2012-2013 Creighton University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have spent a lot of time in Coeur d'Alene. Are you a from CdA?

Nah. Although, I've spent quite a bit of time in CdA as well. I've also spent a lot of time in and around Sandpoint!

Members don't see this ad.

So 2/8 people should hear this week - well you could call in... right?

Members don't see this ad :)
If anybody wrote an update/LOI, who did you address it to? I've read that it's better to address it to a person rather than the admissions committee in general. Thanks!

I addressed mine to Dr. Quinn, Director Jarmon, and Committee. It's lengthy, but it looks better to address it to specific people. However, I would be hard-pressed to believe that "Dear Admissions Committee" would make or break a decision. :)

I always thought that the update should be in the format of a formal business letter, but when I looked at Creighton's website, they want you to upload various topics independently. How did you guys do this? I guess I'm confused...are you supposed to just make a list in a word document of updates related to that topic? And upload like four or five documents, instead of one letter? Help please :)

I had a pretty massive update to send before my interview and I wrote one letter with sections addressing each update. I wasn't willing to write five different letters and the office told me that once you upload a letter, the committee can view it as it is and pretty soon after the upload (read: there's little processing done to your letter). Since my grades were the most important part, I uploaded under the "grade update" tab. It didn't seem to hurt my chances and I'm pretty sure they read it, since it was addressed in my interview.

The office staff is super helpful and responsive, so an email or a phone call should clear things up.

Just an FYI, I'll be declining my acceptance from Creighton. Loved the school, but got into my #1 choice last week. Hopefully this opens up a spot for for one of you guys.

Sooo... did anyone else's financial aid letter make their stomach clench up a bit?

I still love you though Creighton!

Sooo... did anyone else's financial aid letter make their stomach clench up a bit?

I still love you though Creighton!

Yes, such massive loans...

Yeah, my stomach definitely dropped when I saw that.

Did anyone get any scholarships/awards - besides the diversity one you had to apply for online via your secondary?

Once you guys were accepted, did you fill out the FAFSA and eventually receive a financial aid letter? How long did it take? I'm just a little confused, as there were no instructions in the acceptance packet besides the paperwork for the deposit. I had to wait until taxes were done, so getting to it in the next few days and a little nervous that I'm running late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you guys were accepted, did you fill out the FAFSA and eventually receive a financial aid letter? How long did it take? I'm just a little confused, as there were no instructions in the acceptance packet besides the paperwork for the deposit. I had to wait until taxes are done, so getting to it in the next few days and a little nervous that I'm running late.

Yeah. FAFSA. And there's a diversity scholarship that you can write essays for that you'll get an email about. That's it, though - unless I missed something myself.

Yeah. FAFSA. And there's a diversity scholarship that you can write essays for that you'll get an email about. That's it, though - unless I missed something myself.

Whew, thanks! That's what I had on my to-do list, so glad that I'm not missing anything. I'll get that FAFSA turned in this week and wait for the stomach-dropping. Eeek.:scared:

I'm a little conflicted. I'm expecting a decision next week (interviewed 2/15), so I'm considering sending an update including grades. I have two grades in the books (As), but the third teacher is notorious for taking long (an extra week or two) before posting grades. Would it look bad if I sent a transcript with an incomplete on it if I explained my situation? Also I've heard some people saying that they were put on hold and asked for an update, so I'm thinking maybe if I send an update now I'll have nothing to send in that case. Any advice?

I'm a little conflicted. I'm expecting a decision next week (interviewed 2/15), so I'm considering sending an update including grades. I have two grades in the books (As), but the third teacher is notorious for taking long (an extra week or two) before posting grades. Would it look bad if I sent a transcript with an incomplete on it if I explained my situation? Also I've heard some people saying that they were put on hold and asked for an update, so I'm thinking maybe if I send an update now I'll have nothing to send in that case. Any advice?

You wouldn't need to send a transcript... an update letter listing your grades will do just fine. I'm not sure how much they care about your grades, but my in-progress grades had a big impact on my application, so it behooved me to send it in ASAP. If I were in the same situation, I'd send the letter since you're expecting to go into committee review soon. Just note the two you've already received and say that the third is still pending. I believe it's better to have all of your cards on the table.

Members don't see this ad :)
You wouldn't need to send a transcript... an update letter listing your grades will do just fine. I'm not sure how much they care about your grades, but my in-progress grades had a big impact on my application, so it behooved me to send it in ASAP. If I were in the same situation, I'd send the letter since you're expecting to go into committee review soon. Just note the two you've already received and say that the third is still pending. I believe it's better to have all of your cards on the table.

Thanks for the help

Sorry for being obnoxious and asking again, ha, but has anyone who didn't go to Creighton for undergrad (I know they have specific scholarships for them) get any scholarships/grants/awards? Or did everyone just get 73k (or 72, I forget) in straight loans? Also excluding the medical diversity one you had to apply for.

For some reason I was under the impression that they gave out a pretty big chunk of $, but there's the very real possibility I have it confused with another school.

Sorry for being obnoxious and asking again, ha, but has anyone who didn't go to Creighton for undergrad (I know they have specific scholarships for them) get any scholarships/grants/awards? Or did everyone just get 73k (or 72, I forget) in straight loans? Also excluding the medical diversity one you had to apply for.

For some reason I was under the impression that they gave out a pretty big chunk of $, but there's the very real possibility I have it confused with another school.

I received two scholarships. The only one that you can apply for is the diversity one (as far as I know, if someone knows different, I'd love to know about it) and the other ones are given out as Creighton sees fit. In general, I don't think that Creighton gives out that much money.

Looks like the committee met today again...accepted!!!!! :)

Interviewed 2/15

Just got notified of alternate status. Crossing my fingers for some movement, does anybody know if many people get in from alternate status?

Crossing my fingers for some movement, does anybody know if many people get in from alternate status?

While I don't have any concrete numbers, there is quite a bit of movement. Being a private school with a tuition that is high, many people give up their acceptances at Creighton in favor of their state school.

Congrats!! I'm just curious, how were you notified of your acceptance? email this afternoon?

Email around 2 pm (mountain time); though I don't get regular reception in my building, so there's a (slim) chance there was a phone call. Then when I checked, the letters were gone, so I guess that part really was true...

I just officially withdrew my application from consideration. Hopefully one of you can use the spot and the scholarship funds they offered me. I had the maximum medical dean scholarship offered so maybe some people may have theirs increase or someone new get it. Turning down that much money was definitely hard to do and the only reason I did was I had an acceptance to my top choice.

Best of luck to you all.

ACCEPTED TODAY BY EMAIL!!! FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!! :love::soexcited::highfive::clap::highfive::wow:

I am still in shock!!! So so happy!!!

Found out by email around 1130AM PST.

Anyone have suggestions about how to go about finding a roommate?

Withdrew my acceptance this morning and received a confirmation e-mail about 10 minutes later. Good luck to everyone hoping to get in!

interviewed this weekend 3/23. hoping to find out in about a month. fingers crossed.

Congratulations to all who have been accepted!!! :D

For those who have received the acceptance package, does it tell you to accept their offer within a certain period of time? I'm getting a bit worried because I live in Canada and mail might take quite a big longer to arrive. (I'm already >1 week after the acceptance email, so :S)

And also does anyone know when is the deadline to pay the tuition?

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations to all who have been accepted!!! :D

For those who have received the acceptance package, does it tell you to accept their offer within a certain period of time? I'm getting a bit worried because I live in Canada and mail might take quite a big longer to arrive. (I'm already >1 week after the acceptance email, so :S)

And also does anyone know when is the deadline to pay the tuition?

Thanks in advance!

It'll say 10 business days from the date at the top of the letter, but the office told me they're pretty relaxed about it. If you have any issues, definitely call/email right away. Mine took a long while to arrive, too, but I immediately sent back my paperwork and received a confirmation email within 3 days. NEST didn't work for me and I ended up sending a check, but they offer the option of paying your deposit online and that could help expedite things.

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll say 10 days from the date at the top of the letter, but the office told me they're pretty relaxed about it. If you have any issues, definitely call/email right away. Mine took a long while to arrive, too, but I immediately sent back my paperwork and received a confirmation email within 3 days. NEST didn't work for me and I ended up sending a check, but they offer the option of paying your deposit online and that could help expedite things.

Thanks for the reply! I'll probably call them tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply! I'll probably call them tomorrow.

Oh, and it's 10 business days... so technically two weeks, including weekends. The office is really helpful, so yeah, a call should clear up everything.

And congrats on getting in!! :claps:

So my letters just disappeared. The application site still shows status, payment, and the "update materials" section. I am SUPER nervous. Too many thoughts to handle. Am I wait-listed or accepted? Should I expect an email today? Should I call? Thoughts...?

So my letters just disappeared. The application site still shows status, payment, and the "update materials" section. I am SUPER nervous. Too many thoughts to handle. Am I wait-listed or accepted? Should I expect an email today? Should I call? Thoughts...?

I'm in the exact same situation... including the super nervous part!

Accepted today!!! Interviewed Feb. 22nd. Beyond happy and relieved. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

The disappearing letters means that they made a decision, but gives no indication on what that decision is. Go ahead and give them a call! That's what I did and they were super chill about it. Good luck!!! :)

Hi
I will be doing the same, I loved Creighton but I got into my state school. I was just wondering if you were planning on calling or writing an email? Just not sure if there is a right way that Creighton prefers.

Thanks and congrats!

Hi
I will be doing the same, I loved Creighton but I got into my state school. I was just wondering if you were planning on calling or writing an email? Just not sure if there is a right way that Creighton prefers.

Thanks and congrats!

I emailed them two weeks ago and it worked out for me. Just got the refund check in the mail yesterday.

For those who have been placed on the Waiting List, were you notified via email or snail mail?

Does anyone know what the chances are of getting accepted off the waitlist?

For those who have been placed on the Waiting List, were you notified via email or snail mail?

I was officially notified via a big envelope snail mail, which would have seemed cruel had I not already called and gotten the status update from Dee.

So I got a letter in the mail stating I have an "award" of $73k but it is listed as loans... so the award is basically like the money I am allowed to borrow right (without doing private loans)?

Ultimately I am pretty sure that I am going to withdraw this month, but this is my second choice school, so it will be difficult to do... :(

Does anyone know how you are notified about the medical dean's diversity scholarship - email or snail mail?

Does anyone know how you are notified about the medical dean's diversity scholarship - email or snail mail?

I would think this would be included in that financial aid breakdown correct? I got one sent by US mail today but it did not include any scholarships LOL... then again I did not do the scholarship essays.....

I never got either. I found out when I accepted my award.

So I got a letter in the mail stating I have an "award" of $73k but it is listed as loans... so the award is basically like the money I am allowed to borrow right (without doing private loans)?

Ultimately I am pretty sure that I am going to withdraw this month, but this is my second choice school, so it will be difficult to do... :(

Your award is your total financial aid package. If you did not receive any scholarships, then yes, it is the total amount of loans you can take out for the year.

I would think this would be included in that financial aid breakdown correct? I got one sent by US mail today but it did not include any scholarships LOL... then again I did not do the scholarship essays.....

I submitted my essays a day before my financial aid package was mailed to me, so there wouldn't have been time for it to be included in that letter. Just curious now how I'll find out whether or not I was awarded any $ from that scholarship. :eyebrow:

Status
Not open for further replies.