2011-2012 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on all of you getting interviews :thumbup: Looks like VCU has finally started giving out lots of IIs :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats guys!

I hope I get one soon too: received the MAY status on 7/11.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the interviews everyone. I literally daydream about getting my first interview. Must feel pretty good.

Interview Invite!!!!!

Question though...they allow you to select a time...but they also say plan on being there till 3:30pm I have a guess on what this means, but does anyone know how the interview day is set up and what the time we are selecting means?

Rejected last year after interview and the "reservations" status. Reapplied and now I have that status again. I'm in-state (live in Richmond area), have a 38R, work half-time as a medical assistant (for a year now), volunteer as a medical assistant in a free clinic, graduated 2 years early with decent grades (3.4 sci, 3.6 overall). I minored in French and majored in Chemistry; I worked in college as a tutor - for the school and privately. Competitive grants research in physical chemistry? Yes. Oh, and a close relative is an attending at MCV. What gives?:confused:

Wow that's insane especially with that kind of MCAT! The only possible things I can imagine are a poor LOR or MAYBE the 3.4 sci GPA? But damn...

congrats everyone!!! Is anyone who got an interview OOS? I got the "very interested" status on 7/15...hoping for an II soon!

Interview Invite!!!!!

Question though...they allow you to select a time...but they also say plan on being there till 3:30pm I have a guess on what this means, but does anyone know how the interview day is set up and what the time we are selecting means?

what status were you and when were you complete? (if you dont mind)

I was complete 7/17 and am IS. I got the "further" status a few days later so I'd been stuck on "further" for almost a month. So have hope guys :)

I believe that the time we selected is when our personal interview is. The rest of the day is the info session, walking tour, and they want us to stay until 3:30 in case we get randomly selected for the experimental 2nd interview. At least that's what I got from the message.

congrats everyone!!! Is anyone who got an interview OOS? I got the "very interested" status on 7/15...hoping for an II soon!

I am hoping for an II as well. I got the VI status around Aug 5th, OOS. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
""The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail in March.""

I'm pretty interested in hearing from a school about what part of my app is giving me problems...

My PS was strong (per the opinion of every SDN proof-reader), my LOR's were strong (unless one of my writers was feigning how much they like me)...:confused:

I must have approached the secondary essays incorrectly. :(

Well how was your GPA, MCAT and ECs if you don't mind me asking and are you OOS?

you can reference my MDapps profile (below my username) for all that stuff.

Frazier you are going to get in. Don't get too worried. Your stats are fantastic as are your ECs. It's just a matter of time. Be patient. It will come!

All that said. I feel your pain in waiting. This sucks.

you can reference my MDapps profile (below my username) for all that stuff.

Your stats are amazing, I promise you that you will get into several medical schools. I wish you best of luck for VCU! I am amazed that VCU gave me an interview because my stats aren't even close to yours.

""The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail in March.""

I'm pretty interested in hearing from a school about what part of my app is giving me problems...

My PS was strong (per the opinion of every SDN proof-reader), my LOR's were strong (unless one of my writers was feigning how much they like me)... Of course, my MCAT score could always be higher.:confused:

The MAY status is not bad at all! Many people receive an interview shortly (about a month or less) after getting this status. You shouldn't be discouraged, just be patient, your stats are great.

My PS was strong (per the opinion of every SDN proof-reader), my LOR's were strong (unless one of my writers was feigning how much they like me)... Of course, my MCAT score could always be higher.:confused:

you do realize everyone who gets an interview invite gets that MAY status beforehand(including me). That status is something to celebrate about... not worry about

interview invite earlier today, had the May Status.

OOS,the only interview dates available when i checked were in Jan 2012

....then it definitely looks like there is no hope for a sub 30 mcat-er :(

You're kidding!? I'm one letter away from being complete and it looks like more than a 1/2 of the interview spots have been taken. SDLMFDSK!

Whoa. I had heard that IS interviews first, but that is not quite what I expected.

Whoa. I had heard that IS interviews first, but that is not quite what I expected.

Hmm I wonder what's going on here

Either:

A) All the September-December interview spots are taken already

or

B) IS folk interview first until January, and then OOS?

Well January was the default before clicking on the drop-down menu. Then there should've been more months to choose from. Unless they're actually all gone?

Hmm I wonder what's going on here

Either:

A) All the September-December interview spots are taken already

or

B) IS folk interview first until January, and then OOS?

It can't be A. That just isn't plausible at all. I guess it is B, but that is also very strange.

They are not all full, I'm looking at the schedule now as an OOS and there are no more September dates but plenty of other ones in October, November, etc.

I don't remember seeing anything except January dates, can anyone who has not signed up verify?

They are not all full, I'm looking at the schedule now as an OOS and there are no more September dates but plenty of other ones in October, November, etc.

well then, there must have been a glitch, I'm definitely calling tomorrow.

well then, there must have been a glitch, I'm definitely calling tomorrow.

VCU seems to have a very precise scoring system, maybe they just don't want to interview you until January? I'm not trying to be negative I'm just throwing this out there. :D

Please let us know how this works out when you call.

Does anyone know how long it will take the schools to get your MCAT scores once they are posted? I have been "complete" but on hold at VCU since 7/25. My MCAT scores were just posted yesterday afternoon... so I am wondering how long it will be until I hear something... any ideas?

For the person who said the thing about "further", I had a further status and was the first one on here to post about an II (last week). Then yesterday I guess a bunch of "may" people got interviews. So that's not true.

When I signed up the first month was Jan too, but at the bottom of the drop-down list were the end of the year months for 2011. If they aren't there anymore they are probably filled. But I would call them to make sure.

....then it definitely looks like there is no hope for a sub 30 mcat-er :(

I got an interview w/ a 29 N and way less impressive GPA < 3.5 so that's not true.

Hey all,

Congrats on all the interviews! So I have been complete since 7/1, got new MCAT scores 7/20 and even after checking the Student Info System have no updates/priority score assignment?? Is anyone else in the same boat? It seems most people got an update after a week or two but I've literally been a month? ahhhhh

Thanks!

Hey all,

Congrats on all the interviews! So I have been complete since 7/1, got new MCAT scores 7/20 and even after checking the Student Info System have no updates/priority score assignment?? Is anyone else in the same boat? It seems most people got an update after a week or two but I've literally been a month? ahhhhh

Thanks!

Your best bet would be to e-mail them and ask if your file is complete (if they received your new MCAT). They are usually pretty good in responding to e-mails. You can also try calling them.

MD/PhD Applicant: received the "further" status on 08/05, interview invite came today (08/17)..very excited :D

no one really seems to know if the further status means anything in terms of priority score because i got the further status on 7/14 (oos) and people have gotten interviews after...so i'm wondering if these statuses actualy mean anything at all.

no one really seems to know if the further status means anything in terms of priority score because i got the further status on 7/14 (oos) and people have gotten interviews after...so i'm wondering if these statuses actualy mean anything at all.

I'm wondering too...and in general I'm just confused. The interviews so far seem random; they're not determined by priority score or date of completion. Oh well, I'll be happy as long as I get an interview eventually. After researching the school, I'm very interested!

So I got rejected today, given my stats (3.3 sgpa and 25 mcat) I know that there's many more to come. But I indicated I was retaking my mcat on my application and took it on July 28, my new score hasn't come out and I was hoping they would atleast wait for my new score to evaluate my file. Should I even bother calling them and asking about this? Or just move on?

So I got rejected today, given my stats (3.3 sgpa and 25 mcat) I know that there's many more to come. But I indicated I was retaking my mcat on my application and took it on July 28, my new score hasn't come out and I was hoping they would atleast wait for my new score to evaluate my file. Should I even bother calling them and asking about this? Or just move on?

I would write a polite email if you believe that your MCAT score is going to be a significant improvement (at least 3+ points). I averaged 27, and the real thing was +5 points higher.

Yea -- that is really odd... Did you indicate on your AMCAS that you were re-taking the MCAT? Or did you just e-mail them to let them know? I was sent a secondary with a 24 MCAT, and a scheduled re-take. I've just been on hold, awaiting MCAT score, since submitting my secondary... my score was released on Tuesday -- so I am hoping for some update (since my MCAT went up 7 points!) I'd definitely inquire about that...

Yea -- that is really odd... Did you indicate on your AMCAS that you were re-taking the MCAT? Or did you just e-mail them to let them know? I was sent a secondary with a 24 MCAT, and a scheduled re-take. I've just been on hold, awaiting MCAT score, since submitting my secondary... my score was released on Tuesday -- so I am hoping for some update (since my MCAT went up 7 points!) I'd definitely inquire about that...

Yea it's weird because I was put on hold for my new mcat scores a week ago and then yesterday I was rejected, even before my scores have been released. Doesn't really make sense, I sent them a message so we'll see.

Hadn't been complete in over 3 weeks although all my materials had been in. So I called yesterday, and apparently there was a glitch in the system for some of the letters of recommendation downloads. This problem appears to have been fixed though, as I was completed this morning. Thought this information might be useful to others who were in similar situation

in case this helps anyone trying to figure VCU's interview operations I am OOS and got the very interested on August 4th. I was offered an interview invite yesterday and there were spots open for me from Sept-February. I opted for an October interview, need to space stuff out!

I got the May status on Aug 4th, so im hoping for an II today! COME ON already.

For those of you who are confused about why only Jan 2012 is popping up please go and re-check the drop down menu. When I interviewed last yr this was an issue too. It's defaulted on Jan. You must scroll to find the 2011 interview spots. They are not all filled up so early on, believe me. lol

Looking forward to seeing all your lovely suited up selves :)

I got the May status on Aug 4th, so im hoping for an II today! COME ON already.

unfortunately I don't think they're going in order of completion date. Plenty of people got the may/further statuses in July, but haven't gotten an interview yet. I got very interested July 15 and still no interview...very random.

:)
For those of you who are confused about why only Jan 2012 is popping up please go and re-check the drop down menu. When I interviewed last yr this was an issue too. It's defaulted on Jan. You must scroll to find the 2011 interview spots. They are not all filled up so early on, believe me. lol

Looking forward to seeing all your lovely suited up selves :)

Status
Not open for further replies.