2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Potentially applying here (saw that they have a certificate program in Bioethics & Health Policy <3), though I was curious whether anyone knew about what percentage of the student body comes from Illinois.

Members don't see this ad :)
Potentially applying here (saw that they have a certificate program in Bioethics & Health Policy <3), though I was curious whether anyone knew about what percentage of the student body comes from Illinois.

Not sure exactly where I saw it, thinking MSAR, but I want to say that they admit 49% of their students from Illinois.

Any Loyola students that can talk about their experience in this university? It would be greatly appreciated!

Don't mind me, just another applicant....

Anyone know if Stritch gives out any merit based scholarships?

Just applied. Anyone know about the secondary?

applied here this year very late and was rejected, reapplying. they offer post-rejection feedback, I was told by an admissions officer that the current class for this fall is at least 20 ppl OVER filled right now (this is being talked a lot in the 2011-2012 thread too). not sure what this means for the upcoming cycle, but it makes me afraid that they might be really conservative to avoid a situation like this next year.

Last edited:
applied here this year very late and was rejected, reapplying. they offer post-rejection feedback, I was told by an admissions officer that the current class for this fall is at least 20 ppl OVER filled right now (this is being talked a lot in the 2011-2012 thread too). not sure what this means for the upcoming cycle, but it makes me afraid that they might be really conservative to avoid a situation like this next year.

Incoming M1 here. Thought I would comment a little on the over acceptance situation. The office of admissions has not released any information to the class about this yet, but if they do I'm sure you all will find out about the same time as us haha. I do know that a few schools are having this over acceptance problem. I know Iowa increased it's OOS acceptances this year to make sure they met their numbers, and as of May 15 they were almost 15 people over accepted. BU also was over accepted and doesn't have any waitlist movement (I interviewed at both schools, so I have stayed up to date with their admissions process). I think I saw on a thread that Penn was over accepted and even offered 2 year tuition waivers to people willing to defer. Loyola hasn't offered anything like that yet. Just know that this over acceptance isn't a localized issue, many schools are facing that this year.

Acceptances fluctuate a lot. Try not to worry about it. If they decide to accept 20 less people this next year that means that they will accept 330 and not 350 (ish)... not a huge change.

Also, to those applying, I was really impressed with the character displayed by the staff and students at Loyola during my interview/2nd look day. I had some good acceptances but chose Loyola because they really seemed to care about their students.

Good luck this cycle. If you guys want any info or need help please feel free to ask, I'm happy to try to help any way that I can.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I am applying this year, but I'm taking the MCAT on Aug 4th. So my scores won't be released until Sept 5th. I'm submitting the primary within the next few days, but the secondary won't be done until end of August, provided I receive it before then, or if I have they have a screening process then not until after September 5th. Anyways, my question is, would it be worth even applying to Loyola for the 2013 cycle, this late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! I am applying this year, but I'm taking the MCAT on Aug 4th. So my scores won't be released until Sept 5th. I'm submitting the primary within the next few days, but the secondary won't be done until end of August, provided I receive it before then, or if I have they have a screening process then not until after September 5th. Anyways, my question is, would it be worth even applying to Loyola for the 2013 cycle, this late?
hey I applied in a similar timeline last year, assuming this is your first (?) mcat, you won't get the secondary until after you get your score. so if you pre write the essays you can submit right away. hard to answer if that will be too "late" for you though, it all really depends on your strength as an applicant and how well you'd fit in their program

Thanks so much, I appreciate it. Yep, this will be my first (and hopefully last) MCAT. I have a 3.64 overall GPA and a 3.6 science GPA. I'm shooting for a 30-32 MCAT (fingers crossed).

Are you asking if it would be worth applying to Loyola specifically? Or applying to medical school in general? It sounds like you will be applying, but are questioning applying to Loyola specifically. I am not one to speculate on possibilities of acceptance. However, if you're applying during the 2012-2013 cycle regardless, you wouldn't lose a thing applying to Loyola. Last year I went back and added 2 schools late in the cycle and ended up getting II to both and an acceptance at one.

I'll put it this way. You're goal is to get accepted. To get accepted you have to apply.... Although it is late you have nothing to lose.

hey guys does anyone know what the character limits are on the essays? I looked through last year's thread briefly but didn't see it anywhere, thanks!

hey guys, anyone know when the secondary comes out? I know loyola screens, but can anyone give an estimate? thanks

hey guys does anyone know what the character limits are on the essays? I looked through last year's thread briefly but didn't see it anywhere, thanks!

from what i saw its 25 lines. no character or word limit, just a line limit, whatever that means.

If you look through last year's thread there is a huge debate about the significance of what 25 lines means. I'm sure that this debate will come up again on this year's thread if the secondary is the same. Personally I think they just do this so that you don't go overboard and write something super long. You will do yourself a lot of good if you don't stress too much about the exact meaning of the 25 lines and just get the secondary in ASAP. I think its vague because they don't mind if you go a little long.

I will recommend that you take your time and put together a solid secondary and like I said, submit it ASAP. My interviewers had really dug through my secondary essays and we discussed minor things that the average reader could not find by skimming. All of this information just comes from my personal experience and the experience of friends who applied last year.

gotcha thanks! I didn't see that debate I only glanced through the first 2 pages of last year's thread

so I gather no one here has received the secondary yet?

One of the first secondaries I pre-wrote and one of the last secondaries to be received (haven't received it yet)...

One of the first secondaries I pre-wrote and one of the last secondaries to be received (haven't received it yet)...

Are you sure it'll be the same this year? It's my last "real" secondary and doesn't look too terrifying, but I'm afraid they'll change up the prompts.

My longest essay answer last year was just under 300 words which I think was almost exactly 25 lines so as long as you stay somewhere around there, you'll be fine. Good luck everyone!

Just got the secondary. Haven't opened it yet. Are we sure they screen?

Just got the secondary. Haven't opened it yet. Are we sure they screen?

Congrats! I haven't heard anything from them at all, but I'm pretty sure they screen.

their website isnt working. but i will post as soon as i can get it to run. It seems like i need to pay the fee first before accessing the secondary but i'm having trouble figuring out how to pay the 75 bucks. will keep you posted

ok just called admissions. there was a mistake. they forgot an attachment with the information on how to pay. so he said another email will be going out end of day today or tomorrow morning. will keep you posted.

their website isnt working. but i will post as soon as i can get it to run. It seems like i need to pay the fee first before accessing the secondary but i'm having trouble figuring out how to pay the 75 bucks. will keep you posted

Thanks!

Yeah it's definitely their end. I've tried almost every browser

Any one hear any news today?

Good luck everyone. Hang in there this year!

Oh good news congrats! Can you post the prompts soon?
Thanks!

I just got it too.

One of my longer ones I've had to fill out.... Dang... No stated character limits by the way. Good luck everyone.

1. Describe a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud of, or a person who has influenced your life.

2. Provide in detail an experience of working with individual(s) from diverse background(s). What was the experience? How did it have an impact on you?

3. Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school.

4. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principle investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?

5. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school? If you are a re-applicant, please tell us how your application has improved since the last time you applied.

6. Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know.

I just got it too.

One of my longer ones I've had to fill out.... Dang... No stated character limits by the way. Good luck everyone.

1. Describe a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud of, or a person who has influenced your life.

2. Provide in detail an experience of working with individual(s) from diverse background(s). What was the experience? How did it have an impact on you?

3. Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school.

4. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principle investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?

5. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school? If you are a re-applicant, please tell us how your application has improved since the last time you applied.

6. Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know.

Crap that's a lot of detailed questions! Thanks for posting!

Same as last year! Done, just waiting on them to email it to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.