2012-2013 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what's the deal with Baylor??? My pre-med advisor and PI have expressed some concerns about financial problems and trouble with a lot of new faculty... Can any of the current students comment on the situation? I am seriously considering applying, but I am not sure given all that I have heard in recent weeks.

I'm not sure what the deal is, but I know it was addresses several times in last years thread if you want to look that over.

yes, this has been addressed countless times. the financial "problems" references here are a non-issue and have been a non-issue. i have no clue about your comment on faculty though. we continue to draw many top faculty here and continue to expand our school (we just established the first school of tropical medicine in the country here)

Not attending Baylor, but based on my interview day and conversations with current students, it does not appear that their financial situation has adversely affected the quality of their medical education.I think they've recently renovated their anatomy lab.

Baylor is still saddled with quite a bit of debt (a lot of it tied to its incomplete hospital, which probably won't be completed in the near future, if at all), but it seems like they're heading in the right direction in terms of leadership / debt repayments / etc. I would not let BCM's financial situation deter you from applying ... it's a great school in the heart of the TMC.

yes, there have been renovations to the lab which look fantastic and other things throughout BCM have been renovated. money is not an issue. and FWIW, we were given an A or A- credit rating, so we're fine.

regarding the new "hospital" aka the McNair Campus, it actually will be completed in the near future, though not as a hospital. the medical center has more than enough beds as at any one time, there are empty beds. it was decided that a new hospital with new beds isn't needed. BCM is currently on target to moving the first outpatient clinics to the facility in the summer of 2013 and will begin performing outpatient surgical procedures in the fall of 2013!

Members don't see this ad.

regarding the new "hospital" aka the McNair Campus, it actually will be completed in the near future, though not as a hospital. the medical center has more than enough beds as at any one time, there are empty beds. it was decided that a new hospital with new beds isn't needed. BCM is currently on target to moving the first outpatient clinics to the facility in the summer of 2013 and will begin performing outpatient surgical procedures in the fall of 2013!

Good to hear that BCM will be re-purposing the McNair Campus.

per jturkel:
"and FWIW, i disagree with your assessment that an SAT can validate a higher verbal person. it's a test. a good test taker doesn't have to be a highly verbal person to do well on the SAT verbal. the SAT shows how well you take a standardized test, not how well you can communicate IMO"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

response...

Thanx for your informative posts, jturkel.

Let me guess on this issue-- you might be one of those folks who finds the verbal portion of standardized tests "a stupid waste of time" for one who would go into medicine.

The SAT's have LONG proven their ability to predict aptitude for college and even graduate school work, better than GPA's which are so much a reflection of the respective high schools (think lowest common denominator). While it is true that the SAT's sometimes penalize slow readers and some others (those who freeze during timed tests), one CANNOT fake a high SAT score by "being a good test taker."

The liberal, PC claim that they are "culturally biased" has also been disproved. Colleges everywhere are evasive about reliance on SAT's, but they always rely heavily on them relative to GPA.

In other words, high verbal scores are probative of verbal aptitude, BUT some have higher aptitude than their standardized scores might suggest. THAT is why BCM, among other top schools, asks also for SAT scores in addition to the MCAT's as a further corroboration of measured aptitudes. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
re:
I'm applying, but I hope/pray my MCAT is competitive enough to get an interview at the least. I'm an OOS.

BCM is accepting perhaps 45 (~25%) in each class OOS. An interesting point often missed...there is a difference between published MCAT data for all medical schools on averages of accepted applicants from average MCAT's of actual matriculated applicants. By one reckoning, BCM has averaged the 4th highest average GPA/MCAT of accepted applicants in America:

http://www.studentdoc.com/top-10-medical-schools.html

BUT, if you drill down on the data by comparing class profiles to published data about accepted averages, there is a fairly material difference among all schools.

http://www.bcm.edu/medschool/snapshot.html

The average BCM matriculant (2010 entering class) had a 33.12 MCAT. That is indubitably still darn good, but not the 34.8 shown here, which was surely the average of all BCM accepted candidates, some of whom went instead to other top schools:

http://www.eduers.com/mcat/Average_MCAT_Scores.htm

My overview point? If you have a 33 or so, you have a shot, even OOS!
As Rocky said, "Go for it
!"

:luck:

per jturkel:
"and FWIW, i disagree with your assessment that an SAT can validate a higher verbal person. it's a test. a good test taker doesn't have to be a highly verbal person to do well on the SAT verbal. the SAT shows how well you take a standardized test, not how well you can communicate IMO"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

response...

Let me guess on this issue-- you might be one of those folks who finds the verbal portion of standardized tests "a stupid waste of time" for one who would go into medicine.

The SAT's have LONG proven their ability to predict aptitude for college and even graduate school work, better than GPA's which are so much a reflection of the respective high schools (think lowest common denominator). While it is true that the SAT's sometimes penalize slow readers and some others (those who freeze during timed tests), one CANNOT fake a high SAT score by "being a good test taker."

The liberal, PC claim that they are "culturally biased" has also been disproved. Colleges everywhere are evasive about reliance on SAT's, but they always rely heavily on them relative to GPA.

In other words, high verbal scores are probative of verbal aptitude, BUT some have higher aptitude than their standardized scores might suggest. THAT is why BCM, among other top schools, asks also for SAT scores in addition to the MCAT's as a further corroboration of measured aptitudes. ;)

hey man. just gonna say i disagree with you...as well as your "claims" that SATs have a long proven ability to prove aptitude. show me the proof. i don't think it's a stupid waste of time, but i do think there is only a minimal correlation at best with your ability to communicate with patients, teach, etc. also, unless you are on the BCM admissions committee, i'm going to go ahead and say you don't know why we ask for it.

FWIW, a lot of schools actually DON'T ask for them. the only other school i remember asking for them was WUSTL...and still, doesn't matter. I didnt put my scores down....and it clearly wasn't an issue.

best of luck to you this cycle

anyone have any updates in status? mine just says this..

"Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able."

samesies.

Same here. We seem to be on track with last years thread so we should hear about interview invites in early August!

Best of luck to everyone!

So, what's the deal with Baylor??? My pre-med advisor and PI have expressed some concerns about financial problems and trouble with a lot of new faculty... Can any of the current students comment on the situation? I am seriously considering applying, but I am not sure given all that I have heard in recent weeks.
As others have said, this is addressed extensively in previous years' threads. And without rehashing everything, while I'm sure it's something Dr. Klotman spends a significant amount of time thinking about, students don't. All I can tell you is that we still receive an excellent pre-clinical and clinical education which leads to us getting excellent Step 1 scores which leads to our students getting into very competitive residencies on the whole :)
per jturkel:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

response...

:shrug:

I'm sure that there is some reason that the admissions committee asks for them, but as jturkleton said I feel like it's just a test, and a test from at least 4 years ago at that. I did well on the SAT and MCAT verbal sections, and I still feel that more than anything else that reflected my ability to take the test well.

I think that's the stock status for everyone whose application has been reviewed but hasn't been offered an invite yet.

Good luck!

I working on my application right now, when do most people submit their apps for bcm?

Members don't see this ad :)
What does this mean?

Information may be provided to the primary undergraduate school you have attended.
Yes, send information to the undergraduate school
No, do not send information to the undergraduate school

Thanks

What does this mean?

Information may be provided to the primary undergraduate school you have attended.
Yes, send information to the undergraduate school
No, do not send information to the undergraduate school

Thanks

I think that questions asks whether or not you give permission to BCM to send your undergraduate institution information about your BCM secondary application. I could be wrong though. I just checked yes since I already checked Yes to my undergraduate institution getting my AMCAS info.

Last edited:
BCM asks for your SAT scores because we accept high school students to the bacc/MD program...their SAT score is evaluated as part of the screening process for them. BCM is interested in whether the students that are accepted to the bacc/MD program are similar to the ones accepted to the traditional program...comparing the SAT scores is one way to accomplish that. It's essentially a research data point. I'm on the admissions committee, I've never paid attention to the SAT, nor have I ever seen it brought up in the admissions committee meetings for the MD or MD/PhD programs.

Also, FWIW, I took the SAT back when 1600 was perfect, so my measly 1130 probably looked pretty ridiculous up against the other applicants whose SAT had 10000 or whatever as the perfect score.

How much are people writing for the essay? I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for what to write, so I'm pretty sure I won't come near the 2000 character limit.

How much are people writing for the essay? I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for what to write, so I'm pretty sure I won't come near the 2000 character limit.

I wouldn't worry. I doubt that schools look at not getting close to the character limit as a red flag. As long as your content is good/clear/concise, I would think it's fine. Think about it, adcoms probably aren't pouring over your essay as much as an English teacher/professor, so hopefully length isn't too big of a factor.

Good, that's what I've been going for in my secondary essays so far. Thanks

My status was:

and now it changed to being reviewed again:

"Your application is complete and is being reviewed by the committee. We will let you know as soon as further information is available."

"Your application is complete and is being reviewed by the committee. We will let you know as soon as further information is available."

according to last year's thread, that's a good sign of you getting an interview invite :)

mine hasn't changed :(

Mine just changed too! Seems really early for invites though right? Definitely not getting my hopes too high.

Mine just changed too! Seems really early for invites though right? Definitely not getting my hopes too high.

actually, when I contacted admissions, they said they'll start conducting interviews in August...should've asked when in August though..but I guess that means they'll start sending invites next week maybe?

actually, when I contacted admissions, they said they'll start conducting interviews in August...should've asked when in August though..but I guess that means they'll start sending invites next week maybe?

Good to know! And yeah even if they were starting interviews in late August, I think next week would be about right.

does baylor wait until the end of the application season to reject pre-interview?

does baylor wait until the end of the application season to reject pre-interview?

there really aren't pre-interview rejections. you either get an interview invite after turning in the secondary or you dont.....and IIRC, they send out interviews probably through the end of january/beginning of february with the last interviews taking place in mid february-ish. if one doesn't receive an interview invite by then, it is probably safe to assume that one is no longer being considered for an interview

My status just changed to "your application is being reviewed by the committee..." I'm so excited!

congrats :)

To those of you who've gotten the status change, do you mind posting your stats?

Really? I just thought this is the case for everybody when they review your application. Somebody please correct me...

Last year's thread speaks otherwise. People who received the status changed tended to get an II shortly thereafter. There was only one person who didn't get the status change but still got an interview. I forget how frequently the status changes occur though..

Really? I just thought this is the case for everybody when they review your application. Somebody please correct me...

Yeah. Last year they started out as "is being reviewed" then changed to "has been reviewed" and then a few days before interview invites, it would change back to "is being reviewed" if you were about to receive and interview invite.

The year before it was even stranger though as people would receive an error message when logging in if they were about to receive an interview invite.

Seems reasonable that it may be the same as last year.

Last year's thread speaks otherwise. People who received the status changed tended to get an II shortly thereafter. There was only one person who didn't get the status change but still got an interview. I forget how frequently the status changes occur though..

Well, I do have that status change, but I have a 3.4/31Q, so maybe they liked my extracurriculars? Baylor was a long shot for me, but I'd be jumping for joy if I get an interview.

Well, I do have that status change, but I have a 3.4/31Q, so maybe they liked my extracurriculars? Baylor was a long shot for me, but I'd be jumping for joy if I get an interview.

Haha nevermind, fail. Just checked again and it said "has been reviewed"....sorry guys.

congrats :)

To those of you who've gotten the status change, do you mind posting your stats?

3.7, 36... Really hoping this status change is good news!

amcas verified 7/9; submitted secondary 7/11. I was originally marked "has been reviewed" last friday and then changed back yesterday to the "is being reviewed"

Last edited:
No status change either.. I'm an OOS applicant with ties in Texas... hopefully I can get in :( .. then again its really early in the cycle.. I'm sure a lot of us will get status changes soon! :) Also do the people who got status changes mind saying when they submitted their secondary?

I submitted mine on Monday and today it changed to "being reviewed"

I submitted mine on Monday and today it changed to "being reviewed"

Would you mind posting your stats? I'm just trying to see which pool of applicants they're about to invite first

Congrats though :)

No status change here, either. :(

It seems that most people got their status changes 1-2 weeks before interview invites got handed out, so that means they'll probably be issuing invites either end of this week or beginning of next week? Exciting news!

To everyone that submitted in the last week, your status change to "is being reviewed" probably does not mean much.

It has to go from "is being reviewed" to "has been reviewed" BACK TO "is being reviewed." Everyone gets an initial "is being reviewed," it is only when it goes back to "is being reviewed" that it MAY be indicative to an interview invite based on last years thread.

No status change here, either. :(

It seems that most people got their status changes 1-2 weeks before interview invites got handed out, so that means they'll probably be issuing invites either end of this week or beginning of next week? Exciting news!
Is the status change everyone's talking about that indicates an interview the being to has to being status change or just being reviewed to has?
EDIT: nvm

Would you mind posting your stats? I'm just trying to see which pool of applicants they're about to invite first

My status hasn't changed from being to has to being. Just to being, so I don't think it means anything. But my stats are 3.95/3.97, 33 and I'm oos so this is a long shot.

My status has NOT changed (yet). Still says "has been reviewed." 3.91/3.90/34S, OOS for me.

The whole status change thing sounds interesting but I'd rather not worry about a mystic status change that may or may not predict an interview invite X_X. So much to worry about already.

To everyone that submitted in the last week, your status change to "is being reviewed" probably does not mean much.

It has to go from "is being reviewed" to "has been reviewed" BACK TO "is being reviewed." Everyone gets an initial "is being reviewed," it is only when it goes back to "is being reviewed" that it MAY be indicative to an interview invite based on last years thread.

Ah...I guess I should've clarified that earlier. Got ahead of myself...sorry people :rolleyes:

This gets brought up every year. That status means exactly what it says, it's not code for anything else. You could apply with a 2.0 gpa and 10 MCAT and you would get that status if your application was complete and reviewed.

This gets brought up every year. That status means exactly what it says, it's not code for anything else. You could apply with a 2.0 gpa and 10 MCAT and you would get that status if your application was complete and reviewed.

But then you'd get an interview, right? :p

So who's actually went from being reviewed, to has been reviewed, to is being reviewed? Everyone seems to have mistaken themselves lol.

So who's actually went from being reviewed, to has been reviewed, to is being reviewed? Everyone seems to have mistaken themselves lol.

I don't think anyone did.

Status
Not open for further replies.