2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you that got LOR requests, when did you send in your secondary fees?

Got Fee Request: 1:00 AM 7/5
Paid Fee: 11:00 AM 7/5
Letter Request: 1:00 AM 7/10

4.0, 40S

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you that got LOR requests, when did you send in your secondary fees?

Fee sent 7/6 at 3:00 pm PST (This was a Friday)
Fee received 7/9 at 7:00 pm PST
LOR request 7/10 at 11:30 pm PST

I hope that super quick turnaround means they really like me :xf:

3.77 cGPA, 30 MCAT, lots of EC with some fairly unique ones in there too

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody get an LOR request who did not have research experience? I have a feeling that's why I'm not getting one.

Did anybody get an LOR request who did not have research experience? I have a feeling that's why I'm not getting one.

I got a request with no research experience. I've got some pretty stellar ECs though.

Got confirmation from Mayo that they received my payment on 7/5. 34Q, 3.95 GPA, 3.93 BCPM GPA. Still no LOR request. Should I be worried? Have research/shadowing/volunteer experience.

Got confirmation from Mayo that they received my payment on 7/5. 34Q, 3.95 GPA, 3.93 BCPM GPA. Still no LOR request. Should I be worried? Have research/shadowing/volunteer experience.

Nearly same exact stats, same situation.

Same here (although I have no research). I'm certainly worried, but it's probably too early for that :p

ACCEPTED the fact that Mayo is my number 1 choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
5 pages already? Why the obsession with Mayo, SDN?

It's a good school, but really what the...?

Here's my hypothesis:

Most of SDN is neurotic premeds- the type of people who said they wanted to become a neurosurgeon from Harvard Med School as they were entering college. As they went through college, most of these people got through pre-med pretty well, but not superbly. They underestimated the true commitment needed to get into an elite medical school, focusing on 'Oh, I just need a mid 30's MCAT, 3.8 to get into a top-10 school.'

As these individuals apply to medical school, they realize they might not be cut out for one of these top-10 or so schools, but see Mayo as their savior. You hear everyone talking about how Mayo takes people of all scores, so that gives these individuals false comfort. They remain overconfident in the strength of their EC's, while the truth is the people who are getting in with <30/~3.5 have untouchable EC's/background. Thus, these people see Mayo as their hope to going to an 'elite school.'

Additionally, a lot of the elite schools send secondaries to all that apply, so this is one of the first moments that SDNers can be neurotic.

Just my opinion, and I know there are many serious contenders, but I think the above description encompasses a near majority of people posting on this thread.

Here's my hypothesis:

Most of SDN is neurotic premeds- the type of people who said they wanted to become a neurosurgeon from Harvard Med School as they were entering college. As they went through college, most of these people got through pre-med pretty well, but not superbly. They underestimated the true commitment needed to get into an elite medical school, focusing on 'Oh, I just need a mid 30's MCAT, 3.8 to get into a top-10 school.'

As these individuals apply to medical school, they realize they might not be cut out for one of these top-10 or so schools, but see Mayo as their savior. You hear everyone talking about how Mayo takes people of all scores, so that gives these individuals false comfort. They remain overconfident in the strength of their EC's, while the truth is the people who are getting in with <30/~3.5 have untouchable EC's/background. Thus, these people see Mayo as their hope to going to an 'elite school.'

Additionally, a lot of the elite schools send secondaries to all that apply, so this is one of the first moments that SDNers can be neurotic.

Just my opinion, and I know there are many serious contenders, but I think the above description encompasses a near majority of people posting on this thread.

legit hypothesis :thumbup:

Submitted Primary: 7/5/12
Request for fee: 7/6/12
Free received: 7/9/12
Request for LOR: 7/11/12
LOR received/in "final review phase": 7/13/12

All in less than a week. cGPA 3.86 sGPA 3.91 26Q MCAT (8 PS, 8 VB, 10 BS)
No research
I have 300+ volunteer hours
200+ shadowing hours

Last edited:
My guess is that this is the first major screen that schools do, considering it's so early in the cycle, and given that Mayo is a highly regarded institution, such early screens will bring a lot of attention.

In any case, any current or upcoming students have any insight into how the medical school integrates public health opportunities into their clinical training? Compared to much of the state, Mayo has a lot of high rankings in multiple categories, and I know they have done a lot of community-level health work to get where they are now.

In any case, any current or upcoming students have any insight into how the medical school integrates public health opportunities into their clinical training? Compared to much of the state, Mayo has a lot of high rankings in multiple categories, and I know they have done a lot of community-level health work to get where they are now.

I'm also very interested in this. Can any current students elaborate on what sorts of international opportunities they have?

Here's my hypothesis:

You got me. I saved several African children from a burning hut back in the day, ate a poop hot dog to spare an innocent girl's life from ruthless kidnappers, and walked a tight rope across Niagara Falls.

Damn those people with their "untouchable" ECs.

Edit: Mayo is just an awesome school man. No ifs and buts about it, everyone wants to go, yourself included. You know SDNers are neurotic (myself included).

Snuke! I just saw you were on this thread... I followed last year's thread, and was rooting for you... Did anyone show you some love last year?

For those who have been asking:
Primary verified - 6/29
MMS fee paid/receipt - 7/3
LOR request - 7/10

3.72s, 3.71c (undergraduate), 3.93c (graduate)
31S (B10, P10, V11) - first MCAT
34Q (B11, P12, V11) - second MCAT

Speaking of Snuke - when will the Mayo poetry start this year? I could use some Haiku.

Here's my hypothesis:

Or maybe Mayo is already heavily narrowing down the applicant pool and so this is a very anxious time for the applicants of this school. Notice how most of the posts are about whether someone received or did not recieve a LOR request. Nonetheless, your condescension is laudable :)

Speaking of Snuke - when will the Mayo poetry start this year? I could use some Haiku.

I said the same thing...

...Well, if you insist:

Refresh! Refresh! Oh,
no Mayo thread posts tonight.
3:00 a.m.? Bedtime.

This thread is gonna get to triple digit pages by the conclusion of this cycle at this rate...

to everyone who is freaking out: stop reading this thread! I didn't receive my LOR request until more than a week after I submitted, while it seemed like a lot of people were getting it the day after they submitted. so I got increasingly frustrated and it didn't help when another person kept posting about getting a request. so just ignore this thread until you get one!

to everyone who is freaking out: stop reading this thread! I didn't receive my LOR request until more than a week after I submitted, while it seemed like a lot of people were getting it the day after they submitted. so I got increasingly frustrated and it didn't help when another person kept posting about getting a request. so just ignore this thread until you get one!

+1 :thumbup:

I like the positive thinking, gang.

Out of curiosity, are there are lot of Midwesterners lurking about here? I read somewhere that Mayo tends to draw more from the Midwest than elsewhere, so I thought I'd test it. I went to college in Minneapolis but live in Iowa City now.

Just curious...

Out of curiosity, are there are lot of Midwesterners lurking about here? I read somewhere that Mayo tends to draw more from the Midwest than elsewhere, so I thought I'd test it. I went to college in Minneapolis but live in Iowa City now.

Just curious...

I swear, Midwesterners are good at counting!

I don't know anything about Mayo attracting more of us, but Rochester isn't a glamorous big city like New York, Chicago, LA, etc... It feels like... Outstate Minnesota (interesting)! It may explain non-Midwesterners' hesitancy in any case. As for me, I love this state, and would love to go to medical school here.

EW, what brought you to Iowa City...?

You missed 4.

+4 :thumbup:

Intentional.

Also a Midwesterner.

Just curious...

I believe the majority of applications and acceptances are from the Midwest. Then again, I hear Midwesterners are in demand. Midwest nice etc etc.

I swear, Midwesterners are good at counting!

I don't know anything about Mayo attracting more of us, but Rochester isn't a glamorous big city like New York, Chicago, LA, etc... It feels like... Outstate Minnesota (interesting)! It may explain non-Midwesterners' hesitancy in any case. As for me, I love this state, and would love to go to medical school here.

EW, what brought you to Iowa City...?

As would everyone else in this thread. :D

But ohmagawd verified and no secondary request or LoR Request! This thread needs more:

oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

Just curious...

God I love Iowa City. I have always assumed that based on it's location Mayo is more likely to draw quality applicants from the midwest relative to the coasts than some of the other elite med schools in more desirable locations.

Snuke! I just saw you were on this thread... I followed last year's thread, and was rooting for you... Did anyone show you some love last year?

For those who have been asking:
Primary verified - 6/29
MMS fee paid/receipt - 7/3
LOR request - 7/10

3.72s, 3.71c (undergraduate), 3.93c (graduate)
31S (B10, P10, V11) - first MCAT
34Q (B11, P12, V11) - second MCAT

Whew, you guys are crazy. I dare say, even crazier than last year. :laugh:

Yes, betheltim, I got lots of love last cycle. I'm very very happy where I ended up - Mayo was my dream, but I got my first choice. Good luck!

To everyone else:

Patience is needed
When applying to Mayo.
Just chill the hell out.

Whew, you guys are crazy. I dare say, even crazier than last year. :laugh:

Yes, bethletim, I got lots of love last cycle. I'm very very happy where I ended up - Mayo was my dream, but I got my first choice. Good luck!

To everyone else:

Patience is needed
When applying to Mayo.
Just chill the hell out.

I can't believe this is really happening...again.

Thanks for the advice
Snuke, but a prerequisite
for Mayo is stress.

:rolleyes:

:)love:)

Status
Not open for further replies.