2012-2013 Duke University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone interviewing tomorrow want to grab some grub at the Millenium Hotel (I'm assuming this is where a lot of us are staying)? If so, PM me and we'll set it up.

sooooooooooo many better places to eat in Durham than the millenium hotel. If you can spare a cheap cab (like $10 bucks each way total, so it can be split) go somewhere near Main Street. Bull City Brewery is a great place to get burgers and NC-brewed beer. If you're looking for cheap+volume, go to Torero's (it got old for me, but if it's your first time it'll be fantastic).
 
Thanks for the heads up. I only said the hotel bc i thought people'd be here already. I rented a car if anyone needs to be picked up to grab dinner. let me know. And thanks for the save 5lippy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^I just noticed that too!! How strange...
Extra time for people to polish their secondary essays perhaps...
 
It'd be good for us 😉
Yep. I know at least 5 people who submitted but withdrew because they were not willing to write the essays. But that shouldn't be different from last year since the secondary's pretty similar....Nobody's posted news of an II in over 3 weeks. I wonder if it's just SDN or in general they haven't been sending invites to anybody.
 
Yep. I know at least 5 people who submitted but withdrew because they were not willing to write the essays. But that shouldn't be different from last year since the secondary's pretty similar....Nobody's posted news of an II in over 3 weeks. I wonder if it's just SDN or in general they haven't been sending invites to anybody.

While I've already been through here, that is interesting. For giving out 1000+ interviews, oddly quiet.
 
I think someone may have said they are giving less this year ~700 but still it is quite.

Every year people say a school says they cut down that year... not surprisingly, most don't. Unless, of course, it's coming from a reliable source (Dean, AdCom).
 
Every year people say a school says they cut down that year... not surprisingly, most don't. Unless, of course, it's coming from a reliable source (Dean, AdCom).

That's legit reasoning, often times they don't really decrease them. However, Duke said they had to cut things back to ~700 due to their switch to 100% MMI (i.e. perhaps smaller cohorts on interview day, or less days in general).
 
I think the deadline extension was due to the amcas deadline extension because of the hurricane.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could anyone tell me what is Duke Med's policy for updates after application submission? Do we just send an email? word document?

thanks! 🙂
 
Could anyone tell me what is Duke Med's policy for updates after application submission? Do we just send an email? word document?

thanks! 🙂

Yeah I think mr. Wallace said they could be sent to him if I recall correctly.
 
Have any PCLT applicants heard anything back? Or does anyone know if they take longer to invite/reject for PCLT? I'm not super concerned at this point, just curious if it's worth holding out hope after being complete for months
 
Have any PCLT applicants heard anything back? Or does anyone know if they take longer to invite/reject for PCLT? I'm not super concerned at this point, just curious if it's worth holding out hope after being complete for months

I too applied to the PCLT and haven't heard a peep since I submitted in early July. Earlier in this thread, when there was a lot of discussion about Duke's secondary, it seemed like most people were filling out the regular MD application, so I don't suspect there are many PCLT applicants on SDN, which is perhaps why nobody is mentioning it here. Perhaps the two of us have already been passed over? I'm not expecting good news from Duke at this point, but who knows!
 
I too applied to the PCLT and haven't heard a peep since I submitted in early July. Earlier in this thread, when there was a lot of discussion about Duke's secondary, it seemed like most people were filling out the regular MD application, so I don't suspect there are many PCLT applicants on SDN, which is perhaps why nobody is mentioning it here. Perhaps the two of us have already been passed over? I'm not expecting good news from Duke at this point, but who knows!

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines, although it seems like some rejections have gone out already so maybe we'll be re-reviewed later. Anyway, good luck!

Edit: But if I understand the previous post correctly, interview invitations for November are still rolling out. Hope springs eternal!
 
Last edited:
Have any PCLT applicants heard anything back? Or does anyone know if they take longer to invite/reject for PCLT? I'm not super concerned at this point, just curious if it's worth holding out hope after being complete for months

I also applied to PCLT and haven't heard anything, but I wasn't complete until mid-September so I expected to wait a while...Hopeful that they just haven't gotten to us yet?
 
Hmm, still awfully quiet even if they're giving out only 700 this year. Anyone know how many they've given thus far?
 
Hmm, still awfully quiet even if they're giving out only 700 this year. Anyone know how many they've given thus far?
I agree. Every week I tell myself they have to be sending something out soon since it's been so long and still no news.
 
I haven't found a single II past July complete dates. I'm sure there's an exception, but what's up, Duke? Think they're going to release like 400 of them at once? It's already November...
 
I haven't found a single II past July complete dates. I'm sure there's an exception, but what's up, Duke? Think they're going to release like 400 of them at once? It's already November...

I'm sure you'll get one. It's non-rolling so that should put you a little more at ease!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
deadline for DukeMed App appears to have been shifted a month

I think it's because of Hurricane Sandy. Saw on article that some schools were extending deadlines due to the storm. Duke must be one.
 
Interview invite a couple days ago via email! Complete about 3 months ago.

Congrats!

How Duke's letter service must feel right now:

animated-gifs-snail-51.gif
 
I was wondering this, since Duke is a non-rolling school, does anyone have an idea how the admissions committee goes about making desicions? Do they have a meeting in the Spring and then start making desicions on apps, or are they an internally rolling program and meet regularly to decide on apps throughout the interview season?
 
I was wondering this, since Duke is a non-rolling school, does anyone have an idea how the admissions committee goes about making desicions? Do they have a meeting in the Spring and then start making desicions on apps, or are they an internally rolling program and meet regularly to decide on apps throughout the interview season?

I was wondering this as well - read the bottom paragraph of this page:

http://dukemed.duke.edu/modules/ooa_applicant/index.php?id=6

Don't know if it's telling or not, but interesting
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know if Duke offers merit-based scholarships, and if so around how many and for how much?

on interview day they said 10-15 each year, but they didn't specify if that was 10-15 full tuition given out or a total of 10-15 full tuition that could be broken up into many smaller scholarships
 
Status
Not open for further replies.