2011-2012 University of Texas Medical Branch Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you guys fill out the security form? What do we put for our Student P Number?

Withdrew from UTMB today. Hope someone here gets my spot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question 1: Getting pre-matched with UTMB on the TMDSAS application does not mean that you got into UTMB yet right? I am a little bit confused about that.

Question 2: How long does it take to hear back from UTMB after your interview? I interviewed on October 28th.

Thanks!!

Question 1: Getting pre-matched with UTMB on the TMDSAS application does not mean that you got into UTMB yet right? I am a little bit confused about that.

Question 2: How long does it take to hear back from UTMB after your interview? I interviewed on October 28th.

Thanks!!

Getting pre-matched means you got an acceptance! The only requirement after you prematch is basically that you fill up some paper work and graduate with the degree you planned on finishing. And I'm guessing your second question is irrelevant if you already have received a prematch offer from UTMB.

Thanks!!

-A pre-match means you have a guaranteed offer in the class IF you want it. Say I pre-matched here (which I did) and it was my favorite school of those I interviewed at. I would rank it as #1 for the match and I would be guaranteed to match here. You can find more info here: http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/acceptance_Match_info.html

-I interviewed in August, so it was obviously a long time for me to hear back, so I'll let some others answer this one that have interviewed at later dates.

Getting pre-matched means you got an acceptance! The only requirement after you prematch is basically that you fill up some paper work and graduate with the degree you planned on finishing. And I'm guessing your second question is irrelevant if you already have received a prematch offer from UTMB.

DANG, you beat me to it!

-A pre-match means you have a guaranteed offer in the class IF you want it. Say I pre-matched here (which I did) and it was my favorite school of those I interviewed at. I would rank it as #1 for the match and I would be guaranteed to match here. You can find more info here: http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/acceptance_Match_info.html

-I interviewed in August, so it was obviously a long time for me to hear back, so I'll let some others answer this one that have interviewed at later dates.

Thanks!

I'm thinking about sending an update letter here soon; it would be great to be part of the next wave of pre-matches, whenever that comes. My s/o and I have talked and we're pretty sure UTMB is what would work best for us... so everyone who has received an offer thus far, this would be a fantastic time to withdraw. ;) Thanks!

I'm thinking about sending an update letter here soon; it would be great to be part of the next wave of pre-matches, whenever that comes. My s/o and I have talked and we're pretty sure UTMB is what would work best for us... so everyone who has received an offer thus far, this would be a fantastic time to withdraw. ;) Thanks!

I'm going to go back and visit the school one more time, but I think I will be withdrawing pretty soon.

I hope you get in during the next wave of prematches!

I'm going to go back and visit the school one more time, but I think I will be withdrawing pretty soon.

I hope you get in during the next wave of prematches!

Thank you, me too! Congrats on your acceptances so far; per your MDApps it looks like you have some outstanding options.

should have gotten my acceptance packet by now, but apparently they sent it to my permanent address, which does not get mail. This is the second school this has been a problem with. What's the point of filling out the "Mailing Address" section if they aren't going to mail anything to it!?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what to put for the "Start Date" on the nondisclosure agreement? Do we put today's date, or the day that class starts (8/27/12), or something else?

I received an Interview Invite email this morning for Dec 16th. So, yes, UTMB is still assigning interviews! Good luck everyone.

I would like to know this too, please, if anyone has any information. Anyone who interviewed late september been accepted so far?

I don't think they completely skipped over late September interviewees when deciding who gets accepted...

Anyone know what to put for the "Start Date" on the nondisclosure agreement? Do we put today's date, or the day that class starts (8/27/12), or something else?

I put in the date of the orientation.

What was in yall's acceptance packets? did you get like, a real letter of acceptance, or just a bunch of forms about disability, privacy, etc, and one page to accept their offer and sign. Did anyone get a scholarship?
It seems odd that there was no real letter of acceptance in my packet, just making sure something didn't get left out...

never mind, my mom called, she checked the envelope again, there as another envelope inside with the acceptance, but no scholarship.

Last edited:
I don't think they completely skipped over late September interviewees when deciding who gets accepted...

Actually I was wondering whether they've gotten to the late September or beyond interview dates, since no one who posted an acceptance appeared to have interviewed past late August/early September. Obviously, this could just be due to the small sample size of the number of people who posted acceptances here, which is why I'm asking :)

Actually I was wondering whether they've gotten to the late September or beyond interview dates, since no one who posted an acceptance appeared to have interviewed past late August/early September. Obviously, this could just be due to the small sample size of the number of people who posted acceptances here, which is why I'm asking :)

Just to add to your suspicion, I haven't heard anything back and I interviewed late Oct. haha but I do not think they have skipped over anyone; I probably just have not been deemed a top priority yet. But I sure hope they change their mind!

I have been accepted, and I interviewed on October 28th.

So for those of us who are crazy or obsessive:

Per last year's thread, I am predicting one more large batch of pre-matches going out in two weeks or so, with maybe a handful coming later that week. UTMB doesn't intentionally reserve slots for the match, I don't think; while it's possible that you can get in via that route, it doesn't seem incredibly common.

I need to find a way to sleep from now through January without failing any classes. Any ideas?

Is the 16th the last interview date? They have me scheduled for that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No news ever since my September 23 interview... Am I expecting a silent rejection?

No news ever since my September 23 interview... Am I expecting a silent rejection?

I think it will just depend on how many people on the list are still ahead of you. After prematches and match, spots will open.

Last edited:

This is a bit premature, I think. I believe there is one more batch of pre-matches yet to come, if they repeat last year's procedure.

There's still match day... and waitlists. Calm down. :luck:

^ This.

I interviewed Nov 13, which back in 2009, was the day they sent out 400 pre-match offers ... and then proceeded to tell all of us interviewees that they had done that. :eek:

Needless to say, I really didn't expect to get into UTMB... but I did, bright and early Feb 1! And yes waitlists... don't forget them :) People definitely get in off that... one person in our class who is a Houston native actually got in to UT-H like... June or something, and left UTMB to go. Why anyone would leave UTMB is beyond me, but in all fairness, we hadn't started class yet so he just didn't know how awesome it would be :laugh: Oh well!

Any questions - feel free to message me :)

This is a bit premature, I think. I believe there is one more batch of pre-matches yet to come, if they repeat last year's procedure.
I'm from out of state though... I called them last week and they said they are sending out another batch of decisions this month.

So...I haven't gotten any notice of a pre-match offer but when I go to my TMDSAS account, I see that there is an option on my status page for a "pre-match offer withdrawal." Has that happened to anyone? Is it what it seems or just some mistake?

So...I haven't gotten any notice of a pre-match offer but when I go to my TMDSAS account, I see that there is an option on my status page for a "pre-match offer withdrawal." Has that happened to anyone? Is it what it seems or just some mistake?

Is UTMB listed as one of your options to withdraw from? It normally means that you have received a pre-match offer from that school. However, it usually appears on the TMDSAS page a few days after receiving the pre-match offer.

When prematch period began, that tap appeared on TMDSAS automatically. If you have prematch offers from any school, the name of the school will be listed under that tap. If not, then there is nothing under that tap but the tap is still there.

I'm from out of state though... I called them last week and they said they are sending out another batch of decisions this month.

I don't think it really matters whether you're in state or out of state, it looks like they send OOS acceptances at the same time as texas acceptances. You could hear in the next batch of decisions, around match time, or when they start pulling people off the waitlist.

I don't think it really matters whether you're in state or out of state, it looks like they send OOS acceptances at the same time as texas acceptances. You could hear in the next batch of decisions, around match time, or when they start pulling people off the waitlist.

don't they let oos applicants know starting in mid-oct because that's when amcas lets the non-texas schools know? I'd assume from mid oct to mid nov oos applicants receive pre matches and after that they will continue to send them out to out of staters along with the instaters - but that's just my guess.

don't they let oos applicants know starting in mid-oct because that's when amcas lets the non-texas schools know? I'd assume from mid oct to mid nov oos applicants receive pre matches and after that they will continue to send them out to out of staters along with the instaters - but that's just my guess.

well, if any OOS did hear from TMDSAS schools before the prematch day, they didn't post on MD applicants or SDN. I just don't think they'd put the effort into notifying OOS students ahead of IS, even though they could have.

I am really hoping that there is a big batch of pre-matches tomorrow... :xf:

I'm thinking all the schools will let out a ton before the Christmas break as their last pre-matches - at least that's what I'm telling myself as I wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.