2012-2013 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Current BUSM students: Is there any internal ranking done for the preclinical years for purposes such as AOA? Or is the grading strictly Pass/Fail unranked? In other words, will residency programs see any difference between a student with a 71% average on exams and a student with an average of 99% or do they only see the "Pass"?

There is no internal ranking for preclinical years. We don't have junior AOA because the only way you can have junior AOA is if you internally rank and BU doesn't.

Residency programs only see P or P with remediation. And in general residency programs don't care about preclinical grades at all.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no internal ranking for preclinical years. We don't have junior AOA because the only way you can have junior AOA is if you internally rank and BU doesn't.

Residency programs only see P or P with remediation. And in general residency programs don't care about preclinical grades at all.

Correct. AOA based on Step 1, third year grades, extracurriculars, connections.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that are wait listed, are you guys going to stay on the wait list?

Is anyone else getting an error message when you try to add a guest to the Second Look?

I get the error message too. I'll try again in the AM.

Nope, but I did get a letter announcing a 2.9% increase in tuition for next year. $52,426!! :eek:

That financial aid package will definitely make or break it.

Will be withdrawing from the waitlist. Good luck, all!

Anyone speculate as to when we can expect financial aid packages to be sent out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone speculate as to when we can expect financial aid packages to be sent out?

I speculate they will put them in the mail at the end of next week. Friday the 12th was their priority deadline and they say "Please allow a minimum of 10 business days to receive your financial aid award once you have submitted your application and supporting documentation."

If you go to the accepted student website they gave us and click the link for "first time financial aid applicants," that is where I got this info.

Anyone receive anything about financial aid yet?

Nope but I heard packages went out in the mail yesterday. If it means anything to anyone, I will likely withdraw because I can't afford this school, as much as I like it.

I spoke to someone at the financial aid office on Monday and he said that they will start sending out award letters at the end of this week.

Has anyone on the waitlist heard anything?? Also, does anyone have advice about what to do if you're on the waitlist? Thanks and congrats to those who were accepted!

It looks like I will be withdrawing from BUSM. Got my financial aid and only received $15,000/yr in need-based scholarships. My EFC was 0. It's a shame because this is my first choice school, but I can't rationalize the almost hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt I'll be in if I go here versus somewhere else.

tl;dr -- A spot is opening up on the waitlist. Maybe I'll see you guys during residency in Boston. It was a fun ride. :)

FWIW, $15k is the most they give in need-based scholarships.

Does anyone know how to give up our acceptance? I clicked "withdraw my application" on the BU online portal, but do I need to do anything further? Thanks!

I did the same as you today and got a confirmation email shortly afterwards.

Just withdrew today. Hopefully my spot goes to one of you!

Anyone has any information about the waiting list this year? Any movements yet?

Hey guys,

Thinking about applying this coming cycle, but not sure if I meet their requisite courses. I saw on the msar what they need, but I've heard bits and pieces of preferred course work from non ap or CC sources. Anyone know their policy on those? How set in stone they are?

Thanks!

any news for waitlisters?

I'm not sure if any movement has happened yet, but the waitlist email said "Most waiting list decisions are made between June 1st and July 31st, but the list remains active until the middle of August"

Talked to my research advisor at BU today and he said he knows of 1 person so far that's been accepted off the waitlist. So it's moving...but doing so very slowly at the moment.

Accepted off the waitlist for MD/PhD last week. Withdrew my application yesterday. Goodluck to everyone still waiting!

Hi current students - just wondering what the true cost of attendance of BU is? Not including health insurance

Seems like there has been movement in the waitlist.
For those who got accepted off waitlist, did you send any updates after you were waitlisted?
I know a friend of my friend was on the waitlist and she actually contacted the dean, showed strong interest to the school saying she would definitely attend the school as it was her number one school. She got accepted off the waitlist short after.
Maybe she impressed the dean.
Is it worth trying contacting the dean or admission office at this point even though you dont have much of updates?

nobody posted yet about getting off MD waitlist, guess they don't have spots yet ...:(

Got off the MD waitlist this week after starting to lose hope for this amazing school, hang in there!!

Got off the MD waitlist this week after starting to lose hope for this amazing school, hang in there!!

Congratulations!!!
have you been contacting the school? did you send email directly to Dr. Witzburg? thanks!~ I am waiting eagerly to hear some good news, too

Thanks! I hadn't contacted the school since march, at which point I wrote a letter explaining why bu was my first choice. I don't think there was anything I did in particular that led to this happening, but I can't see how writing a letter explaining why you would like to go there/why you would be a good fit can hurt.

Does anyone know if they fully-enrolled already by now, facebook page still indicates only 149 members.

I just got accepted yesterday off the MD waitlist. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Congrats seabiscuit47!!! I was wondering if you did anything to get off the waitlist? Like letter of intent or calling the office/dean?

Thank you and congrats again!! :)

Congrats seabiscuit47!!! I was wondering if you did anything to get off the waitlist? Like letter of intent or calling the office/dean?

Thank you and congrats again!! :)

Thanks! I sent a letter of interest a couple months ago and in May I sent an additional letter of recommendation that was relevant to what I have been doing for the past year since applying. I have no way of knowing if it helped but I don't think it hurt!

Hey everyone,

I might be attending BUSM in August. Currently I'm seeking an apt. I have found a couple of places that are 2Br/2Ba and would prefer a roommate for such occasions. If you are considering a roommate, please let me know. Your portion of rent (excluding util) can be up to $2300 a month. I'm still looking for nice places, but I need someone who is in the same boat.

About me: clean- (will likely have cleaning service weekly that you may contribute to), male, with small dog.

Also, if there is a better resource for looking for roommates than this, could you kindly let me know? I tried roommates.com to no avail. Also, I don't like Craigslist because I would have to have a place already to post on there, and as I mentioned, I'm still shopping around.

Status
Not open for further replies.