2012-2013 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The wait for a decision is going to be the death of me....:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo has anyone seen any good movies lately?

guys, I'm at work right now and was laughing so much haha I can relate to like 99% of these hahahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys/gals... NewPathway student here... We are wrapping up our interview season tomorrow!!! This is providing we don't cancel the interview day for the storm (we close at noon). So, we are about to start comparing you to each other...yikes. You all, barring few exceptions (i.e. the guy who felt the need to announce to the class that he was unimpressed with the level of knowledge), would do perfectly well in this setting. So, we have to split hairs. Remember, it's not about how "good" you are at this point but about how your experience will add value the class of 2017...Well, at HST it might be about how good you are ;). Don't fret. All of you will get into great schools. Acceptances will go out in mid to late March, so be ready...and strongly consider HMS if you are excepted. Good luck to you all.

do you think people that interviewed early in the cycle have already decisions made (internally) ?

are nonrolling admissions essentially like rolling without decisions being released until March?

Uhhhhhhhhhh no. We are truly rolling admissions. The vote to send you to the main committee from your geographic subcommittee is made sometime closer to your interview, but the main committee doesn't meet to review applications 'til crunch time. Further, there is no limit to the number that can go to the main committee.

Hey guys/gals... NewPathway student here... We are wrapping up our interview season tomorrow!!! This is providing we don't cancel the interview day for the storm (we close at noon). So, we are about to start comparing you to each other...yikes. You all, barring few exceptions (i.e. the guy who felt the need to announce to the class that he was unimpressed with the level of knowledge), would do perfectly well in this setting. So, we have to split hairs. Remember, it's not about how "good" you are at this point but about how your experience will add value the class of 2017...Well, at HST it might be about how good you are ;). Don't fret. All of you will get into great schools. Acceptances will go out in mid to late March, so be ready...and strongly consider HMS if you are excepted. Good luck to you all.

Are you ****ing serious?

Are you ****ing serious?

It's called voice dictation on iPad... It doesn't get everything correct, but yes I am "****ing serious." Further, I know it seems outlandish (to you) for a person to make a mistake, but it's really not... even a person who attends HMS. Trust me, your ability to locate homonym used incorrectly doesn't add value to your class. We can all do that. So, if you're depending on that to make you stand out to the committee, you're **** out of luck... However, you might try applying to our GSAS to get a PhD in English or rhetoric.

Let's see if s/he catches the homophone/homonym switch up...Then we'll know he missed his calling. Lol

It's called voice dictation on iPad... It doesn't get everything correct, but yes I am "****ing serious." Further, I know it seems outlandish (to you) for a person to make a mistake, but it's really not... even a person who attends HMS. Trust me, your ability to locate homonym used incorrectly doesn't add value to your class. We can all do that. So, if you're depending on that to make you stand out to the committee, you're **** out of luck... However, you might try applying to our GSAS to get a PhD in English or rhetoric.

What a classy response. Somehow I don't think that answer helps people believe you're actually an HMS student. I hear people like you wouldn't add value to the class.

Harvard must've been low on its quota of smarmy cu.nts when they decided to accept you. Is this attitude what you mean when you talk about 'adding to a class'? Sounds like a great environment for learning.

No one has commented yet on this...

At my interview they said it would be early March (like the first few days), but I'm sure there are endless reasons why this could be postponed a couple weeks or so. I'm not going to be so neurotic and try to discern when they will come out, but I will be checking my email every ten minutes starting on the first.

Do they give any decisions on the weekends?

Uhhhhhhhhhh no. We are truly rolling admissions. The vote to send you to the main committee from your geographic subcommittee is made sometime closer to your interview, but the main committee doesn't meet to review applications 'til crunch time. Further, there is no limit to the number that can go to the main committee.

Not that it really matters at this point because I already interviewed, but does this mean that Harvard is truly NON-rolling admissions?

Also, I just realized that it will soon be the year of the (black water) snake and I'm so excited!! My spirit animal is the black mamba (when it's not a honey badger), so I'm hoping my Harvard application will bring me good fortunes!!

"There are motherf***ing snakes on this motherf***ing plane!!"

Not that it really matters at this point because I already interviewed, but does this mean that Harvard is truly NON-rolling admissions?

Also, I just realized that it will soon be the year of the (black water) snake and I'm so excited!! My spirit animal is the black mamba (when it's not a honey badger), so I'm hoping my Harvard application will bring me good fortunes!!

"There are motherf***ing snakes on this motherf***ing plane!!"

I can't decide if this is the most awesome or most strange post I've ever read. Possibly both. I'll get back to you in a couple hours when it's been processed. :)

I can't decide if this is the most awesome or most strange post I've ever read. Possibly both. I'll get back to you in a couple hours when it's been processed. :)

Haha, thank you so much - that is the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me! People have also said that I am "captivating."

I know being bat **** crazy will "add value" to my class.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1360345226.686701.jpg Before I say what I have to say, I figured I should prove that I am actually at HMS. As you can see, Castle Society is behind my iPad with this thread on it.

View attachment 22568 Before I say what I have to say, I figured I should prove that I am actually at HMS. As you can see, Castle Society is behind my iPad with this thread on it.

From my limited experience at HMS, the students seemed pretty intense (they seemed happy but looked worn out) compared to other schools like Columbia where the students were extremely happy. Can you talk about your experiences at HMS- how you find the students (happy, cut throat, anti-social), and how you yourself feel (whether or not you feel that you might have been happier at another school?)? Thanks.

Harvard must've been low on its quota of smarmy cu.nts when they decided to accept you. Is this attitude what you mean when you talk about 'adding to a class'? Sounds like a great environment for learning.

I really cannot believe the response to my comment. I was just trying to help alleviate the stress associated with waiting on acceptances by letting you all know that if you interviewed here, you will get into a really good school. So,there's nothing to worry about. Then, some person says "are you ****ing serious," highlighting a grammatical error that was actually made by my iPad. I was perturbed by the disrespectful way s/he addressed this error, which was totally ridiculous and rude. Then, when I take this person on, the crowd says I'm out of line. I don't get that. Anyway, I'm not going roll around in the mud with you. I would just say that my response was totally appropriate. If you want to talk to me about this, message me your email, and I will respond. We can even talk over the phone if you'd like.

What a classy response. Somehow I don't think that answer helps people believe you're actually an HMS student. I hear people like you wouldn't add value to the class.

Well, you can email on my hms email. We can talk about it. Meet me in person if you're from the Boston area. We can certainly hash out any problems you may have.

Last edited:
I really cannot believe the response to my comment. I was just trying to help alleviate the stress associated with waiting on acceptances by letting you all know that if you interviewed here, you will get into a really good school. So,there's nothing to worry about. Then, some person says "are you ****ing serious," highlighting a grammatical error that was actually made by my iPad. I was perturbed by the disrespectful way s/he addressed this error, which was totally ridiculous and rude. Then, when I take this person on, the crowd says I'm out of line. I don't get that. Anyway, I'm not going roll around in the mud with you. I would just say that my response was totally appropriate. If you want to talk to me about this, message me your email, and I will respond. We can even talk over the phone if you'd like.

dude you're Harvard NP. take the high road among these peons.

Dude, second of all, you go to Harvard, arguably the best medical school in the world. You don't need to engage in the petty drama of internet forums. Do not let it bother you - just have inner peace knowing where you are and where the rest of us posting on this forum are. Also, you go to Harvard and you don't have time to take phone calls from strangers. But thank you for your contributions to the forum and for trying to ease our worries!

Well, you can email me at _____. We can talk about it. Meet me in person if you're from the Boston area. We can certainly hash out any problems you may have.

Also gdamn, your past is incredible. I have 0 chance in comparison to people like you. :oops:

1. It's the internet. What's the number 1 rule of the internet? Ignore 99% of the comments.

2. You're at HMS. You literally don't have to sweat $h!t, especially a random poster on a random forum.

3. You seemed cool in person when we (very briefly) met. Also, many people spoke very highly of you. Try to keep that up, and not wallow in the mud on here. Given your background, you should know how to keep cool and not engage.

4. It's the internet. What's the number 2 rule of the internet? Be as anonymous as possible. So... maybe delete your email address?

5. Thanks for the heads up re. decision dates.

Just looked this dude up-great story.

I think everyone missed the key verbiage in my very first comment. I said being better (i.e. better numbers, not actually better) does very little for a person in this stage of the game. Thus, I am not any better than the people who didn't get accepted here or to medical school at all for that matter. I just happened to have something HMS wanted, and it was not my 4.0 GPA or my 36 (middle of the road here) MCAT. In fact, I'm not sure what it was, but they wanted me. That doesn't mean I am any better than anyone else. I just got lucky that I had what they needed. You guys aren't "peons" or below me. You are my future colleagues. I would hope that when you are physicians, you will address simple errors with more class than the "are you ****ing serious" guy. I wish you ALL the best of luck, and despite the cold welcome, I will try to answer your questions on this feed. I am doing this as a favor to you because I want all of you to be informed enough to make a good decision about where to get your education. This is a tough time... I was there! I had Hopkins and others in the bag, but I really wanted Harvard, so it was still tough. I will do my best to elucidate cloudy areas and to quell you fears/concerns. Hit me up if you need something... And come to Revisit! We are working our asses off to make it special for the incoming class.

what were things that you wish you had known about the school--program, curriculum, expectations of students--before going to harvard, anything that would have helped to inform your decision about going and/or prepare for the transition to the school? What are the weaknesses of the program, as you see it? Thanks!

Last edited:
would you recommend sending any update letters/letters of interest at this point?

I think everyone missed the key verbiage in my very first comment. I said being better (i.e. better numbers, not actually better) does very little for a person in this stage of the game. Thus, I am not any better than the people who didn't get accepted here or to medical school at all for that matter. I just happened to have something HMS wanted, and it was not my 4.0 GPA or my 36 (middle of the road here) MCAT. In fact, I'm not sure what it was, but they wanted me. That doesn't mean I am any better than anyone else. I just got lucky that I had what they needed. You guys aren't "peons" or below me. You are my future colleagues. I would hope that when you are physicians, you will address simple errors with more class than the "are you ****ing serious" guy. I wish you ALL the best of luck, and despite the cold welcome, I will try to answer your questions on this feed. I am doing this as a favor to you because I want all of you to be informed enough to make a good decision about where to get your education. This is a tough time... I was there! I had Hopkins and others in the bag, but I really wanted Harvard, so it was still tough. I will do my best to elucidate cloudy areas and to quell you fears/concerns. Hit me up if you need something... And come to Revisit! We are working our asses off to make it special for the incoming class.

i'll tell you why they wanted you: 4.0, 36, Navy, Amazing Background, Valedictorian, and...URM. you're like jesus.

i kneel before you, good sir.

Hey buddy, you haven't answered my question above yet.

would you recommend sending any update letters/letters of interest at this point?

+1. Received authorship on a paper, wondering if I should send an update. I'm 7th author out of 13 though... worth it at all? I interviewed in October...

Last edited:
i'll tell you why they wanted you: 4.0, 36, Navy, Amazing Background, Valedictorian, and...URM. you're like jesus.

i kneel before you, good sir.

Haha. Embarrassing. Before kneeling you should read his other posts, especially on the dental thread....

Haha. Embarrassing. Before kneeling you should read his other posts, especially on the dental thread....

Rico, I agree that there is nothing that special about me, but the dental thread guy had it coming. He essentially made a lot of hard work worthless because he was "appalled," and HSDM made them take the video down. I really do hate how hypercritical people are of Harvard.... It's like the end of the world if we don't live up to the world's view of us. I would say that's the worst part about affiliating with Harvard, but I guess the world view is also a major benefit.

+1. Received authorship on a paper, wondering if I should send an update. I'm 7th author out of 13 though... worth it at all? I interviewed in October...

I'd say do it if you feel like it... We really wouldn't care much about that though. The important thing is that you have been a part of important research, which I'm sure you've already established.

what were things that you wish you had known about the school--program, curriculum, expectations of students--before going to harvard, anything that would have helped to inform your decision about going and/or prepare for the transition to the school? What are the weaknesses of the program, as you see it? Thanks!

I don't like that 1st years run everything here... It's a major cultural problem. That being said, I love EVERYTHING else about this place. I think the biggest thing to think about is that HMS students are so overprivileged. We have so many opportunities. This has a tendency to enhance the careers of HMS grads in ways they probably wouldn't have been enhanced had they chosen other schools. One example, our alumni hold 8 times the number of Dept Head positions (at academic institutions) as the next closest school, and it's not because we are 8 times better... It's because we are the beneficiaries of unequal opportunities in medical education and beyond. There are too many examples of this to even begin to list.

Status
Not open for further replies.