2012-2013 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FSU not charging a fee until you're accepted is pretty chill.

I do have a problem with the schools that don't have any real goal of interviewing you but will send a secondary. I noticed that the schools that were the worst were the ones where I did stand a chance though. Hell, my dad went to NYMC, was AOA and donated every year. The app consisted of "1) Do you know anyone that went here? 2) Pay us 130 dollars. 3) Don't call us. We will call you, maybe."

Ok, the quote marks may be a lie, but that is what it felt like

Well the dont call us we will call you seems off. They seem to take updates however they dont seem to reply much if at all.

Members don't see this ad.

I remember calling them and they told me to email them and refer to their website. I was officially rejected the next year after finishing anatomy.

OMG it should be pretty soon for II's for EDPs right? does anybody know if you have a better shot with an EDP interview as opposed to a regular admission interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
FSU not charging a fee until you're accepted is pretty chill.

I do have a problem with the schools that don't have any real goal of interviewing you but will send a secondary. I noticed that the schools that were the worst were the ones where I did stand a chance though. Hell, my dad went to NYMC, was AOA and donated every year. The app consisted of "1) Do you know anyone that went here? 2) Pay us 130 dollars. 3) Don't call us. We will call you, maybe."

Ok, the quote marks may be a lie, but that is what it felt like

I almost snorted coffee over my computer when I read this :laugh:. Was the subtle Carly Rae Jepsen reference on purpose or on accident?

OMG it should be pretty soon for II's for EDPs right? does anybody know if you have a better shot with an EDP interview as opposed to a regular admission interview?

I think it's pretty relative. It all depends on the stats of the pool of applicants that applied for EDP.

Anyway, I submitted my secondary yesterday, so the wait officially begins. Good luck to all!!

what are we supposed to write about in the "critical analysis" essay that we haven't already mentioned in our personal statement? Seems ultimately like the exact same topic

I almost snorted coffee over my computer when I read this :laugh:. Was the subtle Carly Rae Jepsen reference on purpose or on accident?

Mosspoh is definitely not that hip. I'm sure it was on accident.

Note: I had to look up who Carly Rae jepsen is.....

I am so unhip, I am hip. Even with being so unhippingly hip, I don't willfully associate with Canadians, so it was purely an accident.

Just a second-hand source, but I heard EDP interviews are conducted during the first weeks of the Fall semester. II's should come out within the next few weeks.

In the past, the majority of EDP interviews have taken place in September and go till they interview or review all those applicants. In short, yes, interviews should start being offered soon.

sweet! i'm excited! hopefully i will find better luck this time around...if not, here i come SMPs!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the complete e-mail and I checked my status online and it says "Application Under Review by the Office of Admissions" does everyone get this status changed after being complete?

I just got the complete e-mail and I checked my status online and it says "Application Under Review by the Office of Admissions" does everyone get this status changed after being complete?

Yes, prepare for a potentially long wait at that status.

for those of you that submitted your secondary, how long did it take for them to send you the email saying that your application is complete?

less than 24 hours, but i sent my secondary in after a little over 24 hours...so secondary sent in 7-11-12 and became under review on 7-12-12.

less than 24 hours, but i sent my secondary in after a little over 24 hours...so secondary sent in 7-11-12 and became under review on 7-12-12.
Thanks!

Verified today. Secondary was received 7/10, submitted 7/17.

Hope I'll get to meet some of you there. My top choice right now. :)

Hey guys,

Did you guys put your character letters within your letter packet?

Hey, is anybody else an EDP too? If so, have you heard anything yet cause I haven't. :/

I called them and asked all these questions because I have other interviews in FL and want to spend my resources wisely. They told me that they are starting to review EDP applicants this week and have not yet gotten to regular applicants. So I'm guessing we have a long wait left until any kind of interview invite/status update.

I called them and asked all these questions because I have other interviews in FL and want to spend my resources wisely. They told me that they are starting to review EDP applicants this week and have not yet gotten to regular applicants. So I'm guessing we have a long wait left until any kind of interview invite/status update.

Thanks for the update, at least we can now expect a long wait

FijiGNR89, if you don't mind me asking, what other interviews do you have in Florida? I'm curious what other Florida schools have started sending out II's.

FijiGNR89, if you don't mind me asking, what other interviews do you have in Florida? I'm curious what other Florida schools have started sending out II's.

Both DO schools and UF have started.

Bingo. I think UCF might start tomorrow, based on what an adcom member said in that thread.

I know it isn't going to sway anyone, but this year seems to be a great year for Step 2 scores. The national average is about a 10-15 point increase from step 1 (closer to 10 points usually).

So far, nearly everyone I've talked to has done exceptionally well. We had a few 30 point jumps and even in those with higher step 1s, 20+ points. I am hesitant to say it is because of the curriculum, but it does show that you are given the opportunity to succeed.

I know it isn't going to sway anyone, but this year seems to be a great year for Step 2 scores. The national average is about a 10-15 point increase from step 1 (closer to 10 points usually).

So far, nearly everyone I've talked to has done exceptionally well. We had a few 30 point jumps and even in those with higher step 1s, 20+ points. I am hesitant to say it is because of the curriculum, but it does show that you are given the opportunity to succeed.

And to think they're doing some "re-designing" as we speak... I love new things, but something as sensitive as a medical curriculum makes me a little weary.

On another note - WHITE COATS TONIGHT! Boom goes the dynamite.

You had me at step 2 ....

And to think they're doing some "re-designing" as we speak... I love new things, but something as sensitive as a medical curriculum makes me a little weary.

On another note - WHITE COATS TONIGHT! Boom goes the dynamite.

So you get white coats after first semester here?

They won't change how 3rd year runs too much. There are a fair amount of data on curriculum design for first 2 years as well.

I recently toured FSU COM and the Gross Anatomy, Embryo, etc. is all the summer semester before 1st year, correct (technically it's a part of MS1 year)? because they start earlier to get students "adjusted." I spoke with Dana Urrutia and Dr. Patrick and neither were able to disclose an average Step 1 score for this past years MS2 students. Does FSU publish their averages online or anything? My understanding is that Step 1 is very important in determining competitiveness for residency programs.

I recently toured FSU COM and the Gross Anatomy, Embryo, etc. is all the summer semester before 1st year, correct (technically it's a part of MS1 year)? because they start earlier to get students "adjusted." I spoke with Dana Urrutia and Dr. Patrick and neither were able to disclose an average Step 1 score for this past years MS2 students. Does FSU publish their averages online or anything? My understanding is that Step 1 is very important in determining competitiveness for residency programs.

Medical schools do not publish their board scores. Some schools will mention or allude to them during interviews, but I warn students from taking to much stock in them. You can't confirm their data because its not published and they won't release their raw data to you under any circumstances.

Also, Step is much more about the student than the school. We all have access to the same resources for board studying. No school has the "secret weapon" for blowing up the boards. Average step 1 scores is a reflection of the cumulative individual work of the school's students. Not really anything the school does or does not. I know 3rd years at FSU that worked really hard to score well and did so with 250+ scores. I also know 3rd years that didn't work as hard or take it as seriously and score around the mean or lower. It is the effort that matters in the end. Not the school.

That being said, FSU states their average scores are traditionally within 1 or 2 points, above or below, of the national average; which is usually around 224.

Yea, you'll find lots of schools will give their "average score" but a lot of times they'll drop people who a) failed b) dropped out or c) took a leave of absence. FSU does ok....the numbers are usually a couple points below average. I vaguely recall the number 219 being thrown around, but I could be wrong. I think a lot of that has to do with a lot of students who know they are going into easier specialties to match so don't work quite as hard for step 1 (no offense). Regardless, like previously said, it's about the individual. Most of my friends broke 240, the rest over 230. On step 2, even though it's a really small sample size, I've heard that about a little over a half dozen people have scored above or very near 260.

Just a continuation of what my buddy said, it always seemed to be a bit of a bimodal distribution. By the nature of the school, many people are interested in primary care and don't feel the pressure to study as hard for step 1. (keep in mind that not studying hard in medical school is still a ton more than anything in undergrad) The very self-driven people who are interested in the "competitive" specialties or certain locations tend to consistently gun a bit harder.

I really don't think the school has as much impact on the averages as much as the type of personalities they admit. A student at Wash U. who blew up the exam would, in all likelihood, rock the USMLE at Duke, Toledo, Touro, FSU or SABA as well. Most people use the same texts, get the same review guides and buy the same question banks. The trivia questions and fine details of each course are usually forgotten and rarely/minimally tested on the USMLE.

Choose the school you are most comfortable at and affords you the best chance at personal success.

Just a continuation of what my buddy said, it always seemed to be a bit of a bimodal distribution. By the nature of the school, many people are interested in primary care and don't feel the pressure to study as hard for step 1. (keep in mind that not studying hard in medical school is still a ton more than anything in undergrad) The very self-driven people who are interested in the "competitive" specialties or certain locations tend to consistently gun a bit harder.

I really don't think the school has as much impact on the averages as much as the type of personalities they admit. A student at Wash U. who blew up the exam would, in all likelihood, rock the USMLE at Duke, Toledo, Touro, FSU or SABA as well. Most people use the same texts, get the same review guides and buy the same question banks. The trivia questions and fine details of each course are usually forgotten and rarely/minimally tested on the USMLE.

Choose the school you are most comfortable at and affords you the best chance at personal success.

I'm your buddy? Awwwww......lol

Just got my interview invite!!!!!!! September 7!!!! WOOOOOOO!

Congrats! When did you get sent for review?

Does anybody know if you have a better chance of getting in if you received an EDP interview vs a regular interview?

Does anybody know if you have a better chance of getting in if you received an EDP interview vs a regular interview?

That is a very relative question. I wish I could help more :/ but I'm sure everyone else will say the same. I saw this exact same question posted in another thread.

I imagine you will have a little better chance since your stats are required to be better for EDP, but that is just my logic.

Anyone leave any of the questions blank? Such as the one of what a professor wouldnt know about me? I summarized myself pretty well in my AMCAS.

Not smart to leave questions blank...they ask them for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.