by a period means no acceptance.
scroll back a few pages in this particular thread-- i think Snoop or someone has posted an acceptance jargon flowchart in reference to UIC COM.

i.e.:
"a decision was made on your application on 04-22-12." = acceptance
vs
"a decision was made on your application on ." = rejection

although good luck, and hopefully you were both accepted

Got the additional correspondence tab today, final decision made 4/23/12.
Interviewed 4/9/12, I'm guessing this is an acceptance. Just an info for those that are waiting. Good luck everyone!

Got the additional correspondence tab today, final decision made 4/23/12.
Interviewed 4/9/12, I'm guessing this is an acceptance. Just an info for those that are waiting. Good luck everyone!

When you interviewed, did they say anything about how many more acceptances they still have to give out?

When you interviewed, did they say anything about how many more acceptances they still have to give out?

I actually did not ask specifically how many more acceptances will be given out for the last two interview dates and for those that are still waiting but I think the dean mentioned that there are still spots available when I interviewed that day...anyone else heard the same thing?

I actually did not ask specifically how many more acceptances will be given out for the last two interview dates and for those that are still waiting but I think the dean mentioned that there are still spots available when I interviewed that day...anyone else heard the same thing?

Yea I actually interviewed with one of the admissions counselors and he said that there are spots and that everybody would know by late April if they got in, were rejected, or were waitlisted. And then he said if you are waitlisted, the day to pick what school you're going to is May 15th so they will update everything to accept some people that made the waitlist originally

Same here...additional correspondance with decision made on 4-23-2012. I hope it is an acceptance!!!

"A final decision was made on your application on 04-23-12. Please allow two-weeks to receive the correspondence in the mail. If you do not receive this correspondence in two-weeks, please contact the Admissions Office. No decision will be given over the telephone."

+ "Additional Correspondence" tab. Interviewed 3/30/12. Crossing my fingers that this means an acceptance!!

A final decision was made on your application on 04-23-12. Please allow two-weeks to receive the correspondence in the mail. If you do not receive this correspondence in two-weeks, please contact the Admissions Office. No decision will be given over the telephone.

+ Additional Correspondence tab.... I hope this is good news!

Just wondering: does it actually say anything right next to Additional Correspondence? or is the tab just empty? Mine just says "Additional Correspondence" and nothing else. is that good or bad news?

So are we thinking the admissions committee is going to meet tomorrow?

I'm pretty sure the adcomm meeting already happened last week based on people getting status updates this past Monday.... But that's just a guess.

I'm pretty sure the adcomm meeting already happened last week based on people getting status updates this past Monday.... But that's just a guess.

This. It already happened. Dunno what happens here on out.

adcom meeting was last week... at least that's what I was told at my interview on 4/12. that the adcom meeting would be the week immediately following, and we should hear back before the month ends..

Is anyone else's status still decision pending?

Yea mine is too. I interviewed March 30th. There have been some other people I interviewed with getting the Additional Correspondence tab already so I'm guessing the best case for us is the waitlist, if not denied

i just got a financial aid email telling me to sign in.. I do have the additional correspondence tab.. does a financial aid email mean that you are already accepted in the system?

For those living in the Chicago area, can someone tell me how long it took between the status changing to Final Decision Made + Additional Correspondence and receiving the acceptance letter?

Yea mine is too. I interviewed March 30th. There have been some other people I interviewed with getting the Additional Correspondence tab already so I'm guessing the best case for us is the waitlist, if not denied

That's when I interviewed too! Well, sucks for us! Good luck with everything

Status
Not open for further replies.