2011-2012 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No invites this afternoon?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
in case this helps anyone trying to figure VCU's interview operations I am OOS and got the very interested on August 4th. I was offered an interview invite yesterday and there were spots open for me from Sept-February. I opted for an October interview, need to space stuff out!

I got the VI status on that day too. Maybe I am next?? :xf:

most of the people who have gotten an interview so far had the "may" status. read the thread....

i dunno...it sounds a lot more of "very interested" right now and maybe some "may" and "furthers"

i got "May" status too, does almost everyone get MAY status?

I was complete 7/26, had the MAY status and was invited for an interview 8/16... don't give up!!!! This process is crazy...

Ugh, I have been on hold for MCAT scores. I received them from AMCAS on Tuesday afternoon... and I've already gotten offered an interview somewhere else, so I know they are out there... does anyone know when they update status pages? Or if they only review applications once a week or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know... i'm having a hold up because my LORs aren't in, and supposedly it takes vcu weeks to download LORs?! omg... if i had known i'd have to wait that long just because of the letters, i would've sent them in way earlier!

My letters were uploaded to AMCAS on 8/08, and I submitted the secondary on 8/10. But the status still says Incomplete... should I call them or wait more..?

I was complete 7/26, had the MAY status and was invited for an interview 8/16... don't give up!!!! This process is crazy...

thanks for sharing! that definitely made me feel better especially since i got the may status 7/30 haha. good luck with your interview!

Interviewing 9/12. First interview at my first choice school. What a relief. Fingers crossed tightly that they like me! Good luck vibes being sent to the rest of you!

My letters were uploaded to AMCAS on 8/08, and I submitted the secondary on 8/10. But the status still says Incomplete... should I call them or wait more..?

Definitely give them some more time, VCU processes all of their letters manually, it took my file a full two weeks to be complete after I submitted

Is VCU rolling admissions?

Yes...well they have a three or four acceptance dates which start as early as December, if I remember correctly. March 15 or so is the last acceptance date which from thereon forward it's time to play the waiting game with the "alternate list".

Yes...well they have a three or four acceptance dates which start as early as December, if I remember correctly. March 15 or so is the last acceptance date which from thereon forward it's time to play the waiting game with the "alternate list".

So they don't tell us anything around Oct 15? bummer

Directly copied from their admissions website

"Offers for admission are made on or before October 1 for the Early Decision Plan and October 16, December 15, February 1 and March 15 to fill the class for regular admissions. At the time the class is filled, an alternate list of applicants is compiled from which replacements are drawn for any vacancies which may occur in the selected class by the first day of orientation."

I thought that was the earliest date AMCAS allowed med schools to release admissions decisions. Are there schools (ED programs excepted) that release sooner?

4 dates, thats not bad. I wish schools would tell us how many people get accepted vs how many matriculate.

4 dates, thats not bad. I wish schools would tell us how many people get accepted vs how many matriculate.

It's nice that you know the dates to expect an update, but I think its more stressful this way compared to the schools that give you a decision (in, out, wl) a few weeks after your interview.

My boyfriend applied to VCU last year and as each decision date comes, you wait and constantly check your status, but only a few people hear something... the rest have to wait until the next date, and next date, etc. They do not update you on each date unless they have a definite decision.

Be prepared for a really stressful cycle with VCU... unless we're the lucky ones who get in early!

US News provides this information.

What's the link for seeing the acceptance at VCU and matriculants? I tried to look for it and no luck lol hmm do we have to pay for that information?

What's the link for seeing the acceptance at VCU and matriculants? I tried to look for it and no luck lol hmm do we have to pay for that information?

I think you have to pay

Generally medical schools extend acceptances to about 1.5-2x the number of spots they have for the incoming class. They were looking for about 200 last year so roughly somewhere between 300-400ish acceptances were granted and 204 matriculated.

do they only accept 204 up until may 15? I assume then after that when people start withdrawing more and more are accepted to fill those spots, leading to the total being 300-400 that were accepted?

do they only accept 204 up until may 15? I assume then after that when people start withdrawing more and more are accepted to fill those spots, leading to the total being 300-400 that were accepted?

According to medicalschoolsinusa.com

Fall 2008 Admissions Statistics
Total admissions data 6154 applied, 856 interviewed, 434 were accepted, 192 enrolled
In-state admissions data 824 applied, 408 interviewed, 205 were accepted, 111 enrolled
Out-of-state admissions data 5330 applied, 448 interviewed, 229 were accepted, 81 enrolled
Women's admissions data 2885 applied, 401 interviewed, 200 were accepted, 88 enrolled
Minority admissions data 1535 applied, 179 interviewed, 99 were accepted, 34 enrolled

I'm asking more about timeline wise. are only 200 accepted up until may 15 and then do the number of accepted go up after that date?

I'm asking more about timeline wise. are only 200 accepted up until may 15 and then do the number of accepted go up after that date?

300-400 acceptances is overall extended. This includes those extended after May 15th. Not many people are accepted off the waitlist, if I were to estimate, probably around 20 or so, but even if it were like 50, most acceptances are still given out prior to May 15th.

I got the 'May' status today. I hope to get an interview here, it seems like a really good school! :)

Received an interview invite today! It's my first one, so I'm pretty excited :)

hey guys!

got the MAY status July 16th and interview invite Aug 15th
It looks like u get an interview ~ month after status update
good luck!! :luck:
has anyone had experience w/ vcu interviews before? :confused:

I got the 'May' status today. I hope to get an interview here, it seems like a really good school! :)

Congrats! Do you know when your application was marked complete? Mine was 8/2 but the only thing I've heard so far is "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decision." Is it worth worrying that I haven't received any other update considering it's been three weeks?

Congrats! Do you know when your application was marked complete? Mine was 8/2 but the only thing I've heard so far is "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decision." Is it worth worrying that I haven't received any other update considering it's been three weeks?

I had the same concern too, but I finally got a status update nearly 4 weeks after getting complete. Yours should be around the corner.

its only august

Any current students/people from around the area want to comment on living in Richmond?

Any current students/people from around the area want to comment on living in Richmond?

Cost of living is relatively inexpensive (700-900 /month rent). Commuting is no issue or you could readily find a decent single apartment downtown for around 900. Medium sized city (big enough where there's always stuff going on but small enough where there's very rarely traffic). Reasonably warm (moderate) climate. The city has a very diverse population (what large city doesn't).

The medical campus is separate from the undergrad campus (separated by a few miles). This gives the medical campus a very different feel, in a good way. It is surrounded by the main hospital, city hall, the justice center, Altria world headquarters, etc. Therefore the majority of people in the immediate area are professionals of some sort. The south and east side tend to get a bit slummy (nothing compared to NYC though). The west side has a huge shopping center, a really classy outdoor mall, and some higher end apartments.

I'm not in the med school (I'm only applying this cycle) but I work with a dozen or so medical faculty, all of whom are extremely knowledgeable and well spoken. I cannot overemphasize the quality of the faculty (at least in the physiology department, as that is where my experience lies).

Overall, I think it's a happy medium between a large metro and a suburban city.

Last edited:
Cost of living is relatively inexpensive (700-900 /month rent). Commuting is no issue or you could readily find a decent single apartment downtown for around 900. Medium sized city (big enough where there's always stuff going on but small enough where there's very rarely traffic). Reasonably warm (moderate) climate. The city has a very diverse population (what large city doesn't).

The medical campus is separate from the undergrad campus (separated by a few miles). This gives the medical campus a very different feel, in a good way. It is surrounded by the main hospital, city hall, the justice center, Altria world headquarters, etc. Therefore the majority of people in the immediate area are professionals of some sort. The south and east side of richmond tend to get a bit slummy (nothing compared to NYC though). The west side has a huge shopping center, a really classy outdoor mall, and some higher end apartments.

I'm not in the med school (I'm only applying this cycle) but I work with a dozen or so medical faculty, all of whom are extremely knowledgeable and well spoken. I cannot overemphasize the quality of the faculty (at least in the physiology department, as that is where my experience lies).

Overall, I think Richmond is a happy medium between a large metro and a suburban city.

thanks for the info.

No updates anyone?

For anyone who recently received a secondary - about how long did it take VCU to screen your primary? Will they send you some sort of acknowledgement that they've received your primary app and will be screening it? Thanks!

VCU is very biased towards folks from Virginia. There's a reason why 48 % of In-state applicants are interviewed where as 8 % of out of state applicants are interviewed. Good luck to everyone! I applied last year to VCU as Out of State with a 3.8 cGPA / 3.6 sGPA and 32 P on the MCAT (11 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS) and was not given an interview maybe I'll have better luck this year but nothing so far :confused: my LORs are pretty strong, I have been volunteering at a hospital for hundreds of hours now. I have been to Northern VA / Washington DC before but don't really have strong ties to Virginia. VCU does not really care about the numbers they honestly have a holistic approach to their interviews and acceptances. I know tons of people with way worse stats than mine that got accepted (they were in state though- including a guy that had a 3.6 and 25 MCAT score from VA). It really depends on if ADCOM were able to built a relationship with you when reading your personal statement, your past, accomplishments and your committee letters. I would go as far as to say GPA and MCAT are maybe less than 50 % of the whole story to them. VCU is huge on committee letters from schools that have Pre-med committees so do not miss out on that by any chance (even though it might be a little too late to get one now?) their website specifically says that you will be at a disadvantage if you miss out on your schools committee letter. This whole interview is all just a crap shoot man any second anyone could get an interview.

EDIT:- Still stuck on maybe status completed 08/02, I had the maybe status throughout last year and it didn't land me any where ughh disappointment. Good luck to everyone and congratulations to everyone that got an interview. I hope for the best for all of us!

Last edited:
VCU is very biased towards folks from Virginia. There's a reason why 48 % of In-state applicants are interviewed where as 8 % of out of state applicants are interviewed. Good luck to everyone! I applied last year to VCU as Out of State with a 3.8 cGPA / 3.6 sGPA and 32 P on the MCAT (11 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS) and was not given an interview maybe I'll have better luck this year but nothing so far :confused: my LORs are pretty strong, I have been volunteering at a hospital for hundreds of hours now. I have been to Northern VA / Washington DC before but don't really have strong ties to Virginia. VCU does not really care about the numbers they honestly have a holistic approach to their interviews and acceptances. I know tons of people with way worse stats than mine that got accepted (they were in state though- including a guy that had a 3.6 and 25 MCAT score from VA). It really depends on if ADCOM were able to built a relationship with you when reading your personal statement, your past, accomplishments and your committee letters. I would go as far as to say GPA and MCAT are maybe less than 50 % of the whole story to them. VCU is huge on committee letters from schools that have Pre-med committees so do not miss out on that by any chance (even though it might be a little too late to get one now?) their website specifically says that you will be at a disadvantage if you miss out on your schools committee letter. This whole interview is all just a crap shoot man any second anyone could get an interview.

EDIT:- Still stuck on maybe status completed 08/02, I had the maybe status throughout last year and it didn't land me any where ughh disappointment. Good luck to everyone and congratulations to everyone that got an interview. I hope for the best for all of us!

Definitely agree with everything you said but keep you head up man, I have way worse stats than you and I got an interview there's hope! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.