2011-2012 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Did any of you have issues with not enough of your rec letters being classified as "science"? I'm positive at least one of my other letters should be a "science" letter but currently only one shows up that way...I emailed them a few hours ago but probably won't get a response for a while. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Did any of you have issues with not enough of your rec letters being classified as "science"? I'm positive at least one of my other letters should be a "science" letter but currently only one shows up that way...I emailed them a few hours ago but probably won't get a response for a while. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

This happened to me also. I just provided additional information about the science letter writer. I think they changed it within 3-4 days and then my application was marked complete

Interview invite -- got the "change of status" email tonight at 6:30. Nice surprise since I wasn't expecting med school emails after hours.

Good luck to everybody who's waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite -- got the "change of status" email tonight at 6:30. Nice surprise since I wasn't expecting med school emails after hours.

did you have VERY INTERESTED, MAY, or FURTHER? and when (please)?

And so it begins- congrats!

congrats!!! also, if you don't mind sharing, are you IS or OOS?

Thanks guys!

In-state, complete 7/6, got the "further" status 7/11

Congrats PotteryBarn!! Looks like "the month after your #2/#3 status" might be the predictive date?

I hope so. I got the MAY status on 7/11, exactly one month ago. Is today my day?

Are you IS? I've heard they interview IS first, so you might have to wait a while longer if you're OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
It also seems that a number of invites happen over a wide-range of days (based on last year's thread). VCU doesn't seem to be the "invite-on-only-one-day" a month type of school.

Are you IS? I've heard they interview IS first, so you might have to wait a while longer if you're OOS.

I am not. I'm alright with waiting as long as I eventually get one :).

How does VCU screen in applicants?

I think their screen is very holistic, if this is what you are asking. Also, from what I read in last year's thread they pay close attention to your secondary essay.

Yeah cuz they screened me in 2 days ago and i was very shocked by that because i wasn't expecting it. I am trying to work on my secondary essay asap so i can send it in right away but i feel like it's a long shot for me.

I think their screen is very holistic, if this is what you are asking. Also, from what I read in last year's thread they pay close attention to your secondary essay.

+1

I would assume any school that has an essay that allots up to 8000 characters would be one that looks at the essay closely. I have seen people with good stats get rejected pre-secondary so it might be the essay or holistically.

Yeah cuz they screened me in 2 days ago and i was very shocked by that because i wasn't expecting it. I am trying to work on my secondary essay asap so i can send it in right away but i feel like it's a long shot for me.

You should spend some time researching the school and then write about genuine reasons for applying there. Even if you have low stats, they can still decide that you are the "right fit" for the school based on PS, ECs, secondary essay, and interview. So, do your best with the secondary and send it in as soon as possible. Good luck!

Thanks. I appreciate it. I hope it works out and good luck to you too.

You should spend some time researching the school and then write about genuine reasons for applying there. Even if you have low stats, they can still decide that you are the "right fit" for the school based on PS, ECs, secondary essay, and interview. So, do your best with the secondary and send it in as soon as possible. Good luck!

The was the best secondary I have ever filled out. Schools should take lessons on how to organize their secondaries from VCU.

The way they let you select what classes fulfill their requirements....and they are already on the page? GENIUS! :thumbup:

So what exactly did you guys write for the WHY VCU? Did you just state things you like about the school? Did you put anything about yourself specifically?

Should I be excited about "The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken." ? lol

Any mstp applicant?
I forgot about the reference form, and just got an email to submit it. Do I need to give this form to all of my research mentors (who wrote me the letters of rec) or just one mentor..?

just marked complete now, the more I researched the school the more excited I got, it made writing why VCU a pretty enjoyable essay to write.

good luck to the rest still writing the secondary! :luck:

I just got the may status today. Out of state. What's the consensus on what these status updates really mean ? I have 3.5 and 31

I just got the may status today. Out of state. What's the consensus on what these status updates really mean ? I have 3.5 and 31

Can you please tell us when you were complete? I've been complete for nearly 3 weeks now but haven't received any status update.

Can you please tell us when you were complete? I've been complete for nearly 3 weeks now but haven't received any status update.

I was complete like a month ago. Maybe a little less

Does anyone know the difference, if any, between the "Your M.D. application is complete..." status and the "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decision" status?

Good luck to all!

IM pretty sure the MAY status is far better than the further status because the MAY status is saying that they MAY not be able to give you an interview: this shows intent to give an interview. The "further" status suggests no such interview...

thats my take

Rejected last year after interview and the "reservations" status. Reapplied and now I have that status again. I'm in-state (live in Richmond area), have a 38R, work half-time as a medical assistant (for a year now), volunteer as a medical assistant in a free clinic, graduated 2 years early with decent grades (3.4 sci, 3.6 overall). I minored in French and majored in Chemistry; I worked in college as a tutor - for the school and privately. Competitive grants research in physical chemistry? Yes. Oh, and a close relative is an attending at MCV. What gives?:confused:

Rejected last year after interview and the "reservations" status. Reapplied and now I have that status again. I'm in-state (live in Richmond area), have a 38R, work half-time as a medical assistant (for a year now), volunteer as a medical assistant in a free clinic, graduated 2 years early with decent grades (3.4 sci, 3.6 overall). I minored in French and majored in Chemistry; I worked in college as a tutor - for the school and privately. Competitive grants research in physical chemistry? Yes. Oh, and a close relative is an attending at MCV. What gives?:confused:

Sorry to hear that. Maybe a bad letter or another major red flag in your app?

Did you ask why you were rejected last year?

You should get into medical school with those stats....

I have the same status... Kind of disheartening. Oh well, at least you still got an interview last year! I'm hoping I can still get one.

INTERVIEW!!! 1st one!!! Ahhhhh I'm shaking!

They didn't give you feedback on how to improve? Letters? Did you have someone look over your personal statement + possibly secondary responses?

oh yeah I had the "further" status for like a month so everyone don't fear!!

Congrats! When were you guys completed?

6:11 PM today, Interview invite!

Got the further review status July 29th.

Scheduled interview for 9/15

interview invite!

complete 7/14. MAY status 7/20

Interview invite, Complete 07/06 , May Status 07/27

Interview scheduled 09/19

WOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :xf: :love:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.