2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What were some of your most significant ECs?

I did a summer long internship in public health working on obesity prevention and wellness in my county. Ive been a human anatomy TA for a year (including gross lab). Volunteered at a free clinic for a year...very hands-on. And some research and leadership positions, etc. I wouldn't say I had some crazy out of the blue ECs, but I think I did a good job articulating how everything I did was truly meaningful to me and Im not just a cookie-cutter, check all the boxes applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a LOR request for my 3.15 cGPA, 32P MCAT, 4.0 postbac oddball application. That's right, I said 3.15. Three years of full time volunteering must have helped. I'm glad to see that my SDN buddies were correct when they said Mayo was nice to nontrads. The fact that they even looked at my application is proof that this is a school that truly does care about more than the numbers.

Last edited:
Still no LOR request here :(. 34Q 4.0/4.0 with lots of volunteering. No research though, I suspect that is my doom.

Members don't see this ad :)
None here either, it was a long shot though haha so I'm not too disappointed.

just curious here after skimming this thread.. is a LOR request actually a big deal for Mayo? Does Mayo actually screen heavily?

just curious here after skimming this thread.. is a LOR request actually a big deal for Mayo? Does Mayo actually screen heavily?

Yeah they only give out like 7 or 800 LOR requests to the 4000+ applicants. Somebody posted the actual stats on a previous page if you want to go look.

From last year's thread:

"4000 apply
800 get LOR requests
250-300 get interviews
~72 are offered acceptances (including from alternate list)"

From last year's thread:

"4000 apply
800 get LOR requests
250-300 get interviews
~72 are offered acceptances (including from alternate list)"

These numbers are out of date. I read more recent numbers as LOR requests being 900-1200 a little more but it's still an accomplishment to get one. I also think the number of apps increased as well so that could account for it too. Either way job well done guys.

So do I need to be verified before they even send me the email saying "pay us to look at your application"?

The number I got from their admission's office (I had a tour there) was ~1700 LOR requests.

Has anybody got an email like this? I just received it. I've submitted payment last week, but what does this mean?

Thank you for your application fee payment. Please note that Mayo Medical School does not have a secondary application. We do not request letters of recommendation from all applicants. When letters of recommendation are needed for your file, you will be notified via email.

If your letters are already in AMCAS, there is no further action required on your part. If we wish to access the letters, we will retrieve them directly from AMCAS.

Has anybody got an email like this? I just received it. I've submitted payment last week, but what does this mean?

Thank you for your application fee payment. Please note that Mayo Medical School does not have a secondary application. We do not request letters of recommendation from all applicants. When letters of recommendation are needed for your file, you will be notified via email.

If your letters are already in AMCAS, there is no further action required on your part. If we wish to access the letters, we will retrieve them directly from AMCAS.

I got this today after paying over the weekend.

It just confirms that your payment was received.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the LOR request last night at 2:34am...do they sleep over there?

got LOR request this morning too lol

stats:
3.65cgpa/3.56sgpa...33P (11/11/11)

LOR request this morning!

Stats: 3.96 sGPA/40S MCAT (V:11 P:14 B: 15)

ECs: Clinical/shadowing (~100 hours total), 4+ years research (1 middle-author pub), Community volunteer leader (~100 hours)

Good luck to everyone, and congratulations to all else who got LOR requests!

LOR request!

I'm so excited, I can hardly contain myself--and I know it's only the LOR request... I just love the work they do there, so any step in the right direction is exciting to me.

Just a quick question... does this school send out LOR once your primary is marked as complete? Or do they screen and only send it if they feel that you are a competitive applicant?

Just a quick question... does this school send out LOR once your primary is marked as complete? Or do they screen and only send it if they feel that you are a competitive applicant?
They screen. How selective they are is unclear, but if you go back through this thread you will find several sets of stats that suggest 25-40% of applicants receive requests for letters. Good luck!

Damn, still none for me. What's wrong with my application? :(

This is really rattling my confidence. I thought I had a strong app.

got one too! so ecstatic!

3.52s, 3.67c 8 VR 33 overall, so don't lose hope! :)

Got a LOR request. 33/3.8. So happy!

got LOR request this morning too lol

stats:
3.65cgpa/3.56sgpa...33P (11/11/11)

Dude, these stats are almost exactly like mine. Where else are you applying? What's your top choice?

I have 5 LOEs with 4 of them processed by AMCAS and one that has not been received yet. Will Mayo wait for all 5 to arrive before starting to review the app or will they start reviewing the application since I have at least 3 letters as required?

Dude, these stats are almost exactly like mine. Where else are you applying? What's your top choice?

haha nice!

I'm applying to:
GWU, Georgetown, brown, dartmouth, columbia, penn state, temple, commonwealth, albany, nymc, jefferson, mayo, rochester, tufts, uvm, drexel.

I would say brown is my number one, but I'm also an RI resident so I have a little hope that I'll get in.

what about you?

haha nice!

I'm applying to:
GWU, Georgetown, brown, dartmouth, columbia, penn state, temple, commonwealth, albany, nymc, jefferson, mayo, rochester, tufts, uvm, drexel.

I would say brown is my number one, but I'm also an RI resident so I have a little hope that I'll get in.

what about you?

I've applied to so many schools just because my stats are right on the lower edge of top schools and upper edge of middle/lower schools. I don't want to miss an opportunity.

But I think that my top choices would have to be Mayo or Pitt. I'm a CA resident so we'll see how they treat me.

I've applied to so many schools just because my stats are right on the lower edge of top schools and upper edge of middle/lower schools. I don't want to miss an opportunity.

But I think that my top choices would have to be Mayo or Pitt. I'm a CA resident so we'll see how they treat me.

Just avoid all of the schools I applied to lol less competition the better

LOR request. 3.48 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 35 MCAT (11/12/12), lots of volunteering, research and clinical experience.

LOR Request. Stats definitely aren't everything at Mayo. 3.65(3.2/3.7/3.9 trend)/30S. Lots of volunteer/EC/shadowing/research. Stoked!

:soexcited: Got the LOR request today :soexcited:

Edit: See mdapp for stats/EC's

LOR request received at 2:30am!!! 4.0 sGPA, 3.99 cGPA, 32 MCAT.

LOR request received at 2:30am!!! 4.0 sGPA, 3.99 cGPA, 32 MCAT.
I got my LOR request as well! :)

Honestly this was a big surprise when I checked my email this morning. I didn't think I'd even get to the LOR phase. Hoping for the best....

Last edited:
When can we start writing Mayo poetry and having slumber parties celebrating the 2am emails???

Good luck everyone!

When can we start writing Mayo poetry and having slumber parties celebrating the 2am emails???

Good luck everyone!

Lucky me. I'm on the west coast so mine come in at 11:30 pm :D

Except last night I wasn't even up that late :laugh:

Good luck everyone!

Let's start in a week or two.

Just spent a good 20 minutes on last year's thread. If they follow what they did last cycle, there won't be a LOR received confirmation email, just II for the first batch of LOR requests will be late July, and more invites every few days thereafter.

I thought I overcame my neuroticism... until I found the 2011-2012 thread. FML

Just spent a good 20 minutes on last year's thread. If they follow what they did last cycle, there won't be a LOR received confirmation email, just II for the first batch of LOR requests will be late July, and more invites every few days thereafter.

The year before last I think they were given interview invites on July 17th or something. So anything could happen. But also in last year's threat there were current medical students or adcoms or someone informing them of when interviews would be going out, or at least rough time frames.

In all seriousness though, let me tell you, once you get rejected twice, your patience skyrockets and your neurotic tendencies plummet--you really have no choice, haha... For all the opportunities I've been given, if I didn't get into Mayo I'd still feel thankful for the opportunity, but here's to hoping I see you all there!

Anyone know if the LOR phase is likely over for those that paid last week? Still nothing here and just curious what I should take from that.

This thread, alone, is making me not want to go to Mayo and be surrounded by complete spazzes.

I'm sure this will not ease anyone's nerves. Not so sure if getting asked to send in LOR is such a big accomplishment. I got my email this morning to send in LOR and my stats are 3.86/26Q. Yep, 26Q and still got asked to send LOR in.

I'm sure this will not ease anyone's nerves. Not so sure if getting asked to send in LOR is such a big accomplishment. I got my email this morning to send in LOR and my stats are 3.86/26Q. Yep, 26Q and still got asked to send LOR in.

Like others have said, Mayo is not all about stats. You made the LizzyM score of 60 and given you have EC's that Mayo likes, there is no reason they would not request your LORs. Mayo likes a diverse class and if they think they may see that in your PS than they need the LORs to review that - at least in their system.

Like others have said, Mayo is not all about stats. You made the LizzyM score of 60 and given you have EC's that Mayo likes, there is no reason they would not request your LORs. Mayo likes a diverse class and if they think they may see that in your PS than they need the LORs to review that - at least in their system.

I thought Mayo didn't review your PS until after they have requested your LOR. Is this true or false?

I thought Mayo didn't review your PS until after they have requested your LOR. Is this true or false?

they don't...the person said that if they think they will see potential in your PS then they can only do that if they request LOR.

For those of you that got LOR requests, when did you send in your secondary fees?

Status
Not open for further replies.