2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it makes sense to me....all schools are basically the same in their teaching methods, it's all about what you make out of it. If you don't think you'll be happy in rochester or at a small school you can't make much of it. After meeting an orthopedic surgeon from evms and other residents in competitive specialties from "low-name school", this has been confirmed in my mind. No matter where you go, essentially the same doors will be opened for you (unless you're going into academics or some field where name has a weight, of course)

i know this is hard to grasp within the sdn paradigm/by overachievers but ask any physician and they'll tell you the same thing. One of the best docs i've worked with in neurosurgery went to albany.

+1
 
It makes sense to me....all schools are basically the same in their teaching methods, it's all about what you make out of it. If you don't think you'll be happy in Rochester or at a small school you can't make much of it. After meeting an orthopedic surgeon from EVMS and other residents in competitive specialties from "low-name school", this has been confirmed in my mind. No matter where you go, essentially the same doors will be opened for you (unless you're going into academics or some field where name has a weight, of course)

I know this is hard to grasp within the SDN paradigm/by overachievers but ask any physician and they'll tell you the same thing. One of the best docs I've worked with in Neurosurgery went to Albany.

This is so true that it applies to physicians in different modalities--that is, MD and DO.

I work one-on-one (very closely, personally in some cases) with almost 100 emergency physicians, and if you lined them all up and hid their name tags, based on my observations working with them (which amounts to over 6000 hours), you couldn't tell where they went to school, where they did their residencies, or if they went to an MD or DO school.

When one tells you they went to University X and it's a highly regarded institution, many people say, "Whoa, you went there??"

All that to say, a lot of it is based on the network of people you want to build, the skills you want, the types of exposure you'll get, etc.
 
It makes sense to me....all schools are basically the same in their teaching methods, it's all about what you make out of it. If you don't think you'll be happy in Rochester or at a small school you can't make much of it. After meeting an orthopedic surgeon from EVMS and other residents in competitive specialties from "low-name school", this has been confirmed in my mind. No matter where you go, essentially the same doors will be opened for you (unless you're going into academics or some field where name has a weight, of course)

I know this is hard to grasp within the SDN paradigm/by overachievers but ask any physician and they'll tell you the same thing. One of the best docs I've worked with in Neurosurgery went to Albany.

Agree!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The one thing that would bug me about going to a no-name school is the patient trust factor. We all know that top school =/= good doctor and vice versa, but many patients seem to believe this.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reputable schools also tend to have the better professors, though I'm sure a few top-notch professors are sprinkled in every school here and there
 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reputable schools also tend to have the better professors, though I'm sure a few top-notch professors are sprinkled in every school here and there

My experience is that all schools are hit or miss in that respect. I had some amazing professors at a community college, and some truly awful ones at a prestigious university.
 
sorry bro...if it makes you feel any better, 99% of people hear will ultimately get that e-mail later

It's funny because that's actually probably pretty darn close to the actual percent... Although just to spike a little neuroticism, I'd say it's closer to 98%.

😀


Mayo Medical School Admission Letter said:
On behalf of the Mayo Medical School Admissions Committee, it is my distinct pleasure to offer you an appointment to the Mayo Medical School entering Class of 2012. The Admissions Committee has selected you as one of only one percent (1%) of our applicant pool because we believe that you exemplify the academic preparation, self-discipline, and commitment to service we seek in our students.

So 99% it is 😱
 
This is so true that it applies to physicians in different modalities--that is, MD and DO.

I work one-on-one (very closely, personally in some cases) with almost 100 emergency physicians, and if you lined them all up and hid their name tags, based on my observations working with them (which amounts to over 6000 hours), you couldn't tell where they went to school, where they did their residencies, or if they went to an MD or DO school.

When one tells you they went to University X and it's a highly regarded institution, many people say, "Whoa, you went there??"

All that to say, a lot of it is based on the network of people you want to build, the skills you want, the types of exposure you'll get, etc.

I'm guessing you work as an ER scribe? I did this for a couple of years as well, and basically made the same observations. That said, emergency medicine is a pretty unique specialty.

Where you go to school might matter a lot more if you're interested in academics/research (at least in terms of getting your foot in the door, so to speak).
 
I'm guessing you work as an ER scribe? I did this for a couple of years as well, and basically made the same observations. That said, emergency medicine is a pretty unique specialty.

Where you go to school might matter a lot more if you're interested in academics/research (at least in terms of getting your foot in the door, so to speak).

Yes sir/ma'am, I do work as a ER scribe... It is a unique specialty, but I'm saying that based on my perceptions regarding their knowledge, skills, personalities, etc., that I could not tell the difference. In a sense, them all being in the same specialty controls for the differences in specialties, so it's even more reasonable based on this.

I absolutely agree regarding research--everyone I know that went on to pursue doctorate-level degrees in chemistry, medicinal chemistry, and pharmaceutical development was pulled into a program where they already knew someone and with whom they had done research. If you want clinical skills, I would bet every MD and DO school will equip you well. I guess I should stop here, since I really am off topic from Mayo, but I figured I'd throw in my two cents.

(Go Mayo!--my on-topic comment)
 
What are the top ten in terms of percentages?

I only have the data for schools that I considered applying to this year (since there're so many schools). Out of those 50?

Top 10? As in highest? Or lowest? I'll just do both I suppose.


Matriculant Rates

Highest Ten:

1. University of North Dakota 21.1%
2. Ohio State University 5.8%
3. University of Minnesota 5.7%
4. University of Toledo 4.2%
5. University of Iowa 4.1%
6. Baylor College of Medicine 3.9%
7. Case Western Reserve University 3.7%
7. University of Virginia 3.7%
9. University of Michigan 3.3%
10. Virginia Commonwealth University 3.1%

Lowest Ten:

1. George Washington University 1.2%
1. Mayo Medical School 1.2%
3. Stanford University 1.4%
4. Loyola University Chicago 1.5%
4. Boston University 1.5%
6. University of Chicago 1.6%
7. Wake Forest University 1.7%
7. Albany Medical College 1.7%
7. Dartmouth Medical School 1.7%
7. Georgetown University 1.7%



Remember, these %s are out of about 25-35% of all schools. Most state-preferring schools are excluded.
Note: Generated this data myself from sources, might be incorrect!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh god. The idea has already been planted. Tonight my bed will be as hard as concrete; it will not let me fall into the realm of dreams.

From what I am thinking, if it is not tonight than the best guess is Fri 2:30 or Sat 2:30

Ill try finding out more
 
From what I am thinking, if it is not tonight than the best guess is Fri 2:30 or Sat 2:30

Ill try finding out more

Hehe, it's alright. Part of the experience is going through the downs and ups of it all.

2:30AM Pizza Roll Party!
 
2:30AM Pizza Roll Party!

21k9stg.jpg
 
From what I am thinking, if it is not tonight than the best guess is Fri 2:30 or Sat 2:30

Ill try finding out more

Hahaha, I feel like you're being really naughty by doing this, or something... It makes me feel dirty.

I won't complain though. I'm just having fun with the process... :laugh:
 
Hahaha, I feel like you're being really naughty by doing this, or something... It makes me feel dirty.

I won't complain though. I'm just having fun with the process... :laugh:

He could very well just pick random dates for all we know. I mean, half of it we already know to be true (It'll be sent out at 2:30 AM EST).

tumblr_m5me1svvyK1rpznnqo1_500.gif
 
Hahaha, I feel like you're being really naughty by doing this, or something... It makes me feel dirty.

I won't complain though. I'm just having fun with the process... :laugh:


I did think about stringing all of you out every night but....that would be so mean. And Wisco would probably come and kill me.

But seriously though, i remember how tough it is...and it only gets worse. After your interview, you wait for the day they review your file, hoping to get the ranked email. Then you wait to get a call from the Admissions office...
 
I did think about stringing all of you out every night but....that would be so mean. And Wisco would probably come and kill me.

But seriously though, i remember how tough it is...and it only gets worse. After your interview, you wait for the day they review your file, hoping to get the ranked email. Then you wait to get a call from the Admissions office...

Yeah, you're not making it sound very appealing. 😛

Still no LOR request though, kinda counting myself out at this point. Though there doesn't seem to have been much movement at all lately...

Edit: Anyone else get a ridiculously strong urge to eat tomato paste, meat and cheese in a layer of stale pastry from the freezer?
 
Yeah, you're not making it sound very appealing. 😛

Still no LOR request though, kinda counting myself out at this point. Though there doesn't seem to have been much movement at all lately...

Yea, I think they are waiting/just having a committee meeting. There will be movement
 
I log into sdn to find out a ball-park range of when Mayo will be sending out post-LOR request emails, and I find a thread about pizza rolls.........

smh.
 
I did think about stringing all of you out every night but....that would be so mean. And Wisco would probably come and kill me.

But seriously though, i remember how tough it is...and it only gets worse. After your interview, you wait for the day they review your file, hoping to get the ranked email. Then you wait to get a call from the Admissions office...

Do you want to further explain this ranking and then acceptance process?
 
I log into sdn to find out a ball-park range of when Mayo will be sending out post-LOR request emails, and I find a thread about pizza rolls.........

smh.

You have violated rules of the internet, see below for further info:

[X] Umad
[_] Usad
[_] Cool story bro
[_] You're awesome
[X] You took the internet seriously
[_] You gave out accurate personal information
[_] Your password is password
[_] You don't like the song Sweet Caroline
[X] You seem to fail grasping the concept of enjoying life
[_] Rick Roll
[_] The Game
 
You have violated rules of the internet, see below for further info:

[X] Umad
[_] Usad
[_] Cool story bro
[_] You're awesome
[X] You took the internet seriously
[_] You gave out accurate personal information
[_] Your password is password
[_] You don't like the song Sweet Caroline
[X] You seem to fail grasping the concept of enjoying life
[_] Rick Roll
[_] The Game

:eyebrow:
I was just looking for useful information.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I apologize for trying to use sdn for its real purpose. I will leave now.

Carry on with pizza rolls.


Eh, c'mon... It's real purpose is multifaceted, and certainly includes discussion of pizza rolls (indirectly, anyway).

However, to be helpful, I will refer you to the thread search tool to weed through this madness. You could also ask your question(s)--there are some INCREDIBLY helpful people here, including current students...
 
Eh, c'mon... It's real purpose is multifaceted, and certainly includes discussion of pizza rolls (indirectly, anyway).

However, to be helpful, I will refer you to the thread search tool to weed through this madness. You could also ask your question(s)--there are some INCREDIBLY helpful people here, including current students...

thanks, crazy Student Doctor Networkers 👍
 
Letter Request!! I didn't expect them to be this fast!

AMCAS verified 7/28, Free Request 7/28, Fee Received 7/30, Letter Request 7/31. Wow.

Edit: For the record, 34O / 3.73 cGPA / 3.99 sGPA
 
Last edited:
I haven't finished any of my other secondaries, so this is really the first notification I have that my app doesn't suck. Huzzah!
 
Last edited:
Oh man, rejected. My heart, haha.

Nah, I'm kidding, I only applied because I worked at Mayo and my parents insisted I apply/paid the fee for it. I'm actually glad they just outright rejected me, I thought for sure they were going to make me do the song and dance of paying for secondaries before rejecting me.

Good luck guys/gals 👍
 
LOR REQUEST!!!!

Paid 7/25, never got a 'Fee Received' email
LOR request 8/1 (at 1:30 AM!)

SO surprised!!!!
32Q, cGPA 3.62, sGPA 3.58
 
thanks, crazy Student Doctor Networkers 👍

I tend to go with Super Duper Neurotic.

It drifts off topic because sometimes we wait weeks for news, if you have any question feel free to use the search button and then ask if nothing useful pops up. If you have a legitimate question I guarantee a prompt response from someone in the know 🙂


Also, any other 7/16ers still stuck in purgatory?
 
The one thing that would bug me about going to a no-name school is the patient trust factor. We all know that top school =/= good doctor and vice versa, but many patients seem to believe this.

IDK if that's true, i've been to Dr's a lot of times for problems and never have i known what school they graduated from unless i asked
 
IDK if that's true, i've been to Dr's a lot of times for problems and never have i known what school they graduated from unless i asked

You don't look at their wall? I feel like generally they flaunt their degrees...

Sounds like no II tonight though. Anyone know if being in limbo for weeks this early between fee received and LOR Request is death?
 
Quick Question: I had originally attached letters of rec when I added Mayo to my application before it was verified. Will they autosend if Mayo sent me a letters of reference request? Thanks in advance 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
fee received 7/16. LOR request 7/26/ LOR received 8/1! Final Review Stage!
 
you should be fine. if they're coming from AMCAS it should all line up to match properly. As long as they showed up in your AMCAS correctly, it'll end up at Mayo.

Congrats on the LOR request!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.