2011-2012 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does UM look at letters before or after they grant an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Does UM look at letters before or after they grant an interview?

according to the admissions flow chart on their website, they do. unless you get an auto-invite.

sigh i wish i read this earlier before i added UMich last second...

Yeah it was kind of disappointing...they were saying about how each application gets 2-5 minutes (average, 3), so if your gpa is lower than their average, they spend like 2.5 mins talking about that, and like 30 seconds on everything else. Sucks. Especially because I was at a forum with the Dean and he went on about how it's a holistic process, and what he cares about the most is passion, and that he'd take a passionate low 3 point over an uninspired 4 point. I feel deceived :(

Members don't see this ad :)
sigh i wish i read this earlier before i added UMich last second...
Your sGPA is one part of your application. If in your case your science GPA is fairly representative of your entire application (ie low totalGPA and MCAT), sure you probably have low chances. But i have to imagine that number isn't exactly spot on given their range last year for GPAs (roughly 3.00-4.00, of course mean is closer to 4.0)

Does anyone care to share insights/strategies regarding the "why this school?" question for MSTP applicants?

Specific department? Like the curricular approach? Interested in a particular faculty member?

If autoinvites could PM me their stats, I'd appreciate it!

Do those of you that have received the secondary mind posting the essay prompts? Or if there aren't any, could you let us know? Thanks in advance!

Essay1: Tell us something you are passionate about and why? (1500 Characters-about 250 words.
Essay 2: At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse, talents, experiences, opinions and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community?
Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

I wonder if it is worth submitting my secondary before my letters are in...

wait how do you find out about the auto-interview? is it after they send you a secondary?

So, on step 2 of this page (http://med.umich.edu/medschool/admissions/apply/path.html), it says that they screen against OOSers with sGPA below 3.2. I didn't see this before I submitted the primary or else I wouldn't have had this school on my list, since I'm below that cutoff. I've been invited to complete a secondary, though. My MCAT is a 37S. Did my MCAT override my GPA, and I'll get looked at when I submit the secondary? Or do they just want my $$$? They seem to be pretty clear on their website...but according to these posted rules, I should not have gotten a secondary invite.

So, on step 2 of this page (http://med.umich.edu/medschool/admissions/apply/path.html), it says that they screen against OOSers with sGPA below 3.2. I didn't see this before I submitted the primary or else I wouldn't have had this school on my list, since I'm below that cutoff. I've been invited to complete a secondary, though. My MCAT is a 37S. Did my MCAT override my GPA, and I'll get looked at when I submit the secondary? Or do they just want my $$$? They seem to be pretty clear on their website...but according to these posted rules, I should not have gotten a secondary invite.

I *believe* they screen after secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)

They don't screen secondaries.

Those of you that have received auto invites OR secondaries, has your AMCAS already been verified? I know schools can upload data from AMCAS before verification and some send secondaries before verification. Thanks

Does anyone know if the auto-invite policy apply to MD/PhD applicants?

Auto-invite!!! Kind of over-excited and nervous and happy right now XDDD

Non-Mich resident
sGPA/cGPA: 3.9+
MCAT: 39P

I was verified on 6/20 and got the invite today, plus the secondary--so I guess the autos come out before secondaries are submitted.

Dunno about MD/PhD.

Does anyone else think it's really cool that the admissions committee has a scoreboard on their website where they keep track of # invites / # total interview slots?

so the auto-interview comes together with the secondary invite?
i guess theres no hope if you already got their secondary today morning?

btw, just looking at the U Mich twitter feed made me realize that in order for auto-interview they have to have your LORs on file? is this correct (will the lucky few who got these please comment?)

Last edited:
U of M does screen OOS secondaries according to the MSAR and the individual on the adcom I met with last week.

Non Michigan resident, crappy undergrad, AUTO INVITE!!

cGPA/sGPA: 3.9+
MCAT: 39Q

@sexycani: I did not (and still don't) have my rec letters in so I guess they don't look at them for auto invites? You do have to have secondary app, along with all supplemental material in two weeks before scheduled interview

Last edited:
Application is officially under review! I'm getting so nervous

yeah it says "File Complete - Under Review" where it used to say amcas verified or w/e

I love that Michigan only accepts Paypal for their secondary.

For Essay 1, should we be discussing a passion that is not medicine related? Are they looking to see what interests you have outside of healthcare, or should my response relate back to my passion for medicine? I would appreciate your advice! Thanks!

For Essay 1, should we be discussing a passion that is not medicine related? Are they looking to see what interests you have outside of healthcare, or should my response relate back to my passion for medicine? I would appreciate your advice! Thanks!

whatever floats your boat dude

It doesn't have to be medically related or circle back to your interest in medicine. I wrote mine about a hobby that wasn't on my AMCAS and didn't have any ties to medicine. I'd personally recommend using this essay as a chance to give the admissions committee more depth about yourself than what they'd find in your PS or primary. But of course, if there's something in your primary that you are extremely passionate about, and it happens to be medically related, certainly write about that if you have more to add. :)

anyone get a non-auto interview invite?

I just applied to this school for a confidence boost.

I'm at the edge for their stats 3.52cGPA/32Q MCAT.

If they give me a secondary, I will be ecstatic.

I just applied to this school for a confidence boost.

I'm at the edge for their stats 3.52cGPA/32Q MCAT.

If they give me a secondary, I will be ecstatic.

Well then get ready to be ecstatic...everyone gets a secondary. Just assume that you'll get secondaries from everyone, because there are probably 2 schools in the entire country that screen for secondaries.

Well then get ready to be ecstatic...everyone gets a secondary. Just assume that you'll get secondaries from everyone, because there are probably 2 schools in the entire country that screen for secondaries.
:thumbdown:

Damn, someone told me that they actually look at the application for 2-3 mins before sending it off...

I should have looked at the school website instead of MSAR and what I was told...

Damn, someone told me that they actually look at the application for 2-3 mins before sending it off...

I should have looked at the school website instead of MSAR and what I was told...

Yes, someone did say that. But that person was referring to the review of applications and supplemental materials for interview invites. But cheer up! I'm crossing my fingers and toes that you'll get an invite :)

for the second question:

"At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community?

do we have to talk about things in our "educational experience" that will uniquely add to the community? or can we talk about life experiences (like immigration, traveling extensively abroad, etc that have given us perpective?)?? like, how will this add to a "superb education community" you know what i mean? im just a bit unsure...

^ I don't think it really matters it just says "experiences" which is pretty vague. I interpret this question as, what makes you as an individual unique?

Ah, I see. Seems that UCSF, UCD, UCI, UCLA, UCSD, Mayo, Vanderbuilt, UNC-Chapel Hill, etc. constitute the 2 schools in the entire country that screen for secondaries.

Ah, I see. Seems that UCSF, UCD, UCI, UCLA, UCSD, Mayo, Vanderbuilt, UNC-Chapel Hill, etc. constitute the 2 schools in the entire country that screen for secondaries.

Just for completeness, also University of Illinois and Wake Forest. :)

Uggghhhhhhh. There's always someone like you, lol. Fine, 2% of the schools screen for secondaries (and yes, I know it's actually closer to 10%). I was being sarcastic dude (or dudette)! My point was that the overwhelming majority of schools do not screen.

Uggghhhhhhh. There's always someone like you, lol. Fine, 2% of the schools screen for secondaries (and yes, I know it's actually closer to 10%). I was being sarcastic dude (or dudette)! My point was that the overwhelming majority of schools do not screen.

I think everyone understood what you meant. :) It's just nice to have a list of places that do, don't you think? It's still a very small list compared to the total number of medical schools in the US.

I think everyone understood what you meant. :) It's just nice to have a list of places that do, don't you think? It's still a very small list compared to the total number of medical schools in the US.

I agree. It's a pain in the butt to sift through alllllllll the schools to find the ones that do, so having a list is nice :)

I got your point. You just came off as being harsh, IMO.

did anyone else get an email from here inviting to apply based on their mcat score?

i got a 33 but im not considering here nor do i plan on blowing an extra $100 or so to get rejected lol. this is like the 3rd email ive gotten from a school that just seems like a generic email inviting me to apply because i recently took the mcat

Status
Not open for further replies.