2012-2013 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer my own question, for anyone else who is interested: FIU's secondary application has an "update" option so that the committee can view any update you want. You can submit it 3 times. Pretty cool.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does FIU offer OOS students scholarships? I know UCF offers OoS students some sort of scholarship.

On my interview day, they said that they do offer scholarships. The maximum they offer is an instate equivalent full ride, so even if you get that your tuition is still $30,000 (admittedly significant). Only thing they specified was to make sure that you fill out the fafsa and do it early, cause their funds are limited.
 
To answer my own question, for anyone else who is interested: FIU's secondary application has an "update" option so that the committee can view any update you want. You can submit it 3 times. Pretty cool.

I submitted an update in the beginning of january and received an interview invite 5 days later! I don't know if that was a coincidence, but I have a feeling it wasn't. Really doesn't hurt to try!

And thank you sknight!
 
On my interview day, they said that they do offer scholarships. The maximum they offer is an instate equivalent full ride, so even if you get that your tuition is still $30,000 (admittedly significant). Only thing they specified was to make sure that you fill out the fafsa and do it early, cause their funds are limited.

Is it purely merit based?
 
I submitted an update in the beginning of january and received an interview invite 5 days later! I don't know if that was a coincidence, but I have a feeling it wasn't. Really doesn't hurt to try!

And thank you sknight!

Really hoping that this happens for me too. I love when schools take updates, it just makes sense. Schools that don't bother me.
 
The tuition seems really high for a state school. Does anyone know what percentage of students get scholarship/aid?

I wish the school would list exactly what all the costs were going towards... why is FIU almost 16K more expensive than UCF or FSU (for just tuition/fees)? (27K vs 43K)

I do like the school and will attend the second look in March, but I guess even for in-state students, tuition is a big factor to consider when looking at schools. I just started organizing my finances and looking at potential loans today and it was a bit scary lol.
 
In December I sent them a quick email asking if there was any way I could check on the status of my application. (At that point I hadn't even realized how to use the website to do that yet) And instead of a response, the very next day I was offered an interview.
 
Interview on the 15th! Anyone know if there are still acceptance spots open or is it all waitlsit from now on?

The adcom hasn't waitlisted anyone yet, so one would assume there are still "open" spots. Last year, the waitlist came out in about this time or maybe mid-Feb.

Hang in there.

Let me know if you have any questions.
 
Have any acceptances gone out recently? I'm curious as to how far along the adcom is in terms of reviewing (still listed at "Committee Meeting Scheduled").
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where do most of the students live? Which is a safe area? I'm a bit worried about this since I've heard Miami can be pretty dangerous and I do not speak spanish at all.
 
Week of the 7th

That's odd. Because I interviewed on Friday of that same week and my status already says Admissions Committee Review Complete as of 1/22. Based on what people have already said on this forum, I'm hoping that means I will hear word on FIU's decision some time tomorrow...
 
That's odd. Because I interviewed on Friday of that same week and my status already says Admissions Committee Review Complete as of 1/22. Based on what people have already said on this forum, I'm hoping that means I will hear word on FIU's decision some time tomorrow...

Just got switched to Admissions Committee Review Complete yesterday. Are you instate? Maybe there are different reviews for IS vs. OOS or something. Anyways, hoping to get good news 👍
 
I know there's a popular apt right across the street from the med school called vista verde and there is graduate housing on campus even closer by but it doesn't look that great inside.

So my status changed to "admissions committee review complete" yesterday. According to what everyone else experienced, I should hear back from them in around 2 weeks?
 
Any II lately? Preliminary review complete 1/16 and I sent in an update as well, hoping for an II soon.
 
There are a few areas that most of us live in that are safe and affordable but you'll need roomates. Check out Doral (where I live), Brickell, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, and Vista Verde right across from campus.

Miami is no more dangerous than any other big city, however there are some dangerous neighborhoods (like all big cities). No one that I know at FIU lives in any of those areas.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
 
There are a few areas that most of us live in that are safe and affordable but you'll need roomates. Check out Doral (where I live), Brickell, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, and Vista Verde right across from campus.

Miami is no more dangerous than any other big city, however there are some dangerous neighborhoods (like all big cities). No one that I know at FIU lives in any of those areas.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hey Ironmandoc,

So you said earlier in this thread that you have a full tuition scholarship. I also heard during my interview that Mr. Wertheim himself selects three students each year to receive a full tuition scholarship. So is that the scholarship that you received, Ironmandoc? Also, I'm OOS, so I'm wondering.... is that scholarship only for those paying in-state tuition or could an OOSer somehow get completely free tuition as yourself?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am also curious about scholarship information. I really liked both FIU and UCF, and I am hoping some fin aid could help me choose between the two. I reported my parents income on FAFSA, hoping that they take this into consideration considering my family's financial situation. Any idea when scholarships are offered or if a student will know before May 15th? Thanks!
 
Hey Ironmandoc,

So you said earlier in this thread that you have a full tuition scholarship. I also heard during my interview that Mr. Wertheim himself selects three students each year to receive a full tuition scholarship. So is that the scholarship that you received, Ironmandoc? Also, I'm OOS, so I'm wondering.... is that scholarship only for those paying in-state tuition or could an OOSer somehow get completely free tuition as yourself?

HuskyHunter, the scholarship that I received was from Dr. Wertheim for four years full tuition (IS). The scholarship amount is the same whether IS or OOS. Someone in my class who is OOS received one of the scholarships too and essentially pays the difference between IS and OOS. I hope that makes sense. Dr. Wertheim's scholarships are merit based and he hand picks them.

I am also curious about scholarship information. I really liked both FIU and UCF, and I am hoping some fin aid could help me choose between the two. I reported my parents income on FAFSA, hoping that they take this into consideration considering my family's financial situation. Any idea when scholarships are offered or if a student will know before May 15th? Thanks!

rrxcrunner- there are a bunch of 5k scholarships that are given out each year first come, first served based on when you completed your FAFSA. For example, I didn't complete my FAFSA until February and there weren't any left. As for the May 15th acceptance holding deadline, Dr. Wertheim didn't let me know about my scholarship until AFTER May 15th. This is probably because he wants to give scholarships to students who want to attend his school for reasons other than purely financial. I can say that as the school grows the amount of scholarship dollars is definitely growing.

Best of luck!
 
Your explanation was crystal clear, Ironmandoc. I also have a feeling that you are the student I talked to the day of my interview.
 
Hey, do you mind sharing your stats? and how your interview went. Also did they say anything on when they might be sending out more letters? THANKS

33N. 3.9 both gpas. OOS

I mean, it's a closed file interview, so it was basically me trying to hit all of the points on my resume and talk about all of the things I have done. I was able to hit all my key attributes, between my two interviews. (For those of you that haven't interviewed yet and want to know the structure, I'd advise reading the rest of this thread for what everyone else has said about the interviews.) I'd say everyone on here is pretty accurate. Although the general opinion seems to be that the interviews are "relaxed". I wouldn't go that far, although I only have one other interview to compare it to. In my experience interviewing for other positions, it's never a good idea to go into an interview thinking it will be lax. I once made the mistake of doing that when I was interviewing for a job I had already been doing for the past year... and had been doing well... and long story short, I actually didn't get invited back to do the job again. The reason? I had not hit the talking points I should have in that re-interview like I had during the previous year's interview. My advice is to make sure you're able to say what you need to say to make yourself stand out. Don't fall into the trap of talking about your boring every day hobbies even if they ask that question directly. Spin it into something that says more about you and/or your resume.

As far as when they'll send out more letters... That's not exactly something they would put in an acceptance email, haha, you're already in! And when someone from the committee or whatever called me later that day, it was not even remotely on my mind, sorry guys.
 
Can anyone tell me if this school does not send out II's (or any other notification) via email?--i remember there was one school on my list that stated this, but can't remember which.
thanks guys!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone tell me if this school does not send out II's (or any other notification) via email?--i remember there was one school on my list that stated this, but can't remember which.
thanks guys!

Essentially everything is sent via email. The only non-email form of communication I received from them was the acceptance call after my acceptance email haha Hope you hear something soon!
 
Essentially everything is sent via email. The only non-email form of communication I received from them was the acceptance call after my acceptance email haha Hope you hear something soon!

thanks!...now to figure out which school didn't communicate by email..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.