You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
LOR request received today - my payment fee was marked as received July 3rd.
Can someone confirm whether you will receive a LOR request if your letters are already in, available for download? I know not everyone gets the request, but if they are interested in continuing with your application and see the letters are already available, will you still get the e-mail?
Submitted on 7/2, payment processed e-mail from Mayo arrived after the first LOR request wave. This second one though seems like it would've been it for me.
LOR request received last night. Paid 7/2 and my letters were already assigned.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did all of you guys with LOR requests have all your LOR's uploaded to AMCAS already? I'm wondering if that's a prerequisite for getting the LOR request.
I did not at first, b/c I figured I'd want to see an email so I knew for a fact that they were looking further at my app. Then I went digging in last year's thread and saw that they send an email either way, so I assigned my letters a few days ago.
did all of you guys with LOR requests have all your LOR's uploaded to AMCAS already? I'm wondering if that's a prerequisite for getting the LOR request.
same boat here. Can anyone confirm if they received LOR request WITHOUT LOR uploaded on AMCAS?
no LOR request yet.... I am panicking...
All my letters are uploaded and I got a LOR request.
no LOR request yet.... I am panicking...
Relax... It's taken weeks in previous cycles for some highly qualified candidates to receive LOR requests.
no LOR request yet.... I am panicking...
No LOR request here either but I am sure they have 1209319823901823 applications to process so I doubt we are out of the running yet. Hang in there!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No LOR request here either but I am sure they have 1209319823901823 applications to process so I doubt we are out of the running yet. Hang in there!
Actually I heard through the grapevine that they've received 1209319823901824 applications. Close, but you're way off.
Anyone who hasn't received a request care to share stats?
Edit.
Last edited:
Guys....seriously....stop trying to draw conclusions! 😱 It's been like 4 days only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll try to be here to answer questions but I'm going to lose my mind reading pages of posts like those from the past day, freaking out.
RE: LOR Requests
Whether or not you have already assigned your letters to Mayo is immaterial. LOR Requests are generated following a review of an applicant's activities list and academic application, sparing personal statement at this stage. If you have already assigned your letters at the time you get an LOR request, it simply means you don't have to do any further action. However, know that your letters are not reviewed until AFTER they request LOR's from you.
RE: LOR Requests
Whether or not you have already assigned your letters to Mayo is immaterial. LOR Requests are generated following a review of an applicant's activities list and academic application, sparing personal statement at this stage. If you have already assigned your letters at the time you get an LOR request, it simply means you don't have to do any further action. However, know that your letters are not reviewed until AFTER they request LOR's from you.
I got a LOR request without uploading my letters. Just waiting for one more.
I would say if you have weak EC's that will really hurt you for Mayo...they're more than just numbers
I would say if you have weak EC's that will really hurt you for Mayo...they're more than just numbers
LOR request this morning and my letters have not been uploaded to amcas yet. I figure I'm a huge longshot here (3.7/31) so plenty of you waiting have no reason to panic.
I have a theory:
It's called the Mayo test. If you receive the LOR request from Mayo, this is generally a good indicator that you will likely gain an acceptance somewhere.
Here's to hoping it's at MMS![]()
I love your theory. I sure hope it's true!
LOR request this morning and my letters have not been uploaded to amcas yet. I figure I'm a huge longshot here (3.7/31) so plenty of you waiting have no reason to panic.
Ditto (but I have uploaded letters)
same boat here. Can anyone confirm if they received LOR request WITHOUT LOR uploaded on AMCAS?
i got a LOR request and do not have LOR uploaded to AMCAS yet.
Guys....seriously....stop trying to draw conclusions! 😱 It's been like 4 days only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll try to be here to answer questions but I'm going to lose my mind reading pages of posts like those from the past day, freaking out.
RE: LOR Requests
Whether or not you have already assigned your letters to Mayo is immaterial. LOR Requests are generated following a review of an applicant's activities list and academic application, sparing personal statement at this stage. If you have already assigned your letters at the time you get an LOR request, it simply means you don't have to do any further action. However, know that your letters are not reviewed until AFTER they request LOR's from you.
Fair call--exciting times.
Your offer to answer questions is much appreciated. Can you comment on the culture of the school? What's the student body like? Much interaction between MS-1 and MS-2 group? Since the class size is so small, I'm very interested in what Mayo is looking for in terms of group dynamics. Thanks!
If there's one thing I've learned from being wholly rejected in the last two cycles I applied, it's to be patient--not only in this cycle, but even if you're rejected, keeping in mind that the process is just as important as the result. If you receive NO acceptances this year, it means you get another year to experience something new and exciting to both build your application and live your life.
Good luck everyone! Hope to see you in a short, white coat in a few months!
Good luck everyone! Hope to see you in a short, white coat in a few months!
My primary application was verified on 6/11 but still haven't received the secondary from Mayo. Does anybody also have this problem?
Everyone does; Mayo doesn't have a secondary.
Everyone does; Mayo doesn't have a secondary.
But they will send you the link to pay the fee right?
But they will send you the link to pay the fee right?
Do you have your MCAT score in?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete at Mayo. Welp. This is about as far as I will get 😛
*crosses fingers*
*crosses fingers*
Complete at Mayo. Welp. This is about as far as I will get 😛
*crosses fingers*
also got the completion email. good luck...this is a total reach school for me too...😍
I also got the completion email. Good luck everyone
how does the completion email look like?
Dear Mayo Medical School Applicant,
Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School and for your patience with the application process. Your letters of reference have been received and attached to your AMCAS file.
Your application is in the final review stage where it will be determined if you will be invited for an onsite interview. You will be notified via email as soon as the review is completed and the status of your application has been updated.
Dear Mayo Medical School Applicant,
Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School and for your patience with the application process. Your letters of reference have been received and attached to your AMCAS file.
Your application is in the final review stage where it will be determined if you will be invited for an onsite interview. You will be notified via email as soon as the review is completed and the status of your application has been updated.
is complete different from LOR request?
is complete different from LOR request?
Yes. You'll get the LOR request first, then a complete email.
This is what the LOR request looks like:
Dear Ira Flatow,
Thank you for your application to Mayo Medical School. To continue the review of your application, we request that you submit letters of reference. Please note that if you have sent your letters to AMCAS prior to receiving this notification, you do not need to resend them. This email is letting you know that we will now begin retrieving your letters.
For the 2013 Admissions Cycle, we are accepting recommendation letters only through the AMCAS letter service. We will not accept any letters sent directly to our office.
When letters are requested, please visit the AMCAS Web site, http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcasletters.htm, for more information on how to submit letters of recommendation to Mayo Medical School. To ensure the efficient processing of your letters by AMCAS, please follow all instructions carefully.
We require three letters of reference or a composite letter from a premedical committee. You may submit additional letters if you desire. Your references should be written by persons who know you well and whose opinions have bearing on the likelihood of your success in medical school. At least one of the references should be from a member of the science faculty. A letter from a teaching assistant is acceptable. Please ask your letter writers to include your AMCAS identification number on all letters of reference. Letters must be on letterhead and must be signed by your letter writer.
The review of your application file will continue upon receipt of the letters of reference. You will be notified via email when a change is made to your application status. The deadline for receipt of these letters is November 15, 2012.
Dear Ira Flatow,
Thank you for your application to Mayo Medical School. To continue the review of your application, we request that you submit letters of reference. Please note that if you have sent your letters to AMCAS prior to receiving this notification, you do not need to resend them. This email is letting you know that we will now begin retrieving your letters.
For the 2013 Admissions Cycle, we are accepting recommendation letters only through the AMCAS letter service. We will not accept any letters sent directly to our office.
When letters are requested, please visit the AMCAS Web site, http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcasletters.htm, for more information on how to submit letters of recommendation to Mayo Medical School. To ensure the efficient processing of your letters by AMCAS, please follow all instructions carefully.
We require three letters of reference or a composite letter from a premedical committee. You may submit additional letters if you desire. Your references should be written by persons who know you well and whose opinions have bearing on the likelihood of your success in medical school. At least one of the references should be from a member of the science faculty. A letter from a teaching assistant is acceptable. Please ask your letter writers to include your AMCAS identification number on all letters of reference. Letters must be on letterhead and must be signed by your letter writer.
The review of your application file will continue upon receipt of the letters of reference. You will be notified via email when a change is made to your application status. The deadline for receipt of these letters is November 15, 2012.
LOR request! Pleasantly surprised.
Dont go in expecting anything and you will never be dissapointed 👍
Dont go in expecting anything and you will never be dissapointed 👍
Yay letter request!!! Thought I missed it. 4.0 33R payed 7/2. So we don't do anything right? They fetch them off AMCAS?
LOR request! Yay!
This is what the LOR request looks like:
Dear Ira Flatow,
Thank you for your application to Mayo Medical School. To continue the review of your application, we request that you submit letters of reference
OMG IRA FLATOW IS APPLYING TO MAYOOO!!!!!! NOW I DEF WANNA GO THERE NOW!
can you convince Terry Gross to apply too?
Also, got LOR request e-mail......super surprised. 7VR 29R total, 3.72sgpa 3.78cgpa
~3.8c, ~3.9s, 31R
Guess they liked my ECs?
What were some of your most significant ECs?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I only have one semester of orgo lab, how/when should I let them know that this is what is offered by my University?
They will get in contact with you if they need to know
Ugh still nothing... Between this silence and my very quick U. of Chicago rejection, I'm starting to worry that something went wrong in my app, such as a contact person not able to confirm involvement or something. Neuroticism kicking in, majorly.
No worries, bro.
I called them and they said "it's not like anyone actually gets accepted to Mayo anyway".
Sorry for the exteme neuroticism but is there any way for us to get updated application numbers for mayo? The 4000,800,300,70 numbers have been quoted for almost five years apparently. For all we know a much higher percentage of lor requests might get sent out nowadays. Any way to find out?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K
