2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the turn around time from fee payment to pre letter of rec rejection/post letter of rec reading(or however its called)?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What? Of course not. I was just pumped cause my mom made pizza rolls.

I F*CKING LOVE PIZZA ROLLS.

g1335232871205287493.jpg
 
does anyone know how mayo feels about additions to your amcas such as rewards/scholarships you received after you submitted? do we just shoot them an email containing the info or would they rather you just didn't add that at all?
 
My understanding is that after you pay the fee, you get an email saying you paid it, and then another one saying your file is complete or something of that sort, and after that email you will be reviewed? Am I correct?

Also, I submitted payment on 7/25, and got an email immediately afterwards saying it was received. Just curious how long it should take to get another email from them?

This process, especially at Mayo, is so very confusing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My understanding is that after you pay the fee, you get an email saying you paid it, and then another one saying your file is complete or something of that sort, and after that email you will be reviewed? Am I correct?

Also, I submitted payment on 7/25, and got an email immediately afterwards saying it was received. Just curious how long it should take to get another email from them?

This process, especially at Mayo, is so very confusing.

Pay Fee Email 7/6
Fee Received 7/9
LOR Request 7/11 (I sent them in on 7/16)
LOR Received/You are under review now (7/24)
Interview Invite or Rejection comes next. (maybe tonight or tomorrow according to forsparta!)
 
What an honor! I think I'm going to take on the role of sdn photoshopper. Maybe I can list this leadership position on some secondary.

Shooped, look pixels, I can see, from many in my day, etc etc.

Also, as for the timeline, who knows. I've had fee received since the 16th and I've heard nada. Expecting rejection at this point.
 
How are the lecture halls? I reckon that they're smaller to cater to the 50 or so people each year?

Classrooms (Mitchell) can hold our class, maybe 5 more people, and a prof. The Lecture halls are slightly bigger and from what we saw, can hold a bit more.

does anyone know how mayo feels about additions to your amcas such as rewards/scholarships you received after you submitted? do we just shoot them an email containing the info or would they rather you just didn't add that at all?

Hmm...how significant is it? Again, I cannot speak for the admissions committee but if it is trivial I doubt it would matter but if it is important to you then go for it.

I hear they like them at Mayo.

lPZi7.jpg


Strong work. I saw that walking in today (sans pizza rolls, someone must have stolen them)
 
This page of the thread has the potential to be entirely devoted to pizza rolls...

(Also, I hope I an interview here! 😎)
 
Anyone who mentions pizza rolls during the interview will immediately reveal themselves as an SDN user.

You say this as if there are no benefits. I would gladly divulge my identity for the pleasure of a pizza roll (bag) or two.
 
Can you imagine someone in the room of interviewees mentions Pizza Rolls, and about half the room erupts in uncontrollable laughter and the other half have no idea wtf is going on?

Would be glorious.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm...how significant is it? Again, I cannot speak for the admissions committee but if it is trivial I doubt it would matter but if it is important to you then go for it.

It was a scholarship given out by a committee to premeds (only given to seniors) based on practice mcat scores, ecs, grades, etc. that they think will have a good chance to get into med school. they only give out 5 or so.
 
Can you imagine someone in the room of interviewees mentions Pizza Rolls, and about half the room erupts in uncontrollable laughter and the other half have no idea wtf is going on?

Would be glorious.


omg let's do this. it could be a secret code to see where the SDNers are!!!

"Man, I wish I had some pizza rolls right now"

"OMG - PMOD - is that you!?"
 
sorry bro...if it makes you feel any better, 99% of people hear will ultimately get that e-mail later

It's funny because that's actually probably pretty darn close to the actual percent... Although just to spike a little neuroticism, I'd say it's closer to 98%.

😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's funny because that's actually probably pretty darn close to the actual percent... Although just to spike a little neuroticism, I'd say it's closer to 98%.

😀

Hahaha, I was actually going to point that out. I, however, was able to resist the temptation 😎
 
It's funny because that's actually probably pretty darn close to the actual percent... Although just to spike a little neuroticism, I'd say it's closer to 98%.

😀
I still can't believe some people would decline an acceptance at Mayo. I was going through last year's thread and it's crazy!
 
I still can't believe some people would decline an acceptance at Mayo. I was going through last year's thread and it's crazy!

It's understandable - different people have different agendas - I know someone whose options were Mayo, Columbia, Stanford and HMS. Ended up choosing Columbia. Born and raised in New York and just didn't want to leave. With those options, you're set at any school anyway, so at that point, just go with what feels right.
 
It's understandable - different people have different agendas - I know someone whose options were Mayo, Columbia, Stanford and HMS. Ended up choosing Columbia. Born and raised in New York and just didn't want to leave. With those options, you're set at any school anyway, so at that point, just go with what feels right.

I agree. And some people just can't deal with the cold or see themselves in Rochester in general!
 
I still can't believe some people would decline an acceptance at Mayo. I was going through last year's thread and it's crazy!

It makes sense to me....all schools are basically the same in their teaching methods, it's all about what you make out of it. If you don't think you'll be happy in Rochester or at a small school you can't make much of it. After meeting an orthopedic surgeon from EVMS and other residents in competitive specialties from "low-name school", this has been confirmed in my mind. No matter where you go, essentially the same doors will be opened for you (unless you're going into academics or some field where name has a weight, of course)

I know this is hard to grasp within the SDN paradigm/by overachievers but ask any physician and they'll tell you the same thing. One of the best docs I've worked with in Neurosurgery went to Albany.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.