2011-2012 University of Texas Medical Branch Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all. There seems to be very little correlation (if any) between when you submit and when you get invited. They might even have you pegged for a later interview date and you don't even know it yet.

hey does anyone know if the threashold to invite you for a re-interview (if you interviewed last year) is higher than for the first time around?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmmm....my app was complete June 24th. Am I hosed?

There appears to be almost no correlation between when your app is received and when you get an interview when it comes to Texas schools, at least among in-state applicants.

Does anyone know any hotels/motels close to UTMB campus?

Do we get to know ahead about time and location of our interview (like office room number)? Is the same building as #55 in the email?

I have no sense of directions:p and would like to look for the room of the interview a day before the actual one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know any hotels/motels close to UTMB campus?

Do we get to know ahead about time and location of our interview (like office room number)? Is the same building as #55 in the email?

I have no sense of directions:p and would like to look for the room of the interview a day before the actual one.

Try to stay with a student host. Save money, live better...

You don't find out your interviewers and their respective rooms till you pick up your interview day packet in the morning.

You most probably will have to change buildings between interviews but don't worry if you get lost. I got lost between my interviews last year and I asked someone random person for help and she didn't know either, so she found another person to help me and they both walked me to the right building. Real nice folks.

Last edited:
You don't find out your interviewers and their respective rooms till you pick up your interview day packet in the morning.

You most probably will have to change buildings between interviews but don't worry if you get lost. I got lost between my interviews last year and I asked someone random person for help and she didn't know either, so she found another person to help me and they both walked me to the right building. Real nice folks.

Thank you !!! When are you starting your classes? What was your interview experience like? Sorry for asking a lot of questions :D

Does anyone know any hotels/motels close to the campus? I am going with a couple of people so I don't think I can stay with a student host.

I am also going to the September 2nd interview! I found out earlier though---mid July. Definitely looking forward to it!!!

Thank you !!! When are you starting your classes? What was your interview experience like? Sorry for asking a lot of questions :D

Does anyone know any hotels/motels close to the campus? I am going with a couple of people so I don't think I can stay with a student host.

Orientation starts August 22nd and welcome weekend is August 20th for MS1's. I'm super stoked about it.

My interview experience at UTMB was actually... bizarre; one of them was awkward and didn't make eye contact and the other one lectured me for 20 minutes. I didn't think I'd get in after those interviews but it all worked out :D

Okay, my story is probably not very helpful/confidence boosting :p

I stayed at the La Quinta on Seawall, decent place. The drive to UTMB was like 10 minutes and there's free visitor parking for interviewees, IIRC.

Orientation starts August 22nd and welcome weekend is August 20th for MS1's. I'm super stoked about it.

My interview experience at UTMB was actually... bizarre; one of them was awkward and didn't make eye contact and the other one lectured me for 20 minutes. I didn't think I'd get in after those interviews but it all worked out :D

Okay, my story is probably not very helpful/confidence boosting :p

I stayed at the La Quinta on Seawall, decent place. The drive to UTMB was like 10 minutes and there's free visitor parking for interviewees, IIRC.

hey im staying there :laugh:

Im super stoked just to be on the campus for interviews.

I'm excited to see ya'll at UTMB tonight and tomorrow that were at the Tech interview on Wednesday - I know a couple of you I met will be there :thumbup:

Does anybody have information on like, how many applications they get, what percent get interviews, what percent gets accepted?

Does anybody have information on like, how many applications they get, what percent get interviews, what percent gets accepted?

This is the data for last year's cycle according to the MSAR

In-state:
Applications received: 2834
Interviewed: 857
Matriculated: 215

In-state:
Applications received: 547
Interviewed: 79
Matriculated: 7

Unfortunately they don't say how many people were accepted. Hope this helps though.

Alrighty, I am getting in my car right now. See you guys at 6:30!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Alrighty, I am getting in my car right now. See you guys at 6:30!!!

+1. Time for me to do the same. Its been a while since i touched a car to drive :laugh:

thanks girl. I got off my ass and pulled my US News Book, it says for fall 2009,
IS: 597 Accepted

and then their enrollment was 211 IS and 18 OS

interestingly, 60 OS students were interviewed, 66 accepted. Not sure how that works, maybe they got interviews later and were not added to the number interviewed.
or US News just mistyped.

Last edited:
thanks girl. I got off my ass and pulled my US News Book, it says for fall 2009,

interestingly, 60 OS students were interviewed, 66 accepted. Not sure how that works, maybe they got interviews later and were not added to the number interviewed.

Hmmm, I saw the same issue with data for international students. 122 applications received, 0 interviewed, 7 matriculated????? Perhaps they deferred from a previous cycle?

This info right here is extremely encouraging, an almost 70% acceptance rate for in-state interviewees? I'll take those chances :thumbup: Are all the TX interview:acceptance ratios so favorable? Sorry to bug ya, I invested in an MSAR but not the News Book :oops:

Good luck on your interviews everyone! I'll be there 2 weeks from tomorrow :luck:

This info right here is extremely encouraging, an almost 70% acceptance rate for in-state interviewees? I'll take those chances :thumbup: Are all the TX interview:acceptance ratios so favorable? Sorry to bug ya, I invested in an MSAR but not the News Book :oops:

Good luck on your interviews everyone! I'll be there 2 weeks from tomorrow :luck:

I would imagine that to be the case, since 90% of the class must be Texas residents according to state law.

I would imagine that to be the case, since 90% of the class must be Texas residents according to state law.

I remember last year (2010) Dr. Rabek told us at the interview that about 50% of those interviewed are accepted. He also said that UTMB fills its class heavily with the pre-match.

Teehee I know that!! I'm just so accustomed to MSAR & seeing the ~7% matriculation rate from all applicants & the ~30% matriculation rate from the interviewees that the 70% was a pleasant surprise. I was just fishing for more sweet stats ;)

Teehee I know that!! I'm just so accustomed to MSAR & seeing the ~7% matriculation rate from all applicants & the ~30% matriculation rate from the interviewees that the 70% was a pleasant surprise. I was just fishing for more sweet stats ;)

Hmmm, maybe I should've invested in the US News book too.

It's only $20 and acceptance statistics are way more confidence boosting than matriculant stats :thumbup:

I don't think so, recalling my princeton review med guide, I believe Galveston accepts the highest percent OOS of public Texas schools. I could be wrong, I misplaced that book, but that's how I remember it.

My bad, wrong quote. Anyway, Galveston accepts the most OOS, so yeah, Texas kids have an advantage at other schools. Galveston was first on my list for a while since I'm OOS, now that I got an interview there I'm stoked. Just have to not bomb it. Too bad it's my first. Fingers crossed.

scratch that, found my princeton review med guide (yay), and last year san antonio accepted the highest % OOS.

I don't think so, recalling my princeton review med guide, I believe Galveston accepts the highest percent OOS of public Texas schools. I could be wrong, I misplaced that book, but that's how I remember it.

Okay then never mind, I take back what I said. Good think you have this US News book :thumbup:

Oops, just checked your mdapps and realized you are a TX resident :oops:

Alright did any of you guys end up going to the social today? I was the hispanic guy with the pink shirt sitting in the middle of the big table. I'll be wearing a grey suit tomorrow, holla at me if you see me!!

Alright did any of you guys end up going to the social today? I was the hispanic guy with the pink shirt sitting in the middle of the big table. I'll be wearing a grey suit tomorrow, holla at me if you see me!!

I think i did. I was too busy talking with the med student :laugh:

MD/PhD interview invite for October 14th! Very excited... First interview offer!

so to the people who had interview today, how was your experience???

What was everyone's opinions on today's interview? I thought it went well but nothing really impressed me. I do like the half day schedule and the ability to skip classes if you want (I'm not much of a classgoer in undergrad). The students definitely seem to like it.

I liked the school quite a bit. I'd like to give a shot-out to Dr.Hiner. You did a great job in the tour :D

Everyone was really friendly today. Lunch was pretty good too:laugh:

UTMB! GALVESTON

-Interviews are INCREDIBLY LAID BACK, they did not have our MCAT/GPA scores during the interview (hope you have the morning interviews :thumbup: because it is BLAZING HOT in the afternoon)
-Tons of opportunities at UTMB --> global health track, bilingual health, translational research, rural medicine, humanities, public health, aerospace medicine, MD/MPH, MD/MS, MD/PHD
-You have the opportunity to do 1-2 months of your clinical rotations in the PRISON Hospital (it's on lockdown and you need clearance to enter ... ) this is a very unique opportunity. Also, If you want to do clinical rotations in Houston or other cities that is an option
-Galveston National Lab
-Half day schedule, curriculum is similar to Texas Tech (block style) + PBL MWF, lecture is video recorded and the program lets you watch it back at 2x speed
-LOTS of history around the town/medical school. Note: Galveston is a weird/quirky town, if you've been there you'll agree with this.
-Students are down to EARTH
-Medical Fraternities - cheap housing + 9 meals/wk + student mentors in classes above you + fun environment/good way to relax + several students living in these have high board scores
-SPEAKING OF BOARDS, as of right now 190 students have taken the boards with an AVERAGE OF 234! (that is likely to drop as the last scores come in)
-Intramurals + Athletic facilities

Note: Bring earplugs to Yaga's

Jimmer's #1 Reason to pick this school: LOTS OF OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE TO STUDENTS

PM me if you have any questions about an upcoming Interview

Last edited:
I failed to figure out who bmen is. There were too many A&M kids there.

My next school for an interview is UT-MB. This school is all kinds of amazing

Shriners%20Hospital.jpg

I saw you in your grey suit. I had a dark charcoal one. Early interview

Well a lot of people had dark suits so that doesn't ring a bell :D

If we have another interview together just stop by and say hi. I promise you that I wouldn't bite :smuggrin:

General question, how long was your app under review for before getting notified for interview?

Not sure whether i should stress that i havent received any info since getting that email of under review (July 29); also im oos.

General question, how long was your app under review for before getting notified for interview?

Not sure whether i should stress that i havent received any info since getting that email of under review (July 29); also im oos.

You got time, took like half a month before I got my interview invite.
Also OOS.

Hi guys!

I'm a current medical student at UTMB - if you have ANY questions about the school, feel free to send me a message!

Good luck on your interviews!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Finally made an account. I was there on the 5th and loved UTMB! Good luck to those of you who have interviews soon and those waiting on getting an invite!

Status
Not open for further replies.