2012-2013 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did submit an essay for this one. Hard to tell, but if you have information that you want to convey to them that is not conveyed elsewhere (diversity/why Harvard essay/etc.), then it doesn't seem like it would hurt to put that. Perhaps others can weigh in on how they took this prompt?

I left it blank. They did make it seem like it was bothersome if people put a bunch of bs in there. I didn't have anything crazy enough to warrant filling it in. My diversity is already spread throughout my primary application. I did fill out the HST essay. I don't think the NP program sees that, though.

Members don't see this ad.

I left it blank. They did make it seem like it was bothersome if people put a bunch of bs in there. I didn't have anything crazy enough to warrant filling it in. My diversity is already spread throughout my primary application. I did fill out the HST essay. I don't think the NP program sees that, though.

same here, I didn't want to put in useless information or fluff. I also filled out the HST essay and no the NP program doesn't see it. the two programs review the applications seperately. you even have different interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invite :) :) :) Signed up for October 15th! Ahhhhhhhhhhh so happy

II this morning! Also, I did not write anything for the optional essay section. Anyone know the interview stats (# given, % of interviewees accepted)?

II this morning! Also, I did not write anything for the optional essay section. Anyone know the interview stats (# given, % of interviewees accepted)?
Re: Interview Stats:

The HMS Admissions page lists the following for the 2011 class:
5,435 applications completed
800-1000 applicants interviewed
165 students enroll in the class
http://hms.harvard.edu/content/class-statistics

Last year someone posted from US News that the percentage was 235 accepted/960 interviewed = 24%

Thanks so much! I can always use some luck at any interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invite :) :) :) Signed up for October 15th! Ahhhhhhhhhhh so happy

I signed up for that day too! I'm still in shock that I'm going to interview here!!!

If we submitted around July 25th, and still haven't heard anything, should we assume that we've been rejected?

If we submitted around July 25th, and still haven't heard anything, should we assume that we've been rejected?

No, it's definitely variable, don't lose hope yet! I submitted around the same time you did and didn't hear back about an interview invite until December. Hang in there!

how much lead time do they give you for getting there for an interview? getting a ticket a week before would be hella expensive!

Any suggestions on the best way to get from Logan Airport to the Longwood area? My flight will be arriving pretty late at night.

Any suggestions on the best way to get from Logan Airport to the Longwood area? My flight will be arriving pretty late at night.

If it's before 12:30 am, you can ride the T (subway). If it's after 12:30 am, taxi is probably your best bet. Public transportation shuts down late at night. Taxis will be floating outside all the terminals at Logan.

To get from the airport to Longwood:

Take the Silverline bus to South Station
Take the red line (inbound, towards Alewife) to Park Street
Switch to the green E line (outbound towards Heath Street)
Get off at Longwood Station (it's about 8 stops)

Walking down Longwood Avenue (perpendicular to Huntington, the street the subway travels down) will bring you to Vanderbilt Hall (dorm) on your right and the medical Quad on your left. At the far end of the medical quad is Gordon Hall, where you'll start off interview day.

Subway fare is $2.50. I'd recommend having a couple of singles, so you can insert money once on the bus. Transfers from the bus to red to green lines are free. It should be fairly straightforward. Just be careful to get on the E line (not B, C, or D), and even though there are signs pointing to the track where E trains technically should arrive at Park Street, sometimes the train can arrive on other tracks as well, so just look out for that. Here's a map of the Boston T system in case you wanted to look it over before: Subway Map

If it's before 12:30 am, you can ride the T (subway). If it's after 12:30 am, taxi is probably your best bet. Public transportation shuts down late at night. Taxis will be floating outside all the terminals at Logan.

To get from the airport to Longwood:

Take the Silverline bus to South Station
Take the red line (inbound, towards Alewife) to Park Street
Switch to the green E line (outbound towards Heath Street)
Get off at Longwood Station (it's about 8 stops)

Walking down Longwood Avenue (perpendicular to Huntington, the street the subway travels down) will bring you to Vanderbilt Hall (dorm) on your right and the medical Quad on your left. At the far end of the medical quad is Gordon Hall, where you'll start off interview day.

Subway fare is $2.50. I'd recommend having a couple of singles, so you can insert money once on the bus. Transfers from the bus to red to green lines are free. It should be fairly straightforward. Just be careful to get on the E line (not B, C, or D), and even though there are signs pointing to the track where E trains technically should arrive at Park Street, sometimes the train can arrive on other tracks as well, so just look out for that. Here's a map of the Boston T system in case you wanted to look it over before: Subway Map

Wow this is perfect. Thanks for the help!:thumbup:

Ok so I got the II, but I literally can't schedule it until November.

Does waiting that long hurt my chances of getting in? If so, should I cancel another interview so that I can schedule Harvard's sooner?

Ok so I got the II, but I literally can't schedule it until November.

Does waiting that long hurt my chances of getting in? If so, should I cancel another interview so that I can schedule Harvard's sooner?

Harvard is non-rolling admissions. The date has no impact once you've received an interview invite. Good luck! I can only hope to be in your shoes soon.

Harvard is non-rolling admissions. The date has no impact once you've received an interview invite. Good luck! I can only hope to be in your shoes soon.
THANK GOD.

Hey best of luck, hopefully I'll see you there! :)

My interview is Monday. Just bought new dress shoes and a belt to replace my tattered excuses for, well, dress shoes and a belt. Suit's tailored, hair is cut... now if I could only find a way to hide my unbelievably consistent awkwardness :). I hope these interviews are relatively relaxed. And I hope it doesn't rain.

Anybody else going to be there Monday? I'll be the guy in the suit.

My interview is Monday. Just bought new dress shoes and a belt to replace my tattered excuses for, well, dress shoes and a belt. Suit's tailored, hair is cut... now if I could only find a way to hide my unbelievably consistent awkwardness :). I hope these interviews are relatively relaxed. And I hope it doesn't rain.

Anybody else going to be there Monday? I'll be the guy in the suit.

I don't know what else to say but...

Great job! :thumbup:

II, I can't believe it! :eek: Complete 9/6. I also left the optional essay blank.

Hi guys, are any of you with invites having problems finding the INTERVIEW TAB? I got an email but can't find the tab on my status page!!! :/

Does Harvard send a "complete" email? Because all I got was the "received" email.

Does Harvard send a "complete" email? Because all I got was the "received" email.

Just go online and check your status. It will say "Application Complete" with a green circled check mark next to it.

Is Harvard receptive to 'in the area' emails? I sent one to Columbia this morning and got an II three hours later, so I'm a little amped right now. From a quick google search and a look on their FAQs page, I couldn't find anything condoning or advising against it. My trip out to the East Coast will be the 14th-26th of October, so trying to finalize plans soon.

Does harvard to silent rejections? how much after being complete do they usually get to an application?

New Pathways invite today! C 8/2. I was losing hope because people complete the same time as I started getting invites in late August, but I guess they finally got around to me.

So yes - to those who haven't heard don't lose hope! 3.72/3.66/35

The online system isn't showing me an interview tab yet though. But I got the email.

Hi guys, are any of you with invites having problems finding the INTERVIEW TAB? I got an email but can't find the tab on my status page!!! :/

omg I'm having this problem too! Thank god I'm not the only one. I emailed the application people.

EDIT: update - the application people responded to my email within 10 minutes and fixed the problem. Just email the app guys - they'll figure it out for you!

Last edited:
I also received a NP interview invite this morning. Complete 9/12, sGPA 3.9 MCAT 39. I honestly can't stop smiling right now. I never expected this and I'm so excited. Good luck to the rest of you waiting!

Is Harvard receptive to 'in the area' emails? I sent one to Columbia this morning and got an II three hours later, so I'm a little amped right now. From a quick google search and a look on their FAQs page, I couldn't find anything condoning or advising against it. My trip out to the East Coast will be the 14th-26th of October, so trying to finalize plans soon.

So I sent one and got an II like 20 minutes later so Id think so. Interestingly though, Columbia took about 3 weeks and I was actually in NYC when I got the invitation so I'll have to go back.

So I sent one and got an II like 20 minutes later so Id think so. Interestingly though, Columbia took about 3 weeks and I was actually in NYC when I got the invitation so I'll have to go back.

Columbia was the one who got back to me with the quickness (couple hours). Sent one to Harvard yesterday. Fingers crossed. Harvard rejected me undergrad, though, so they might have a thing against me :-D

How much weight should I put into this letter I received from Harvard telling me I should apply because I am a minority with stats within the range of previous years?

I didn't apply in AMCAS this year so I'd really only consider applying next year, if for some reason none of the texas schools pick me up. Just wondering what you guys think.

How much weight should I put into this letter I received from Harvard telling me I should apply because I am a minority with stats within the range of previous years?

I didn't apply in AMCAS this year so I'd really only consider applying next year, if for some reason none of the texas schools pick me up. Just wondering what you guys think.

I got one of those letters, and I'm white from the suburbs and went to a Boston school. So I don't think there's much weight on this letter.

I got one of those letters, and I'm white from the suburbs and went to a Boston school. So I don't think there's much weight on this letter.

your white and from the suburbs and they sent you a letter about being a minority? haha jk

Yea I don't put much weight into these letters, I've received similar a lot of letters from top schools about the AAMC Medical Minority Applicant Registry.

I was just wondering what the opinion of people here was.

Just look at it as spending $134 on a chance to attend the #1 med school in the nation :)D). If you have a bill to spare, do it!

Just look at it as spending $134 on a chance to attend the #1 med school in the nation :)D). If you have a bill to spare, do it!

Totally agree. i got that letter and my stats are low when compared to Harvard med students, but not knowing would be worse.

Definitely apply. I thought I had no chance in hell and I got an II a few weeks ago. It's worth a shot if you have decent numbers and experiences.

I can't believe that admissions decisions don't come out for almost six months. Blergh!

Interview invite 9/27!! :)
Interviewing on 10/26. of those of you who have interviewed, what would you recommend wearing. I'm a female and I've heard that east coast schools prefer a skirt suit since they tend to be more traditional? Thanks guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.