You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Hmm... leaving the "optional" essays blank seems a bit iffy... Can we have more opinion on this? I don't really have any particularly unique experiences or hardships/challenges. Having lived in different countries might be a bit unique but is not so unique that it'd look that special if I wrote about it.
It's truly optional. I left it blank, and I am going to WashU on a full scholarship. It obvi didn't hurt me.
Though I don't think writing about something unique (as long as it's not obviously forced just you'd have something to say) would hurt anything either.
Oh wow! What criteria do they have for scholarships?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone already sent the Dean Certification and WUSTL has already marked it received?...I am worried about mine because I am away from my school and couldnt check...But I sent the request on June 21st...sigh...worried
Yes, I just checked, and mine is marked as received. Good luck!
Has anyone already sent the Dean Certification and WUSTL has already marked it received?...I am worried about mine because I am away from my school and couldnt check...But I sent the request on June 21st...sigh...worried
They marked mine received today. Probably has more to do with your old school than WUSCOM. My old Dean of Students called me about because of the request. He also said that he would put it in the mail himself. Call your old school.
It was around June 21 when I requested it, and they told me it went out the same day. It showed up as received yesterday. I don't know the exact date it was received though because I did not check before then. Hope it helps!When did you request the certification from your school? Just curious..thanks
Oh wow! What criteria do they have for scholarships?
Not sure what you mean by criteria.
It was around June 21 when I requested it, and they told me it went out the same day. It showed up as received yesterday. I don't know the exact date it was received though because I did not check before then. Hope it helps!
my dean thing came in this week, only waiting on letters now.
They marked mine received today. Probably has more to do with your old school than WUSCOM. My old Dean of Students called me about because of the request. He also said that he would put it in the mail himself. Call your old school.
I guess I will just have to be patient...anyways, thanks guys! you guys are awesome 😀
This was asked earlier but no answer. Does anyone know how to convert quarter units to semester units? Is it just divide by 1.5, so 4 quarter units would be 2.66(repeating) semester units? Do you input 2.67 in that case? Thanks for any info.
For the optional essay, is anyone expanding on something they briefly discussed in their AMCAS? I feel like I'd not be following directions if I repeated anything, but I only touched on my "obstacle" briefly in my PS. It's been preventing me from submitting, because I don't know whether or not to include it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This was asked earlier but no answer. Does anyone know how to convert quarter units to semester units? Is it just divide by 1.5, so 4 quarter units would be 2.66(repeating) semester units? Do you input 2.67 in that case? Thanks for any info.
from the AACOMAS instructions:
Quarter Hours Semester Hours
1 0.7
2 1.3
3 2.0
4 2.7
5 3.3
6 4.0
7 4.7
8 5.3
9 6.0
10 6.7
For the optional essay, is anyone expanding on something they briefly discussed in their AMCAS? I feel like I'd not be following directions if I repeated anything, but I only touched on my "obstacle" briefly in my PS. It's been preventing me from submitting, because I don't know whether or not to include it.
Yeah, I have the same question. I mentioned my main obstacle in my PS but it wasn't the main thrust. I wish I could have expounded on it more, but I didn't want it to be a sob story. But if they are asking about it, I'd like to talk about it more.
Advice???
Anyone have opinions for us? Please share. 🙂
Anyone have opinions for us? Please share. 🙂
Yes expand upon it, talk about how it shaped you, but only have one or two sentences with the sentiment "it was really hard for me/i was a victim of..." etc. i'd spend most of the characters talking about how it improved you as a potential doctor, ie connecting with people/maturity and perspective.
The "detailed instructions" on their website call for letters on letterhead with signatures. Yet, they participate in the AMCAS letter writing service. Does that mean my recommenders must scan the letter?
Also, I hate to include this here (I included this on the WAMC thread too), but I have a 36 MCAT, 3.95 MPH GPA, 3.71 undergrad GPA in Materials Science and Engineering, and I work full-time as a statistician. (I'm 24). Do I have a shot? 😕
Also, I hate to include this here (I included this on the WAMC thread too), but I have a 36 MCAT, 3.95 MPH GPA, 3.71 undergrad GPA in Materials Science and Engineering, and I work full-time as a statistician. (I'm 24). Do I have a shot? 😕
The "detailed instructions" on their website call for letters on letterhead with signatures. Yet, they participate in the AMCAS letter writing service. Does that mean my recommenders must scan the letter?
Also, I hate to include this here (I included this on the WAMC thread too), but I have a 36 MCAT, 3.95 MPH GPA, 3.71 undergrad GPA in Materials Science and Engineering, and I work full-time as a statistician. (I'm 24). Do I have a shot? 😕
Hmm thats a good question
Still reviewing letters i guess. No update. oh well 👍
Okay so everything I need is marked as submitted but it says my file is still incomplete. Anyone else have this? I emailed them but didn't get a response.
Okay so everything I need is marked as submitted but it says my file is still incomplete. Anyone else have this? I emailed them but didn't get a response.
yeah mine's been like that for a few weeks
I just called WashU and the person confirmed that the recommenders are supposed to scan the letters. Wow. For those of you who applied earlier, did your recommenders have to do this?
I just called WashU and the person confirmed that the recommenders are supposed to scan the letters. Wow. For those of you who applied earlier, did your recommenders have to do this?
My letters were sent to my pre med office where i assume they scanned them
Same. They are probably just taking forever to get started completing files and/or updating the status page.yeah mine's been like that for a few weeks
I decided to check my status page today, and noticed that I was marked as "Complete"
I decided to check my status page today, and noticed that I was marked as "Complete"
lucky. stil incomplete
me too, still incomplete herelucky. stil incomplete
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yup. They just sent me an email telling me I was complete. It didn't happen until my Dean's certification arrived though.I decided to check my status page today, and noticed that I was marked as "Complete"
My status has been incomplete since 6/20. All that's been missing are my dean's certification which isn't supposed to delay completeness.
I'm also "incomplete," even though they're only missing the Dean's Certification.
Hi folks,
I received a complete email today w/o my certification form in.
Sent secondary in at end of june.
I received a complete email today w/o my certification form in.
Sent secondary in at end of june.
Same problem here - I plan to give it a few more days before calling them.hmm it says they still haven't received my letters yet, but my letters were received by AMCAS in May ....... anyone else with this problem?
Same problem here - I plan to give it a few more days before calling them.
FYI, my letters were also received in May and were just checked off today. Secondary submitted July 1.
This is a grammar question
"Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome"
It the that you have overcome part applied the the unique experiences? Can I write about a unique experience that i did not have to overcome?
"Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome"
It the that you have overcome part applied the the unique experiences? Can I write about a unique experience that i did not have to overcome?
That's what I did. I wrote about a unique experience. I figured it didn't make sense for them to ask about any "unique experiences [...] that you have overcome" ...This is a grammar question
"Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome"
It the that you have overcome part applied the the unique experiences? Can I write about a unique experience that i did not have to overcome?
Received this email:
Your supplemental application is in 'draft' status. In order for us to process your application, you will need to go to the web site:
http://wumsapply.wustl.edu
Login to your account. Choose 'Supplemental Application' and then Part D 'Attestation & Submit'.
Note: If you have chosen to withdraw your application, please disregard this message.
But I got an email a week ago saying my app was complete. Anyone else have this problem?
Your supplemental application is in 'draft' status. In order for us to process your application, you will need to go to the web site:
http://wumsapply.wustl.edu
Login to your account. Choose 'Supplemental Application' and then Part D 'Attestation & Submit'.
Note: If you have chosen to withdraw your application, please disregard this message.
But I got an email a week ago saying my app was complete. Anyone else have this problem?
Hey guys,
I went to a quarter system school, and I was wondering if I have to convert my quarter units to semester units in the Calculus courses sections? They specifically asked for semester credits, so I was a bit confused!
Thanks!
Hey everyone, I had a question about semester units as well. How exactly do you calculate this? My school is on a semester basis but we use credits for each individual course (a typical course for me is 3 or 4 credits). Do I say the 3 or 4 credits or do I put "1" because it is just 1 semester?
Thanks for helping us clarify this!
I turned my secondary in 10 days ago, but my application is still showing up as 'incomplete'. Apparently my LORs haven't been download from AMCAS yet. Anyone else having this problem?
Me. I turned mine in June 24th and still nothing. they said to allow 3-4 weeks when i emailed. This friday marks 4 weeks. If i get nothing by next tuesday im emailing again.
it takes them a while to update it
it takes them a while to update it
I realize that but thats why I submitted on almost the first day. To avoid this

oh well comes with the territory.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just to let you guys know, I submitted my secondary July 1 and was marked as complete July 8. My letters had been on AMCAS since June and my dean's certificate hasn't been submitted yet.
Which is what worreis me about mine
. I have 2 science profs and a research letter. I emailed them about that and they said the research letter will count as the 3rd but still
might cause problems. One of my science profs taught one of my humanities classes so it could count for that right 
Hey everyone, I had a question about semester units as well. How exactly do you calculate this? My school is on a semester basis but we use credits for each individual course (a typical course for me is 3 or 4 credits). Do I say the 3 or 4 credits or do I put "1" because it is just 1 semester?
Thanks for helping us clarify this!
Hi sorry to ask again but can anyone please help me clarify what they mean by semester credits? What did you guys put down when you completed your secondary?
Thanks!
Just to let you guys know, I submitted my secondary July 1 and was marked as complete July 8. My letters had been on AMCAS since June and my dean's certificate hasn't been submitted yet.
argh, my letters have been on AMCAS since june as well 😕. I guess I'll just wait for a couple more days and give them a call/e-mail by the end of the week.
Hi sorry to ask again but can anyone please help me clarify what they mean by semester credits? What did you guys put down when you completed your secondary?
Thanks!
It's been awhile since I filled out this secondary, but from what you wrote, it seems that they want the credit hours. So like the 3/4/5 hours of credit you get from one class.
Me. I turned mine in June 24th and still nothing. they said to allow 3-4 weeks when i emailed. This friday marks 4 weeks. If i get nothing by next tuesday im emailing again.
i submitted after you and my primaries were verified in july. they got entered one week after verification. you should def email them
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 943
- Views
- 367K